Arsenio Oloroso

Default Fungus?

Cloud ears. Tree ears. "Dried fungus," "dried vegetable." What's the
difference?

A number of years ago, I cobbled my own recipe for Mu Shu Pork based on
a combination of cookbook recipes and what I could determine from
restaurant dishes I had ordered. I rather like what I've come up with.

But I've noticed that this key ingredient takes a number of
uninformative packaged forms in Asian grocery stores, i.e., "dried fungus."

Can anyone enlighten as to what to look for in purchasing this ingredient?

Steve Wertz

On Thu, 20 May 2004 19:40:16 -0500, Arsenio Oloroso
> wrote:

>Cloud ears. Tree ears. "Dried fungus," "dried vegetable." What's the
>difference?

Also, "Wood Ears". They're all the same.

There's a white fungus (white jelly, silver ear, silver fungus)
out there too, which is thinner and less crunchy. Used a lot in
soups and even some liquid refreshments.

>Can anyone enlighten as to what to look for in purchasing this ingredient?

Just look for unbroken, even black tops and unblemished brown/tan
undersides. Nicely trimmed at the root end, whole ones always
require trimming of the stump. It's pretty hard to go wrong -
I've never got a bad batch. I can even get them fresh, but
there's no advantage to this unless you like paying 10X than for
dried.

Always rehydrate less than you think you'll need.

-sw

Monroe, of course...

In article >, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

> Also, "Wood Ears".

<snip>

> Always rehydrate less than you think you'll need.

LOL! I guess we all learn that lesson the hard way.....

monroe(1 oz dry =10 lb hydrated)
Arsenio Oloroso

Steve Wertz wrote:

> Also, "Wood Ears". They're all the same.

I think there must be some difference. I remember the first several
packages I bought--labeled "cloud ears." The bits were small-ish and
rather delicate in shape. Color was black and grayish. They had a
"woodsy" smell.

The ones I see in the stores these days are a bit larger; they have
thicker skins; the color is black and tan and they have a slightly sour
smell.

fungus? Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 12 28-05-2011 03:20 PM
REC: Braised Fungus Arri London General Cooking 3 11-04-2005 01:53 PM
I drink mold&fungus tea Alberto Panno-Peano Tea 1 20-01-2004 11:05 AM
fungus on my bread Stan J. Lefosi Sourdough 13 05-11-2003 12:30 AM