Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

Default Need to convince the wife that it's crud on her countertop (notgrout)

On Thu, 30 May 2013 08:16:07 -0500, Attila Iskander wrote:

> 1)your wife cleans the counter regularly
> 2)Most food is NOT placed on the actual counter when being prepped

I was remiss in not mentioning that she rolls bread & pasta flour
on the counter top all the time (you'll notice the white powder
embedded in the "grout" cracks in the previous photo).

All "that" is in these:

Anyway, I will discreetly clean her counter top when she's not
in the kitchen (which is pretty much when she's sleeping) because
breakfast is ready (it's just missing the ice cream inside):

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking
Banned

On May 30, 6:41*am, Danny D > wrote:
> On Thu, 30 May 2013 08:16:07 -0500, Attila Iskander wrote:
> > 1)your wife cleans the counter regularly
> > 2)Most food is NOT placed on the actual counter when being prepped

> I was remiss in not mentioning that she rolls bread & pasta flour
> on the counter top all the time (you'll notice the white powder
> embedded in the "grout" cracks in the previous photo).
> *http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13190765.jpg
>
> All "that" is in these:
> *http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13190756.jpg
>
> Anyway, I will discreetly clean her counter top when she's not
> in the kitchen (which is pretty much when she's sleeping) because
> breakfast is ready (it's just missing the ice cream inside):
> *http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13190757.jpg

You might take a stab at cleaning the oven while you're at it. :-)

Seriusly though. There isn't much grout in that countertop. You
should have someone come and fix that problem for you and then you
won't have stuff hiding in there.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 May 2013 07:13:29 -0700, ImStillMags wrote:

> take a stab at cleaning the oven while you're at it.

I've never cleaned an oven before.
It would be interesting to see what's in the oven cleaners, and
then see if we can find the same stuff at the hardware store.

> You should have someone come and fix that problem for you

That wouldn't be in keeping with the charter of alt.home.repair!

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 May 2013 11:10:47 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> once an oven starts RUSTING means it's time to get a new oven.

That's the danger of posting pictures; people see how
you 'really' live!

Actually, that's not rust. I had a look and it's just
"crud" (from a pot-roast spill, I believe).

Q: What chemical do you use to clean these ovens?

Googling for "oven cleaner chemicals", I see this EPA article:
http://www.epa.gov/kidshometour/products/oclean.htm

Which says oven cleaners are just sodium or potassium hydroxide.
Hmmm... I wonder if the plumbing section at the hardware store
is where I should get my oven cleaner?

Have you ever tried the lye for plumbing in the oven?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> On Thu, 30 May 2013 07:13:29 -0700, ImStillMags wrote:
>
> > take a stab at cleaning the oven while you're at it.

> I've never cleaned an oven before.

I noticed (:-0

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 May 2013 13:41:58 +0000 (UTC), Danny D >
wrote:

> On Thu, 30 May 2013 08:16:07 -0500, Attila Iskander wrote:
>
> > 1)your wife cleans the counter regularly
> > 2)Most food is NOT placed on the actual counter when being prepped

> I was remiss in not mentioning that she rolls bread & pasta flour
> on the counter top all the time (you'll notice the white powder
> embedded in the "grout" cracks in the previous photo).
> http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13190765.jpg

Why don't you loosen your grip on your wallet and buy her a large poly
cutting board to roll her dough out on?
http://www.chefdepot.net/cutbrd.htm

Better yet, bite the bullet - replace those ugly tiles and put in a
seamless counter so she doesn't have to deal with grout or grout lines
and you won't feel the need to clean them. Prefabricated granite
slabs (cut to counter depth with one finished edge or island size with
4 finished edges) are very inexpensive these days and installation is
cheap.

> All "that" is in these:
> http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13190756.jpg
>
> Anyway, I will discreetly clean her counter top when she's not
> in the kitchen (which is pretty much when she's sleeping) because
> breakfast is ready (it's just missing the ice cream inside):
> http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13190757.jpg

Looks like my oven model. Older double oven Jenn-Air, no self-clean
in the lower unit?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 May 2013 09:01:50 -0700, Roy wrote:

> Please use proper gloves and use a recommended oven cleaner.

Makes no sense to clean an oven without understanding HOW
the oven cleaning process works (and what it is that is
happening to the crud, and what that crud actually is).

I looked up oven cleaners, and the EPA says they're just
potassium or sodium hydroxide but it doesn't say HOW they work
or what it is that they're cleaning.

Googling a bit more, I see that "saponification" of the baked
on oils and fats is apparently the main mechanism. Hmmm...
how does lye do that? I wonder...

Never having cleaned an oven, I wonder aloud why not just soap
& water; but then I read all the reports on how "elbow grease"
is the key ingredient for good results, despite manufacturer's
claims to the contrary.

Googling for "how oven cleaners actually work", I see people
recommend anything but soap and water!

They use:
a. Lye (sodium or potassium hydroxide)
b. Diethyl glycol alkyl ethers
c. Ethanolamine
d. Ammonia
e. Citrus oils
f. Baking soda + vinegar
g. Borax
h. Washing soda (whatever that is + dish detergent
i. Salt (sodium chloride)
(and probably a few more)

I'm going to sign up for Consumer Reports and see what they
have to say about how oven cleaners really work.

REF:
http://greenliving.nationalgeographi...ning-2677.html
http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-and...chemicals.aspx
http://housekeeping.about.com/od/pro...n-Cleaners.htm
http://www.slowyourhome.com/2012/05/...en-clean-oven/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 May 2013 07:13:29 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> Seriusly though. There isn't much grout in that countertop. You
> should have someone come and fix that problem for you and then you
> won't have stuff hiding in there.

Better yet, change the entire top.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

Danny D > writes:

> On Thu, 30 May 2013 11:10:47 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> once an oven starts RUSTING means it's time to get a new oven.

> That's the danger of posting pictures; people see how
> you 'really' live!
>
> Actually, that's not rust. I had a look and it's just
> "crud" (from a pot-roast spill, I believe).
>
> http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13192221.jpg
>
> Q: What chemical do you use to clean these ovens?
>
> Googling for "oven cleaner chemicals", I see this EPA article:
> http://www.epa.gov/kidshometour/products/oclean.htm
>
> Which says oven cleaners are just sodium or potassium hydroxide.
> Hmmm... I wonder if the plumbing section at the hardware store
> is where I should get my oven cleaner?
>
> Have you ever tried the lye for plumbing in the oven?

Caution.
Modern ovens are self cleaning.
Don't be going the chemical route on self cleaning ovens.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 May 2013 13:56:33 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

> Modern ovens are self cleaning.

It does have a "Clean" button, but I'll need to google
for the instructions to figure out how to use it.

(Or is it as simple as you just press the thing? Or
do you put water inside, or a cleaning solution?)

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

"Danny D" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 30 May 2013 13:56:33 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:
>
>> Modern ovens are self cleaning.

> It does have a "Clean" button, but I'll need to google
> for the instructions to figure out how to use it.
> http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13192686.jpg
>
> (Or is it as simple as you just press the thing? Or
> do you put water inside, or a cleaning solution?)

lol why do I get the impression you are trying to make fools of the good
folk here

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On 5/30/2013 10:10 AM, Danny D wrote:
> On Thu, 30 May 2013 11:10:47 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> once an oven starts RUSTING means it's time to get a new oven.

> That's the danger of posting pictures; people see how
> you 'really' live!
>
> Actually, that's not rust. I had a look and it's just
> "crud" (from a pot-roast spill, I believe).
>
> http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13192221.jpg
>
> Q: What chemical do you use to clean these ovens?
>
> Googling for "oven cleaner chemicals", I see this EPA article:
> http://www.epa.gov/kidshometour/products/oclean.htm
>
> Which says oven cleaners are just sodium or potassium hydroxide.
> Hmmm... I wonder if the plumbing section at the hardware store
> is where I should get my oven cleaner?
>
> Have you ever tried the lye for plumbing in the oven?

that's why god invented self cleaning ovens. i just run a cycle, and
there's nothing left but a white-ish powder. i just don't that often in
the summertime because it adds a lot of heat into the house.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in message
t...
> In article >, says...
>>
>> On Thu, 30 May 2013 07:13:29 -0700, ImStillMags wrote:
>>
>> > take a stab at cleaning the oven while you're at it.

>> I've never cleaned an oven before.

> I noticed (:-0
>
> Janet UK

Meoww...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 May 2013 17:02:13 +0000 (UTC), Danny D >
wrote:

>> take a stab at cleaning the oven while you're at it.

>I've never cleaned an oven before.

You missed out on some of your youth. Get with it.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

Ophelia > wrote:
> "Danny D" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 30 May 2013 13:56:33 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:
>>
>>> Modern ovens are self cleaning.

>> It does have a "Clean" button, but I'll need to google
>> for the instructions to figure out how to use it.
>> http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13192686.jpg
>>
>> (Or is it as simple as you just press the thing? Or
>> do you put water inside, or a cleaning solution?)

> lol why do I get the impression you are trying to make
> fools of the
> good folk here
>
> --

can you say "anal"?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

"Danny D" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 30 May 2013 13:56:33 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:
>
>> Modern ovens are self cleaning.

> It does have a "Clean" button, but I'll need to google
> for the instructions to figure out how to use it.
> http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13192686.jpg
>
> (Or is it as simple as you just press the thing? Or
> do you put water inside, or a cleaning solution?)

On mine, you press clean, then the option for how long you want to clean,
starts at 2 hours and you can increase or decrease. Within a minute the door
locks and the cleaning starts. When the cleaning is over, the door will stay
locked until cooling down is completed, then wipe down the whole interior
with a damp cloth, and a little elbow grease on the glass door. I love the
self cleaning ovens, but you do need to do it before the oven is completely
nasty to get the best results.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

Danny D > writes:

> On Thu, 30 May 2013 13:56:33 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:
>
>> Modern ovens are self cleaning.

> It does have a "Clean" button, but I'll need to google
> for the instructions to figure out how to use it.
> http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13192686.jpg
>
> (Or is it as simple as you just press the thing? Or
> do you put water inside, or a cleaning solution?)

Instructions are online.
Remove anything loose with damp rag,
close, engage lock, press clean.
Temperature in oven goes to 500F.

Turn on exhaust fan and do in summer with doors and windows open if you
can.

After done, wipe away ashes with damp rag.

Do not use cleaners ever.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

chaniarts wrote:

> that's why god invented self cleaning ovens. i just run a cycle, and
> there's nothing left but a white-ish powder. i just don't that often in
> the summertime because it adds a lot of heat into the house.

I have a very old stove/oven and it's self cleaning too - I clean it
myself. heheh I really don't do it often enough though...I wait until the
smoke alarm starts going off every time I use the oven. Eventually it
inspires me to clean it.

G.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

"Danny D" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 30 May 2013 13:56:33 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:
>
>> Modern ovens are self cleaning.

> It does have a "Clean" button, but I'll need to google
> for the instructions to figure out how to use it.
> http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13192686.jpg
>
> (Or is it as simple as you just press the thing? Or
> do you put water inside, or a cleaning solution?)

Do it at a time when it won't be needed. Live overnight. Be prepared for a
smokey smell. Push the button. Then slide the lock on the door. It's that
simple.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30/05/2013 5:35 PM, Gary wrote:
> chaniarts wrote:
>>
>> that's why god invented self cleaning ovens. i just run a cycle, and
>> there's nothing left but a white-ish powder. i just don't that often in
>> the summertime because it adds a lot of heat into the house.

> I have a very old stove/oven and it's self cleaning too - I clean it
> myself. heheh I really don't do it often enough though...I wait until the
> smoke alarm starts going off every time I use the oven. Eventually it
> inspires me to clean it.

My wife uses the smoke detector as a kitchen timer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 May 2013 17:10:49 +0000 (UTC), Danny D >
wrote:

> Actually, that's not rust. I had a look and it's just
> "crud" (from a pot-roast spill, I believe).
>
> http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13192221.jpg
>
> Q: What chemical do you use to clean these ovens?
>
> Googling for "oven cleaner chemicals", I see this EPA article:
> http://www.epa.gov/kidshometour/products/oclean.htm
>
> Which says oven cleaners are just sodium or potassium hydroxide.
> Hmmm... I wonder if the plumbing section at the hardware store
> is where I should get my oven cleaner?
>
> Have you ever tried the lye for plumbing in the oven?

Why don't you save yourself some time and buy regular oven cleaner
from the grocery store? I bought Easy Off (Fume Free) which put the
top of my stove back to factory new condition; so I don't see why it
wouldn't work just as well inside the oven too.

I need to remember how I cleaned crud off my oven window (I don't
think you're supposed to use oven cleaner and I know I didn't). It
was probably a paste of baking soda and peroxide that was allowed to
sit a while and then I took a razor blade to it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 May 2013 12:54:54 -0700, Cheri wrote:

> On mine, you press clean, then the option for how long you want to clean,

Thanks. I've actually never pressed the button, and the wife
will kill me if I do it in her presence as she has never done
it either.

I'll do it tonight, when she goes to bed.

I supposed it "burns" the crud off ... but I'll see what it
does.

I would have thought we would 'wet' it down first though ...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Caution.
> Modern ovens are self cleaning.
> Don't be going the chemical route on self cleaning ovens.

It's the continuous cleaning ovens that you have to be careful of, not
self-cleaning.

If that oven is the same as mine, the top oven self-cleans and the
bottom one is do-it-yourself. That's why I bake things that don't
make a mess (like bread) in the bottom oven and save anything messy
for the top one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 May 2013 18:10:04 +0000 (UTC), Danny D >
wrote:

> (Or is it as simple as you just press the thing? Or
> do you put water inside, or a cleaning solution?)

Just program it to clean and when - it will do the rest. Your
instruction manual will be online. I keep a copy of mine on my
computer desktop because I never remember how to program it to clean.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 May 2013 22:54:26 +0000 (UTC), Danny D >
wrote:

> I would have thought we would 'wet' it down first though ...

Why? Do you have any idea how hot the inside of an oven gets when
it's in self-clean mode? GIYF

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 May 2013 16:03:23 -0400, Dan Espen >
wrote:

> close, engage lock, press clean.
> Temperature in oven goes to 500F.

Are 12 year olds posting to alt. home repair? If it only went to
500°, there would be no reason for the door to lock.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 May 2013 17:35:46 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> chaniarts wrote:
> >
> > that's why god invented self cleaning ovens. i just run a cycle, and
> > there's nothing left but a white-ish powder. i just don't that often in
> > the summertime because it adds a lot of heat into the house.

> I have a very old stove/oven and it's self cleaning too - I clean it
> myself. heheh I really don't do it often enough though...I wait until the
> smoke alarm starts going off every time I use the oven. Eventually it
> inspires me to clean it.

After removing the crud I couldn't get off any other way from my
stovetop, I'm singing the praises of Easy Off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 May 2013 18:30:37 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 30/05/2013 5:35 PM, Gary wrote:
> > chaniarts wrote:
> >>
> >> that's why god invented self cleaning ovens. i just run a cycle, and
> >> there's nothing left but a white-ish powder. i just don't that often in
> >> the summertime because it adds a lot of heat into the house.

> > I have a very old stove/oven and it's self cleaning too - I clean it
> > myself. heheh I really don't do it often enough though...I wait until the
> > smoke alarm starts going off every time I use the oven. Eventually it
> > inspires me to clean it.

> My wife uses the smoke detector as a kitchen timer.

LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 30 May 2013 13:41:58 +0000 (UTC), Danny D >
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 30 May 2013 08:16:07 -0500, Attila Iskander wrote:
>>
>> > 1)your wife cleans the counter regularly
>> > 2)Most food is NOT placed on the actual counter when being prepped

>> I was remiss in not mentioning that she rolls bread & pasta flour
>> on the counter top all the time (you'll notice the white powder
>> embedded in the "grout" cracks in the previous photo).
>> http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13190765.jpg

> Why don't you loosen your grip on your wallet and buy her a large poly
> cutting board to roll her dough out on?
> http://www.chefdepot.net/cutbrd.htm

I never rolled anything out on my counter. Back when I did a lot of baking
and made pasta, I either used waxed paper or a pastry cloth. The pastry
cloth was washabe. I have never prepped any food right on my counter and
wouldn't.

> Better yet, bite the bullet - replace those ugly tiles and put in a
> seamless counter so she doesn't have to deal with grout or grout lines
> and you won't feel the need to clean them. Prefabricated granite
> slabs (cut to counter depth with one finished edge or island size with
> 4 finished edges) are very inexpensive these days and installation is
> cheap.

I would for sure do that!

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

"Danny D" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 30 May 2013 09:01:50 -0700, Roy wrote:
>
>> Please use proper gloves and use a recommended oven cleaner.

> Makes no sense to clean an oven without understanding HOW
> the oven cleaning process works (and what it is that is
> happening to the crud, and what that crud actually is).
>
> I looked up oven cleaners, and the EPA says they're just
> potassium or sodium hydroxide but it doesn't say HOW they work
> or what it is that they're cleaning.
>
> Googling a bit more, I see that "saponification" of the baked
> on oils and fats is apparently the main mechanism. Hmmm...
> how does lye do that? I wonder...
>
> Never having cleaned an oven, I wonder aloud why not just soap
> & water; but then I read all the reports on how "elbow grease"
> is the key ingredient for good results, despite manufacturer's
> claims to the contrary.
>
> Googling for "how oven cleaners actually work", I see people
> recommend anything but soap and water!
>
> They use:
> a. Lye (sodium or potassium hydroxide)
> b. Diethyl glycol alkyl ethers
> c. Ethanolamine
> d. Ammonia
> e. Citrus oils
> f. Baking soda + vinegar
> g. Borax
> h. Washing soda (whatever that is + dish detergent
> i. Salt (sodium chloride)
> (and probably a few more)
>
> I'm going to sign up for Consumer Reports and see what they
> have to say about how oven cleaners really work.
>
> REF:
> http://greenliving.nationalgeographi...ning-2677.html
> http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-and...chemicals.aspx
> http://housekeeping.about.com/od/pro...n-Cleaners.htm
> http://www.slowyourhome.com/2012/05/...en-clean-oven/

Do *not* use those if you have a self cleaning oven!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Danny D" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 30 May 2013 12:54:54 -0700, Cheri wrote:
>
>> On mine, you press clean, then the option for how long you want to clean,

> Thanks. I've actually never pressed the button, and the wife
> will kill me if I do it in her presence as she has never done
> it either.
>
> I'll do it tonight, when she goes to bed.
>
> I supposed it "burns" the crud off ... but I'll see what it
> does.
>
> I would have thought we would 'wet' it down first though ...

Not at all, it turns it to a fine gray ash that easily wipes away.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Danny D" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 30 May 2013 12:54:54 -0700, Cheri wrote:
>
>> On mine, you press clean, then the option for how long you want to clean,

> Thanks. I've actually never pressed the button, and the wife
> will kill me if I do it in her presence as she has never done
> it either.
>
> I'll do it tonight, when she goes to bed.
>
> I supposed it "burns" the crud off ... but I'll see what it
> does.
>
> I would have thought we would 'wet' it down first though ...

It does burn off and don't wet it!

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

sf > writes:

> On Thu, 30 May 2013 16:03:23 -0400, Dan Espen >
> wrote:
>
>> close, engage lock, press clean.
>> Temperature in oven goes to 500F.

> Are 12 year olds posting to alt. home repair? If it only went to
> 500°, there would be no reason for the door to lock.

Yes, at least one 12 year old.
The one that just calls names and contradicts without providing
any information.

I didn't look up the number, so call me names. We all know
smart adults like you are right all the time.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/30/2013 6:30 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 30/05/2013 5:35 PM, Gary wrote:
>> chaniarts wrote:
>>>
>>> that's why god invented self cleaning ovens. i just run a cycle, and
>>> there's nothing left but a white-ish powder. i just don't that often in
>>> the summertime because it adds a lot of heat into the house.

>> I have a very old stove/oven and it's self cleaning too - I clean it
>> myself. heheh I really don't do it often enough though...I wait
>> until the
>> smoke alarm starts going off every time I use the oven. Eventually it
>> inspires me to clean it.

> My wife uses the smoke detector as a kitchen timer.

My sister, too. It isn't that her oven or stovetop are cruddy, she just
uses too much heat. From the time her kids were little, she's say to
them "how do you know when dinner's ready?" the kids would answer back
"when the smoke alarm goes off".

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30/05/2013 9:45 PM, Cheryl wrote:

>>> I have a very old stove/oven and it's self cleaning too - I clean it
>>> myself. heheh I really don't do it often enough though...I wait
>>> until the
>>> smoke alarm starts going off every time I use the oven. Eventually it
>>> inspires me to clean it.

>> My wife uses the smoke detector as a kitchen timer.
>>

> My sister, too. It isn't that her oven or stovetop are cruddy, she just
> uses too much heat. From the time her kids were little, she's say to
> them "how do you know when dinner's ready?" the kids would answer back
> "when the smoke alarm goes off".

My wife isn't too bad with the oven temperature. Truth be known, she
tends to bake and roast at lower temperatures than I do. Stove top is
another better. I always think about Emeril's comments about why there
are numbers on the dials. They don't have to be on high all the time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30/05/2013 5:35 PM, Gary wrote:
> chaniarts wrote:
>>
>> that's why god invented self cleaning ovens. i just run a cycle, and
>> there's nothing left but a white-ish powder. i just don't that often in
>> the summertime because it adds a lot of heat into the house.

> I have a very old stove/oven and it's self cleaning too - I clean it
> myself. heheh I really don't do it often enough though...I wait until the
> smoke alarm starts going off every time I use the oven. Eventually it
> inspires me to clean it.

Even the label HEavy Duty Easy Off says not to use it on self cleaning
ovens, and IIRC, the instructions for my self cleaner say not to use it
on the oven itself and that racks should be taken out and use a cleaner
on them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 May 2013 14:50:24 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> >> My wife uses the smoke detector as a kitchen timer.
> >>

> > My sister, too. It isn't that her oven or stovetop are cruddy, she just
> > uses too much heat. From the time her kids were little, she's say to
> > them "how do you know when dinner's ready?" the kids would answer back
> > "when the smoke alarm goes off".
> >

> My wife isn't too bad with the oven temperature. Truth be known, she
> tends to bake and roast at lower temperatures than I do. Stove top is
> another better. I always think about Emeril's comments about why there
> are numbers on the dials. They don't have to be on high all the time.

Sometimes the smoke alarm itself is too sensitive. The one in my DD's
new house went off whenever she used her stovetop. They moved it
around the kitchen, putting it over various doors but it was just too
sensitive. You just reminded me that it didn't go off the last time I
was over; so they either moved it to a spot where it was happier,
replaced it or removed it entirely. I need to ask now that I'm
thinking about that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 31/05/2013 6:53 PM, sf wrote:

>> My wife isn't too bad with the oven temperature. Truth be known, she
>> tends to bake and roast at lower temperatures than I do. Stove top is
>> another better. I always think about Emeril's comments about why there
>> are numbers on the dials. They don't have to be on high all the time.

> Sometimes the smoke alarm itself is too sensitive. The one in my DD's
> new house went off whenever she used her stovetop. They moved it
> around the kitchen, putting it over various doors but it was just too
> sensitive. You just reminded me that it didn't go off the last time I
> was over; so they either moved it to a spot where it was happier,
> replaced it or removed it entirely. I need to ask now that I'm
> thinking about that.

Trust me sf. It is not a matter of the smoke detector being too
sensitive. I often smell the smoke long before the detector goes off.
The kitchen is a good place for a smoke detector because it is one of
the rooms in a house that is most likely to be the site of a fire. I had
to move ours away from the kitchen because it was going off way too often.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>Dave Smith > wrote:

>>> I have a very old stove/oven and it's self cleaning too - I clean it
>>> myself. heheh I really don't do it often enough though...I wait
>>> until the smoke alarm starts going off every time I use the oven.
>>> Eventually it inspires me to clean it.
>>>

>> Even the label HEavy Duty Easy Off says not to use it on self cleaning
>> ovens, and IIRC, the instructions for my self cleaner say not to use
>> it on the oven itself and that racks should be taken out and use a
>> cleaner on them.

My Kenmore self cleaning oven locked shut the one and only time I
tried to use the self-clean cycle. It was ~$150 to get it unlocked and
a new locking mechanism installed. But I don't trust it, and I won't
use that feature again.

What, exactly, does Easy Off do to an oven that's so bad?

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 May 2013 20:47:12 -0400, Doris Night
> wrote:

> My Kenmore self cleaning oven locked shut the one and only time I
> tried to use the self-clean cycle. It was ~$150 to get it unlocked and
> a new locking mechanism installed. But I don't trust it, and I won't
> use that feature again.

I've read that my oven does the same thing, but there's a trick to
opening it that can be Googled.

> What, exactly, does Easy Off do to an oven that's so bad?

From what I've read, nothing. It's the continuous cleaning ovens that
have some sort of coating on them that the oven cleaner can mess up.
You won't harm a self-cleaning oven if you use it, but you're
certainly defeating the purpose.

In any case, if you use oven cleaner on a self-cleaning oven, does it
really matter what happens? It won't short out or blow up on you and
that's all you need to know.

I can't help it if certain know it all boobs here don't know the
difference between a self-cleaning oven and a continuous cleaning
oven; but one you'll harm one and you won't harm the other. With you,
it doesn't matter because you aren't using the function anyway.