Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I ran out of powdered cayenne

So I did something different with seasoning the fried chicken.
3 T Penzey's Adobo seasoning
1 T Penzey's Northwoods seasoning.
1 T very finely ground salt
1/2 t MSG
about 2/3 cup of all purpose flour

My son said he liked it better than the way I usually make it.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 May 2013 11:29:40 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

> So I did something different with seasoning the fried chicken.
> 3 T Penzey's Adobo seasoning
> 1 T Penzey's Northwoods seasoning.
> 1 T very finely ground salt
> 1/2 t MSG
> about 2/3 cup of all purpose flour
>
> My son said he liked it better than the way I usually make it.

Have you ever tried chilie lime seasoning? I think that would work
too. http://www.tajin.com/en-us/clasico-polvo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 18, 2013 2:29:40 PM UTC-4, Bryan wrote:
> So I did something different with seasoning the fried chicken.
>
> 3 T Penzey's Adobo seasoning
>
> 1 T Penzey's Northwoods seasoning.
>
> 1 T very finely ground salt
>
> 1/2 t MSG
>
> about 2/3 cup of all purpose flour
>

> My son said he liked it better than the way I usually make it.
>

> --Bryan

Is Tiger Woods coming for dinner?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan > wrote:
> So I did something different with seasoning the fried chicken.
> 3 T Penzey's Adobo seasoning
> 1 T Penzey's Northwoods seasoning.
> 1 T very finely ground salt
> 1/2 t MSG
> about 2/3 cup of all purpose flour
>
> My son said he liked it better than the way I usually make it.
>
> --Bryan

I have a giant jar of cayenne from local packer, sold at my grocery for
cheap
I used my last bit of Scotts BBQ sauce tonight. Just mixed up a batch, with
vinegar and water. Cayenne, black pepper. Mrs. Dash, paprika. I think I
need more vinegar, and probably some salt.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>Bryan <bryanGAYsimmons> wrote:
>> So I did something different with seasoning the fried chicken.
>> 3 T Penzey's Adobo seasoning
>> 1 T Penzey's Northwoods seasoning.

>> 1 T very finely ground salt
>> 1/2 t MSG

>> about 2/3 cup of all purpose flour

That's an enormous quantity of sodium... and the first ingredient
listed in Northwoods Seasoning is flake salt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I empty a cayenne capsule into my 1/2 glass of tomato juice, the bottle
I opened a few days ago smells like cayenne but isn't hot at all.

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan[_6_] View Post
So I did something different with seasoning the fried chicken.
3 T Penzey's Adobo seasoning
1 T Penzey's Northwoods seasoning.
1 T very finely ground salt
1/2 t MSG
about 2/3 cup of all purpose flour

My son said he liked it better than the way I usually make it.

--Bryan
All cayenne pepper has to offer is heat. So unless somebody likes hot stuff should not hurt to omit it or sub it out for black pepper which is packed with good flavor. Would also suggest omitting the Msg. Appears to be highly dangerous stuff..ranks high on the killer scale right next to high fructose corn syrup. Would suggest heading to the trash with it.

Discovery Health "The Dangers of Monosodium Glutamate"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ran OUT? I think I am probably on still my second container in over 40 years of housekeeping. Using it up, a dash at a time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 May 2013 14:36:20 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> Ran OUT? I think I am probably on still my second container in over 40 years of housekeeping. Using it up, a dash at a time.

I didn't buy cayenne for decades, but I finally did - I've already
gone through my first bottle and I'm on to the next.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/05/2013 5:49 PM, sf wrote:

> I didn't buy cayenne for decades, but I finally did - I've already
> gone through my first bottle and I'm on to the next.

I should get some fresher cayenne. Someone threw a kitchen shower for my
wife and one of the gifts was spices, including some cayenne. That was
40 years ago and we are still working on it. I should get some fresh
stuff but I will have to be careful. It will be a lot more pronounced
than the 40 year old stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 24, 2013 4:36:20 PM UTC-5, Kalmia wrote:
> Ran OUT? I think I am probably on still my second container in over 40 years of housekeeping. Using it up, a dash at a time.

I bought a container of MSG that is about half the size of a Kraft Parmesan thing maybe 5 years ago, and don't expect to buy another for a long time, if ever. Now cayenne is the opposite. I use the shit out of that. I bought a pound at Penzey's yesterday, and figure that's going to last about a year or so. I like the way that they package in 4 oz bags, but give a discount if you buy two or four of them. Keeps fresher that way.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2013 11:49 AM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 24 May 2013 14:36:20 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>
>> Ran OUT? I think I am probably on still my second container in over 40 years of housekeeping. Using it up, a dash at a time.

> I didn't buy cayenne for decades, but I finally did - I've already
> gone through my first bottle and I'm on to the next.

You might like Korean chili pepper powder. I like it because of it's
beautiful deep red color and unusual fine grind. That stuff is almost as
fine as flour. Neat!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25/05/2013 7:45 AM, dsi1 wrote:

>> My Sore Guts
>>
>> When I was working we often went out for dinner, often to our favourite
>> Chinese restaurant. A couple times we went to it's cheaper competition.
>> They used a lot of MSG and they had a Thursday night special for $4.25
>> (this was a few years ago). There was a race back to our station. We
>> had only one toilet. I had that job for 18 years and we only went to
>> that place twice. The MSG reaction was fast and it hit all of us.
>>

> The thing is that Chinese food contains a bunch of things that people
> don't usually eat. It's way too easy to blame the usual suspect that
> everybody thinks is guilty. My guess is that your reaction could have
> been from mycotoxins in the rice.

Yeahbut.... we used to eat Chinese food frequently. We used to eat at
the Chinese place across the road from that one a couple times a week.
It wasn't like we were were newly exposed to Chinese ingredients, and we
were eating standard Cantonese fair, nothing exotic. We all used
reactions to the high level of MSG they used.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 May 2013 01:50:21 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> On 5/24/2013 11:49 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 24 May 2013 14:36:20 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Ran OUT? I think I am probably on still my second container in over 40 years of housekeeping. Using it up, a dash at a time.

> > I didn't buy cayenne for decades, but I finally did - I've already
> > gone through my first bottle and I'm on to the next.
> >

> You might like Korean chili pepper powder. I like it because of it's
> beautiful deep red color and unusual fine grind. That stuff is almost as
> fine as flour. Neat!

I don't think I've ever noticed it, but I'll look for it now that I
know it exists. I have a huge tub of that Korean chili paste now, so
I won't be needing it any time soon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 May 2013 03:43:56 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

> I like the way that they package in 4 oz bags, but give a discount if you buy two or four of them. Keeps fresher that way.

Do you store them in the refrigerator or freezer? I would.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 25/05/2013 7:45 AM, dsi1 wrote:
>

> > > My Sore Guts
> > >
> > > When I was working we often went out for dinner, often to our
> > > favourite Chinese restaurant. A couple times we went to it's
> > > cheaper competition.
> >> They used a lot of MSG and they had a Thursday night special for

> $4.25
> > > (this was a few years ago). There was a race back to our station.
> > > We had only one toilet. I had that job for 18 years and we only
> > > went to that place twice. The MSG reaction was fast and it hit
> > > all of us.
> > >

> > The thing is that Chinese food contains a bunch of things that
> > people don't usually eat. It's way too easy to blame the usual
> > suspect that everybody thinks is guilty. My guess is that your
> > reaction could have been from mycotoxins in the rice.

> Yeahbut.... we used to eat Chinese food frequently. We used to eat at
> the Chinese place across the road from that one a couple times a
> week. It wasn't like we were were newly exposed to Chinese
> ingredients, and we were eating standard Cantonese fair, nothing
> exotic. We all used reactions to the high level of MSG they used.

Nope, the other places had MSG as well. Same levels.

You got some bad food is all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25/05/2013 2:38 PM, cshenk wrote:
reaction could have been from mycotoxins in the rice.

>> Yeahbut.... we used to eat Chinese food frequently. We used to eat at
>> the Chinese place across the road from that one a couple times a
>> week. It wasn't like we were were newly exposed to Chinese
>> ingredients, and we were eating standard Cantonese fair, nothing
>> exotic. We all used reactions to the high level of MSG they used.

> Nope, the other places had MSG as well. Same levels.
>
> You got some bad food is all.

Oh? We ate there twice and the gastric effects were very quick, but,
thankfully, short lived.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2013 2:29 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Yeahbut.... we used to eat Chinese food frequently. We used to eat at
> the Chinese place across the road from that one a couple times a week.
> It wasn't like we were were newly exposed to Chinese ingredients, and we
> were eating standard Cantonese fair, nothing exotic. We all used
> reactions to the high level of MSG they used.

I understand what you're saying however, if I got sick after eating at a
Chinese restaurant, MSG would be the last thing that I'd consider being
the culprit. My number one rule of Chinese restaurant is to avoid
finding out what goes on in the kitchens at all cost.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2013 4:22 AM, sf wrote:

> I don't think I've ever noticed it, but I'll look for it now that I
> know it exists. I have a huge tub of that Korean chili paste now, so
> I won't be needing it any time soon.

It's sold in Korean markets in big bags and is relatively cheap. The
Koreans must eat a lot of it! Make sure you get the fine powder. I was
somewhat disappointed that it's not as hot as I though it would be but
you're just going to use more of the stuff. If you use it in bread
dough, it turns out a funky orange.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2013 11:40 AM, sf wrote:

> Thanks. I'm pretty sure I will find it. We have a couple of big
> Asian groceries nearby and one is owned by Koreans. If it's not there
> (the chili paste wasn't) I'll go back where I found the chili paste
> and I'll probably find it there.

I went a little nuts with the chili powder when I got it. I was putting
it in everything. I coated chicken and meatloaf with the stuff. It was a
lot of fun. Good luck.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:
> On Sat, 25 May 2013 03:43:56 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> > wrote:
>
>> I like the way that they package in 4 oz bags, but give a discount if
>> you buy two or four of them. Keeps fresher that way.

> Do you store them in the refrigerator or freezer? I would.

I don't think the high wind is good for anything but glass jars.
Polyethylene is not good for keeping freshness. I store my homemade
habanero powder in bell jars, even so, it degenerates over a period of
years. I also add salt.

I get 6 oz containers at my grocery. It's packed by a local source, and
they sell for $4-5 . I can also buy any quantity from another Italian
store, which carries most spices in bulk.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 May 2013 01:34:19 +0000 (UTC), gregz >
wrote:

> sf > wrote:
> > On Sat, 25 May 2013 03:43:56 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I like the way that they package in 4 oz bags, but give a discount if
> >> you buy two or four of them. Keeps fresher that way.

> > Do you store them in the refrigerator or freezer? I would.

> I don't think the high wind is good for anything but glass jars.

I don't know what you mean by "high wind".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 25, 2013 11:36:47 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 26 May 2013 01:34:19 +0000 (UTC), gregz >
>
> wrote:
>

> > sf > wrote:

> > > On Sat, 25 May 2013 03:43:56 -0700 (PDT), Bryan

> > > Do you store them in the refrigerator or freezer? I would.

> > I don't think the high wind is good for anything but glass jars.

> I don't know what you mean by "high wind".

High wind is a belch, and low wind is a fart. And, no, I haven't started drinking at 3:30.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 May 2013 13:31:53 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

> On Saturday, May 25, 2013 11:36:47 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 26 May 2013 01:34:19 +0000 (UTC), gregz >
> >
> > wrote:

> > > I don't think the high wind is good for anything but glass jars.

> > I don't know what you mean by "high wind".
> >

> High wind is a belch, and low wind is a fart. And, no, I haven't started drinking at 3:30.

So you belch into glass jars? That makes absolutely no sense to me
when the topic at hand is storing 4 oz packages of cayenne.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:
> On Sun, 26 May 2013 01:34:19 +0000 (UTC), gregz >
> wrote:
>
>> sf > wrote:
>>> On Sat, 25 May 2013 03:43:56 -0700 (PDT), Bryan

>>> Do you store them in the refrigerator or freezer? I would.

>> I don't think the high wind is good for anything but glass jars.

> I don't know what you mean by "high wind".

Frost free fan circulation.

Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gregz > wrote:
> sf > wrote:
>> On Sun, 26 May 2013 01:34:19 +0000 (UTC), gregz >
>> wrote:

>>> I don't think the high wind is good for anything but glass jars.

>> I don't know what you mean by "high wind".
>>

> Frost free fan circulation.
>
> Greg

That's what I always hated about frost free. Flavors intermingle or
dissipate, and things dry out. Not as much of a problem with old fashioned
boxes.

Greg

Cayenne Shortbread Edoc Recipes (moderated) 0 15-11-2004 06:24 PM
cayenne question PENMART01 General Cooking 3 20-10-2004 02:42 AM
Hot cayenne peppers. sandy Preserving 18 16-08-2004 05:31 PM
I bought powdered cayenne pepper Scopophobic General Cooking 10 21-12-2003 10:18 PM
Help Please - Cayenne Keith Ginger Asian Cooking 8 25-10-2003 08:04 PM