Keith Ginger

Default Help Please - Cayenne

Folks,

I have a recipe from a Sainsbury book: "Curries and Oriental Cookery" by
Josceline Dimbleby.It is "Grilled Chicken Strips" and she uses Cayenne
Pepper.

I am struggling to get hold of any cayenne, and indeed ground cloves. For
the cayenne could I substitute extra hot chilli powder?

Grateful for any advice.

Keith

B.Server

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 11:46:03 +0000 (UTC), "Keith Ginger"
> wrote:

>Folks,
>
>I have a recipe from a Sainsbury book: "Curries and Oriental Cookery" by
>Josceline Dimbleby.It is "Grilled Chicken Strips" and she uses Cayenne
>Pepper.
>
>I am struggling to get hold of any cayenne, and indeed ground cloves. For
>the cayenne could I substitute extra hot chilli powder?
>
>Grateful for any advice.
>
>Keith

Try to find plain ground chilies. "Chile powder" is frequently a
blend with a lot of cumin in it. It may not be the taste that you are
looking for. Alternatively, buzz some dried whole hot chiles in
blender and use that.
John Droge

"Keith Ginger" > wrote in message
> Folks,
>
> I have a recipe from a Sainsbury book: "Curries and Oriental Cookery" by
> Josceline Dimbleby.It is "Grilled Chicken Strips" and she uses Cayenne
> Pepper.
>
> I am struggling to get hold of any cayenne, and indeed ground cloves. For
> the cayenne could I substitute extra hot chilli powder?
>
> Grateful for any advice.
>
> Keith
>
> At the risk of being to obvious I have never been in a super market in the

US that didn't have ground cayenne in it, from generic to boutique brands or
does it ask for whole cayenne peppers? The boutique brands usually have
whole most everything too, very trendy these days, ya know what I mean?
John

Peter Dy

"John Droge" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "Keith Ginger" > wrote in message
> > Folks,
> >
> > I have a recipe from a Sainsbury book: "Curries and Oriental Cookery" by
> > Josceline Dimbleby.It is "Grilled Chicken Strips" and she uses Cayenne
> > Pepper.
> >
> > I am struggling to get hold of any cayenne, and indeed ground cloves.

For
> > the cayenne could I substitute extra hot chilli powder?
> >
> > Grateful for any advice.
> >
> > Keith
> >
> > At the risk of being to obvious I have never been in a super market in

the
> US that didn't have ground cayenne in it, from generic to boutique brands

or
> does it ask for whole cayenne peppers?

You forgot about the ground cloves part.

Peter

"Peter Dy" > wrote:
> []
>
> You forgot about the ground cloves part.

Cloves don't grow on the ground, they grow on apples.

--
Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley www.boonchoo.com
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended

Dr.Needles

>> At the risk of being to obvious I have never been in a super market in the

>US that didn't have ground cayenne in it, from generic to boutique brands or
>does it ask for whole cayenne peppers? The boutique brands usually have
>whole most everything too, very trendy these days, ya know what I mean?
>John

I used to think that until I actually tried to buy some. I went to 3
major chains in both NJ & NYC and none of them had it.
John Droge

"Dr.Needles" > wrote in message

> >> At the risk of being to obvious I have never been in a super market in

the
> >US that didn't have ground cayenne in it, from generic to boutique brands

or
> >does it ask for whole cayenne peppers? The boutique brands usually have
> >whole most everything too, very trendy these days, ya know what I mean?
> >John
> >

> I used to think that until I actually tried to buy some. I went to 3
> major chains in both NJ & NYC and none of them had it.

I've been west for 32 years but my mom and dad had them in the Deli's they
owned both in Brooklyn and New Rochelle when I was growing up, They'd never
use them themselves (except cloves on a ham) but they stocked them. Guess
times change. I have in recent years gotten cayenne in both Cocoa Beach Fl.
and Novato Calif.
John

John Droge

> wrote in message
> "Peter Dy" > wrote:
> > []
> >
> > You forgot about the ground cloves part.
> >

> Cloves don't grow on the ground, they grow on apples.
>
> --
> Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley www.boonchoo.com
> "Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
> victims are defenseless is bad public policy."
> - John Ross, "Unintended Consequences"

Like I said "...risk..." Knowing full well what was going to happen. But
did I let that stop me? Noooo!!
Well Excuuuuse Meeee!!!

John

Frogleg

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 11:46:03 +0000 (UTC), "Keith Ginger"
> wrote:

>I have a recipe from a Sainsbury book: "Curries and Oriental Cookery" by
>Josceline Dimbleby.It is "Grilled Chicken Strips" and she uses Cayenne
>Pepper.
>
>I am struggling to get hold of any cayenne, and indeed ground cloves. For
>the cayenne could I substitute extra hot chilli powder?

Cayenne is a relatively hot chile pepper. Recipes which specify a tsp
or 1/2 tsp mean the dried, ground substance that grows in a jar or
tin. :-) The problem with "chilli powder" is that it is (usually) a
mixture including salt, ground chile, garlic, onion, oregano, and
almost always, cumin. Hot *ground chile* is a good substitute if you
can't find cayenne. If you have access to an Asian market, they should
have it in some form.

I've never seen a US grocery store without ground cloves on the shelf.
Since I use it infrequently and in small quantities (and it lasts
practically forever), I haven't bought any in some time. Some stores
have taken to arranging their herb/spice collections oddly -- by brand
or size container, and not alphabetically. Cloves are usually
considered a seasoning for sweets and baked goods in the US, so if
your market has a 'baking' separate section, look there.