Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default spices

I have received nutmeg, curry, clove, ginger, saffron and cinnamon in powder form.

Does anyone have any suggestions if I can combine 2or 3 of the above for a meat rub, marinade, or sauce?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 16:17:02 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

> curry

Curry? Curry what? Leaves? Mix?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>

> I have received nutmeg, curry, clove, ginger, saffron and cinnamon in
> powder form.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions if I can combine 2or 3 of the above for a
> meat rub, marinade, or sauce?

You could but those things would not be to my tastes so I wouldn't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Have you ever eaten gorton (sometimes called creton)? It's a French Canadian pork spread made with ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and allspice. It would use many of your listed spices. It calls for one lb. of ground pork, 1/2 tsp of each of the spices listed, plus onions, salt, pepper and water, simmered for a couple hours then creamed with an immersion blender. It's used for sandwiches or on crackers.

Denise in NH

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 13:28:24 +0100, Janet > wrote:

> Why not borrow a book on spices from your local library, they will
> give you a better idea what goes with what and how to use them. Then
> use one at a time, for instance apple pie with cinnamon, so you know
> what each tastes like.

It's even easier to google.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/15/2013 1:44 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 13:28:24 +0100, Janet > wrote:
>
>> Why not borrow a book on spices from your local library, they will
>> give you a better idea what goes with what and how to use them. Then
>> use one at a time, for instance apple pie with cinnamon, so you know
>> what each tastes like.

> It's even easier to google.

Once more; have a look at Gernot Katzer's spice pages:

http://gernot-katzers-spice-pages.com/engl/index.html

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Marwari Spices and Pulses is a manufacturer of spices used as food flavoring. spicespulses Recipes 0 19-11-2010 04:38 PM
top spices? StaceyB General Cooking 30 07-02-2010 07:26 PM
How old are your spices? Becca General Cooking 32 16-10-2009 06:17 PM
Spices... ChattyCathy General Cooking 22 12-08-2007 04:55 PM
Spices ypauls General Cooking 22 18-03-2004 01:58 PM