Member

Location: Newton Heath, Manchester
Default top spices?

this is my first post so hello everybody!

i love cooking, i can't claim to be an expert but i do love it so i'm hoping to pick up a few hints and tips from here - sounds like you're all masterchefs compared to me!

anyway, i want to invest in a good spice rack but have unbelievable limited space in my kitchen so may just have to stick to the pots for now - do you all have a top 5 spices that are essential and versatile?

thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

StaceyB wrote:
> this is my first post so hello everybody!
>
> i love cooking, i can't claim to be an expert but i do love it so i'm
> hoping to pick up a few hints and tips from here - sounds like you're
> all masterchefs compared to me!
>
> anyway, i want to invest in a good spice rack but have unbelievable
> limited space in my kitchen so may just have to stick to the pots for
> now - do you all have a top 5 spices that are essential and versatile?

It all depends on what you like to cook! Every poster here will
probably have a different list. I couldn't limit myself to 5 since I
have well over 75 spices and blends, three full shelves and a drawerful.

Limited to 5, I suggest:

basil
cumin
black pepper
cinnamon
cayenne or chile powder

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Feb 3, 3:49 am, StaceyB >
wrote:
> [snip]
> anyway, i want to invest in a good spice rack but have unbelievable
> limited space in my kitchen so may just have to stick to the pots for
> now - do you all have a top 5 spices that are essential and versatile?

What kind of food do you like? French, Italian, Lebanese, Chinese--
will suggest different spice collections. And you probably mean to
include dried herbs, too, don't you?

I'd suggest you just accumulate spices and herbs as you go, getting
something new when a recipe calls for it. It won't take long to
exceed five.....

For future reference here is a website that explicates in some detail
117 herbs, spices and flavorings:
http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/index.html
It's also referenced in this group's FAQ.

If your living conditions permit, growing your own fresh herbs is
highly rewarding. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 3, 6:49*am, StaceyB >
do you all have a top 5 spices that are essential and versatile?

I constantly reach for the oregano, basil, parsley, garlic powder, and
curry powder.

If you buy Penzey's smallest size, you can jam a bunch into a drawer.
You might also want to get their blends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 3, 11:15*am, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> StaceyB wrote:
> > this is my first post so hello everybody!

> > i love cooking, i can't claim to be an expert but i do love it so i'm
> > hoping to pick up a few hints and tips from here - sounds like you're
> > all masterchefs compared to me!

> > anyway, i want to invest in a good spice rack but have unbelievable
> > limited space in my kitchen so may just have to stick to the pots for
> > now - do you all have a top 5 spices that are essential and versatile?

> It all depends on what you like to cook! *Every poster here will
> probably have a different list. *I couldn't limit myself to 5 since I
> have well over 75 spices and blends, three full shelves and a drawerful.
>
> Limited to 5, I suggest:
>
> basil
> cumin
> black pepper
> cinnamon
> cayenne or chile powder
>
> gloria p

I'd be interested in knowing what you put in your fish blend.
Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 06:49:45 -0500, StaceyB >
wrote:

>this is my first post so hello everybody!
>
>i love cooking, i can't claim to be an expert but i do love it so i'm
>hoping to pick up a few hints and tips from here - sounds like you're
>all masterchefs compared to me!
>
>anyway, i want to invest in a good spice rack but have unbelievable
>limited space in my kitchen so may just have to stick to the pots for
>now - do you all have a top 5 spices that are essential and versatile?
>
>thanks!

Depends on what you cook, with me it's mostly soups and stews so:

Black Pepper ( usually cracked or coarse ground)
Basil
Bay leaf
Fennel (so call me radical)
Garlic (if you'll allow it's a spice)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p wrote:
> StaceyB wrote:
>> this is my first post so hello everybody!
>>
>> i love cooking, i can't claim to be an expert but i do love it so i'm
>> hoping to pick up a few hints and tips from here - sounds like you're
>> all masterchefs compared to me!
>>
>> anyway, i want to invest in a good spice rack but have unbelievable
>> limited space in my kitchen so may just have to stick to the pots for
>> now - do you all have a top 5 spices that are essential and versatile?
>>

> It all depends on what you like to cook! Every poster here will
> probably have a different list. I couldn't limit myself to 5 since I
> have well over 75 spices and blends, three full shelves and a drawerful.
>
> Limited to 5, I suggest:
>
> basil
> cumin
> black pepper
> cinnamon
> cayenne or chile powder
>
> gloria p

Erm, I can't do that. In fact, my new K doesn't have a place for
my spices, so the whole alphabetized mess will have to go into the
room that are designated as a pantry.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"StaceyB" > wrote in message

> this is my first post so hello everybody!
>
> i love cooking, i can't claim to be an expert but i do love it so i'm
> hoping to pick up a few hints and tips from here - sounds like you're
> all masterchefs compared to me!
>
> anyway, i want to invest in a good spice rack but have unbelievable
> limited space in my kitchen so may just have to stick to the pots for
> now - do you all have a top 5 spices that are essential and versatile?

It may not be as handy, but they can be stored in another room of the house
and gathered as needed.

For us, it is:
Peppercorns
Oregano
Garlic
Basil
Cinnamon

In addition, we have probably another 25 or 30 and some in multiple forms.

We have 3 kinds of peppercorns, fresh garlic, powdered, granulated, two
paprika, you get the idea. Put a few jars in your underwear drawer so you
can have a variety as needed. Some spices are seldom used so we buy the
smallest package and it takes little space.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"StaceyB" > wrote in message

> this is my first post so hello everybody!
>
> i love cooking, i can't claim to be an expert but i do love it so i'm
> hoping to pick up a few hints and tips from here - sounds like you're
> all masterchefs compared to me!
>
> anyway, i want to invest in a good spice rack but have unbelievable
> limited space in my kitchen so may just have to stick to the pots for
> now - do you all have a top 5 spices that are essential and versatile?
>
> thanks!
> StaceyB

There are wire shelving units that hang over the back of a door. There are
other units that can be attached to the inside face of the cupboard door.
Don't forget about the space on top of the fridge for one of those spin
around spice units.
I'd start with:
granulated garlic
basil
oregano
pepper
ginger

That should allow you to season chicken, fish, steaks, beef and pork. Also
put together simple marinades and simple Italian-style meals. With some
chili powder, you could also make some chili and simple Mexican-style meals.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
StaceyB > wrote:

> this is my first post so hello everybody!
>
> i love cooking, i can't claim to be an expert but i do love it so i'm
> hoping to pick up a few hints and tips from here - sounds like you're
> all masterchefs compared to me!
>
> anyway, i want to invest in a good spice rack but have unbelievable
> limited space in my kitchen so may just have to stick to the pots for
> now - do you all have a top 5 spices that are essential and versatile?
>
> thanks!

Black peppercorns
Salt
Basil
Dillweed
Chili powder

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller; new entries posted 2-2-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 3, 3:49*am, StaceyB >
wrote:
> this is my first post so hello everybody!
>
> i love cooking, i can't claim to be an expert but i do love it so i'm
> hoping to pick up a few hints and tips from here - sounds like you're
> all masterchefs compared to me!
>
> anyway, i want to invest in a good spice rack but have unbelievable
> limited space in my kitchen so may just have to stick to the pots for
> now - do you all have a top 5 spices that are essential and versatile?
>
> thanks! *

> StaceyB

Hi Stacey, I don't know what part of the world you live in, but I
have one particular blend that I use for a LOT of things,
it's an all purpose creole seasoning called Tony Chachere's. If you
can find it in a store near you. Get some. I use it on poultry and
meats that I'm going to saute and brown off for a recipe, I use it in
the flour for a dredge for chicken or fish, I use it in recipes, I use
it in soups and stews. It's the best all purpose seasoning that I've
ever found. Other chefs have their own brand name seasonings but
Tony's is the oldest and the best IMHO.

Here's what the package looks like:

http://www.tonychachere.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Welcome to the group. If you are not counting salt & pepper:

basil
oregano
cumin
chili powder
cinnamon

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"StaceyB" > wrote in message

> this is my first post so hello everybody!
>
> i love cooking, i can't claim to be an expert but i do love it so i'm
> hoping to pick up a few hints and tips from here - sounds like you're
> all masterchefs compared to me!
>
> anyway, i want to invest in a good spice rack but have unbelievable
> limited space in my kitchen so may just have to stick to the pots for
> now - do you all have a top 5 spices that are essential and versatile?
>
> thanks!

Unless you are a *very* frequent user of herbs and spices of all kinds,
spice racks have no place in that warm place called a kitchen. They go
stale too quickly in such an environment. As I cook mostly for one, or some
herbs and spices are used only in xmas baking, I keep them all in the door
of the freezer.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

beau monde. Other than that, just the usual suspects.

Oh, and Tony Cachere's Cajun seasoning.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
On Feb 3, 3:49 am, StaceyB >
wrote:
> this is my first post so hello everybody!
>
> i love cooking, i can't claim to be an expert but i do love it so i'm
> hoping to pick up a few hints and tips from here - sounds like you're
> all masterchefs compared to me!
>
> anyway, i want to invest in a good spice rack but have unbelievable
> limited space in my kitchen so may just have to stick to the pots for
> now - do you all have a top 5 spices that are essential and versatile?
>
> thanks!

> StaceyB

Hi Stacey, I don't know what part of the world you live in, but I
have one particular blend that I use for a LOT of things,
it's an all purpose creole seasoning called Tony Chachere's. If you
can find it in a store near you. Get some. I use it on poultry and
meats that I'm going to saute and brown off for a recipe, I use it in
the flour for a dredge for chicken or fish, I use it in recipes, I use
it in soups and stews. It's the best all purpose seasoning that I've
ever found. Other chefs have their own brand name seasonings but
Tony's is the oldest and the best IMHO.

Here's what the package looks like:

http://www.tonychachere.com/

i get chided regularly for using Tony's on a lot of foods. The only thing I
haven't tried it on yet is ice cream.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"StaceyB" > wrote in message

> this is my first post so hello everybody!
>
> i love cooking, i can't claim to be an expert but i do love it so i'm
> hoping to pick up a few hints and tips from here - sounds like you're
> all masterchefs compared to me!
>
> anyway, i want to invest in a good spice rack but have unbelievable
> limited space in my kitchen so may just have to stick to the pots for
> now - do you all have a top 5 spices that are essential and versatile?
>
> thanks!

> StaceyB

What everyone else has told you is true. One of my must haves is Dill.
What I find is that if you start with about five or six basic spices, then
as you experiment with new recipes you will find that you need to buy this
or that spice for a particular dish. After a time you will have a well
stocked spice cabinet of things you will most likely really use.

Dale P

Member

Location: Newton Heath, Manchester

Wow thanks everyone - I really do have a lot to learn! I will start my collection this weekend. Can't decide what with though now so I'll probably just clear a space in the living room for them all!

Thanks again,

Stacey
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 4, 6:30*am, StaceyB >
wrote:
> Wow thanks everyone - I really do have a lot to learn! *I will start my
> collection this weekend. Can't decide what with though now so I'll
> probably just clear a space in the living room for them all!
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Stacey
>
> --
> StaceyB

LOL! Oh, and buy the little containers of herbs and spices, If you
don't use them everyday the bigger containers, the
'regular' sized ones, will be long dead and stale before you can use
them up.

Even better, use fresh herbs if you can....or grow some in pots or in
your garden if you have one, even a flower bed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 4, 8:30*am, StaceyB >
wrote:
> Wow thanks everyone - I really do have a lot to learn! *I will start my
> collection this weekend. Can't decide what with though now so I'll
> probably just clear a space in the living room for them all!

Black pepper, red pepper, bay leaf, rubbed sage, cinnamon.

> Thanks again,
>
> Stacey
>
> --
> StaceyB

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

StaceyB wrote:
> Wow thanks everyone - I really do have a lot to learn! I will start my
> collection this weekend. Can't decide what with though now so I'll
> probably just clear a space in the living room for them all!

<confused> Why would you want them in the living room??

I keep my spices in the freezer. Close at hand, easy to access,
protected from light and heat damage, and yet OUT OF THE WAY!

Have you looked at Penzey's?? www.penzeys.com
They're great and you can buy small amounts. Wonderfully fresh too. They
have nice "starter" or gift packs you might be interested in?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> do you all have a top 5 spices that are essential and versatile?

Pepper
Dried Lemon Peel
Dill Weed
Basil
Thyme or Oregano

McCormick makes a wonderful Italian Spice Mix that is pretty versatile.
Just vary the amount you use.

Rosemary has it's variety of uses too.

I really would hate to limit myself to 5. <g>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
"Janet Bostwick" > wrote:

> I'd start with:
> granulated garlic
> basil
> oregano
> pepper
> ginger

Oh yeah. Forgot the granulated garlic. That's pretty indispensable.
Powered Onion is pretty good too.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Becca >
wrote:

> Welcome to the group. If you are not counting salt & pepper:
>
> basil
> oregano
> cumin
> chili powder
> cinnamon
>

> Becca

<lol> With that list, the first thing that crossed my mind was to add
unsweetened cocoa powder!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
"Dale P" > wrote:

> What everyone else has told you is true. One of my must haves is Dill.
> What I find is that if you start with about five or six basic spices, then
> as you experiment with new recipes you will find that you need to buy this
> or that spice for a particular dish. After a time you will have a well
> stocked spice cabinet of things you will most likely really use.
>
> Dale P

Yep!

I've recently added Mace, Paprika and Allspice to my repertoire.
Part of my sausage making hobby...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 15:18:40 -0600, Omelet wrote:

> In article > ,
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
>
>> I'd start with:
>> granulated garlic
>> basil
>> oregano
>> pepper
>> ginger

> Oh yeah. Forgot the granulated garlic. That's pretty indispensable.

i hate to sound like a rube, but i've never used the stuff. in marinades
or dressings and the like, it's the chopped garlic in a jar or fresh
garlic. what do people use it for?

> Powered Onion is pretty good too.

powdered onion or onion salt just seems nasty to me. i use dehydrated
onion flakes for a few things. (i know some will say the powder is just
the flakes pulverized, but it doesn't seem like that to me.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
news
> On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 15:18:40 -0600, Omelet wrote:
>
>> In article > ,
>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
>>
>>> I'd start with:
>>> granulated garlic
>>> basil
>>> oregano
>>> pepper
>>> ginger

>> Oh yeah. Forgot the granulated garlic. That's pretty indispensable.

> i hate to sound like a rube, but i've never used the stuff. in marinades
> or dressings and the like, it's the chopped garlic in a jar or fresh
> garlic. what do people use it for?
>
>> Powered Onion is pretty good too.

> powdered onion or onion salt just seems nasty to me. i use dehydrated
> onion flakes for a few things. (i know some will say the powder is just
> the flakes pulverized, but it doesn't seem like that to me.
>
> your pal,
> blake

I've never used garlic in a jar. I do use fresh garlic. If I want to
season chicken or something like that for the oven, I will sprinkle with
granulated garlic, salt and pepper. I prefer granulated garlic for making
garlic butter because the taste isn't so harsh. I can't think of all the
things I use it for. It's just always there, I'm never out.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 06:49:45 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, StaceyB
> wrote,
>now - do you all have a top 5 spices that are essential and versatile?

Approximate tabulation of votes so far. Apologies for any I missed.

1 bay leaf
1 beau monde
1 curry powder
1 fennel
1 ginger
1 onion
1 paprika
1 parsley
1 rosemary
1 salt
1 thyme
1 turmeric
2 cayenne
2 cumin
2 dill
3 chili powder
3 cinnamon
4 oregano
6 garlic
8 basil
8 black pepper

Posted to rec.food.cooking

David Harmon wrote:
>StaceyB wrote,
>>now - do you all have a top 5 spices that are essential and versatile?

>Approximate tabulation of votes so far. Apologies for any I missed.

Most are NOT spices.... only six of your entries are spices.

> 1 bay leaf herb
> 1 beau monde herb and spice blend
> 1 curry powder herb and spice blend
> 1 fennel herb
> 1 ginger
> 1 onion herb?
> 1 paprika
> 1 parsley herb
> 1 rosemary herb
> 1 salt seasoning/chemical- not a food
> 1 thyme herb
> 1 turmeric
> 2 cayenne
> 2 cumin
> 2 dill herb
> 3 chili powder herb and spice blend
> 3 cinnamon
> 4 oregano herb
> 6 garlic herb?
> 8 basil herb
> 8 black pepper

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 10:09:39 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, brooklyn1
> wrote,
>Most are NOT spices.... only six of your entries are spices.

Whiner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 09:34:43 -0800, David Harmon wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 10:09:39 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, brooklyn1
> > wrote,
>>Most are NOT spices.... only six of your entries are spices.

> Whiner.

more like a wiener. but the two can be hard to distnguish in the wild.

in any case, i'd advise against trying to determine the sex.

your pal,
blake

spices gregz General Cooking 0 13-10-2011 02:10 PM
Marwari Spices and Pulses is a manufacturer of spices used as food flavoring. spicespulses Recipes 0 19-11-2010 05:38 PM
How old are your spices? Becca General Cooking 32 16-10-2009 06:17 PM
Spices... ChattyCathy General Cooking 22 12-08-2007 04:55 PM
Spices ypauls General Cooking 22 18-03-2004 02:58 PM