Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How old are your spices?

This guide helps with McCormick spices, but not the other brands.

http://www.mccormickgourmet.com/content.cfm?id=10451

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote on Wed, 14 Oct 2009 08:30:44 -0500:

> http://www.mccormickgourmet.com/content.cfm?id=10451

I can't say that I ever check but some of mine *are* too old and I
replace them when I notice but I don't usually have McCormick's, just
the local food coop or Penzey's.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca,

Going by the McCormick spice rack from five years ago that I gifted to my
best man and myself?

Pretty old!

I've replace a dozen and unopened two other dozen.

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Well, that was fun. I found some spices in my cupboard that date back to
1983, before I started cooking. I'm tossing them now.

Sharon

"Becca" > wrote in message
> This guide helps with McCormick spices, but not the other brands.
> http://www.mccormickgourmet.com/content.cfm?id=10451
>

> Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sharon" > wrote in news:hb4kdk$9jl$1
@usenet01.boi.hp.com:

> Well, that was fun. I found some spices in my cupboard that date back

> 1983, before I started cooking. I'm tossing them now.
>
> Sharon

LOL!! I usually have a good clean out every 12-14 months, and ditch all
the half used spices etc.

If they still smell strong, I'll keep them, but if I can't discern any
sort of aroma, they're gone.

It's probably one reason why my curries are such a hit :-)

I buy the spices fresh, in small batches.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL wrote:

> "Sharon" > wrote in news:hb4kdk$9jl$1
> @usenet01.boi.hp.com:
>
>> Well, that was fun. I found some spices in my cupboard that date
>> back

>> 1983, before I started cooking. I'm tossing them now.
>>
>> Sharon

> LOL!! I usually have a good clean out every 12-14 months, and ditch
> all the half used spices etc.
>
> If they still smell strong, I'll keep them, but if I can't discern any
> sort of aroma, they're gone.
>
> It's probably one reason why my curries are such a hit :-)
>
> I buy the spices fresh, in small batches.

I don't often need to have a 'clean out' - I also buy my dried herbs and
spices in smallish jars/containers so they don't have much of a chance
to get old before we use them up. We usually have one in use, and one
spare (of various stuff) in the cupboard. But then I make a fair amount
of curries too (and I like lots of other spicy food), and Jack does his
share of using them when he cooks dinner ;-)

BTW, I got lucky; the previous owners of our house had a built-in spice
cupboard installed as part of the kitchen cabinets (it slides out and
is adjacent to the stove - so they're right within reach when we're
cooking). Holds more than enough jars so I can have a nice variety of
stuff, and they're stored *in* the cupboard so they don't get covered
in dust and grime... remember those wall-mounted (open) spice racks?
When I had one of those, the outside of the jars needed wiping/cleaning
at least once a week <Ick, what a pain> and they were never big enough
to hold a decent variety, IMHO...
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 08:30:44 -0500, Becca wrote:

> This guide helps with McCormick spices, but not the other brands.
>
> http://www.mccormickgourmet.com/content.cfm?id=10451
>
> Becca

i would have guessed that two-three years for ground spices was optimistic.

these sort of guides depress me. 'well, i guess it's time to throw
everything away and start over.'

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy > wrote in news:q1lBm.44974$Bl2.41910
@newsfe14.iad:

> PeterL wrote:
>
>> "Sharon" > wrote in news:hb4kdk$9jl$1
>> @usenet01.boi.hp.com:
>>
>>> Well, that was fun. I found some spices in my cupboard that date
>>> back

>>> 1983, before I started cooking. I'm tossing them now.
>>>
>>> Sharon

>> LOL!! I usually have a good clean out every 12-14 months, and ditch
>> all the half used spices etc.
>>
>> If they still smell strong, I'll keep them, but if I can't discern any
>> sort of aroma, they're gone.
>>
>> It's probably one reason why my curries are such a hit :-)
>>
>> I buy the spices fresh, in small batches.
>>

> I don't often need to have a 'clean out'

Oh, I do!! ;-)

I took the SO to the shops on the way home from picking her up at work.
All I had to get was some frozen veges, and some fresh herbs/veges.

$170 later.......... !!!

*But* I have a whole pile of 'stuff' that I can use in the coming months!!
;-P

So yeah, every now and then I have a clean out and my friends end up with
a whole pile of stuff to put in their pantries that they never thought
they would have.

I even have friends asking/wanting to know every couple of months when I'm
going to do a 'clean out'!!

> - I also buy my dried herbs and
> spices in smallish jars/containers so they don't have much of a chance
> to get old before we use them up. We usually have one in use, and one
> spare (of various stuff) in the cupboard. But then I make a fair amount
> of curries too (and I like lots of other spicy food), and Jack does his
> share of using them when he cooks dinner ;-)

Yeah, it was when I started making curries..well, after the first 12
months... that I stopped buying 500g packets of spices, and started to buy
smaller.

> BTW, I got lucky; the previous owners of our house had a built-in spice
> cupboard installed as part of the kitchen cabinets (it slides out and
> is adjacent to the stove - so they're right within reach when we're
> cooking). Holds more than enough jars so I can have a nice variety of
> stuff, and they're stored *in* the cupboard so they don't get covered
> in dust and grime...

Lucky bugger!!

I'll have to remember that for the plans for my 'dream house' :-)

> remember those wall-mounted (open) spice racks?

Oh yeah........ I'll even own up to owning one for many years. A wooden
Masterfoods Spice Rack, that held a variety of different sized
bottles...... only MF bottles of course, but that didn't stop me taking
the tops off and filling them with other spices :-)

Just found a picture of it..... they still sell them!!!

http://www.masterfoods.com.au/Defaul...24&Page=detail

> When I had one of those, the outside of the jars needed wiping/cleaning
> at least once a week <Ick, what a pain> and they were never big enough
> to hold a decent variety, IMHO...

Yep....... it was handy back then, but a real PITA cleaning wise.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranee at Arabian Knits wrote:

> We used to have a four foot wide spice cabinet with three shelves
> in it above our bar. I miss that.

Mine is not *that* wide, but it's deep, and it can hold over a hundred
dried herb/spice jars that contain 200ml (just over 6.5oz) each.

FWIW, I Just counted 100+ jars and various other stuff in
boxes/packages) in there.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 14, 9:30*am, Becca > wrote:
> This guide helps with McCormick spices, but not the other brands.
>
> http://www.mccormickgourmet.com/content.cfm?id=10451
>
> Becca

You don't wanna know. I still have a box of cinnamon sticks priced as
25 cents - strictly for nostalgia sake, I keep em.

I replace spices now with the smallest possible quantity.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 14, 10:21*am, blake murphy
> these sort of guides depress me. *'well, i guess it's time to throw
> everything away and start over.'
>
> your pal,
> blake

Heck, I just double or triple up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> This guide helps with McCormick spices, but not the other brands.
> http://www.mccormickgourmet.com/content.cfm?id=10451
>

> Becca

I have an open 1 pound can of mustard powder that I bought in the
1970's. I nearly threw it away a couple of years ago, but I mixed
some with water and tasted it and it was still good. There's probably
3 or 4 ounces left.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> This guide helps with McCormick spices, but not the other brands.
> http://www.mccormickgourmet.com/content.cfm?id=10451
>

> Becca

I had some very old spices. You don't want to know how old--and
by now I forget. But since Penzey's came to the Boston area, I
have replaced most of those. The others I have replaced with
fresh ones from ethnic shops and even shops that carry
medieval-type spices and herbs.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-10-14, Jean B. > wrote:

> medieval-type spices and herbs.

What are "medieval-type" spices and herbs?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

>> medieval-type spices and herbs.

> What are "medieval-type" spices and herbs?

I'm thinking it's stuff like ground amber (or ambergris), wormwood,
asafetida, woodruff, and similar uncommon spices which are sometimes called
for in medieval recipes.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 14, 4:00*pm, Becca > wrote:
> Andy wrote:
> > Becca,

> > Going by the McCormick spice rack from five years ago that I gifted to my
> > best man and myself?

> > Pretty old!

> > I've replace a dozen and unopened two other dozen.

> > Best,

> > Andy

> When I buy spices, I try to find the smallest sized container so they
> will stay fresh. *Small containers are hard to find sometimes.
>
> Becca

We always get a new supply every 4 months. Use a discount place and
the cost is negligible.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Becca,
>
> Going by the McCormick spice rack from five years ago that I gifted to my
> best man and myself?
>
> Pretty old!
>
> I've replace a dozen and unopened two other dozen.
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

When I buy spices, I try to find the smallest sized container so they
will stay fresh. Small containers are hard to find sometimes.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> i would have guessed that two-three years for ground spices was optimistic.
>
> these sort of guides depress me. 'well, i guess it's time to throw
> everything away and start over.'
>
> your pal,
> blake

Some of my spices are getting old, so they may be losing some of their
flavor. I will use a little more, then the container will run out and I
can buy more. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca said...

> Andy wrote:
>> Becca,
>>
>> Going by the McCormick spice rack from five years ago that I gifted to

my
>> best man and myself?
>>
>> Pretty old!
>>
>> I've replace a dozen and unopened two other dozen.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Andy
>>

> When I buy spices, I try to find the smallest sized container so they
> will stay fresh. Small containers are hard to find sometimes.

Becca,

Welll, there's the smart you, and the dumb me!!!

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Becca > wrote:

> Andy wrote:

> > Going by the McCormick spice rack from five years ago that I gifted to my
> > best man and myself?
> >
> > Pretty old!

> When I buy spices, I try to find the smallest sized container so they
> will stay fresh. Small containers are hard to find sometimes.

Penzeys sells pretty much everything in lots of sizes, including 1/4
cup. We have a wall mounted wooden spice rack, and I stack those little
ones up two high.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> notbob wrote:
>
>>> medieval-type spices and herbs.

>> What are "medieval-type" spices and herbs?

> I'm thinking it's stuff like ground amber (or ambergris), wormwood,
> asafetida, woodruff, and similar uncommon spices which are sometimes
> called for in medieval recipes.
>
> Bob

OK, then, what are medieval recipes?

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>
>>> medieval-type spices and herbs.

>> What are "medieval-type" spices and herbs?

> I'm thinking it's stuff like ground amber (or ambergris), wormwood,
> asafetida, woodruff, and similar uncommon spices which are sometimes
> called for in medieval recipes.
>
> Bob

.... sandalwood, cubebs, grains of paradise, ebony, etc... Of
course galingal(e) aka laos aka all sorts of other things can be
found in a SE Asian context now.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> blake murphy wrote:
>> i would have guessed that two-three years for ground spices was
>> optimistic.
>>
>> these sort of guides depress me. 'well, i guess it's time to throw
>> everything away and start over.'
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake
>>

> Some of my spices are getting old, so they may be losing some of their
> flavor. I will use a little more, then the container will run out and I
> can buy more. Yeah, that's the ticket.
>

> Becca

One thing I discovered a while ago... If you are making, say,
pumpkin pie or gingerbread, and some of your spices are fresh
while others are not, the balance is totally wrong.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-10-14, Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

> I'm thinking it's stuff like ground amber (or ambergris), wormwood,
> asafetida, woodruff, and similar uncommon spices which are sometimes called
> for in medieval recipes.

Well, ambergris is neither a spice nor an herb. Wormwood is
available, as is woodruff, at specialty places, so I guess those would
qualify, as they are not common. Asafoetida is hardly scarce or
medieval, it being a common herb in Indian cuisine, for centuries. I
usually keep some on hand, but haven't had a chance to hit an Indian
shop in two years.

Your answer gives me the basic drift, though. Thnx

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice wrote:

>>> What are "medieval-type" spices and herbs?

>> I'm thinking it's stuff like ground amber (or ambergris), wormwood,
>> asafetida, woodruff, and similar uncommon spices which are sometimes
>> called for in medieval recipes.
>>
>> Bob

> OK, then, what are medieval recipes?
>
> Felice

Here are some sites:

http://recipes.medievalcookery.com/
I don't think I have seen this site, but it has the original and
redacted recipes, and the sources, and I like that.

Mo
http://www.godecookery.com/mtrans/mtrans.htm

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food.html

I have a fair number of books on the topic, but it is easier to
show such things with sites.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
hoser1605 > wrote:

> On Oct 14, 4:00*pm, Becca > wrote:
> > Andy wrote:
> > > Becca,

> > > Going by the McCormick spice rack from five years ago that I gifted to my
> > > best man and myself?

> > > Pretty old!

> > > I've replace a dozen and unopened two other dozen.

> > > Best,

> > > Andy

> > When I buy spices, I try to find the smallest sized container so they
> > will stay fresh. *Small containers are hard to find sometimes.
> >
> > Becca

> We always get a new supply every 4 months. Use a discount place and
> the cost is negligible.

Penzeys has a note in their catalog about how often to replace spices.
Most spices are harvested once a year. Replacing them more often than
that doesn't make sense for many of them.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

>> We always get a new supply every 4 months. Use a discount place and
>> the cost is negligible.

> Penzeys has a note in their catalog about how often to replace spices.
> Most spices are harvested once a year. Replacing them more often than
> that doesn't make sense for many of them.

I wondered how few spices this person keeps if he's tossing out
everything every four months?? What a waste of money, IMO.

I keep my jars in my freezer and never buy mixed spices when I have all
the separate ingredients. This helps me go through the spices faster and
then replace them. It keeps things moving.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> Becca wrote:
>> This guide helps with McCormick spices, but not the other brands.
>> http://www.mccormickgourmet.com/content.cfm?id=10451
>>

>> Becca

> I had some very old spices. You don't want to know how old--and by now
> I forget. But since Penzey's came to the Boston area, I have replaced
> most of those. The others I have replaced with fresh ones from ethnic
> shops and even shops that carry medieval-type spices and herbs.

I was so happy when Penzey's opened up locally. The think is, never
get out there. It's like 20 minutes from where I live too. I more
often than not, just order on line.

Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:

> Jean B. wrote:
>> Becca wrote:
>>> This guide helps with McCormick spices, but not the other brands.
>>> http://www.mccormickgourmet.com/content.cfm?id=10451
>>>

>>> Becca

>> I had some very old spices. You don't want to know how old--and by
>> now I forget. But since Penzey's came to the Boston area, I have
>> replaced most of those. The others I have replaced with fresh ones
>> from ethnic shops and even shops that carry medieval-type spices and
>> herbs.
>>

> I was so happy when Penzey's opened up locally. The think is, never get
> out there. It's like 20 minutes from where I live too. I more often than
> not, just order on line.
>
> Tracy

Oh, Tracy! ...

But then it is less than 5 minutes from me!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> Tracy wrote:
>>

>> Jean B. wrote:

>>> I had some very old spices. You don't want to know how old--and by
>>> now I forget. But since Penzey's came to the Boston area, I have
>>> replaced most of those. The others I have replaced with fresh ones
>>> from ethnic shops and even shops that carry medieval-type spices and
>>> herbs.
>>>

>> I was so happy when Penzey's opened up locally. The think is, never
>> get out there. It's like 20 minutes from where I live too. I more
>> often than not, just order on line.
>>
>> Tracy

> Oh, Tracy! ...
>
> But then it is less than 5 minutes from me!

I love the store, but have almost no reason to be in that
neighborhood. I don't have a problem with the distance. It's just
that nothing else brings me out there. Plus, it closes at 5, I
think, during the week, so I have to go on a Saturday. Kills my
morning. Does the Trader Joe's in Arlington sell alcohol? That might
bring me out there more often.

Tracy
(jealous but I really shouldn't complain)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:

> Jean B. wrote:
>> Tracy wrote:

>>> I was so happy when Penzey's opened up locally. The think is, never
>>> get out there. It's like 20 minutes from where I live too. I more
>>> often than not, just order on line.
>>>
>>> Tracy

>> Oh, Tracy! ...
>>
>> But then it is less than 5 minutes from me!
>>

> I love the store, but have almost no reason to be in that neighborhood.
> I don't have a problem with the distance. It's just that nothing else
> brings me out there. Plus, it closes at 5, I think, during the week, so
> I have to go on a Saturday. Kills my morning. Does the Trader Joe's in
> Arlington sell alcohol? That might bring me out there more often.
>
> Tracy
> (jealous but I really shouldn't complain)

No it doesn't carry wine. (I should add that I don't go to that
one very often because the parking lot is horrific. There is a
slight possibility that wine has been added.) The nearby TJ's in
Burlington also does not carry wine. (I seem to recall that in
Mass. chains can only have a certain number of sites that sell wine.)

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> Tracy wrote:

>>> I was so happy when Penzey's opened up locally. The think is, never
>>> get out there. It's like 20 minutes from where I live too. I more
>>> often than not, just order on line.

>> Oh, Tracy! ...
>>
>> But then it is less than 5 minutes from me!
>>

> I love the store, but have almost no reason to be in that
> neighborhood. I don't have a problem with the distance. It's just
> that nothing else brings me out there. Plus, it closes at 5, I
> think, during the week, so I have to go on a Saturday.

Proof that I was there last time I went to Boston:

http://i37.tinypic.com/2v988d0.jpg

Had a heck of a time finding the place with my mapquest directions,
but it was worth it. Luckily the place was still open by the time we
found it. Fun.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Tracy wrote:
>> Jean B. wrote:

>>> Oh, Tracy! ...
>>>
>>> But then it is less than 5 minutes from me!
>>>

>> I love the store, but have almost no reason to be in that
>> neighborhood. I don't have a problem with the distance. It's just
>> that nothing else brings me out there. Plus, it closes at 5, I
>> think, during the week, so I have to go on a Saturday.

> Proof that I was there last time I went to Boston:
>
> http://i37.tinypic.com/2v988d0.jpg
>
> Had a heck of a time finding the place with my mapquest directions,
> but it was worth it. Luckily the place was still open by the time we
> found it. Fun.
>
> nancy

That does look familiar!

--
Jean B.

spices gregz General Cooking 0 13-10-2011 02:10 PM
Marwari Spices and Pulses is a manufacturer of spices used as food flavoring. spicespulses Recipes 0 19-11-2010 04:38 PM
top spices? StaceyB General Cooking 30 07-02-2010 07:26 PM
Spices... ChattyCathy General Cooking 22 12-08-2007 04:55 PM
Spices ypauls General Cooking 22 18-03-2004 01:58 PM