Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pizza Margherita

How heavy should the basil be on one of these? I used to order them many
years ago at a Greek restaurant. I do remember there being a basil flavor
but it wasn't overwhelming.

I recently bought a couple of vegan pizzas (Amy's brand) from Whole foods.
They are the only made up pizzas I have found that use the Daiya cheese. It
is made of rice and pea protein. Yes, I can make such a pizza at home but I
thought it would be handy to have these in the freezer. They do not have
very much cheese on them at all which is the way I would do it if I were to
make them. While this cheese does share the stretchy quality of a real
cheese when melted, there is something of the flavor that is not quite right
and I find if I use too much, I don't like it. In fact in most cases I
prefer to just go without cheese than to use this. But for pizza? I want a
little cheese. And perhaps because there is no real cheese, that could be
why the basil is so overwhelming. But it is overwhelming. In fact it is
pretty much the only flavor I can taste on there. Another problem perhaps
is that they used little chunks of tomato and because it is a frozen pizza,
those tomatoes are not fresh. I found that I had to dip the little slices
(the pizza is quite small) in a bowl of tomato sauce to tone down the basil
flavor.

So... How strong should the basil flavor be on such a pizza? When I had it
before, I just remember a nice blend of flavors. This seems to be just
basil, basil and more basil.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> So... How strong should the basil flavor be on such a pizza? When I had it
> before, I just remember a nice blend of flavors. This seems to be just
> basil, basil and more basil.

Seems like the answer is obvious: as much basil as you like.

In restaurants, Pizza Margherita can be just about anything. With meat,
no meat, added veggies, multiple cheeses, thin or thick crust, etc.

I was introduced to it at a little pizza joint called Vinny's in Ithaca,
NY. Closed a long time ago. Vinny had the usual extensive menu of
pizza toppings. But he was especially proud of his Margherita. He used
a medium-thick rising crust, brushed with olive oil, and topped with
tomato sauce, mozzarella, and shreds of basil. That's all - just a few
high quality ingredients. But it was wonderful.

--
Julian Vrieslander
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 17:01:37 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > I recently bought a couple of vegan pizzas (Amy's brand) from Whole foods.
> > They are the only made up pizzas I have found that use the Daiya cheese
> > ..... In fact in most cases I prefer to just go without cheese than to
> > use this.

> It's a good thing you specifically sought out those pizzas with the
> cheese you don't like. Life would be pretty boring for you if there
> were no walls to bang your head against.

For that, she has you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pizza Margherita (thin vs thick crusts)

In article >,
Susan > wrote:

> Very unusual sounding for a margherita. But maybe each family has its
> own recipe. It's always been thin crust IME. With whole basil leaves
> usually all over the top.

The thin vs thick crust debate rages on. Some of my friends insist that
authentic pizza must have a thin (almost cracker-like) crust, because
they prefer it that way, or because that's the way it's done in The Old
Country. But for most of my life, living and traveling all over the
USA, the vast majority of pizzas that I have encountered were made with
a medium-thick rising crust. When done well, this makes a nice
combination of chewy and toasty textures, with good flavor. I prefer
this style to the cardboard-like stuff that some people cite as
"authentic".

For the purposes of this discussion let's leave out that soggy Chicago
deep-dish stuff which is more like a casserole.

I did not encounter thin crusts very often until recent years. It now
seems to be popular with chain/franchise operations. Is it more suited
or more convenient for mass-production low-skill preparation? Cindy
thinks it might also be favored by vendors because of quicker bake
times, or by consumers who are following the current low-carb diet fads.

--
Julian Vrieslander
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julian Vrieslander" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> So... How strong should the basil flavor be on such a pizza? When I had
>> it
>> before, I just remember a nice blend of flavors. This seems to be just
>> basil, basil and more basil.

> Seems like the answer is obvious: as much basil as you like.
>
> In restaurants, Pizza Margherita can be just about anything. With meat,
> no meat, added veggies, multiple cheeses, thin or thick crust, etc.
>
> I was introduced to it at a little pizza joint called Vinny's in Ithaca,
> NY. Closed a long time ago. Vinny had the usual extensive menu of
> pizza toppings. But he was especially proud of his Margherita. He used
> a medium-thick rising crust, brushed with olive oil, and topped with
> tomato sauce, mozzarella, and shreds of basil. That's all - just a few
> high quality ingredients. But it was wonderful.

Hmmm... I have never seen it with meat. Only fresh tomatoes and basil.
Obviously the crust could vary.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 17:01:37 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I recently bought a couple of vegan pizzas (Amy's brand) from Whole
>> foods.
>> They are the only made up pizzas I have found that use the Daiya cheese
>> ..... In fact in most cases I prefer to just go without cheese than to
>> use this.

> It's a good thing you specifically sought out those pizzas with the
> cheese you don't like. Life would be pretty boring for you if there
> were no walls to bang your head against.

It's pretty much the only cheese I can eat. I don't do soy. There are nut
cheese out there that I could eat but none are available where I live, not
that I know of anyway. And I'm not willing to pay the price for shipping on
them. Plus I don't know how they would do on pizza.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julian Vrieslander" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Susan > wrote:
>
>> Very unusual sounding for a margherita. But maybe each family has its
>> own recipe. It's always been thin crust IME. With whole basil leaves
>> usually all over the top.

> The thin vs thick crust debate rages on. Some of my friends insist that
> authentic pizza must have a thin (almost cracker-like) crust, because
> they prefer it that way, or because that's the way it's done in The Old
> Country. But for most of my life, living and traveling all over the
> USA, the vast majority of pizzas that I have encountered were made with
> a medium-thick rising crust. When done well, this makes a nice
> combination of chewy and toasty textures, with good flavor. I prefer
> this style to the cardboard-like stuff that some people cite as
> "authentic".
>
> For the purposes of this discussion let's leave out that soggy Chicago
> deep-dish stuff which is more like a casserole.
>
> I did not encounter thin crusts very often until recent years. It now
> seems to be popular with chain/franchise operations. Is it more suited
> or more convenient for mass-production low-skill preparation? Cindy
> thinks it might also be favored by vendors because of quicker bake
> times, or by consumers who are following the current low-carb diet fads.

When I liven in NY, the crusts were always pretty thin. Not super thin like
you can get at some places, but thin enough to fold it. Granted I probably
only ordered or got it from 2-3 places. Not being a huge pizza lover. But
once in a while I do want some.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> So... How strong should the basil flavor be on such a pizza? When I
> had it before, I just remember a nice blend of flavors. This seems
> to be just basil, basil and more basil.

One or two basil leaves for one pizza margherita
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julian Vrieslander wrote:

> In restaurants, Pizza Margherita can be just about anything. With
> meat, no meat, added veggies, multiple cheeses, thin or thick crust,
> etc.

In Italy, margherita means just tomato, mozzarella and a couple of basil
leaves (basil not everywhere, though). It's the most basic pizza, more basic
than that there's only the marinara: just tomato, garlic and capers, but
since it's without mozzarella it's not even a real pizza. Margherita is also
the base for the dozens of pizzas on the menu of italian pizzerias, take
mushroom for example: tomato sauce, mozzarella and mushrooms.
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ViLco wrote:

> take mushroom for example: tomato sauce, mozzarella and mushrooms.

BTW, that's the only situation where I like mushrooms with tomato.
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John J wrote:

>> In Italy, margherita means just tomato, mozzarella and a couple of
>> basil leaves (basil not everywhere, though). It's the most basic
>> pizza, more basic than that there's only the marinara: just tomato,
>> garlic and capers, but since it's without mozzarella it's not even a
>> real pizza.

> Then I've always had *******ized pizzae marinarae, with fish and
> seafood. Lucky me.

That would be "Pizza ai frutti di mare" here
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> So... How strong should the basil flavor be on such a pizza? When I
>> had it before, I just remember a nice blend of flavors. This seems
>> to be just basil, basil and more basil.

> One or two basil leaves for one pizza margherita

Aha! That sounds about right. I think they put too much on this frozen
one. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> In restaurants, Pizza Margherita can be just about anything. With meat,
>> no meat, added veggies, multiple cheeses, thin or thick crust, etc.

No, it can't. If it has all that stuff, it is NOT Margherita. Sauce,
mozzarella cheese, basil. Nothing else.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

>>> In restaurants, Pizza Margherita can be just about anything. With meat,
>>> no meat, added veggies, multiple cheeses, thin or thick crust, etc.

> No, it can't. If it has all that stuff, it is NOT Margherita. Sauce,
> mozzarella cheese, basil. Nothing else.

That's what I thought. Obviously they took liberties with the one I had
because it has faux mozzarella on it but...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/7/2013 7:57 AM, John J wrote:

>>> Then I've always had *******ized pizzae marinarae, with fish and
>>> seafood. Lucky me.

>> That would be "Pizza ai frutti di mare" here

> This is from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_sauce:
>
> "Marinara sauce is an Italian-American term for a simple tomato sauce
> with herbs—mostly parsley and basil—but, contrary to what the name
> might suggest ('marinara' is Italian for "sailor-style") without
> anchovies, fish, or seafood. In Italy, marinara refers either to
> sauces made with tomato and garlic (as in pizza marinara) or to
> seafood-based sauces or foods; in this case, the name does not imply
> that tomato is either included or excluded."
>
> Who would have known that a classic pizza marinara doesn't contain
> anything from the mare.

This is what I have understood about Marinara Sauce.

I use a marinara sauce from "Bugialli on Pasta" (Giuliano Bugialli;
1988, New York, Simon and Schuster.) In Italy "Marinara" is simply
tomatoes and garlic cooked in oil. Supposedly, fishermen made the sauce
when they needed something quick and easy. More likely, their ladies put
it together when the hungry guys came home after their normal wasted day
but the essence of the thing is that it is quick! I think it tastes best
if the cooking is not protracted.

Nigella Lawson gives a recipe for not cooking the ingredients at all.
I've tried it and I think I will stick to the classical recipe.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-03-07, Julian Vrieslander > wrote:

> In restaurants, Pizza Margherita can be just about anything. With meat,
> no meat, added veggies, multiple cheeses, thin or thick crust, etc.

And that's different from a regular pizza, how?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-03-07, Julian Vrieslander > wrote:

> seems to be popular with chain/franchise operations.

Less materials, less materials cost overhead.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/7/2013 9:05 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2013-03-07, Julian Vrieslander > wrote:
>
>> seems to be popular with chain/franchise operations.

> Less materials, less materials cost overhead.
>
> nb

Less skill required by the teenagers who work there.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 7, 2013 3:35:19 AM UTC-5, ViLco wrote:
> In Italy,

We don't give a shit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John J wrote:

>>> Then I've always had *******ized pizzae marinarae, with fish and
>>> seafood. Lucky me.

>> That would be "Pizza ai frutti di mare" here

> This is from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_sauce:
>
> "Marinara sauce is an Italian-American term for a simple tomato sauce
> with herbs-mostly parsley and basil-but, contrary to what the name

There are both marinara *sauce* and *pizza* alla marinara, and we're talking
about pizza now
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 20:52:11 -0800, Julian Vrieslander
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Susan > wrote:
>
>> Very unusual sounding for a margherita. But maybe each family has its
>> own recipe. It's always been thin crust IME. With whole basil leaves
>> usually all over the top.

>The thin vs thick crust debate rages on. Some of my friends insist that
>authentic pizza must have a thin (almost cracker-like) crust, because
>they prefer it that way, or because that's the way it's done in The Old
>Country. But for most of my life, living and traveling all over the
>USA, the vast majority of pizzas that I have encountered were made with
>a medium-thick rising crust. When done well, this makes a nice
>combination of chewy and toasty textures, with good flavor. I prefer
>this style to the cardboard-like stuff that some people cite as
>"authentic".
>
>For the purposes of this discussion let's leave out that soggy Chicago
>deep-dish stuff which is more like a casserole.
>
>I did not encounter thin crusts very often until recent years. It now
>seems to be popular with chain/franchise operations. Is it more suited
>or more convenient for mass-production low-skill preparation? Cindy
>thinks it might also be favored by vendors because of quicker bake
>times, or by consumers who are following the current low-carb diet fads.

The thin crust in modern culture is in response to diet trends. Thin
crust equals less dough.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> How heavy should the basil be on one of these? I used to order them many
> years ago at a Greek restaurant. I do remember there being a basil flavor
> but it wasn't overwhelming.
>
> I recently bought a couple of vegan pizzas (Amy's brand) from Whole foods.
> They are the only made up pizzas I have found that use the Daiya cheese.
> It is made of rice and pea protein. Yes, I can make such a pizza at home
> but I thought it would be handy to have these in the freezer. They do not
> have very much cheese on them at all which is the way I would do it if I
> were to make them. While this cheese does share the stretchy quality of a
> real cheese when melted, there is something of the flavor that is not
> quite right and I find if I use too much, I don't like it. In fact in
> most cases I prefer to just go without cheese than to use this. But for
> pizza? I want a little cheese. And perhaps because there is no real
> cheese, that could be why the basil is so overwhelming. But it is
> overwhelming. In fact it is pretty much the only flavor I can taste on
> there. Another problem perhaps is that they used little chunks of tomato
> and because it is a frozen pizza, those tomatoes are not fresh. I found
> that I had to dip the little slices (the pizza is quite small) in a bowl
> of tomato sauce to tone down the basil flavor.
>
> So... How strong should the basil flavor be on such a pizza? When I had
> it before, I just remember a nice blend of flavors. This seems to be just
> basil, basil and more basil.

here are the Italian government standards:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...za-rules_x.htm

go from there.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/7/2013 9:55 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> The thin crust in modern culture is in response to diet trends. Thin
> crust equals less dough.
> Janet US

Hmmm. I'm not so sure about that. I grew up thinking thin crust pizza
was the norm. This was in the 1960s. I don't think anyone was overly
concerned about diet trends at the time. It was just the way pizza
dough was made in some places.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 02:46:45 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "ViLco" > wrote in message
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> >> So... How strong should the basil flavor be on such a pizza? When I
> >> had it before, I just remember a nice blend of flavors. This seems
> >> to be just basil, basil and more basil.

> > One or two basil leaves for one pizza margherita

> Aha! That sounds about right. I think they put too much on this frozen
> one. Thanks!

Which is why I dislike pizza margherita so much. It's practically
flavorless. I don't want a lot of meat (none for me), cheese (very
light and very little to no mozzarella - especially that "fresh mozz"
waste of pizza money) or even much tomato sauce (skimpy) - but I do
want to taste garlic & herbs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "ViLco" wrote :

> > Julie Bove wrote:
> >> So... How strong should the basil flavor be on such a pizza? When I
> >> had it before, I just remember a nice blend of flavors. This seems
> >> to be just basil, basil and more basil.

> > One or two basil leaves for one pizza margherita

> Aha! That sounds about right. I think they put too much on this frozen
> one. Thanks!

Can never be enough basil for me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> >> In restaurants, Pizza Margherita can be just about anything. With meat,
> >> no meat, added veggies, multiple cheeses, thin or thick crust, etc.

> No, it can't. If it has all that stuff, it is NOT Margherita. Sauce,
> mozzarella cheese, basil. Nothing else.

I do a lot of homemade pizzas and I've done just that before.
I never realized it had a name.
You can put anything you want on a pizza. If it's good for you, it's good.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/7/2013 12:43 PM, Gary wrote:

>> No, it can't. If it has all that stuff, it is NOT Margherita. Sauce,
>> mozzarella cheese, basil. Nothing else.

> I do a lot of homemade pizzas and I've done just that before.
> I never realized it had a name.
> You can put anything you want on a pizza. If it's good for you, it's good.

I agree with you; there is no need for ethnic purism and decisions about
what is or is not a *real* pizza. I've quite enjoyed things as
non-traditional as pineapple/shrimp but my usual choice is pretty banal
I suppose, pepperoni/cheese topping. I might also be adventurous enough
to have some thin sliced onion.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> How heavy should the basil be on one of these? I used to order them many
> years ago at a Greek restaurant. I do remember there being a basil flavor
> but it wasn't overwhelming.
>
> I recently bought a couple of vegan pizzas (Amy's brand) from Whole foods.
> They are the only made up pizzas I have found that use the Daiya cheese.
> It is made of rice and pea protein. Yes, I can make such a pizza at home
> but I thought it would be handy to have these in the freezer. They do not
> have very much cheese on them at all which is the way I would do it if I
> were to make them. While this cheese does share the stretchy quality of a
> real cheese when melted, there is something of the flavor that is not
> quite right and I find if I use too much, I don't like it. In fact in
> most cases I prefer to just go without cheese than to use this. But for
> pizza? I want a little cheese. And perhaps because there is no real
> cheese, that could be why the basil is so overwhelming. But it is
> overwhelming. In fact it is pretty much the only flavor I can taste on
> there. Another problem perhaps is that they used little chunks of tomato
> and because it is a frozen pizza, those tomatoes are not fresh. I found
> that I had to dip the little slices (the pizza is quite small) in a bowl
> of tomato sauce to tone down the basil flavor.
>
> So... How strong should the basil flavor be on such a pizza? When I had
> it before, I just remember a nice blend of flavors. This seems to be just
> basil, basil and more basil.

Strong enough to cover the taste of the "cheese."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

>>> No, it can't. If it has all that stuff, it is NOT Margherita. Sauce,
>>> mozzarella cheese, basil. Nothing else.

>> I do a lot of homemade pizzas and I've done just that before.
>> I never realized it had a name.
>> You can put anything you want on a pizza. If it's good for you, it's good.
>>

> I agree with you; there is no need for ethnic purism and decisions about
> what is or is not a *real* pizza. I've quite enjoyed things as
> non-traditional as pineapple/shrimp but my usual choice is pretty banal
> I suppose, pepperoni/cheese topping. I might also be adventurous enough
> to have some thin sliced onion.

I will remind everyone that in N Italy I observed some Italian youngsters
dumping french fries on a cheese pizza.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

> ...I wonder how to make a crust that is ultra thin,
> but holds together under toppings.

This has been discussed fairly recently here.

Whenever I make pizza, I'll make my dough with a package of yeast.
Once it's mixed, I don't let it rise. I immediately stretch it out into the
pan, then add toppings, and right into the oven. In just that short amount
of time, it will start rising.... even during the first minutes in the oven.

I'm thinking that if you use 1/3 to 1/2 of the yeast that your recipe calls
for? I would think that would seriously slow down the rising and give you a
thinner crust.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 12:01:14 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 3/7/2013 9:55 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> The thin crust in modern culture is in response to diet trends. Thin
>> crust equals less dough.

>Hmmm. I'm not so sure about that. I grew up thinking thin crust pizza
>was the norm. This was in the 1960s. I don't think anyone was overly
>concerned about diet trends at the time. It was just the way pizza
>dough was made in some places.

I wouldn't think people on diets (to lose weight) would be wise to
choose pizza of any variety... even untopped plain crust is just a lot
of empty calories.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 13:17:03 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 12:01:14 -0500, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>>On 3/7/2013 9:55 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>> The thin crust in modern culture is in response to diet trends. Thin
>>> crust equals less dough.

>>Hmmm. I'm not so sure about that. I grew up thinking thin crust pizza
>>was the norm. This was in the 1960s. I don't think anyone was overly
>>concerned about diet trends at the time. It was just the way pizza
>>dough was made in some places.

>I wouldn't think people on diets (to lose weight) would be wise to
>choose pizza of any variety... even untopped plain crust is just a lot
>of empty calories.

I should have said 'dietary trends.'
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 07:55:22 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 20:52:11 -0800, Julian Vrieslander
> wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> Susan > wrote:
>>
>>> Very unusual sounding for a margherita. But maybe each family has its
>>> own recipe. It's always been thin crust IME. With whole basil leaves
>>> usually all over the top.

>>The thin vs thick crust debate rages on. Some of my friends insist that
>>authentic pizza must have a thin (almost cracker-like) crust, because
>>they prefer it that way, or because that's the way it's done in The Old
>>Country. But for most of my life, living and traveling all over the
>>USA, the vast majority of pizzas that I have encountered were made with
>>a medium-thick rising crust. When done well, this makes a nice
>>combination of chewy and toasty textures, with good flavor. I prefer
>>this style to the cardboard-like stuff that some people cite as
>>"authentic".
>>
>>For the purposes of this discussion let's leave out that soggy Chicago
>>deep-dish stuff which is more like a casserole.
>>
>>I did not encounter thin crusts very often until recent years. It now
>>seems to be popular with chain/franchise operations. Is it more suited
>>or more convenient for mass-production low-skill preparation? Cindy
>>thinks it might also be favored by vendors because of quicker bake
>>times, or by consumers who are following the current low-carb diet fads.

>The thin crust in modern culture is in response to diet trends. Thin
>crust equals less dough.
>Janet US

But then dieters will eat more slices than they would otherwise. I
wouldn't call pizza a good dieter's food regardless what
configuration... like thin sliced bread, folks just eat more slices
and/or stuff in more filling... thin sliced toast is a great excuse to
eat more slices, and therefore eat more butter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Susan wrote:

> Low fat is a fad, low carb is compatible with human biology.

That's just for old-ass people with slower metabolisms and diabetes issues,
current or pending. Try pushing your low carb diet on olympic athletes.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 13:36:54 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 07:55:22 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 20:52:11 -0800, Julian Vrieslander
> wrote:

>>>The thin vs thick crust debate rages on. Some of my friends insist that
>>>authentic pizza must have a thin (almost cracker-like) crust, because
>>>they prefer it that way, or because that's the way it's done in The Old
>>>Country. But for most of my life, living and traveling all over the
>>>USA, the vast majority of pizzas that I have encountered were made with
>>>a medium-thick rising crust. When done well, this makes a nice
>>>combination of chewy and toasty textures, with good flavor. I prefer
>>>this style to the cardboard-like stuff that some people cite as
>>>"authentic".
>>>
>>>For the purposes of this discussion let's leave out that soggy Chicago
>>>deep-dish stuff which is more like a casserole.
>>>
>>>I did not encounter thin crusts very often until recent years. It now
>>>seems to be popular with chain/franchise operations. Is it more suited
>>>or more convenient for mass-production low-skill preparation? Cindy
>>>thinks it might also be favored by vendors because of quicker bake
>>>times, or by consumers who are following the current low-carb diet fads.

>>The thin crust in modern culture is in response to diet trends. Thin
>>crust equals less dough.
>>Janet US

>But then dieters will eat more slices than they would otherwise. I
>wouldn't call pizza a good dieter's food regardless what
>configuration... like thin sliced bread, folks just eat more slices
>and/or stuff in more filling... thin sliced toast is a great excuse to
>eat more slices, and therefore eat more butter.

I didn't mean diet in the terms you are. You may be right in your
assertion for those that are attempting to limit calories.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I grew up thinking thin crust pizza
> was the norm. This was in the 1960s. I don't think anyone was overly
> concerned about diet trends at the time. It was just the way pizza
> dough was made in some places.
>
> Jill

And just to go off on NY people. I personally think their traditional habit
of folding a slice of pizza in half to eat it is very strange, to say the
least. I've never done that and I never will. wth?

G.

German/Dutch/oven pancake pizza (AKA Puffy Pizza) Christopher M.[_5_] General Cooking 0 02-02-2013 05:24 PM
Tortilla Pizza Margherita Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 22-08-2007 04:35 AM
Pizza Margherita Kent General Cooking 78 06-06-2007 06:29 AM
Homemade pizza and garlic and cheese calzones... was Dominos Meat Pie Pizza Sheldon General Cooking 1 04-05-2007 06:42 PM
Homemade pizza and garlic and cheese calzones... was Dominos Meat Pie Pizza Sheldon General Cooking 0 04-05-2007 04:09 PM