Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default *******ized stuffed shells with shrimp

I was flipping through Cooking Lights Best of 2012 recipes. I found a recipe
for stuffed shells with ship.

What a great idea, I thought; what a great, *******ized recipe.

Here's another recipe on MyRecipes.com:
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/shri...0400000118581/

I guess it wouldn't be very popular in Italy. It's a faux pas to use cheese
with seafood in Italy.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 16, 6:29*pm, "Christopher M." > wrote:
> I was flipping through Cooking Lights Best of 2012 recipes. I found a recipe
> for stuffed shells with ship.
>
> What a great idea, I thought; what a great, *******ized recipe.
>
> Here's another recipe on MyRecipes.com:http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/shri...0400000118581/
>
> I guess it wouldn't be very popular in Italy. It's a faux pas to use cheese
> with seafood in Italy.
>
> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

With ship...surely you meant shit?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 09:19:30 -0800 (PST), Chemo
> wrote:

> On Jan 16, 6:29*pm, "Christopher M." > wrote:
> > I was flipping through Cooking Lights Best of 2012 recipes. I found a recipe
> > for stuffed shells with ship.
> >
> > What a great idea, I thought; what a great, *******ized recipe.
> >
> > Here's another recipe on MyRecipes.com:http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/shri...0400000118581/
> >
> > I guess it wouldn't be very popular in Italy. It's a faux pas to use cheese
> > with seafood in Italy.
> >
> > W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> With ship...surely you meant shit?

Cheese with seafood is a faux pas in Italy? That's only according to
Sheldon, a Jew from Brooklyn, and I don't think Pandora, who is
Italian, read his memo (edict).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Cheese with seafood is a faux pas in Italy? That's only according to
> Sheldon, a Jew from Brooklyn, and I don't think Pandora, who is
> Italian, read his memo (edict).

The judges on "Chopped" (Food Network) also have that opinion.
I disagree. I've got a fantastic recipe using cheese and crab.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> sf wrote:
>>
>> Cheese with seafood is a faux pas in Italy? That's only according to
>> Sheldon, a Jew from Brooklyn, and I don't think Pandora, who is
>> Italian, read his memo (edict).

> The judges on "Chopped" (Food Network) also have that opinion.
> I disagree. I've got a fantastic recipe using cheese and crab.
>
> G.

I believe that Italy has a long history of not using parmesan cheese on
fish. Parmesan is particularly piquant.

Mario Batali calls Parmesan the "king of cheeses".

I wonder whatever happened to that show 'Mario Eats Italy'. Some great
footage from the bootland.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Christopher M." > wrote:

> I wonder whatever happened to that show 'Mario Eats Italy'. Some great
> footage from the bootland.

Mario ate Italy. It's gone. Southern Italians scrambled to Sicily, and
Northern Italians scrambled to Switzerland. A few made it to Greece and
France. It was a traumatic, major story in all of the newspapers for
about six months. I can't believe you missed it!

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christopher M. wrote:

> Here's another recipe on MyRecipes.com:
> http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/shri...0400000118581/
>
> I guess it wouldn't be very popular in Italy. It's a faux pas to use
> cheese with seafood in Italy.

This is generally right, then some recipe using cheese with seafood exists,
but it's a minority of recipes.
The only one that comes to mind now is mussels au gratin with some grated
cheese in the gratin mix: breadcrumbs, garlic, parsley, EVO oil and some
grated cheese, but I don't even remember which cheese it was...
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 23:15:30 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Christopher M." > wrote:
>
>> I wonder whatever happened to that show 'Mario Eats Italy'. Some great
>> footage from the bootland.

>Mario ate Italy. It's gone. Southern Italians scrambled to Sicily, and
>Northern Italians scrambled to Switzerland. A few made it to Greece and
>France. It was a traumatic, major story in all of the newspapers for
>about six months. I can't believe you missed it!

I'm not surprised. My wife likes 'the Chew'. I came in yesterday as
they were discussing what to do with leftover pizza. [I'm with the
bald guy- 'Just eat it!']

Mario said he likes to spread some [raspberry?] jam on it, give it
some hot sauce, and roll it up-- I *think* eating it cold.

If, by 'pizza', he just meant the crust-- then I'm in. But the image
I had was sausage, mushrooms, cheese and pizza sauce- with jam and hot
sauce on it. from the look on the face of the lady, she was
picturing the same thing.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/17/2013 5:05 PM, Gary wrote:
> sf wrote:
>>
>> Cheese with seafood is a faux pas in Italy? That's only according to
>> Sheldon, a Jew from Brooklyn, and I don't think Pandora, who is
>> Italian, read his memo (edict).

> The judges on "Chopped" (Food Network) also have that opinion.
> I disagree. I've got a fantastic recipe using cheese and crab.
>
> G.

Yes, Sheldon has mentioned it but I'm sure others feel the same way.
I've had a delicious shrimp & grits dish at a local restaurant and they
were cheese-grits

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 07:29:22 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> My wife likes 'the Chew'.

I haven't seen that one yet (don't even know what channel it's on).
It's been mentioned here so many times, I'm starting to think I'm
missing something... or is it one of those Honey Boo Boo type train
wreck shows?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> > > Cheese with seafood is a faux pas in Italy? That's only according to
> > > Sheldon, a Jew from Brooklyn, and I don't think Pandora, who is
> > > Italian, read his memo (edict).

> > Not Sheldon, it's accordinmg to Christopher, whose attribution you
> > quoted.
> >

> Sheldon has said it many, many times and he is the one who started the
> entire hoax.

Mario Batali has said it many times. Conceivably, he knows more about Italian
food than Shelley does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 23:15:30 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell
> > wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> "Christopher M." > wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder whatever happened to that show 'Mario Eats Italy'. Some great
>>> footage from the bootland.

>>Mario ate Italy. It's gone. Southern Italians scrambled to Sicily, and
>>Northern Italians scrambled to Switzerland. A few made it to Greece and
>>France. It was a traumatic, major story in all of the newspapers for
>>about six months. I can't believe you missed it!

> I'm not surprised. My wife likes 'the Chew'. I came in yesterday as
> they were discussing what to do with leftover pizza. [I'm with the
> bald guy- 'Just eat it!']
>
> Mario said he likes to spread some [raspberry?] jam on it, give it
> some hot sauce, and roll it up-- I *think* eating it cold.

Like a raspberry chipotle hot sauce maybe. That Mario is a wild one.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" > wrote in message
> Christopher M. wrote:
>
>> Here's another recipe on MyRecipes.com:
>> http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/shri...0400000118581/
>>
>> I guess it wouldn't be very popular in Italy. It's a faux pas to use
>> cheese with seafood in Italy.

> This is generally right, then some recipe using cheese with seafood
> exists, but it's a minority of recipes.
> The only one that comes to mind now is mussels au gratin with some grated
> cheese in the gratin mix: breadcrumbs, garlic, parsley, EVO oil and some
> grated cheese, but I don't even remember which cheese it was...

In the off chance that this is someone I know trying to ask me what I want
for Christmas, the answer is gruyere.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 07:49:01 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 07:29:22 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
>wrote:
>
>> My wife likes 'the Chew'.

>I haven't seen that one yet (don't even know what channel it's on).
>It's been mentioned here so many times, I'm starting to think I'm
>missing something... or is it one of those Honey Boo Boo type train
>wreck shows?

No- not like Honey Boo-boo.

I think it is on ABC- early afternoon here. It is kind of like a
foodie version of 'The View'. I don't care for any of the 4 folks
who do it, but the parts of it I've seen are usually informative and
I'd eat most of what they cook.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 16:29:50 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 07:49:01 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 07:29:22 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
> >wrote:
> >
> >> My wife likes 'the Chew'.

> >I haven't seen that one yet (don't even know what channel it's on).
> >It's been mentioned here so many times, I'm starting to think I'm
> >missing something... or is it one of those Honey Boo Boo type train
> >wreck shows?

> No- not like Honey Boo-boo.
>
> I think it is on ABC- early afternoon here. It is kind of like a
> foodie version of 'The View'. I don't care for any of the 4 folks
> who do it, but the parts of it I've seen are usually informative and
> I'd eat most of what they cook.

Thanks, Jim - I found it and I recognize the black gal next to Mario.
http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/watch/T...13112923302112
She was on one of those FN cook off shows. I don't remember if she
won, but apparently she did well even if she didn't... kind of like
the runners up on American Idol who go on to have successful careers
anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/18/2013 4:29 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> I think it is on ABC- early afternoon here. It is kind of like a
> foodie version of 'The View'. I don't care for any of the 4 folks
> who do it, but the parts of it I've seen are usually informative and
> I'd eat most of what they cook.

I don't like most of the people on that show either, though I like
watching Michael Simon cook. He laughs a bit too much for me, though.
Seems forced.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christopher M. wrote:

>>> I guess it wouldn't be very popular in Italy. It's a faux pas to use
>>> cheese with seafood in Italy.

>> This is generally right, then some recipe using cheese with seafood
>> exists, but it's a minority of recipes.
>> The only one that comes to mind now is mussels au gratin with some
>> grated cheese in the gratin mix: breadcrumbs, garlic, parsley, EVO
>> oil and some grated cheese, but I don't even remember which cheese
>> it was...

> In the off chance that this is someone I know trying to ask me what I
> want for Christmas, the answer is gruyere.

LOL
And it would fit in well, methinks
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Stuffed shells. Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 69 09-03-2012 04:08 PM
stuffed shells? [email protected] General Cooking 157 10-04-2011 05:18 PM
Mexican Stuffed Shells jacqueline austin Recipes (moderated) 0 25-04-2007 10:55 AM
stuffed shells sf General Cooking 9 14-05-2006 02:35 PM
Stuffed shells? sarah bennett General Cooking 16 15-10-2005 07:01 PM