Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: my version of Shepard's Pie

As I probably mentioned, I made this about 3 weeks ago on a Sunday morning,
ate some for a late lunch, took a short nap and woke up sick with the flu.
Thankfully, I had lots of leftovers that I ate each day while sick.
Wed-Fri, I worked all day and came home, took a long hot shower, ate some of
this, then went right to bed again. It was so nice to have this premade and
not have to cook when I was sick.

Well.... since I ate the last batch while sick, I decided to make another
when healthy so I made another on Christmas Eve. I have one more meal to
make to finish later today and I love it. I serve with chunky applesauce
(with a bit of brown sugar added) and a couple of slices of fresh bread and
butter.

Here's the recipe:

1 1/2 lbs ground beast
2 medium onions chopped
1 TBS worchestershire sauce

Fry all this up and drain.

Put the meat into a deep dish casserole dish.
Add 2 cans of corn kernals and one can of green beans (all drained)

Combine 1 can each of Campbells Cream of Chicken and one of Cream of
Mushroom soup
Put this mix over the vegetables.

Top with a batch of homemade mashed potatoes.

Cook covered until bubbly, then take off the lid and add about 4 ounces of
grated sharp cheddar cheese to melt.

Note: I know some of you frown on using the soup mix for gravy but it's very
good. I'll be glad to hear how to make that from scratch, otherwise, I'll
stick to the soup mix.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 07:19:06 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> As I probably mentioned, I made this about 3 weeks ago on a Sunday morning,
> ate some for a late lunch, took a short nap and woke up sick with the flu.
> Thankfully, I had lots of leftovers that I ate each day while sick.
> Wed-Fri, I worked all day and came home, took a long hot shower, ate some of
> this, then went right to bed again. It was so nice to have this premade and
> not have to cook when I was sick.
>
> Well.... since I ate the last batch while sick, I decided to make another
> when healthy so I made another on Christmas Eve. I have one more meal to
> make to finish later today and I love it. I serve with chunky applesauce
> (with a bit of brown sugar added) and a couple of slices of fresh bread and
> butter.
>
> Here's the recipe:
>
> 1 1/2 lbs ground beast
> 2 medium onions chopped
> 1 TBS worchestershire sauce
>
> Fry all this up and drain.
>
> Put the meat into a deep dish casserole dish.
> Add 2 cans of corn kernals and one can of green beans (all drained)
>
> Combine 1 can each of Campbells Cream of Chicken and one of Cream of
> Mushroom soup
> Put this mix over the vegetables.
>
> Top with a batch of homemade mashed potatoes.
>
> Cook covered until bubbly, then take off the lid and add about 4 ounces of
> grated sharp cheddar cheese to melt.

> Note: I know some of you frown on using the soup mix for gravy but it's very
> good. I'll be glad to hear how to make that from scratch, otherwise, I'll
> stick to the soup mix.

Make a velouté sauce (white sauce made with stock) and take it from
there.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default my version of Shepard's Pie

Gary wrote:
> As I probably mentioned, I made this about 3 weeks ago on a Sunday
> morning, ate some for a late lunch, took a short nap and woke up sick
> with the flu. Thankfully, I had lots of leftovers that I ate each day
> while sick. Wed-Fri, I worked all day and came home, took a long hot
> shower, ate some of this, then went right to bed again. It was so
> nice to have this premade and not have to cook when I was sick.
>
> Well.... since I ate the last batch while sick, I decided to make
> another when healthy so I made another on Christmas Eve. I have one
> more meal to make to finish later today and I love it. I serve with
> chunky applesauce (with a bit of brown sugar added) and a couple of
> slices of fresh bread and butter.
>
> Here's the recipe:
>
> 1 1/2 lbs ground beast
> 2 medium onions chopped
> 1 TBS worchestershire sauce
>
> Fry all this up and drain.
>
> Put the meat into a deep dish casserole dish.
> Add 2 cans of corn kernals and one can of green beans (all drained)
>
> Combine 1 can each of Campbells Cream of Chicken and one of Cream of
> Mushroom soup
> Put this mix over the vegetables.
>
> Top with a batch of homemade mashed potatoes.
>
> Cook covered until bubbly, then take off the lid and add about 4
> ounces of grated sharp cheddar cheese to melt.

> Note: I know some of you frown on using the soup mix for gravy but
> it's very good. I'll be glad to hear how to make that from scratch,
> otherwise, I'll stick to the soup mix.
>
> Gary

I don't put the worchestershire sauce in mine because I can't use it. Can't
eat cream soups either. I would use beef gravy in mine. To make it, I
would add some sweet rice flour to the meat after it is browned. Just
enough to coat. You could use regular flour. I just happen to like the
this stuff. I can buy it in a small quantity and it's cheap. Then slowly
add some beef broth to the mix and stir it through. Keep doing this until
it becomes the consistancy that you want. I would also add some parsley and
pepper to this and most likely a little salt.

I usually put peas in mine too. And I would add celery to the meat and
onions as it cooked. I would also add carrots if my daughter weren't going
to eat it. She hates cooked carrots.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 28, 3:27*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> Gary wrote:
> > As I probably mentioned, I made this about 3 weeks ago on a Sunday
> > morning, ate some for a late lunch, took a short nap and woke up sick
> > with the flu. Thankfully, I had lots of leftovers that I ate each day
> > while sick. Wed-Fri, I worked all day and came home, took a long hot
> > shower, ate some of this, then went right to bed again. *It was so
> > nice to have this premade and not have to cook when I was sick.

> > Well.... since I ate the last batch while sick, I decided to make
> > another when healthy so I made another on Christmas Eve. *I have one
> > more meal to make to finish later today and I love it. *I serve with
> > chunky applesauce (with a bit of brown sugar added) and a couple of
> > slices of fresh bread and butter.

> > Here's the recipe:

> > 1 1/2 lbs ground beast
> > 2 medium onions chopped
> > 1 TBS worchestershire sauce

> > Fry all this up and drain.

> > Put the meat into a deep dish casserole dish.
> > Add 2 cans of corn kernals and one can of green beans (all drained)

> > Combine 1 can each of Campbells Cream of Chicken and one of Cream of
> > Mushroom soup
> > Put this mix over the vegetables.

> > Top with a batch of homemade mashed potatoes.

> > Cook covered until bubbly, then *take off the lid and add about 4
> > ounces of grated sharp cheddar cheese to melt.

> > Note: I know some of you frown on using the soup mix for gravy but
> > it's very good. *I'll be glad to hear how to make that from scratch,
> > otherwise, I'll stick to the soup mix.

> > Gary

> I don't put the worchestershire sauce in mine because I can't use it. *Can't
> eat cream soups either. *I would use beef gravy in mine. *To make it, I
> would add some sweet rice flour to the meat after it is browned. *Just
> enough to coat. *You could use regular flour. *I just happen to like the
> this stuff. *I can buy it in a small quantity and it's cheap. *Then slowly
> add some beef broth to the mix and stir it through. *Keep doing this until
> it becomes the consistancy that you want. *I would also add some parsley and
> pepper to this and most likely a little salt.
>
> I usually put peas in mine too. *And I would add celery to the meat and
> onions as it cooked. *I would also add carrots if my daughter weren't going
> to eat it. *She hates cooked carrots.

What does your daughter eat...it sounds like she eats only what she
wants!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo wrote:
> On Dec 28, 3:27 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> Gary wrote:
>>> As I probably mentioned, I made this about 3 weeks ago on a Sunday
>>> morning, ate some for a late lunch, took a short nap and woke up
>>> sick with the flu. Thankfully, I had lots of leftovers that I ate
>>> each day while sick. Wed-Fri, I worked all day and came home, took
>>> a long hot shower, ate some of this, then went right to bed again.
>>> It was so nice to have this premade and not have to cook when I was
>>> sick.

>>> Well.... since I ate the last batch while sick, I decided to make
>>> another when healthy so I made another on Christmas Eve. I have one
>>> more meal to make to finish later today and I love it. I serve with
>>> chunky applesauce (with a bit of brown sugar added) and a couple of
>>> slices of fresh bread and butter.

>>> Here's the recipe:

>>> 1 1/2 lbs ground beast
>>> 2 medium onions chopped
>>> 1 TBS worchestershire sauce

>>> Fry all this up and drain.

>>> Put the meat into a deep dish casserole dish.
>>> Add 2 cans of corn kernals and one can of green beans (all drained)

>>> Combine 1 can each of Campbells Cream of Chicken and one of Cream of
>>> Mushroom soup
>>> Put this mix over the vegetables.

>>> Top with a batch of homemade mashed potatoes.

>>> Cook covered until bubbly, then take off the lid and add about 4
>>> ounces of grated sharp cheddar cheese to melt.

>>> Note: I know some of you frown on using the soup mix for gravy but
>>> it's very good. I'll be glad to hear how to make that from scratch,
>>> otherwise, I'll stick to the soup mix.

>>> Gary

>> I don't put the worchestershire sauce in mine because I can't use
>> it. Can't eat cream soups either. I would use beef gravy in mine. To
>> make it, I would add some sweet rice flour to the meat after it is
>> browned. Just enough to coat. You could use regular flour. I just
>> happen to like the this stuff. I can buy it in a small quantity and
>> it's cheap. Then slowly add some beef broth to the mix and stir it
>> through. Keep doing this until it becomes the consistancy that you
>> want. I would also add some parsley and pepper to this and most
>> likely a little salt.
>>
>> I usually put peas in mine too. And I would add celery to the meat
>> and onions as it cooked. I would also add carrots if my daughter
>> weren't going to eat it. She hates cooked carrots.

> What does your daughter eat...it sounds like she eats only what she
> wants!

Yep! And that's pretty much how it was in my house when I was growing up.
We all ate what we wanted. So long as what we wanted wasn't junk food. And
the same goes for her. Her favorite foods are cheese, black olives, canned
green beans and raw baby carrots. Probably the next favorite foods would be
plain chicken, Mexican or white rice, mashed potatoes, and red bell peppers,
cooked or raw. Sadly the rice isn't on her diet. She has to eat brown rice
now and doesn't really like it. No potatoes either. She can eat sweet
potatoes. She also loves certain kinds of apples, raw or baked and
unsweetened applesauce. And many kinds of beans, including hummus. Also
likes popcorn.

Since she grew up eating very little in the way of sugar or processed foods
or even bread type products, she never developed a taste for them. When
given a roll in a restaurant recently, she didn't know what to do with it.
And when I said I was going to make whole wheat biscuits, she didn't know
what they were. Because she was diagnosed with a wheat/gluten intolerance
at age 6, she is unfamiliar with a lot of bready type foods. The GF stuff
just wasn't very good so she only ate it as a last resort. I don't remember
making much in the way of biscuits when she was young. I did make dumplings
quite a bit and she loved them but she doesn't remember. She did like the
whole wheat dumplings that I made recently. I didn't care for them as much
as I do the regular ones. But since she doesn't remember the regular ones,
they are fine for her.

If I were to get one of those people who look in your refrigerator, they
would probably give me a high grade. There is bottled water, some meat,
beans, cheese, fruit and veg. Pickles and olives. Lots of insulin. Heh!
But very few processed foods. There is some no sugar fruit spread, mustard,
mayo, ketchup and some salad dressing. Also a package of tortillas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 28, 7:23*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> Chemo wrote:

> >> I don't put the worchestershire sauce in mine because I can't use
> >> it. Can't eat cream soups either. I would use beef gravy in mine. To
> >> make it, I would add some sweet rice flour to the meat after it is
> >> browned. Just enough to coat. You could use regular flour. I just
> >> happen to like the this stuff. I can buy it in a small quantity and
> >> it's cheap. Then slowly add some beef broth to the mix and stir it
> >> through. Keep doing this until it becomes the consistancy that you
> >> want. I would also add some parsley and pepper to this and most
> >> likely a little salt.

> >> I usually put peas in mine too. And I would add celery to the meat
> >> and onions as it cooked. I would also add carrots if my daughter
> >> weren't going to eat it. She hates cooked carrots.

> > What does your daughter eat...it sounds like she eats only what she
> > wants!

> Yep! *And that's pretty much how it was in my house when I was growing up.
> We all ate what we wanted. *So long as what we wanted wasn't junk food. *And
> the same goes for her. *Her favorite foods are cheese, black olives, canned
> green beans and raw baby carrots. *Probably the next favorite foods would be
> plain chicken, Mexican or white rice, mashed potatoes, and red bell peppers,
> cooked or raw. *Sadly the rice isn't on her diet. *She has to eat brown rice
> now and doesn't really like it. *No potatoes either. *She can eat sweet
> potatoes. *She also loves certain kinds of apples, raw or baked and
> unsweetened applesauce. *And many kinds of beans, including hummus. *Also
> likes popcorn.
>
> Since she grew up eating very little in the way of sugar or processed foods
> or even bread type products, she never developed a taste for them. *When
> given a roll in a restaurant recently, she didn't know what to do with it..
> And when I said I was going to make whole wheat biscuits, she didn't know
> what they were. *Because she was diagnosed with a wheat/gluten intolerance
> at age 6, she is unfamiliar with a lot of bready type foods. *The GF stuff
> just wasn't very good so she only ate it as a last resort. *I don't remember
> making much in the way of biscuits when she was young. *I did make dumplings
> quite a bit and she loved them but she doesn't remember. *She did like the
> whole wheat dumplings that I made recently. *I didn't care for them as much
> as I do the regular ones. *But since she doesn't remember the regular ones,
> they are fine for her.
>
> If I were to get one of those people who look in your refrigerator, they
> would probably give me a high grade. *There is bottled water, some meat,
> beans, cheese, fruit and veg. *Pickles and olives. *Lots of insulin. *Heh!
> But very few processed foods. *There is some no sugar fruit spread, mustard,
> mayo, ketchup and some salad dressing. *Also a package of tortillas.

She sounds like she'd be a real pain if she went to someone else's
house for dinner.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo wrote:
> On Dec 28, 7:23 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> Chemo wrote:

>>> What does your daughter eat...it sounds like she eats only what she
>>> wants!

>> Yep! And that's pretty much how it was in my house when I was
>> growing up. We all ate what we wanted. So long as what we wanted
>> wasn't junk food. And the same goes for her. Her favorite foods are
>> cheese, black olives, canned green beans and raw baby carrots.
>> Probably the next favorite foods would be plain chicken, Mexican or
>> white rice, mashed potatoes, and red bell peppers, cooked or raw.
>> Sadly the rice isn't on her diet. She has to eat brown rice now and
>> doesn't really like it. No potatoes either. She can eat sweet
>> potatoes. She also loves certain kinds of apples, raw or baked and
>> unsweetened applesauce. And many kinds of beans, including hummus.
>> Also likes popcorn.
>>
>> Since she grew up eating very little in the way of sugar or
>> processed foods or even bread type products, she never developed a
>> taste for them. When given a roll in a restaurant recently, she
>> didn't know what to do with it. And when I said I was going to make
>> whole wheat biscuits, she didn't know what they were. Because she
>> was diagnosed with a wheat/gluten intolerance at age 6, she is
>> unfamiliar with a lot of bready type foods. The GF stuff just wasn't
>> very good so she only ate it as a last resort. I don't remember
>> making much in the way of biscuits when she was young. I did make
>> dumplings quite a bit and she loved them but she doesn't remember.
>> She did like the whole wheat dumplings that I made recently. I
>> didn't care for them as much as I do the regular ones. But since she
>> doesn't remember the regular ones, they are fine for her.
>>
>> If I were to get one of those people who look in your refrigerator,
>> they would probably give me a high grade. There is bottled water,
>> some meat, beans, cheese, fruit and veg. Pickles and olives. Lots of
>> insulin. Heh!
>> But very few processed foods. There is some no sugar fruit spread,
>> mustard, mayo, ketchup and some salad dressing. Also a package of
>> tortillas.

> She sounds like she'd be a real pain if she went to someone else's
> house for dinner.

I generally don't do that. If I did do that I would bring my own food.
Unless another person actually has the same food intolerances as I do, they
don't understand what is safe for me to eat or not. Wait staff at
restaurants don't always get it either. I asked for a plain baked potato
and they put butter on my plate. When daughter couldn't have wheat, I asked
if there was anything put on the pork chops because she couldn't have wheat.
I was told there was no wheat. They came out breaded. I asked the waitress
what was on it. She said flour. And I said, "Flour is made of...?" She
said she didn't know. I replied that it was wheat!

If I do go to a restaurant, I try to go to places that cook mainly from
scratch and where I can talk to the cook. Otherwise pretty much the only
safe options are a hamburger patty, maybe chili or fries. The baked
potatoes aren't even necessarily safe because they might be rubbed with
butter or margarine. And dinner salads aren't necessarily safe because even
though I have asked about what is on them, they might put pecans, eggs or
dairy. All things I can't have. But... If I do go to a restaurant I am
also paying for the food and even if I order simple things and side dishes,
I expect to get something I can safely eat. Cross contamination issues
aside...

But I can't say the same for eating at another person's house. I do not
expect them to cook something for me even though I will go out of my way to
cook something they can and will eat. My husband used to expect me to cook
for his extended family and although there were no food allergies or
intolerances, some of the family members had GERD and couldn't eat specific
things because of that. And my one SIL won't eat mashed potatoes. So I
always made an alternate form of potatoes when she was dining with us.