Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default my version of Shepard's Pie

Chemo wrote:
> On Dec 28, 3:27 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> Gary wrote:
>>> As I probably mentioned, I made this about 3 weeks ago on a Sunday
>>> morning, ate some for a late lunch, took a short nap and woke up
>>> sick with the flu. Thankfully, I had lots of leftovers that I ate
>>> each day while sick. Wed-Fri, I worked all day and came home, took
>>> a long hot shower, ate some of this, then went right to bed again.
>>> It was so nice to have this premade and not have to cook when I was
>>> sick.

>>> Well.... since I ate the last batch while sick, I decided to make
>>> another when healthy so I made another on Christmas Eve. I have one
>>> more meal to make to finish later today and I love it. I serve with
>>> chunky applesauce (with a bit of brown sugar added) and a couple of
>>> slices of fresh bread and butter.

>>> Here's the recipe:

>>> 1 1/2 lbs ground beast
>>> 2 medium onions chopped
>>> 1 TBS worchestershire sauce

>>> Fry all this up and drain.

>>> Put the meat into a deep dish casserole dish.
>>> Add 2 cans of corn kernals and one can of green beans (all drained)

>>> Combine 1 can each of Campbells Cream of Chicken and one of Cream of
>>> Mushroom soup
>>> Put this mix over the vegetables.

>>> Top with a batch of homemade mashed potatoes.

>>> Cook covered until bubbly, then take off the lid and add about 4
>>> ounces of grated sharp cheddar cheese to melt.

>>> Note: I know some of you frown on using the soup mix for gravy but
>>> it's very good. I'll be glad to hear how to make that from scratch,
>>> otherwise, I'll stick to the soup mix.

>>> Gary

>> I don't put the worchestershire sauce in mine because I can't use
>> it. Can't eat cream soups either. I would use beef gravy in mine. To
>> make it, I would add some sweet rice flour to the meat after it is
>> browned. Just enough to coat. You could use regular flour. I just
>> happen to like the this stuff. I can buy it in a small quantity and
>> it's cheap. Then slowly add some beef broth to the mix and stir it
>> through. Keep doing this until it becomes the consistancy that you
>> want. I would also add some parsley and pepper to this and most
>> likely a little salt.
>>
>> I usually put peas in mine too. And I would add celery to the meat
>> and onions as it cooked. I would also add carrots if my daughter
>> weren't going to eat it. She hates cooked carrots.

> What does your daughter eat...it sounds like she eats only what she
> wants!

Yep! And that's pretty much how it was in my house when I was growing up.
We all ate what we wanted. So long as what we wanted wasn't junk food. And
the same goes for her. Her favorite foods are cheese, black olives, canned
green beans and raw baby carrots. Probably the next favorite foods would be
plain chicken, Mexican or white rice, mashed potatoes, and red bell peppers,
cooked or raw. Sadly the rice isn't on her diet. She has to eat brown rice
now and doesn't really like it. No potatoes either. She can eat sweet
potatoes. She also loves certain kinds of apples, raw or baked and
unsweetened applesauce. And many kinds of beans, including hummus. Also
likes popcorn.

Since she grew up eating very little in the way of sugar or processed foods
or even bread type products, she never developed a taste for them. When
given a roll in a restaurant recently, she didn't know what to do with it.
And when I said I was going to make whole wheat biscuits, she didn't know
what they were. Because she was diagnosed with a wheat/gluten intolerance
at age 6, she is unfamiliar with a lot of bready type foods. The GF stuff
just wasn't very good so she only ate it as a last resort. I don't remember
making much in the way of biscuits when she was young. I did make dumplings
quite a bit and she loved them but she doesn't remember. She did like the
whole wheat dumplings that I made recently. I didn't care for them as much
as I do the regular ones. But since she doesn't remember the regular ones,
they are fine for her.

If I were to get one of those people who look in your refrigerator, they
would probably give me a high grade. There is bottled water, some meat,
beans, cheese, fruit and veg. Pickles and olives. Lots of insulin. Heh!
But very few processed foods. There is some no sugar fruit spread, mustard,
mayo, ketchup and some salad dressing. Also a package of tortillas.