Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Shepard's Pie

making this sometime this week.

Chocolate Stout Cheddar Shepherd’s Pie (serves 6)
by Rogue Creamery on Wednesday, 15 February 2012 at 11:56 ·

Classic comfort food with a Southern Oregon twist. Our Chocolate
Stout Cheddar stars in this satisfying traditional with a savory layer
of meat and root vegetables topped with a layer of cheesy mashed
potatoes. Make ahead in single serving dishes for a satisfying midweek
meal.

6 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered

1 ½ lb. organic ground beef or lamb

1 c. onion, finely chopped

2 c. vegetables: combination of chopped carrots, parsnips, peas

2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

3/4 c. Rogue Ales Chocolate Stout

½ c. milk or cream

¾ c.. butter

8 oz. Rogue Chocolate Stout Cheddar, shredded

salt and pepper to taste

Boil potatoes in salted water until tender (20-25 minutes).

While potatoes cook, melt ¼ c. butter in a large, deep skillet.
Saute onions over medium heat, 2-3 minutes. Add carrots and
parsnips. Cook for 5 minutes. Add ground meat and cook until no
longer pink. Add peas, Chocolate Stout and salt and pepper to taste.
Reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes until stout is reduced.

Mash potatoes in a large bowl with remaining butter and milk. Season
to taste. Add 1 ½ c. shredded cheese. Stir to combine.

Pour meat and vegetable mixture into a large casserole or six single
serving dishes. Top meat mixture with mashed potatoes and remaining
cheese.

Bake in a 400 degree oven until bubbling and browned on top, 25 -30
minutes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 15, 3:28*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> making this sometime this week.
>
> Chocolate Stout Cheddar Shepherd’s Pie (serves 6)
> by Rogue Creamery on Wednesday, 15 February 2012 at 11:56 ·
>
> Classic comfort food with a Southern Oregon twist. *Our Chocolate
> Stout Cheddar stars in this satisfying traditional with a savory layer
> of meat and root vegetables topped with a layer of cheesy mashed
> potatoes. Make ahead in single serving dishes for a satisfying midweek
> meal.

I don't want cheese in my shepherd's pie, let alone chocolate
stout...erg. I do want lamb but understand westertners don't alweays
love it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/16/2012 1:26 PM, Giusi wrote:
> On Feb 15, 3:28 pm, Chemo the > wrote:
>> making this sometime this week.
>>
>> Chocolate Stout Cheddar Shepherd’s Pie (serves 6)
>> by Rogue Creamery on Wednesday, 15 February 2012 at 11:56 ·
>>
>> Classic comfort food with a Southern Oregon twist. Our Chocolate
>> Stout Cheddar stars in this satisfying traditional with a savory layer
>> of meat and root vegetables topped with a layer of cheesy mashed
>> potatoes. Make ahead in single serving dishes for a satisfying midweek
>> meal.

> I don't want cheese in my shepherd's pie, let alone chocolate
> stout...erg. I do want lamb but understand westertners don't alweays
> love it.

I was used to minced beef and onions in a Shepherd's Pie when I was a
child. I never had lamb tho' I use turkey these days but I do sprinkle
cheese on the top before baking. The beer is optional, IMHO, but I've
also used red wine with beef.

--
Jim Silverton

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 10:26:42 -0800 (PST), Giusi
> wrote:

> I do want lamb but understand westertners don't alweays
> love it.

The last time I made it, I stewed a lamb shank just for that pie.
M-m-good!