Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Meat Loaf

On 12/30/2012 3:16 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> "spamtrap1888" > wrote
>> On Dec 30, 10:49 am, S Viemeister > wrote:

>> Are you the Master of Cattle or is it your husband? Either way, it's
>> too bad you weren't home to tell those cows to leave your fence alone.

> She said Common Grazings ...

I believe s/he means Himself's surname - the family were dairy farmers,
which is reflected in the name.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 12/30/2012 3:16 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "spamtrap1888" > wrote
>>> On Dec 30, 10:49 am, S Viemeister > wrote:

>>> Are you the Master of Cattle or is it your husband? Either way, it's
>>> too bad you weren't home to tell those cows to leave your fence alone.

>> She said Common Grazings ...
>>

> I believe s/he means Himself's surname - the family were dairy farmers,
> which is reflected in the name.

Ahhh, understood)

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 21:16:59 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"cshenk" > wrote in message
m...

>>> Yes, ours are called red, orange, green peppers When sf started
>>> talking about chili peppers not being hot, I took fright <g>

>> SF has not lived overseas and took a comment of mine wrong I suspect.

>Ahhh that would do it!!!
>
>--

cshenk was not participating at that early point in the thread when
the confusion over chili sauce and peppers came about.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 21:16:59 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"cshenk" > wrote in message
om...

>>> SF has not lived overseas and took a comment of mine wrong I suspect.

>>Ahhh that would do it!!!
>>
>>--

> cshenk was not participating at that early point in the thread when
> the confusion over chili sauce and peppers came about.

<sigh> it turned into such a long thread. My point was only that we are
not interested in Asian food, so pressing us about them is a waste of time.
The things mentioned might be here, but since we are not interested in them
they are not something we would look for or even notice. I really object to
being vilified for not liking them, not knowing about them and not being
interested in them. I lived in India for a protracted period, but I still
wasn't interested in 'hot' food. Our cook had worked in the Saudi Embassy
and served the North African foods he had learned there, so we rarely had to
deal with anything 'hot'.

I took Carol's point to be that if you are only used to your the foods in
your own area, you may think that is general. I agree with her, but then
when you get the chorus from the sidelines trying to stir things, it tends
to blur matters. I don't think Carol was out of line, in fact I think she
tried to help.

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 22:22:49 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

snip
Our cook had worked in the Saudi Embassy
>and served the North African foods he had learned there, so we rarely had to
>deal with anything 'hot'.

Do you have any African recipes from that time? All I have is a
'stew' from when my daughter was in Benin.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> Our cook had worked in the Saudi Embassy
>> and served the North African foods he had learned there, so we rarely had to
>> deal with anything 'hot'.

> Do you have any African recipes from that time? All I have is a
> 'stew' from when my daughter was in Benin.

I have some European recipes.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 21:22:12 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> news
> > sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> >> She still doesn't understand about AMERICAN chili sauce.

> > It's an international group and she's not an American so if there is
> > confusion, describe it better?
> >
> > She may have encountered it under another name or she may not have seen
> > it and be interested in it.
> >
> > Oh might be good to note that 'ketchup' is a generic term only
> > solidifed to one product in the USA and some parts of Canada.
> >
> > It;s like ordering 'cheese pizza' in Japan. What you get is
> > interesting but no relation to USA expectations. Same can happen in OZ
> > when asking for a hamburger.

> Others in this thread keep having a dig about it being available here. As I
> have said time after time, we are not interested in Asian food so it is not
> something I would be looking for. Is it available here? I have no idea
> because it would mean nothing to me even if I did see it.
>
> --

It's not Asian.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 16:58:17 -0500, S Viemeister
> wrote:

> On 12/30/2012 3:16 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> > "spamtrap1888" > wrote
> >> On Dec 30, 10:49 am, S Viemeister > wrote:

> >> Are you the Master of Cattle or is it your husband? Either way, it's
> >> too bad you weren't home to tell those cows to leave your fence alone.

> > She said Common Grazings ...
> >

> I believe s/he means Himself's surname - the family were dairy farmers,
> which is reflected in the name.

I thought she was talking about a cow pasture.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 16:54:04 -0500, Cheryl >
wrote:

> On 12/30/2012 5:41 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>
> > That's the first one I have seen with sliced potatoes! That has given me a
> > few ideas Are the potatoes raw?

> After this thread started yesterday, I made potatoes au gratin. I make
> them with the potatoes raw and sliced thin on a mandolin.

I went out for pizza. <ducking>

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/29/2012 5:20 PM, Farm1 wrote:

> Interesting. I don't recall ever seeing powdered bay leaf.
>
> But now I think of it, I wouldn't have noticed anyway since I have at least
> 2 bay trees in the garden and ahvent' bought any bay for years. I must try
> to remember to have a ook next time I'm at the grocers.

My youngest son called me last week, because he was cooking something
and he had a couple of questions. I reminded him that he needed to take
the bay leaves out before he served it. He sounded puzzled, then he
said he bought powdered bay leaves. Uh, okay. This is the first time I
have heard of it.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 20:16:48 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"spamtrap1888" > wrote in message

>>> No - lots of family stuff going on in the US. But I have to get back
>>> fairly soon, to arrange to put up some new fencing. We have drystane
>>> dykes around most of the property, but there's a section with just
>>> fencing. We're we're surrounded by the common grazings, and the
>>> neighbour's cows have done major damage to the fence. My cousin has
>>> bodged-up a temporary patch, but it really needs to be completely
>>> replaced, with new fenceposts and gateposts.

>> Are you the Master of Cattle or is it your husband? Either way, it's
>> too bad you weren't home to tell those cows to leave your fence alone.

>She said Common Grazings ...
>
>--

Around here, we have what is called Bureau of Land Management Land.
Animals -- beef and sheep -- are allowed to graze freely in this area
(although not free). I assumed that common grazings indicated such an
arrangement with the cattle and the neighboring land. Someone
elaborate, please.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/30/2012 7:17 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> Around here, we have what is called Bureau of Land Management Land.
> Animals -- beef and sheep -- are allowed to graze freely in this area
> (although not free). I assumed that common grazings indicated such an
> arrangement with the cattle and the neighboring land. Someone
> elaborate, please.

It's a bit like the old New England Common (think Boston Common, in
Colonial days), where landowners had the right to graze a certain number
of animals, based on their holdings.

This may help explain in more detail -

<http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/advice_topics/finding_a_place_to_live/crofts_and_crofting/about_crofts_and_crofting>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Farm1" > wrote in :

> "Janet" > wrote in message

times

>>> So bay is still tough in your growing conditions? Interesting given
>>> how much rain you mob have had in the past year.

>> Well, I doubt it would put up with standing in water but mine grows
>> in a raised bed with the thinnest poorest sandy soil in the garden
>> which drains very fast.
>> A couple of winters ago, we had a spell cold enough to kill it back
>> to ground level; but it sprouted up again in spring and is about 4 ft
>> high and wide atm.

> That's impressive. Here a freidn of min ehas trouble keep ing her
> Bays alive because the kangaroos eat them - all pruned up to about
> 6ft.
>
> I do know what you mean aobut the mounds though because I know a chap
> who lives in a wet place who has to plant his trees on mounds. Lucky
> man having all that rain. I'm struggling ATM trying to overcome water
> repellent soil in one of my veg beds. Once the soil becomes that dry
> it is a real struggle to get it moist again - just watering constantly
> with a sprinkler does not work :-(((

http://www.bunnings.com.au/sustainab...water-storage-
crystals.aspx

"Water storage crystals act as reservoirs of water in the soil that
plants can access during dry conditions. Crystals can absorb up to 400
times their weight in water and should be mixed into the soil or potting
mix before planting. The plants root system will then seek these small
reservoirs and penetrate the crystals."

*Everyone* has a Bunnings close by!! :-)

--
Peter
Brisbane

To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one.
It is rather and endless struggle
that will go on to the very last moment of our lives.
Nobody is born a warrior,in exactly the same way that
nobody is born an average man.
We have to make ourselves into one or the other.
A warrior must only take care that his spirit is not broken.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> says...
>>
>> On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 21:58:27 +1100, "Farm1" >
>> wrote:

times

>> > I was writing about it's growing conditions. I know that bay grows
>> > well in
>> > hot conditions but it's been very wet in many parts of the UK over the
>> > past
>> > year and a lot of water at it's roots would be hard on many trees. I
>> > would
>> > have thought that bay wouldn't like such conditions.
>> >

>> Oh, okay. You got me mixed up with your use of "tough". I'd use
>> "hearty" when talking about vegetation.

> Gardeners use the descriptions "tough" and "hardy" which don't
> necessarily mean the same thing. Hardiness usually refers to degree of
> cold tolerance; tough means resistant to adverse challenges such as
> heat, drought, wet, etc.

And I guess that being an Australian I use it more than perhaps UK gardeners
would. Here a plant that is as 'tough as nanny goat's knees' is considered
a treasure.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 16:19:13 -0000, Janet > wrote:

>> Gardeners use the descriptions "tough" and "hardy" which don't
>> necessarily mean the same thing. Hardiness usually refers to degree of
>> cold tolerance; tough means resistant to adverse challenges such as >>
>> heat, drought, wet, etc.
>>

> Okay, thanks. Obviously, I'm not much of a gardener.

Janet and I met years ago through our mutual interest in gardening. She is
a very knowledgable gardener whereas I'm just a mug gardener who enjoys
growing things.

And you might be rather too hard on yourself if you've never tried to garden
before. It's amazing how a bit of consistency can get good results even if
accompanied by little knowledge.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"I'm back" > wrote in message
> "Farm1" > wrote in
>> "Janet" > wrote in message
>>> In article >, times says...

times

>>> Well, I doubt it would put up with standing in water but mine grows
>>> in a raised bed with the thinnest poorest sandy soil in the garden
>>> which drains very fast.
>>> A couple of winters ago, we had a spell cold enough to kill it back
>>> to ground level; but it sprouted up again in spring and is about 4 ft
>>> high and wide atm.

>> That's impressive. Here a freidn of min ehas trouble keep ing her
>> Bays alive because the kangaroos eat them - all pruned up to about
>> 6ft.
>>
>> I do know what you mean aobut the mounds though because I know a chap
>> who lives in a wet place who has to plant his trees on mounds. Lucky
>> man having all that rain. I'm struggling ATM trying to overcome water
>> repellent soil in one of my veg beds. Once the soil becomes that dry
>> it is a real struggle to get it moist again - just watering constantly
>> with a sprinkler does not work :-(((

http://www.bunnings.com.au/sustainab...water-storage-
> crystals.aspx
>

> "Water storage crystals act as reservoirs of water in the soil that
> plants can access during dry conditions. Crystals can absorb up to 400
> times their weight in water and should be mixed into the soil or potting
> mix before planting. The plants root system will then seek these small
> reservoirs and penetrate the crystals."

I'd never use water storage crystals in my veg garden. I have used them in
potplants. I fyou use too many, thye look like diamonds heaving up out of
the pot. Not a good look.

> *Everyone* has a Bunnings close by!! :-)

A pox on both Bunnings and Magnet Mart! I used to love a little old local
hardware store which, alas, is no longer. Every single time I went into
that little shop, I got exaclty what I wanted including a walnut loaf tin
would you believe! those things are as rare as rockign horse dung htese
days.

Now when I go to either Bunnings or MM, it's too often a matter of having to
take the nearest best thing. A pox on both of them I say!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 21:11:57 -0500, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 12/30/2012 7:17 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> Around here, we have what is called Bureau of Land Management Land.
>> Animals -- beef and sheep -- are allowed to graze freely in this area
>> (although not free). I assumed that common grazings indicated such an
>> arrangement with the cattle and the neighboring land. Someone
>> elaborate, please.
>>

>It's a bit like the old New England Common (think Boston Common, in
>Colonial days), where landowners had the right to graze a certain number
>of animals, based on their holdings.
>
>This may help explain in more detail -
>
><http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/advice_topics/finding_a_place_to_live/crofts_and_crofting/about_crofts_and_crofting>

thank you. I really appreciate that link. I thought I understood
what a croft was. I thought the house and land was used by the
crofter and was paid for in rent. I thought the croft holding was
where the animals were grazed and crops grown. I see now that is not
strictly true. I also thought that the estate was the governing body,
I didn't realize the village aspect of it. Thanks again.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Farm1" > wrote in :

> "I'm back" > wrote in message

> A pox on both Bunnings and Magnet Mart!

Ahhhh, you're down *that* way.

My friends parents are going back there today.

> I used to love a little old
> local hardware store which, alas, is no longer. Every single time I
> went into that little shop, I got exaclty what I wanted including a
> walnut loaf tin would you believe! those things are as rare as
> rockign horse dung htese days.
>
> Now when I go to either Bunnings or MM, it's too often a matter of
> having to take the nearest best thing. A pox on both of them I say!

The price of progress.

--
Peter
Brisbane
Australia

To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one.
It is rather and endless struggle
that will go on to the very last moment of our lives.
Nobody is born a warrior,in exactly the same way that
nobody is born an average man.
We have to make ourselves into one or the other.
A warrior must only take care that his spirit is not broken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 14:06:40 +1100, "Farm1" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 16:19:13 -0000, Janet > wrote:

> >> Gardeners use the descriptions "tough" and "hardy" which don't
> >> necessarily mean the same thing. Hardiness usually refers to degree of
> >> cold tolerance; tough means resistant to adverse challenges such as >>
> >> heat, drought, wet, etc.
> >>

> > Okay, thanks. Obviously, I'm not much of a gardener.

> Janet and I met years ago through our mutual interest in gardening. She is
> a very knowledgable gardener whereas I'm just a mug gardener who enjoys
> growing things.
>
> And you might be rather too hard on yourself if you've never tried to garden
> before. It's amazing how a bit of consistency can get good results even if
> accompanied by little knowledge.

I put things in the ground, don't water it in spite of this being an
arid climate and hope it grows.

It's like me and cloth. I put everything I have washed into the
dryer. If it's ruined in the dryer, that means it wasn't meant to be
mine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 13:44:22 +1100, "Farm1" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 15:43:31 -0000, Janet > wrote:
> >
> >> In article >, times says...

times says...

> >> Well, I doubt it would put up with standing in water but mine grows
> >> in a raised bed with the thinnest poorest sandy soil in the garden
> >> which drains very fast.
> >> A couple of winters ago, we had a spell cold enough to kill it back to
> >> ground level; but it sprouted up again in spring and is about 4 ft high
> >> and wide atm.
> >>

> > All the better for taking leaves off for cooking purposes. I've often
> > thought I'd like to plant a California Bay tree in my back yard but I
> > live in the city and it would make my tiny yard too shady after a
> > while.

> Why a California Bay as opposed to the more normal Bay (Laurus nobilis)? I
> see from a google that California Bay ahs a stronger flavour than normal Bay
> so is that the reason?

No. The reason is the mature tree will be too big and shade too much
of my yard. It's a city yard. Think: 35 ft by 40ft, which is big for
this city but a Bay tree would shade too much of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 22:22:49 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
> snip
> Our cook had worked in the Saudi Embassy
>>and served the North African foods he had learned there, so we rarely had
>>deal with anything 'hot'.

> Do you have any African recipes from that time? All I have is a
> 'stew' from when my daughter was in Benin.

None I am afraid. I didn't do any cooking there, I left it all to him.
Changed days eh? )

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 14:06:40 +1100, "Farm1" >
> wrote:

>> > Okay, thanks. Obviously, I'm not much of a gardener.

>> Janet and I met years ago through our mutual interest in gardening. She
>> is
>> a very knowledgable gardener whereas I'm just a mug gardener who enjoys
>> growing things.
>>
>> And you might be rather too hard on yourself if you've never tried to
>> garden
>> before. It's amazing how a bit of consistency can get good results even
>> if
>> accompanied by little knowledge.
>>

> I put things in the ground, don't water it in spite of this being an
> arid climate and hope it grows.
>
> It's like me and cloth. I put everything I have washed into the
> dryer. If it's ruined in the dryer, that means it wasn't meant to be
> mine.

LOL. Well you are well aware of your areas of weakness and that is a lot
more awareness than many people have :-))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/31/2012 12:42 AM, sf wrote:

> To be perfectly honest, I think if they are used in the correct
> proportion... you wouldn't say "I taste bay", but I know by personal
> experience that if you are in tune with a dish: when bay is used and
> it's missing you'll know something is wrong. You probably won't
> pinpoint it as bay, but you'll know there's something wrong.

+1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/30/2012 11:07 PM, Farm1 wrote:

> A pox on both Bunnings and Magnet Mart! I used to love a little old local
> hardware store which, alas, is no longer. Every single time I went into
> that little shop, I got exaclty what I wanted including a walnut loaf tin
> would you believe! those things are as rare as rockign horse dung htese
> days.

Walnut loaf tin? Sounds interesting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> > After this thread started yesterday, I made potatoes au gratin. I make
> > them with the potatoes raw and sliced thin on a mandolin.
> >

> Oops, I thought this was still the gratin thread.

I like to slice them medium-thick, maybe 1/8" or so. Takes a little longer
to cook, but it's worth it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 14:54:46 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > She still doesn't understand about AMERICAN chili sauce.

> > It's an international group and she's not an American so if there is
> > confusion, describe it better?
> >
> > She may have encountered it under another name or she may not have
> > seen it and be interested in it.
> >
> > Oh might be good to note that 'ketchup' is a generic term only
> > solidifed to one product in the USA and some parts of Canada.
> >
> > It;s like ordering 'cheese pizza' in Japan. What you get is
> > interesting but no relation to USA expectations. Same can happen
> > in OZ when asking for a hamburger.

> I am very much aware that she's not American and I also know how
> scared she is of any heat. I was talking about chili sauce....
> AMERICAN style chili sauce, which she assumed was hot.

Um, I'm an American and I'd assume the same. Short of the mass market
kraft versions they are fairly hot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > It's an international group and she's not an American so if there is
>> > confusion, describe it better?
>> >
>> > She may have encountered it under another name or she may not have
>> > seen it and be interested in it.
>> >
>> > Oh might be good to note that 'ketchup' is a generic term only
>> > solidifed to one product in the USA and some parts of Canada.
>> >
>> > It;s like ordering 'cheese pizza' in Japan. What you get is
>> > interesting but no relation to USA expectations. Same can happen
>> > in OZ when asking for a hamburger.

>> I am very much aware that she's not American and I also know how
>> scared she is of any heat. I was talking about chili sauce....
>> AMERICAN style chili sauce, which she assumed was hot.

> Um, I'm an American and I'd assume the same. Short of the mass market
> kraft versions they are fairly hot.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> news
> > sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> (aka-bell >>> > > peppers)

> started >>> > talking about chili peppers not being hot, I took
> fright <g>

> > > She still doesn't understand about AMERICAN chili sauce.

> > It's an international group and she's not an American so if there is
> > confusion, describe it better?
> >
> > She may have encountered it under another name or she may not have
> > seen it and be interested in it.
> >
> > Oh might be good to note that 'ketchup' is a generic term only
> > solidifed to one product in the USA and some parts of Canada.
> >
> > It;s like ordering 'cheese pizza' in Japan. What you get is
> > interesting but no relation to USA expectations. Same can happen
> > in OZ when asking for a hamburger.

> Others in this thread keep having a dig about it being available
> here. As I have said time after time, we are not interested in Asian
> food so it is not something I would be looking for. Is it available
> here? I have no idea because it would mean nothing to me even if I
> did see it.

I wouldn't worry about it. I like the idea of the mushroom ketchup and
wonder if you made it up yet and how it went? I'm skipping about
messages so may have missed it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message

> > > Yes, ours are called red, orange, green peppers When sf started
> > > talking about chili peppers not being hot, I took fright <g>

> > SF has not lived overseas and took a comment of mine wrong I
> > suspect.

> Ahhh that would do it!!!

Possibly. BTW, I don't read all the posts. I did see something on
'chili sauce' and a comment on hotness?

Grin, that begs the question of 'how hot is hot'? That varies a HECK
of a lot across the USA and overseas as well as you can imagine. My
best translation would be is you can munch a raw jalapeno, you'd
probably not be bothered by any chili sauce here unless it's label
specifically said 'hot' but some of those can hit habenero almost
levels. Some of them though are very mild such as one that is made by
Kraft (horrible sickly sweet stuff with a touch of paprika to my view).

Hot for the sake of hot never enthused me. There's really only one
'hot' food i really like and that's kimchee and yes, i love the genuine
not watered down Thai and Korean versions. I also make Kimchee at home
but in deference to the family make it pretty mild. Even my mild
version isn't on the table for guests unless i warn them well and some
of them like 'hot'.

I'm partial to wasabi but not often and not in large amounts. I use it
for a mild kick to dishes by the powdered pinch.

If you are slightly interested in making a 'chili sauce' the basics are
to make up a fairly standard american tomato 'ketchup' then add roasted
powdered hotter chiles of a mixed type until you hit your desired heat
level. It's a condiment I have little use for but some like it quite
well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 21:16:59 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

> though >>>>> > When peppers were mentioned I just needed to check
> they were the >>>>> > same peppers I

> > > Ahhh that would do it!!!
> > >
> > > --

> > cshenk was not participating at that early point in the thread when
> > the confusion over chili sauce and peppers came about.
> >

> <sigh> it turned into such a long thread. My point was only that we
> are not interested in Asian food, so pressing us about them is a
> waste of time. The things mentioned might be here, but since we are
> not interested in them they are not something we would look for or
> even notice. I really object to being vilified for not liking them,
> not knowing about them and not being interested in them. I lived in
> India for a protracted period, but I still wasn't interested in 'hot'
> food. Our cook had worked in the Saudi Embassy and served the North
> African foods he had learned there, so we rarely had to deal with
> anything 'hot'.
>
> I took Carol's point to be that if you are only used to your the
> foods in your own area, you may think that is general. I agree with
> her, but then when you get the chorus from the sidelines trying to
> stir things, it tends to blur matters. I don't think Carol was out
> of line, in fact I think she tried to help.

Grin, yup. Ok, the chili sauce stuff was a byline then before me. No
biggie!

I am imterested in if you made the mushroom ketchup version thogh and
how it turned out!

I have something like the UK mushroom ketchup in my cabinet. Not same
place of origin but it is supposedly close. It may be a little sweeter
in taste (my version) so I am wondering at a proper balance to it since
I do not like sweet meatloaf. It however makes a superb brush for
chicken and is just sweet enough you get a sort of carmelizing action.
Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> news

> > > Aye, sounds just like that)

> > There's so many variations that the sliced potato one veers off the
> > traditional but there is one made in (pennsylvania dutch?) Virgina
> > that uses left over mashed potatos in place of the breadcrumbs.
> > Works nicely but a dense loaf that crumbles faster. Often served
> > in a bowl with lots of gravy from my experience. (Charlottesville
> > VA, 1972, Oskaloosa Iowa 1979).

> Mashed potato???? Heh that puts a whole nuther lot into the
> mix))))))))))))))

Sure does! 'Meat Loaf' in USA terms is just about anything you can mix
with ground meat and turn into a loaf to bake as a whole. Sure there
are classic basic versions for beef but really, there are no true
limits. Grin, that why I tried to stick to a classic version before
adding optional side elements you may want to consider. (grin).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 12/30/2012 11:07 PM, Farm1 wrote:
>
>> A pox on both Bunnings and Magnet Mart! I used to love a little old
>> local
>> hardware store which, alas, is no longer. Every single time I went into
>> that little shop, I got exaclty what I wanted including a walnut loaf tin
>> would you believe! those things are as rare as rockign horse dung htese
>> days.
>>

> Walnut loaf tin? Sounds interesting.

It's got capped ends and, if you have an older tin, it is a single sheet of
metal that, if flattened out would be a rectangle, but because it's sold
with the caps on, it's a roughly tubular shape. One side of the the tubular
shaped rectangle slides under 2 lugs on the other end of the sheet and th
elugs hold it in place once the caps go on.

One cap is put on and the tin is then stood upright on the cap and filled
from the other open end and the other cap is then put on.

Newer Walnut loaf tins are a solid tube with 2 caps and they are a PITA in
comparison to the old ones because getting the loaf out can be a bit of a
trial since the body of the pan doesn't open.

Walnut Loaf is sliced and served buttered and it's just not right unless
it's cooked in a proper Walnut Loaf tin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> Um, I'm an American and I'd assume the same. Short of the mass market
> kraft versions they are fairly hot.

I think it's a matter of being familiar with the exact item under
discussion. The chili sauce under discussion is not hot. It's like
ketchup. Here are a few examples:

http://www.delmonte.com/Products/det...=488&c=216.256
http://www.cambridgefarmskosher.com/...i-Sauce/10755/
http://www.meijer.com/s/heinz-premiu...-oz/_/R-125894

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mushroom ketchup (was Meat Loaf)

"cshenk" > wrote in message

> I wouldn't worry about it. I like the idea of the mushroom ketchup and
> wonder if you made it up yet and how it went? I'm skipping about
> messages so may have missed it.

We can buy it our supermarkets in bottles ready made and I see you can get
it from Amazon

http://tinyurl.com/bdh4t7z

But here is a recipe if you would like to try it

http://www.allotment.org.uk/recipes/...shroom-ketchup

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > SF has not lived overseas and took a comment of mine wrong I
>> > suspect.

>> Ahhh that would do it!!!

> Possibly. BTW, I don't read all the posts. I did see something on
> 'chili sauce' and a comment on hotness?
>
> Grin, that begs the question of 'how hot is hot'? That varies a HECK
> of a lot across the USA and overseas as well as you can imagine. My
> best translation would be is you can munch a raw jalapeno, you'd
> probably not be bothered by any chili sauce here unless it's label
> specifically said 'hot' but some of those can hit habenero almost
> levels. Some of them though are very mild such as one that is made by
> Kraft (horrible sickly sweet stuff with a touch of paprika to my view).
>
> Hot for the sake of hot never enthused me. There's really only one
> 'hot' food i really like and that's kimchee and yes, i love the genuine
> not watered down Thai and Korean versions. I also make Kimchee at home
> but in deference to the family make it pretty mild. Even my mild
> version isn't on the table for guests unless i warn them well and some
> of them like 'hot'.
>
> I'm partial to wasabi but not often and not in large amounts. I use it
> for a mild kick to dishes by the powdered pinch.
>
> If you are slightly interested in making a 'chili sauce' the basics are
> to make up a fairly standard american tomato 'ketchup' then add roasted
> powdered hotter chiles of a mixed type until you hit your desired heat
> level. It's a condiment I have little use for but some like it quite
> well.

Well if it helps we don't even like regular pepper much and I use black
pepper very sparingly in cooking. We don't like any spices at all Even
the mildest curry won't do.
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message

> I have something like the UK mushroom ketchup in my cabinet. Not same
> place of origin but it is supposedly close. It may be a little sweeter
> in taste (my version) so I am wondering at a proper balance to it since
> I do not like sweet meatloaf. It however makes a superb brush for
> chicken and is just sweet enough you get a sort of carmelizing action.

I use it the same way I use Worcestershire sauce, for flavour and instead
of salt.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

DON'T LET YER MEAT LOAF Colonel Edmund J. Burke[_13_] General Cooking 0 08-07-2016 02:53 PM
Meat loaf Ophelia[_11_] General Cooking 232 18-01-2015 07:54 PM
Meat Loaf Judy Haffner General Cooking 0 30-12-2012 06:55 PM
Tex-Mex Meat Loaf Duckie ® Recipes 0 29-07-2005 04:20 AM
meat loaf Howard and duncy General Cooking 4 19-06-2004 02:58 AM