Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Meat Loaf

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" wrote:
> >I have some ancestory from there too.

> Where?

At one time my brother did the ancestry search.
He discovered that at one time our ancestors owned Urguart Castle.
Supposedly after a war with Ireland? That would make us Scot-Irish?

That's just what I was told. I don't know any details.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> Please would posters here be so kind as to share their favourite meat
>> loaf recipes? I have tried a couple and didn't like them much.
>> Reading here I see that it is a favourite for many and I would love
>> to find something really good

> Here's a basic Don does. It's more of a swap on any standard meatloaf
> recipe. Instead of bread crumbs, bread, crackers or rice, try using
> 'stuffing' such as pepperidge farm herb or stovetop. Yes you can make
> your own batch too but this is one of those not very expensive time
> savers.
>
> Another trick, don't use too low fat of a meat or if all you have is
> 94% fat-free beef, mix 1/4 ground pork with it.
>
> Consider canned or jarred mushrooms over fresh as they will not dry out
> the loaf like fresh will. If you must use fresh, use King Oyster stem
> parts for optimal results.
>
> These tricks can be applied to any standard recipe you see.
>
> Here's a fairly standard approach.
>
> 2 lbs ground beef (or 1.75 beef, .25 pork)
> 1.5 cups stuffing mix
> 1 med onion, chopped fine (carmelize lightly first in some beef or pork
> fat if desired)
> 1/2 cup 'sauce' (I like May Ploy here, others use tomato stuff)
> 2 jumbo eggs or 3 'large'
> 1 TB worstershire sauce
>
> I usually top with either more Mae Ploy or Jufran Bannana sauce
>
> You can add other spices but that's a basic one.

What Mae Ploy product (or family of products) are you speaking of?

My initial thought, seeing that stuffing mix, was that I could use
ground poultry of some ilk and add some of the ingredients that I
use in my stuffing muffins. That sounds like something my
daughter would like.

I have been thinking about playing with TVP as filler in an LC
meatloaf. For that matter, now I am wondering about chia. That
might be pretty gross in such a context though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> I think if we were allowed to rummage around in each other's kitchens
> and pantry, we could pretty much guess what kinds of food the cook
> prepares most. My pantry is stocked for my usual stuff and will get
> me through the Americas without much difficulty. As soon as I venture
> into foods of the Middle East or Asia, I have to go shopping. Then I
> begin to have a collection of spices and bottles and dry goods that
> don't get used much or ever again.
> Janet US

My "pantry" holdings are somewhat the opposite of yours. I am
prepared for most Asian cuisines (although, of course, I'd have to
shop for non-staples); ditto general western cookery; fairly
prepared for Middle Eastern; and only somewhat prepared for
Central and South American cookery. Oh, and very prepared for LC
cookery. It would be really interesting to drop in on various
people to view their pantries.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > "Gary" wrote:
> > >I have some ancestory from there too.

> > Where?

> At one time my brother did the ancestry search.
> He discovered that at one time our ancestors owned Urguart Castle.
> Supposedly after a war with Ireland? That would make us Scot-Irish?
>
> That's just what I was told. I don't know any details.
>
> Gary

Ophelia. I just wrote my brother about this and just heard back from him.
Here is what he wrote:

Hi Gary,
Right - Urquhart castle on Loch Ness is an old Ross possession.
Tell your bonnie Scotch lass we are Scotch-Irish(-Dutch-Hungarian).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Gary wrote:

>> > Where?

>> At one time my brother did the ancestry search.
>> He discovered that at one time our ancestors owned Urguart Castle.
>> Supposedly after a war with Ireland? That would make us Scot-Irish?
>>
>> That's just what I was told. I don't know any details.
>>
>> Gary

> Ophelia. I just wrote my brother about this and just heard back from him.
> Here is what he wrote:

> Hi Gary,
> Right - Urquhart castle on Loch Ness is an old Ross possession.
> Tell your bonnie Scotch lass we are Scotch-Irish(-Dutch-Hungarian).

lol I know it well. I am actually a Yorkshire transplant but have been here
for over 40 years

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "Gary" wrote:
>> >I have some ancestory from there too.

>> Where?

> At one time my brother did the ancestry search.
> He discovered that at one time our ancestors owned Urguart Castle.
> Supposedly after a war with Ireland? That would make us Scot-Irish?
>
> That's just what I was told. I don't know any details.

Cool)
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 06:17:07 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Please would posters here be so kind as to share their favourite meat loaf
>> recipes? I have tried a couple and didn't like them much. Reading here I
>> see that it is a favourite for many and I would love to find something
>> really good

>Here's one more for you, Ophelia. I just ran across it yesterday in my
>recipe file. I had forgotten about this one but I trust my old review of
>it.

>Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
>>
>> I am curious to know what you think of it, i have gone through a number
>> of my books and have found no recipe suggesting using cabbage exactly
>> this way.

>Very good recipe! Put it this way, it came out of the oven at around
>1:00PM and there is only about 1/4 of it left today. My daughter and I
>had a meal, plus a few snacks later. The meal consisted of meatloaf,
>baked potatoes and steamed green peas (frozen).
>
>I played with your recipe a little but pretty much followed it. Here's
>exactly what I did:
>
>- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef

I don't think any recipe indicating less than 3 pounds of meat
qualifies as a meat loaf... 1 1/2 pounds is like a couple large
burgers, barely serves two. Not cooked yet, that's tomato sauce,
contains 5+ lbs of meat:
http://i49.tinypic.com/x0sp4o.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 09:56:53 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> It would be really interesting to drop in on various
> people to view their pantries.

Kind of like knowing what they could whip up at the last minute
without any significant shopping for the "details".

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 12:15:49 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> Whatever happened to Joseph??

The Elderly Relative died and he is living on a boat now. He has more
personal time now, so he is reconstructing the social life he put on
hold while he was doing eldercare.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 12:15:49 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>> Whatever happened to Joseph??

> The Elderly Relative died and he is living on a boat now. He has more
> personal time now, so he is reconstructing the social life he put on
> hold while he was doing eldercare.

Thanks, sf. If you are in touch, please give him my best wishes!
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 11:12:43 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 09:56:53 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> It would be really interesting to drop in on various
>> people to view their panties.

>Kind of like knowing what they could whip up at the last minute.

Huh?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 28, 2012 1:17:00 PM UTC-7, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 11:12:43 -0800, sf > wrote:
>

> >On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 09:56:53 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> >> It would be really interesting to drop in on various

> >> people to view their panties.

> >Kind of like knowing what they could whip up at the last minute.

> Huh?

Don't get too excited...she meant pantries not panties.
==
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

Hi and sorry for the delay!

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> > Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> > > Please would posters here be so kind as to share their favourite
> > > meat loaf recipes? I have tried a couple and didn't like them
> > > much. Reading here I see that it is a favourite for many and I
> > > would love to find something really good

> > Here's a basic Don does. It's more of a swap on any standard
> > meatloaf recipe. Instead of bread crumbs, bread, crackers or rice,
> > try using 'stuffing' such as pepperidge farm herb or stovetop.

> I am afraid this is unknown to me

I forgot where you live, sorry. You probably have another name for it
but are apt to have it under some other name. It's generally dried
crumbs of bread (wheat or corn most common) with a relatively high
spice load added. Rosemary, Sage, Oregano, garlic powder would be
common. You add boiling water or broth and butter to it (roughly 3
parts dry mix, 1 part liquid/butter combined) and use this to stuff a
turkey, chicken, or sometimes just serve as is for a side dish.

> Yes you can make
> > your own batch too but this is one of those not very expensive time
> > savers.

You *might* find it under a bread pudding but this is dryer than the
'bread pudding' of USA/Canada types and is definately not a 'dessert'
type of mix. When I was in Japan I couldn't always get it so I used to
mix up our own for fast uses. I can typo you a recipe for that if
needed.

> Oh I don't mind expensive and time consuming ... well, to a degree
> I just want to make something we like

> > Another trick, don't use too low fat of a meat or if all you have is
> > 94% fat-free beef, mix 1/4 ground pork with it.

> Noted!

Yup, that's the mistake most make when they end up with a dry crumbly
meatloaf. Trying to be too 'health concious' and though this does NOT
have to be high fat (cook it over a draining pan if you like), it needs
a levening of fat to work as it cooks.

> > Consider canned or jarred mushrooms over fresh as they will not dry
> > out the loaf like fresh will. If you must use fresh, use King
> > Oyster stem parts for optimal results.
> >
> > These tricks can be applied to any standard recipe you see.
> >
> > Here's a fairly standard approach.
> >
> > 2 lbs ground beef (or 1.75 beef, .25 pork)
> > 1.5 cups stuffing mix
> > 1 med onion, chopped fine (carmelize lightly first in some beef or
> > pork fat if desired)
> > 1/2 cup 'sauce' (I like May Ploy here, others use tomato stuff)
> > 2 jumbo eggs or 3 'large'
> > 1 TB worstershire sauce
> >
> > I usually top with either more Mae Ploy or Jufran Bannana sauce
> >
> > You can add other spices but that's a basic one.

> Many thanks for that! However I don't know what May Ploy or Jufran
> Bannana sauce' are, nor 'stuffing mix' If you had no 'stuffing mix'
> what would you use instead?

Mae Ploy is a popular brand of 'Thai hot/sweet chicken dipping sauce'.
You use it there to dip cooked chicken bits in but it has many more
uses. Don't worry, it's not at all 'Thai hot'. Toddlers can handle it
with ease. It will look a bit like a tomato based semi-clear thick
sauce with bits of mild peppers and such in there. Normally sold in 1
L bottles here, it is shelf stable after opening and lasts a very long
time. Makes a wonderful marinade for all sorts of things and very
adaptable to all sorts of cookery.

Bannana sauce (Jufran is a popular brand shipped like Mae Ploy is) is
one that also looks a heck of a lot like a tomato product but isn't.
Comes in mild, medium and hot. The hot is not that hot. The mild can
actually be used as a dessert additive. The medium and hot are more
appropriate to use with meats. Very good in a marinade and will
'carmelize' very well for that perfect look if used as a glaze.

If you have a sort of 'asian grocery' anyplace near you, they will
almost for sure have both but the brand names may vary.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

> > > Here's a basic Don does. It's more of a swap on any standard
> > > meatloaf recipe. Instead of bread crumbs, bread, crackers or
> > > rice, try using 'stuffing' such as pepperidge farm herb or
> > > stovetop.

> > I am afraid this is unknown to me
> >

> > Yes you can make
> > > your own batch too but this is one of those not very expensive
> > > time savers.

> > Oh I don't mind expensive and time consuming ... well, to a
> > degree I just want to make something we like
> >

> > > Another trick, don't use too low fat of a meat or if all you have
> > > is 94% fat-free beef, mix 1/4 ground pork with it.

> > Noted!
> >

> > > Consider canned or jarred mushrooms over fresh as they will not
> > > dry out the loaf like fresh will. If you must use fresh, use
> > > King Oyster stem parts for optimal results.
> > >
> > > These tricks can be applied to any standard recipe you see.
> > >
> > > Here's a fairly standard approach.
> > >
> > > 2 lbs ground beef (or 1.75 beef, .25 pork)
> > > 1.5 cups stuffing mix
> > > 1 med onion, chopped fine (carmelize lightly first in some beef
> > > or pork fat if desired)
> > > 1/2 cup 'sauce' (I like May Ploy here, others use tomato stuff)
> > > 2 jumbo eggs or 3 'large'
> > > 1 TB worstershire sauce
> > >
> > > I usually top with either more Mae Ploy or Jufran Bannana sauce
> > >
> > > You can add other spices but that's a basic one.

> > Many thanks for that! However I don't know what May Ploy or Jufran
> > Bannana sauce' are, nor 'stuffing mix' If you had no 'stuffing mix'
> > what would you use instead?

> Hmmm thinking about 'stuffing mix' we do have stuff like 'sage and
> onion' dried and mixed with dry breadcrumbs. Is that what you mean?
> Sorry about that. I suppose I was thinking you meant something
> specific

That may welll be if in the naming of such where you are!

I remember trading recipes with a swedish fellow once and we had to
devolve to sending links of pictures to figure out 'green bell pepper'
(capisum there is all the name he has for it while we here have a more
defined name for various types of them).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 12/26/2012 5:36 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> > > I am afraid this is unknown to me
> > >

> > > Yes you can make
> > >
> > > Many thanks for that! However I don't know what May Ploy or
> > > Jufran Bannana sauce' are, nor 'stuffing mix'
> > > If you had no 'stuffing mix' what would you use instead?

> > Hmmm thinking about 'stuffing mix' we do have stuff like 'sage and
> > onion' dried and mixed with dry breadcrumbs. Is that what you mean?
> > Sorry about that. I suppose I was thinking you meant something
> > specific
> >

> She spent too much time in Japan Yes, you could use that sage &
> onion dried breadcrumb mixture. Or anything you'd use to stuff a
> turkey
>
> Jill

LOL! True!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>
> > > Hmmm thinking about 'stuffing mix' we do have stuff like 'sage and
> > > onion' dried and mixed with dry breadcrumbs. Is that what you
> > > mean? Sorry about that. I suppose I was thinking you meant
> > > something specific
> > >

> > She spent too much time in Japan Yes, you could use that sage &
> > onion dried breadcrumb mixture. Or anything you'd use to stuff a
> > turkey

> Ahhhhh understood) Thanks I have a piece of rump beef in the
> freezer. I will mince/grind it ... what would you add? Should I
> mince some pork too?
>
> I have most veggies, I have mushroom ketchup (not thick like tomato
> ketchup) It is more like Worcester sauce, I do have Worcester sauce
> too. I have fresh onion, dried onions, oatmeal, homemade fresh whole
> meal breadcrumbs ... I have dried herbs ..
>
> What do you think? I shall try a couple of the recipes posted here,
> but for the moment, using what I have in ...?

Ohh! YEESS!!!

Mushroom ketchup (and yes, i know what you mean) would be lovely in it!

When you grind the rump, use about 1/2 the fat cap (more is fine but
you need about 1/2 of it there for the fat at least).

Rough recipe with what you have:

3 lbs ground rump roast with at least 1/2 the fat cap
1.5 cups bread crumbs
1/2 TB rosemary
1/2 TB sage
1 TS thyme
1/4 C beef bullion to soften the crumbs (add dry spices first then
liquid and mix, adding a little more bullion until you get a sort of
thick but wet texture)

Mix this in a bowl adding 2 whole eggs and about 1/4 cup mushroom sauce
plus 1/2 cup minced raw onion. Now add your other veggies up to 1 cup
(minced fine). If it seems to not want to stick together, add another
egg. Glaze top with more mushroom 'ketchup' sauce.

Wanna be an adventure? Dump the traditional rosemary/sage/thyme and go
with chinese 5 spice at 1 TB total. I like that version but then as
has been said, 'I lived in japan too long' (grin).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 11:18:56 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 12:15:49 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>
>> Whatever happened to Joseph??

>The Elderly Relative died and he is living on a boat now. He has more
>personal time now, so he is reconstructing the social life he put on
>hold while he was doing eldercare.

thanks for the info,
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
,
>> > try using 'stuffing' such as pepperidge farm herb or stovetop.

>> I am afraid this is unknown to me

> I forgot where you live, sorry.

Scotland

You probably have another name for it
> but are apt to have it under some other name. It's generally dried
> crumbs of bread (wheat or corn most common) with a relatively high
> spice load added. Rosemary, Sage, Oregano, garlic powder would be
> common. You add boiling water or broth and butter to it (roughly 3
> parts dry mix, 1 part liquid/butter combined) and use this to stuff a
> turkey, chicken, or sometimes just serve as is for a side dish.

Yes, I can find stuff like that) Thanks, I have saved those comments!

> Yup, that's the mistake most make when they end up with a dry crumbly
> meatloaf. Trying to be too 'health concious' and though this does NOT
> have to be high fat (cook it over a draining pan if you like), it needs
> a levening of fat to work as it cooks.

Noted

>> > Consider canned or jarred mushrooms over fresh as they will not dry
>> > out the loaf like fresh will. If you must use fresh, use King
>> > Oyster stem parts for optimal results.

When I use mushrooms in any kind of 'mix' I usually cook fresh ones gently
in butter so they are not dry.

> Mae Ploy is a popular brand of 'Thai hot/sweet chicken dipping sauce'.
> You use it there to dip cooked chicken bits in but it has many more
> uses. Don't worry, it's not at all 'Thai hot'. Toddlers can handle it
> with ease. It will look a bit like a tomato based semi-clear thick
> sauce with bits of mild peppers and such in there. Normally sold in 1
> L bottles here, it is shelf stable after opening and lasts a very long
> time. Makes a wonderful marinade for all sorts of things and very
> adaptable to all sorts of cookery.

The only thing I can think of that we use, is a hoisin marinade. Not sure
how much that works <g>
We are not so adventurous with eastern food

> If you have a sort of 'asian grocery' anyplace near you, they will
> almost for sure have both but the brand names may vary.

Thank you very much for your comments, they are very much appreciated
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

> > > Ahhhhh understood) Thanks I have a piece of rump beef in the
> > > freezer. I will mince/grind it ... what would you add? Should I
> > > mince some pork too?
> > >
> > > I have most veggies, I have mushroom ketchup (not thick like
> > > tomato ketchup) It is more like Worcester sauce, I do have
> > > Worcester sauce too. I have fresh onion, dried onions, oatmeal,
> > > homemade fresh whole meal breadcrumbs ... I have dried herbs ..
> > >
> > > What do you think? I shall try a couple of the recipes posted
> > > here, but for the moment, using what I have in ...?

> > I would definitely mince some pork, too. Some people don't like
> > oatmeal in their meatloaf. For a first attempt I'd use the
> > homemade breadcrumbs and a little of the mushroom ketchup.
> > Definitely chopped onion, although if the meat mixture is fatty
> > enough enough dried onions would also work. (Of course the
> > mushroom ketchup and egg will add to the moisture content.) The
> > herbs would be entirely a matter of what you like.

> Excellent! Thanks you) Now. The cooking bit. In a loaf tin? For
> how long and at what temp, please? I realise it will depend on the
> size of the thing, but if I put in into a two pound loaf tin ...

Can be in a loaf tin but can also be on a longer low pan with a drip
down below underlining as well. The loaf pan will give you the classic
shape while the other gives you options to make lots of smaller loaves
(meatloaf freezes well for later samwiches).

350F is normal and time depends on how big the loaves are. I'd check
at about 45 mins if you split 3 lbs meat and the other stuff to 2
loaves.

Here's a classic we do and like mush of American (and Canadian) cookery
is a mix of the people who came over here. It's a bit German, a bit
Poland and a local treatment. Depression era but tastes good so folks
who actually cook still make them. I'll update to modern products
though.

Potato/meat cakes, 2 versions

1 part cooked meatloaf, sliced 1/2 inch and kept mostly whole
2 parts cooked mashed potatos (can be dried flakes if time is short)

Version 1- baked
Line a muffin pan with 'cupcake papers' then press mashed potato in the
bottom and partway up the sides leaving a 'dip'. Add meatloaf chunk
then top with more potato. Brush with butter. May add parmesean to
the top a bit. Bake muffin pan of 6 at 350F for 25 mins and check.
Tops should be golden but not burned. Serve with a thick beef gravy at
the side.

Version 2- Panfried
Using a rolling pin (or a can) and 2 sheets of wax paper, roll the
potatoes out to about 1/2 inch thick. If the potatoes are a little to
dry for this, add a raw egg and hand mix until the consistency works to
a soft doughlike mixture. If you overdo the egg, use flour to adjust.

Lay meatloaf bits far enough apart that you can wrap the dough over the
top with a little overlap. Cut them out and seal the dough loosely
about the cooked meat.

In a frying pan at medium heat, add oil of choice (a mix of olive and
butter is recommended) and slide patties in. Cook until bottom is
medium golden then flip and cook the other side. Serve with either
thick beef gravy or pancake syrup or molassis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 12:10:25 -0500, George M. Middius
> > wrote:
>
>> Steve Pope wrote:
>>
>>> It's quite easy to whip together a superior product from
>>> commercial ketchup (pick a good one, no HFCS),

>> Are you claiming you can distinguish between HFCS and sugar
>> in K E T C H U P? Seriously?

> I can. Get a bottle of Heinz "Simply ketchup" and compare. It has a
> much nicer flavor.

Oh good. I agree. In general, I find foods that contain HFCS
have a duller flavor than those made with sugar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message

> Mushroom ketchup (and yes, i know what you mean) would be lovely in it!
>
> When you grind the rump, use about 1/2 the fat cap (more is fine but
> you need about 1/2 of it there for the fat at least).
>
> Rough recipe with what you have:
>
> 3 lbs ground rump roast with at least 1/2 the fat cap
> 1.5 cups bread crumbs
> 1/2 TB rosemary
> 1/2 TB sage
> 1 TS thyme
> 1/4 C beef bullion to soften the crumbs (add dry spices first then
> liquid and mix, adding a little more bullion until you get a sort of
> thick but wet texture)
>
> Mix this in a bowl adding 2 whole eggs and about 1/4 cup mushroom sauce
> plus 1/2 cup minced raw onion. Now add your other veggies up to 1 cup
> (minced fine). If it seems to not want to stick together, add another
> egg. Glaze top with more mushroom 'ketchup' sauce.

Ace) Thanks!!!

> Wanna be an adventure? Dump the traditional rosemary/sage/thyme and go
> with chinese 5 spice at 1 TB total. I like that version but then as
> has been said, 'I lived in japan too long' (grin).

Yers and I think i will leave that one with you (bigger grin)

Best

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> IMO, the caveat to more veggies is that in the finished product, they
> must be indistinguishable. . . hard little lumps destroy a meatloaf.
> Janet US

I used to roast veggies, whomp them up, and then add them to the
meatloaf mixture.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Well it might be an oldie but it is new to me *Thanks I have saved it..

I said it was an oldie because it's been on the Quaker Oats box along
with the oatmeal cookie recipe for at least the past 40 years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 10:36:00 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

> favourite meat >>>>> loaf recipes? I have tried a couple and didn't
> like them much. >>>>> Reading here I see that it is a favourite for
> many and I would love >>>>> to find something really good

> meatloaf >>>> recipe. Instead of bread crumbs, bread, crackers or
> rice, try using >>>> 'stuffing' such as pepperidge farm herb or
> stovetop.

> time >>>> savers.

> degree I >>> just want to make something we like

> have is >>>> 94% fat-free beef, mix 1/4 ground pork with it.

> dry >>>> out

> Oyster stem >>>> parts for optimal results.

> or >>>> pork

> Jufran >>> Bannana sauce' are, nor 'stuffing mix'
> > >
> > > Hmmm thinking about 'stuffing mix' we do have stuff like 'sage
> > > and onion' dried and mixed with dry breadcrumbs. Is that what
> > > you mean? Sorry about that. I suppose I was thinking you meant
> > > something specific
> > >
> > > --

> > Do you never use Google Images to figure these things out?

> Sure, but if I do only that, what it the point of a cooking group?
> Do you not prefer to hear the experiences of others? Let us all go
> to google and ignore the group?

Exactly. Anyone of us can 'loop up a recipe' but we use hre for the
personal touch on what we want.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > I would definitely mince some pork, too. Some people don't like
>> > oatmeal in their meatloaf. For a first attempt I'd use the
>> > homemade breadcrumbs and a little of the mushroom ketchup.
>> > Definitely chopped onion, although if the meat mixture is fatty
>> > enough enough dried onions would also work. (Of course the
>> > mushroom ketchup and egg will add to the moisture content.) The
>> > herbs would be entirely a matter of what you like.

>> Excellent! Thanks you) Now. The cooking bit. In a loaf tin? For
>> how long and at what temp, please? I realise it will depend on the
>> size of the thing, but if I put in into a two pound loaf tin ...

> Can be in a loaf tin but can also be on a longer low pan with a drip
> down below underlining as well. The loaf pan will give you the classic
> shape while the other gives you options to make lots of smaller loaves
> (meatloaf freezes well for later samwiches).
>
> 350F is normal and time depends on how big the loaves are. I'd check
> at about 45 mins if you split 3 lbs meat and the other stuff to 2
> loaves.
>
> Here's a classic we do and like mush of American (and Canadian) cookery
> is a mix of the people who came over here. It's a bit German, a bit
> Poland and a local treatment. Depression era but tastes good so folks
> who actually cook still make them. I'll update to modern products
> though.
>
> Potato/meat cakes, 2 versions
>
> 1 part cooked meatloaf, sliced 1/2 inch and kept mostly whole
> 2 parts cooked mashed potatos (can be dried flakes if time is short)
>
> Version 1- baked
> Line a muffin pan with 'cupcake papers' then press mashed potato in the
> bottom and partway up the sides leaving a 'dip'. Add meatloaf chunk
> then top with more potato. Brush with butter. May add parmesean to
> the top a bit. Bake muffin pan of 6 at 350F for 25 mins and check.
> Tops should be golden but not burned. Serve with a thick beef gravy at
> the side.
>
> Version 2- Panfried
> Using a rolling pin (or a can) and 2 sheets of wax paper, roll the
> potatoes out to about 1/2 inch thick. If the potatoes are a little to
> dry for this, add a raw egg and hand mix until the consistency works to
> a soft doughlike mixture. If you overdo the egg, use flour to adjust.
>
> Lay meatloaf bits far enough apart that you can wrap the dough over the
> top with a little overlap. Cut them out and seal the dough loosely
> about the cooked meat.
>
> In a frying pan at medium heat, add oil of choice (a mix of olive and
> butter is recommended) and slide patties in. Cook until bottom is
> medium golden then flip and cook the other side. Serve with either
> thick beef gravy or pancake syrup or molassis

All this is excellent)) All saved! Many thanks)

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael OConnor" > wrote in message

>> Well it might be an oldie but it is new to me Thanks I have saved it.
>>

> I said it was an oldie because it's been on the Quaker Oats box along
> with the oatmeal cookie recipe for at least the past 40 years.

I suppose it makes a difference where you buy your box of Quaker Oats.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Janet Bostwick wrote:
> > I think if we were allowed to rummage around in each other's
> > kitchens and pantry, we could pretty much guess what kinds of food
> > the cook prepares most. My pantry is stocked for my usual stuff
> > and will get me through the Americas without much difficulty. As
> > soon as I venture into foods of the Middle East or Asia, I have to
> > go shopping. Then I begin to have a collection of spices and
> > bottles and dry goods that don't get used much or ever again.
> > Janet US

> My "pantry" holdings are somewhat the opposite of yours. I am
> prepared for most Asian cuisines (although, of course, I'd have to
> shop for non-staples); ditto general western cookery; fairly prepared
> for Middle Eastern; and only somewhat prepared for Central and South
> American cookery. Oh, and very prepared for LC cookery. It would be
> really interesting to drop in on various people to view their
> pantries.

LOL, mine is a total mix as you can imagine. You'd probably guess a
mix of southern USA and 'asian' though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

> Celery adds
> a savory element which is hard to find elsewhere; it's one of those
> ingredients that you don't normally notice, but when it's missing you
> notice that *something* is missing.

I'll zero in on this one particular sentence. The same is true for
chicken and dumplings.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 19:51:34 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

> In article om>,
> Bob Terwilliger > wrote:
>
> > Celery adds
> > a savory element which is hard to find elsewhere; it's one of those
> > ingredients that you don't normally notice, but when it's missing you
> > notice that *something* is missing.

> I'll zero in on this one particular sentence. The same is true for
> chicken and dumplings.

I don't find that to be true with celery, but I discovered a long time
ago that bay can be the missing component that matters in certain
recipes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 28, 2012 11:09:54 PM UTC-7, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 19:51:34 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell
>
> > wrote:
>

> > In article om>,

> > Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

> > > Celery adds

> > > a savory element which is hard to find elsewhere; it's one of those

> > > ingredients that you don't normally notice, but when it's missing you

> > > notice that *something* is missing.

> > I'll zero in on this one particular sentence. The same is true for

> > chicken and dumplings.

> I don't find that to be true with celery, but I discovered a long time
>
> ago that bay can be the missing component that matters in certain
>
> recipes.
> --
>
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

And yet I find that bay leaf goes a long way in my estimation and rarely
use it. I guess we weren't exposed to it in our mother's cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 23:51:29 -0800 (PST), Roy >
wrote:

> And yet I find that bay leaf goes a long way in my estimation and rarely
> use it. I guess we weren't exposed to it in our mother's cooking.

I had absolutely zero exposure to bay leaf at my house growing up and
you're right, I barely use it now - it's more of an after thought for
me if I do. There's one recipe I just couldn't get right until my
sister-in-law realized she'd forgotten to tell me to use a bay leaf.
Mine tasted just like hers after I did that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy replied to clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz:

>>> Kind of like knowing what they could whip up at the last minute.

>> Huh?

> Don't get too excited...she meant pantries not panties.
> ==

She *wrote* "pantries". Pussy changed it to "panties" to get the biggest
thrill he's gotten since his last NAMBLA party.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/29/2012 2:59 AM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 23:51:29 -0800 (PST), Roy >
> wrote:
>
>> And yet I find that bay leaf goes a long way in my estimation and rarely
>> use it. I guess we weren't exposed to it in our mother's cooking.

> I had absolutely zero exposure to bay leaf at my house growing up and
> you're right, I barely use it now - it's more of an after thought for
> me if I do. There's one recipe I just couldn't get right until my
> sister-in-law realized she'd forgotten to tell me to use a bay leaf.
> Mine tasted just like hers after I did that.

I always add bay leaves when making stock. I also add one or two when
simmering chicken for chicken & dumplings. (Just fish them out while
waiting for the chicken to cool prior to deboning.) My mom didn't like
to cook but she always seemed to have bay leaves so I guess she used them.

Celery, OTOH, is one of those things I don't usually buy *unless* I'll
be making a pot of stock. Or meat loaf Unless I have a specific use
in mind it just sits in the crisper drawer in the fridge... until it's
no longer crisp.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/28/2012 4:50 PM, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> Hmmm thinking about 'stuffing mix' we do have stuff like 'sage and
>>> onion' dried and mixed with dry breadcrumbs. Is that what you mean?
>>> Sorry about that. I suppose I was thinking you meant something
>>> specific
>>>

>> She spent too much time in Japan Yes, you could use that sage &
>> onion dried breadcrumb mixture. Or anything you'd use to stuff a
>> turkey
>>
>> Jill

> LOL! True!

And you know I meant that Japan remark all in fun It's easy to
forget someone who has lived in Scotland all their life may not have
heard of Mae Ploy. Even if they have, it might not be easy to find.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/26/2012 12:14 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 10:36:00 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>>> I am afraid this is unknown to me
>>>

>>> Yes you can make
>>>
>>> Oh I don't mind expensive and time consuming ... well, to a degree I
>>> just want to make something we like

>>> Noted!

>>> Many thanks for that! However I don't know what May Ploy or Jufran
>>> Bannana sauce' are, nor 'stuffing mix'
>>> If you had no 'stuffing mix' what would you use instead?

>> Hmmm thinking about 'stuffing mix' we do have stuff like 'sage and onion'
>> dried and mixed with dry breadcrumbs. Is that what you mean? Sorry about
>> that. I suppose I was thinking you meant something specific
>>
>> --

> Do you never use Google Images to figure these things out?

But google is a PITA, especially recently. Many times I've typed in an
exact phrase yet it comes up with a bunch of stupid, unrelated stuff.
Their "advanced search" option doesn't really work well at filtering. YMMV.

Also, just because she can find a picture of it doesn't mean it's
something she can easily find in Scotland. Sweet capsicum (bell
peppers), probably. The "stuffing mix" she figured out without the
dubious benefit of Google. Finding a photo or even a definition of Mae
Ploy is all well and good, but it doesn't mean she can just hop down to
her local shop and find it on a shelf.

Does your DD still work for Google?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/28/2012 4:50 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> She spent too much time in Japan Yes, you could use that sage &
>>> onion dried breadcrumb mixture. Or anything you'd use to stuff a
>>> turkey
>>>
>>> Jill

>> LOL! True!
>>

> And you know I meant that Japan remark all in fun It's easy to forget
> someone who has lived in Scotland all their life may not have heard of Mae
> Ploy. Even if they have, it might not be easy to find.

Well I haven't lived in Scotland all my life and I am sure I could find
that sauce if i wanted, but I simply don't frequent the kind of shops that
might sell it I was raised in Yorkshire. Since then I have lived in
various
places in England, in Malta, several countries in Europe mainland and India
among other places

O, still a Yorkshire lassie <g>

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/26/2012 12:14 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 10:36:00 -0000, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>> Hmmm thinking about 'stuffing mix' we do have stuff like 'sage and
>>> onion'
>>> dried and mixed with dry breadcrumbs. Is that what you mean? Sorry
>>> about
>>> that. I suppose I was thinking you meant something specific
>>>
>>> --

>> Do you never use Google Images to figure these things out?
>>

> But google is a PITA, especially recently. Many times I've typed in an
> exact phrase yet it comes up with a bunch of stupid, unrelated stuff.
> Their "advanced search" option doesn't really work well at filtering.
> YMMV.
>
> Also, just because she can find a picture of it doesn't mean it's
> something she can easily find in Scotland. Sweet capsicum (bell peppers),
> probably. The "stuffing mix" she figured out without the dubious benefit
> of Google. Finding a photo or even a definition of Mae Ploy is all well
> and good, but it doesn't mean she can just hop down to her local shop and
> find it on a shelf.
>
> Does your DD still work for Google?

All true. I suppose I could find it among many of the Asian shops in
Glasgow, but we aren't really into that cuisine.
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/29/2012 9:25 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> LOL! True!
>>>

>> And you know I meant that Japan remark all in fun It's easy to forget
>> someone who has lived in Scotland all their life may not have heard of
>> Mae
>> Ploy. Even if they have, it might not be easy to find.

> Well I haven't lived in Scotland all my life and I am sure I could find
> that sauce if i wanted, but I simply don't frequent the kind of shops that
> might sell it

Understood! I really didn't mean to imply you've never lived anywhere
else because I don't know, do I? No offense intended!

I was raised in Yorkshire. Since then I have lived in
> various
> places in England, in Malta, several countries in Europe mainland and India
> among other places
>
> O, still a Yorkshire lassie <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill wrote:

> But google is a PITA, especially recently. Many times I've typed in an
> exact phrase yet it comes up with a bunch of stupid, unrelated stuff.
> Their "advanced search" option doesn't really work well at filtering. YMMV.

I wonder if you've got the Google results redirect virus.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/28/2012 10:13 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> Gary wrote:

>>> At one time my brother did the ancestry search.
>>> He discovered that at one time our ancestors owned Urguart Castle.
>>> Supposedly after a war with Ireland? That would make us Scot-Irish?
>>>
>>> That's just what I was told. I don't know any details.
>>>
>>> Gary

>> Ophelia. I just wrote my brother about this and just heard back from
>> him.
>> Here is what he wrote:

>> Hi Gary,
>> Right - Urquhart castle on Loch Ness is an old Ross possession.
>> Tell your bonnie Scotch lass we are Scotch-Irish(-Dutch-Hungarian).

> lol I know it well. I am actually a Yorkshire transplant but have been
> here
> for over 40 years

Someone else recently asked me (may have been a different thread) if
there are any Hamilton's in my Scottish ancestry. I've never heard of
one. But I've got some notes indicating my Scottish grandfather's
mother was married *five* times. Who knows if there are any Hamilton's
in the extended family.

Jill

DON'T LET YER MEAT LOAF Colonel Edmund J. Burke[_13_] General Cooking 0 08-07-2016 02:53 PM
Meat loaf Ophelia[_11_] General Cooking 232 18-01-2015 07:54 PM
Meat Loaf Judy Haffner General Cooking 0 30-12-2012 06:55 PM
Tex-Mex Meat Loaf Duckie ® Recipes 0 29-07-2005 04:20 AM
meat loaf Howard and duncy General Cooking 4 19-06-2004 02:58 AM