Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Meat Loaf

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 21:52:15 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 19:16:38 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:

> >> You have me 'almost' right ... no chili <g>
> >> --

> > Traditional American style chili sauce doesn't contain a single (hot)
> > chili! GIYF. It is tomatoes, onions, (bell) peppers, vinegar, sugar
> > and various seasonings simmered together and reduced until thick.

> But, but, but chilis are peppers ... they may not seem hot to you!
> --

Ophelia, do you not know what a BELL pepper is? Google is your
friend.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsicum

> OH! I know about sweet peppers and we like them, but I have always thought
> of chili as hot! Maybe not to those who eat 'hot' peppers but for such as
> us, they can still burn our mouth out
>
> --

I didn't say it contained hot chilies, I said it contained bell
pepper. You're so determined to not like it, you won't look at the
ingredients.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 13:43:30 -0900, (Judy Haffner)
wrote:

> Ophelia wrote:
>
> >Please would posters here be so kind as
> > to share their favourite meat loaf
> > recipes? * I have tried a couple and
> > didn't like them much. Reading here I
> > see that it is a favourite for many and I
> > would love to find something really
> > good

> Most times when I make a meatloaf, I don't follow a recipe, but just add
> whatever sounds good at the time, and usually comes out very tasty, but
> awhile back I did have GREAT results with adding this, or that, and
> hubby raved about it, so decided to write it down, and that's the way
> I've been making it since then. I don't have exact measurements, but
> it's hard to have a have a failure with a meatloaf.
>
> This is "my creation":
>
> 2 lbs. lean ground beef
> Not quite one "sleeve" Ritz crackers, crushed
> 1 egg
> Diced onion - as much as you like
> Fresh mushroom (about a handful, chopped up - can saute' till soft)
> 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
> Salsa (I used some leftover in a jar, maybe about 1/2 cup)
>
> Mix together well and put into a 9x5 inch loaf pan. Bake at 350º about
> 1 hour and 30 minutes. 15 minutes before it's done, put topping on and
> continue to bake another 15 minutes.
>
> For the topping:
> In small bowl combine; 1/4 cup catsup, 2 tbsp. brown sugar, 1 tsp. dry
> mustard and 1 tsp. lemon juice.

You're another vote for mushrooms. They are definitely going into the
next meatloaf I make.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia > wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message

>> (Steve Pope) wrote:

>>> It's quite easy to whip together a superior product from
>>> commercial ketchup (pick a good one, no HFCS), Wochestershire,
>>> prepared horseradish (again pick a good one, no bisulfites),
>>> and a little lemon.

>> Oh, Pulleeze... HFCS? Bryan is all we can handle at the moment.
>> It's meatloaf, which is cheap and fast, not pretentious and fussy. In
>> any case, Ophelia doesn't like anything with any amount of heat, so
>> she won't buy horseradish and probably wouldn't like cocktail sauce
>> anyway. Chili sauce, Marinara sauce, tomato ketchup, or plain old
>> tomato sauce is more her speed.

>You have me 'almost' right ... no chili <g>

And, you're outside of HFCS territory in the first place.

Tabasco peppers (in some form) go into many cocktail sauces, but it's
an easy one to leave out.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/26/2012 3:23 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "S Viemeister" > wrote in message
>> On 12/26/2012 12:10 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> "S Viemeister" > wrote

>>> That does sound much easier! Temp and time?
>>>

>> 180C for about 40-50 minutes - it really depends on the size - smaller
>> cups will take less time, wider, deeper ones will take more.
>>
>> I generally make a large batch, then freeze and bag them for later use.

> Ace! Thanks I might make single ones to begin until I find a recipe
> that we like, but after that ...

Sounds like an excellent approach to trying something new

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>Ophelia, do you not know what a BELL pepper is?

There's no reason she should know; the term "bell pepper" is not
used in those anglophone countries intelligent enough to have
remained part of the Commonwealth.

Well, perhaps in Canada.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 13:06:14 -0800, Bob Terwilliger
> wrote:

>Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>> I use ketchup in meatloaf because the recipe I follow uses it, and I'm
>>> extremely happy with the recipe. Your blanket condemnation seems
>>> unreasonably limiting to me, and I reject it.
>>>

>> Will you share your recipe? My meatloaf is the plain, middle US
>> variety. I recently tried Alton Brown's recipe and thought that I
>> found it too seasoned (maybe salty) for my taste. However, it made
>> the best darn meatloaf sandwiches. I've heard of putting catsup
>> (ketchup) on meatloaf while baking, but never heard of it as an
>> ingredient. I'd like to try it and see.
>> thanks

>This is from _The New Basics_
>(http://www.amazon.com/New-Basics-Coo.../dp/B005M4AB9Y)
>
>Market Street Meat Loaf
>
>3 tablespoons unsalted butter
>3/4 cup finely chopped onion
>3/4 cup finely chopped scallions, white and 3 inches green
>1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
>1/4 cup finely chopped celery
>1/4 cup minced red bell pepper
>1/4 cup minced green bell pepper
>2 teaspoons minced garlic
>3 eggs
>Salt, to taste
>1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
>1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
>1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
>1 teaspoon ground cumin
>1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
>1/2 cup catsup
>1/2 cup half-and-half
>2 pounds lean ground beef chuck
>12 ounces sausage meat (not fennel-flavored Italian sausage)
>3/4 cup fine fresh bread crumbs, toasted
>
>Melt the butter in a heavy skillet and add all the vegetables. Cook,
>stirring often, until the moisture has evaporated from the vegetables,
>about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool, then refrigerate, covered, until
>chilled, at least one hour.
>
>Preheat the oven to 375°F.
>
>Put the eggs in a mixing bowl and beat well. Add the salt, black pepper,
>white pepper, cayenne pepper, cumin, and nutmeg, and beat until
>well-combined. Add the catsup and half-and-half; blend thoroughly.
>
>Add the chuck, sausage meat, and bread crumbs to the egg mixture. Then
>add the chilled vegetables and mix with your hands, kneading for 5 minutes.
>
>With damp hands, form the mixture into an oval 17 x 4 1/2 x 1 1/2 inches
>-- resembling a long loaf of bread. [HA! Not like any bread *I* ever baked!]
>
>Place the meat loaf into a baking dish and place the baking dish inside
>a larger pan. Place the nested pans into the oven. Pour boiling water
>into the larger pan until it comes halfway up the sides of the baking dish.
>
>Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove the baking dish from the water bath
>and allow the meat loaf to rest for 20 minutes before slicing and serving.
>
>[NOTE: I don't bother with the water bath. Sometimes I make this in a
>loaf pan, other times I use a sheet pan.]
>
>Bob

Thank you, Bob. The recipe looks good and I plan to try it after the
holidays.
thanks again
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 26, 2012 4:40:44 PM UTC-6, Ophelia wrote:

> OH! I know about sweet peppers and we like them, but I have always thought
>
> of chili as hot! Maybe not to those who eat 'hot' peppers but for such as
>
> us, they can still burn our mouth out

They're something you get a tolerance to. That also means that to get the same thrill, one has to increase the dose.

I noticed something funny again today. We got Chinese food at a take-out place, and the soy sauce they have on the few tables for the few people who eat-in is Kikkoman, which is Japanese. I brought the food home where I applied Japanese tamari instead (San-J lower sodium).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/26/2012 5:12 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>> Meatloaf is great but you can't just make a meatloaf by dumping stuff
>> into the hamburger. It's important that you have clear in your mind
>> what you want it to turn out like. I like my meatloaf to be tender and
>> a little juicy so I'll add breadcrumbs and liquids to the mix. By
>> varying these two components, you'll come up with a dish that has
>> whatever texture you want. Then you can worry about all the other
>> stuff. I like to add a can of corn to mine but that's just whacky to
>> most folks. I always add MSG but some folks would find this unacceptable.

> Noted with thanks

(sorry if this shows up twice - Usenet-news is dropping a lot of my
posts lately)

There's a variation on the breadcrumbs where you just soak bread in milk
and then mix that in with your meat, veggies, egg and seasoning. I
noted Bob T's recipe with the cooked veggies, but I've never done it
that way. I might try it sometime. I've posted before that I like to
add fresh raw chopped spinach in mine, too. Shredded carrots, too,
along with the onions and whatever else you like. I like to use
meatloaf for the opportunity to use more veggies in a meal than I
usually do. Might as well make it healthful!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 12:10:25 -0500, George M. Middius
> wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:
>
>> It's quite easy to whip together a superior product from
>> commercial ketchup (pick a good one, no HFCS),

>Are you claiming you can distinguish between HFCS and sugar
>in K E T C H U P? Seriously?

I can. Get a bottle of Heinz "Simply ketchup" and compare. It has a
much nicer flavor.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

>I noted Bob T's recipe with the cooked
> veggies, but I've never done it that way.
> I might try it sometime. I've posted
> before that I like to add fresh raw
> chopped spinach in mine, too. Shredded
> carrots, too, along with the onions and
> whatever else you like. I like to use
> meatloaf for the opportunity to use more
> veggies in a meal than I usually do.
> Might as well make it healthful!

I guess I don't see any sense in overloading a meatloaf with a bunch of
different veggies, since I always have some type of veggies (usually
steamed baby carrots) and baked potatoes. The only veggies I have used
in one is onions, green pepper and sometimes tomatoes, which is actually
a fruit, though I always have considered it more of a vegetable. I have
also used a little grated carrot, but not often. That is why they call
it a MEATloaf instead of a veggie loaf, IMO.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>You're another vote for mushrooms.
> They are definitely going into the next
> meatloaf I make.

I don't regularly add them to meatloaf, but AFAIC mushrooms enhance any
dish a person adds them to....fresh, or cooked.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> sf > wrote:
>
>>Ophelia, do you not know what a BELL pepper is?

> There's no reason she should know; the term "bell pepper" is not
> used in those anglophone countries intelligent enough to have
> remained part of the Commonwealth.
>
> Well, perhaps in Canada.

Well I think that bell pepper is one name that is much better than the name
we call it in c'wth countries. The darned thing looks like a bell. And
capsicum looks like .......? A cap for a cat maybe?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> Ophelia wrote:
>
>>Please would posters here be so kind as
>> to share their favourite meat loaf
>> recipes? I have tried a couple and
>> didn't like them much. Reading here I
>> see that it is a favourite for many and I
>> would love to find something really
>> good

> Most times when I make a meatloaf, I don't follow a recipe, but just add
> whatever sounds good at the time, and usually comes out very tasty, but
> awhile back I did have GREAT results with adding this, or that, and
> hubby raved about it, so decided to write it down, and that's the way
> I've been making it since then. I don't have exact measurements, but
> it's hard to have a have a failure with a meatloaf.
>
> This is "my creation":
>
> 2 lbs. lean ground beef
> Not quite one "sleeve" Ritz crackers, crushed
> 1 egg
> Diced onion - as much as you like
> Fresh mushroom (about a handful, chopped up - can saute' till soft)
> 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
> Salsa (I used some leftover in a jar, maybe about 1/2 cup)
>
> Mix together well and put into a 9x5 inch loaf pan. Bake at 350º about
> 1 hour and 30 minutes. 15 minutes before it's done, put topping on and
> continue to bake another 15 minutes.
>
> For the topping:
> In small bowl combine; 1/4 cup catsup, 2 tbsp. brown sugar, 1 tsp. dry
> mustard and 1 tsp. lemon juice.

Thanks, Judy That sounds great and I have saved it
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 21:52:15 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 19:16:38 -0000, "Ophelia"

>> > Traditional American style chili sauce doesn't contain a single (hot)
>> > chili! GIYF. It is tomatoes, onions, (bell) peppers, vinegar, sugar
>> > and various seasonings simmered together and reduced until thick.

>> But, but, but chilis are peppers ... they may not seem hot to you!
>> --

> Ophelia, do you not know what a BELL pepper is? Google is your
> friend.

I do indeed know what a bell pepper is, but only because I read here. We
don't call them bell peppers.
sf contrary to your expectations, I do know how to use google, and if I wish
to, I will
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/26/2012 3:23 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> 180C for about 40-50 minutes - it really depends on the size - smaller
>>> cups will take less time, wider, deeper ones will take more.
>>>
>>> I generally make a large batch, then freeze and bag them for later use.

>> Ace! Thanks I might make single ones to begin until I find a recipe
>> that we like, but after that ...
>>

> Sounds like an excellent approach to trying something new

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On 12/26/2012 5:12 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> Meatloaf is great but you can't just make a meatloaf by dumping stuff
>>> into the hamburger. It's important that you have clear in your mind
>>> what you want it to turn out like. I like my meatloaf to be tender and
>>> a little juicy so I'll add breadcrumbs and liquids to the mix. By
>>> varying these two components, you'll come up with a dish that has
>>> whatever texture you want. Then you can worry about all the other
>>> stuff. I like to add a can of corn to mine but that's just whacky to
>>> most folks. I always add MSG but some folks would find this
>>> unacceptable.

>> Noted with thanks
>>

> (sorry if this shows up twice - Usenet-news is dropping a lot of my posts
> lately)
>
> There's a variation on the breadcrumbs where you just soak bread in milk
> and then mix that in with your meat, veggies, egg and seasoning. I noted
> Bob T's recipe with the cooked veggies, but I've never done it that way. I
> might try it sometime. I've posted before that I like to add fresh raw
> chopped spinach in mine, too. Shredded carrots, too, along with the
> onions and whatever else you like. I like to use meatloaf for the
> opportunity to use more veggies in a meal than I usually do. Might as
> well make it healthful!

Good thinking) Thanks

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> Cheryl wrote:
>
>>I noted Bob T's recipe with the cooked
>> veggies, but I've never done it that way.
>> I might try it sometime. I've posted
>> before that I like to add fresh raw
>> chopped spinach in mine, too. Shredded
>> carrots, too, along with the onions and
>> whatever else you like. I like to use
>> meatloaf for the opportunity to use more
>> veggies in a meal than I usually do.
>> Might as well make it healthful!

> I guess I don't see any sense in overloading a meatloaf with a bunch of
> different veggies, since I always have some type of veggies (usually
> steamed baby carrots) and baked potatoes. The only veggies I have used
> in one is onions, green pepper and sometimes tomatoes, which is actually
> a fruit, though I always have considered it more of a vegetable. I have
> also used a little grated carrot, but not often. That is why they call
> it a MEATloaf instead of a veggie loaf, IMO.

Ahhh well. To each his/her own. We all have different tastes eh?

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> sf wrote:
>
>>You're another vote for mushrooms.
>> They are definitely going into the next
>> meatloaf I make.

> I don't regularly add them to meatloaf, but AFAIC mushrooms enhance any
> dish a person adds them to....fresh, or cooked.

We like mushrooms too and a favourite here, is a cream and mushroom sauce,
served over pork.
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>George M. Middius wrote:
>>Steve Pope wrote:
>>
>>> It's quite easy to whip together a superior product from
>>> commercial ketchup (pick a good one, no HFCS),

>>Are you claiming you can distinguish between HFCS and sugar
>>in K E T C H U P? Seriously?

>I can. Get a bottle of Heinz "Simply ketchup" and compare. It has a
>much nicer flavor.

You can probably taste the difference if ketchup is placed ON meat
loaf but I seriously doubt anyone can taste the difference when
ketchup is blended into the meat mixture. If you're going to add
ketchup to the meat mixture you may as well add some tomato sauce,
sugar, and vinegar. I never add ketchup to a meat loaf mixture but I
often add an 8 oz can of tomato sauce. I do like ketchup ON cold meat
loaf.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 26, 2012 3:10:19 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 19:16:38 -0000, "Ophelia"
>
> > wrote:
>

> > "sf" > wrote in message

> > > Oh, Pulleeze... HFCS? Bryan is all we can handle at the moment.

> > > It's meatloaf, which is cheap and fast, not pretentious and fussy. In

> > > any case, Ophelia doesn't like anything with any amount of heat, so

> > > she won't buy horseradish and probably wouldn't like cocktail sauce

> > > anyway. Chili sauce, Marinara sauce, tomato ketchup, or plain old

> > > tomato sauce is more her speed.

> > You have me 'almost' right ... no chili <g>

> > --

> Traditional American style chili sauce doesn't contain a single (hot)
>
> chili! GIYF. It is tomatoes, onions, (bell) peppers, vinegar, sugar
>
> and various seasonings simmered together and reduced until thick.

It's like someone attempted to make ketchup and failed miserably.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> Are you claiming you can distinguish between HFCS and sugar
>> in K E T C H U P? Seriously?

> I can. Get a bottle of Heinz "Simply ketchup" and compare. It has a
> much nicer flavor.

I can distinguish between them too, and I prefer the HFCS. Just a matter
of taste -- and of course you need less HFCS for an equivalent amount of
sweetness.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

>> Traditional American style chili sauce doesn't contain a single (hot)
>> chili! GIYF. It is tomatoes, onions, (bell) peppers, vinegar, sugar
>> and various seasonings simmered together and reduced until thick.
>>

> It's like someone attempted to make ketchup and failed miserably.

That's like saying that an omelet is someone's miserable failure at
attempting to make scrambled eggs. Chili sauce and ketchup are two
different products and have different uses. An easily-observed
difference is that chili sauce is almost always used as an ingredient
rather than a condiment.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

>>> Will you share your recipe? My meatloaf is the plain, middle US
>>> variety. I recently tried Alton Brown's recipe and thought that I
>>> found it too seasoned (maybe salty) for my taste. However, it made
>>> the best darn meatloaf sandwiches. I've heard of putting catsup
>>> (ketchup) on meatloaf while baking, but never heard of it as an
>>> ingredient. I'd like to try it and see.
>>> thanks

>> This is from _The New Basics_
>> (http://www.amazon.com/New-Basics-Coo.../dp/B005M4AB9Y)
>>
>> Market Street Meat Loaf
>>
>> 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
>> 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
>> 3/4 cup finely chopped scallions, white and 3 inches green
>> 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
>> 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
>> 1/4 cup minced red bell pepper
>> 1/4 cup minced green bell pepper
>> 2 teaspoons minced garlic
>> 3 eggs
>> Salt, to taste
>> 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
>> 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
>> 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
>> 1 teaspoon ground cumin
>> 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
>> 1/2 cup catsup
>> 1/2 cup half-and-half
>> 2 pounds lean ground beef chuck
>> 12 ounces sausage meat (not fennel-flavored Italian sausage)
>> 3/4 cup fine fresh bread crumbs, toasted
>>
>> Melt the butter in a heavy skillet and add all the vegetables. Cook,
>> stirring often, until the moisture has evaporated from the vegetables,
>> about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool, then refrigerate, covered, until
>> chilled, at least one hour.
>>
>> Preheat the oven to 375°F.
>>
>> Put the eggs in a mixing bowl and beat well. Add the salt, black pepper,
>> white pepper, cayenne pepper, cumin, and nutmeg, and beat until
>> well-combined. Add the catsup and half-and-half; blend thoroughly.
>>
>> Add the chuck, sausage meat, and bread crumbs to the egg mixture. Then
>> add the chilled vegetables and mix with your hands, kneading for 5 minutes.
>>
>> With damp hands, form the mixture into an oval 17 x 4 1/2 x 1 1/2 inches
>> -- resembling a long loaf of bread. [HA! Not like any bread *I* ever baked!]
>>
>> Place the meat loaf into a baking dish and place the baking dish inside
>> a larger pan. Place the nested pans into the oven. Pour boiling water
>> into the larger pan until it comes halfway up the sides of the baking dish.
>>
>> Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove the baking dish from the water bath
>> and allow the meat loaf to rest for 20 minutes before slicing and serving.
>>
>> [NOTE: I don't bother with the water bath. Sometimes I make this in a
>> loaf pan, other times I use a sheet pan.]
>>
>> Bob

> Thank you, Bob. The recipe looks good and I plan to try it after the
> holidays.
> thanks again

You're welcome, but I forgot to put in a refinement I make to the
recipe: Many meat loaf recipes call for ground veal in order to get a
nicer texture because of veal's gelatin content. Cook's Illustrated came
up with the idea of simply blooming unflavored gelatin and adding to the
meat mixture. I add a rounded tablespoon of gelatin to the
half-and-half, stir it, and allow to sit for at least five minutes to
bloom. The gelatin holds on to some of the water and fat, making the
meat loaf moister.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

>>> Meatloaf is great but you can't just make a meatloaf by dumping stuff
>>> into the hamburger. It's important that you have clear in your mind
>>> what you want it to turn out like. I like my meatloaf to be tender and
>>> a little juicy so I'll add breadcrumbs and liquids to the mix. By
>>> varying these two components, you'll come up with a dish that has
>>> whatever texture you want. Then you can worry about all the other
>>> stuff. I like to add a can of corn to mine but that's just whacky to
>>> most folks. I always add MSG but some folks would find this
>>> unacceptable.

>> Noted with thanks
>>

> (sorry if this shows up twice - Usenet-news is dropping a lot of my
> posts lately)
>
> There's a variation on the breadcrumbs where you just soak bread in milk
> and then mix that in with your meat, veggies, egg and seasoning. I noted
> Bob T's recipe with the cooked veggies, but I've never done it that way.
> I might try it sometime. I've posted before that I like to add fresh raw
> chopped spinach in mine, too. Shredded carrots, too, along with the
> onions and whatever else you like. I like to use meatloaf for the
> opportunity to use more veggies in a meal than I usually do. Might as
> well make it healthful!

I think it makes sense to pre-cook the vegetables because otherwise
they'll shrink inside the meat loaf and you'll get more of a spongy
texture. Of course every coin has two sides, and a spongy meat loaf is
better at soaking up gravy!

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Judy wrote:

> I guess I don't see any sense in overloading a meatloaf with a bunch of
> different veggies, since I always have some type of veggies (usually
> steamed baby carrots) and baked potatoes. The only veggies I have used
> in one is onions, green pepper and sometimes tomatoes, which is actually
> a fruit, though I always have considered it more of a vegetable. I have
> also used a little grated carrot, but not often. That is why they call
> it a MEATloaf instead of a veggie loaf, IMO.

1. You might consider adding mushrooms or cooked eggplant; both of them
are fairly high in glutamate, which punches up the "meaty" flavors.
(Tomatoes are also high in glutamate, which is why, even though they're
fruits, they go better with savory dishes than as desserts.) You might
also like to add a little soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, or Maggi
sauce for the same reason.

2. If you have kids who are averse to vegetables, serving a
vegetable-loaded meat loaf is a good way to trick them into eating more
healthily.

3. If you're going to add vegetables to meat loaf, each vegetable you
add should serve a purpose. For example, onions add both a savory and a
sweet element. Carrots add sweetness and serve as a binder. Celery adds
a savory element which is hard to find elsewhere; it's one of those
ingredients that you don't normally notice, but when it's missing you
notice that *something* is missing.

4. I think there's a very large spectrum of acceptability when it comes
to the proportion of vegetables to meat. I don't mind when a meat loaf
contains a fair proportion of vegetables; I think it's a worse mistake
when it contains too high a proportion of meat, because then it gets dry
and tough.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 10:58:39 -0800, Bob Terwilliger
> wrote:

>Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>>> Are you claiming you can distinguish between HFCS and sugar
>>> in K E T C H U P? Seriously?

>> I can. Get a bottle of Heinz "Simply ketchup" and compare. It has a
>> much nicer flavor.

>I can distinguish between them too, and I prefer the HFCS. Just a matter
>of taste -- and of course you need less HFCS for an equivalent amount of
>sweetness.
>
>Bob

I don't know how you can compare them. You are assuming the both
products are made with the same recipe in the same way.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 11:07:56 -0800, Bob Terwilliger
> [...]

>>> and allow the meat loaf to rest for 20 minutes before slicing and serving.
>>>
>>> [NOTE: I don't bother with the water bath. Sometimes I make this in a
>>> loaf pan, other times I use a sheet pan.]
>>>
>>> Bob

>> Thank you, Bob. The recipe looks good and I plan to try it after the
>> holidays.
>> thanks again

>You're welcome, but I forgot to put in a refinement I make to the
>recipe: Many meat loaf recipes call for ground veal in order to get a
>nicer texture because of veal's gelatin content. Cook's Illustrated came
>up with the idea of simply blooming unflavored gelatin and adding to the
>meat mixture. I add a rounded tablespoon of gelatin to the
>half-and-half, stir it, and allow to sit for at least five minutes to
>bloom. The gelatin holds on to some of the water and fat, making the

Interesting. I just can't read Cook's Illustrated, it seems dull. I
guess I need food candy photos to keep me happy.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 11:22:10 -0800, Bob Terwilliger
> wrote:

>Judy wrote:
>
>> I guess I don't see any sense in overloading a meatloaf with a bunch of
>> different veggies, since I always have some type of veggies (usually
>> steamed baby carrots) and baked potatoes. The only veggies I have used
>> in one is onions, green pepper and sometimes tomatoes, which is actually
>> a fruit, though I always have considered it more of a vegetable. I have
>> also used a little grated carrot, but not often. That is why they call
>> it a MEATloaf instead of a veggie loaf, IMO.

>1. You might consider adding mushrooms or cooked eggplant; both of them
>are fairly high in glutamate, which punches up the "meaty" flavors.
>(Tomatoes are also high in glutamate, which is why, even though they're
>fruits, they go better with savory dishes than as desserts.) You might
>also like to add a little soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, or Maggi
>sauce for the same reason.
>
>2. If you have kids who are averse to vegetables, serving a
>vegetable-loaded meat loaf is a good way to trick them into eating more
>healthily.
>
>3. If you're going to add vegetables to meat loaf, each vegetable you
>add should serve a purpose. For example, onions add both a savory and a
>sweet element. Carrots add sweetness and serve as a binder. Celery adds
>a savory element which is hard to find elsewhere; it's one of those
>ingredients that you don't normally notice, but when it's missing you
>notice that *something* is missing.
>
>4. I think there's a very large spectrum of acceptability when it comes
>to the proportion of vegetables to meat. I don't mind when a meat loaf
>contains a fair proportion of vegetables; I think it's a worse mistake
>when it contains too high a proportion of meat, because then it gets dry
>and tough.
>
>Bob

IMO, the caveat to more veggies is that in the finished product, they
must be indistinguishable. . . hard little lumps destroy a meatloaf.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 11:03:20 -0800, Bob Terwilliger
> wrote:

> An easily-observed
> difference is that chili sauce is almost always used as an ingredient
> rather than a condiment.

Really? It's a condiment for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 08:43:41 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
>
> > As soon as I venture
> > into foods of the Middle East or Asia, I have to go shopping. Then
> > I begin to have a collection of spices and bottles and dry goods
> > that don't get used much or ever again.

> Yep. My refrigerator is bursting with herbs and spices, some used
> more than others... but I'll be darned if I'm going to buy and store
> all the components for some curry or middle eastern spice mix when I
> can buy it as fresh as if I made it myself... which is one of the
> benefits of city life.

Same here except you'd be hard put to make other than Asian here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> Please would posters here be so kind as to share their favourite meat loaf
> recipes? I have tried a couple and didn't like them much. Reading here I
> see that it is a favourite for many and I would love to find something
> really good

Here's one more for you, Ophelia. I just ran across it yesterday in my
recipe file. I had forgotten about this one but I trust my old review of
it.

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> I am curious to know what you think of it, i have gone through a number
> of my books and have found no recipe suggesting using cabbage exactly
> this way.

Very good recipe! Put it this way, it came out of the oven at around
1:00PM and there is only about 1/4 of it left today. My daughter and I
had a meal, plus a few snacks later. The meal consisted of meatloaf,
baked potatoes and steamed green peas (frozen).

I played with your recipe a little but pretty much followed it. Here's
exactly what I did:

- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 medium green pepper (chopped)
- 2 carrots (shredded then minced more with a knife)
- 1/4 head of cabbage (also shredded then minced more with knife)
- 2 eggs
- 2 TBS worchestireshire sauce (sorry, I couldn't resist that)
- 1 cup "store brand" dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (probably should have used beef broth)

Mixed all well and formed into a loaf and set in a 9x13 baking dish.
Sprinkled some *worthless* paprika on top
Coated top and sides with ketchup.

Baked in 375 oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes. I checked it after 45
minutes with an oven thermometer but it required another 30 minutes to
finish.

Very tasty though....I *will* make this again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Please would posters here be so kind as to share their favourite meat
>> loaf
>> recipes? I have tried a couple and didn't like them much. Reading here
>> see that it is a favourite for many and I would love to find something
>> really good

> Here's one more for you, Ophelia. I just ran across it yesterday in my
> recipe file. I had forgotten about this one but I trust my old review of
> it.

Thanks very much, Gary!! I have saved that. Whatever happened to Joseph??

> Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
>>
>> I am curious to know what you think of it, i have gone through a number
>> of my books and have found no recipe suggesting using cabbage exactly
>> this way.

> Very good recipe! Put it this way, it came out of the oven at around
> 1:00PM and there is only about 1/4 of it left today. My daughter and I
> had a meal, plus a few snacks later. The meal consisted of meatloaf,
> baked potatoes and steamed green peas (frozen).
>
> I played with your recipe a little but pretty much followed it. Here's
> exactly what I did:
>
> - 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
> - 1 medium onion (chopped)
> - 1 medium green pepper (chopped)
> - 2 carrots (shredded then minced more with a knife)
> - 1/4 head of cabbage (also shredded then minced more with knife)
> - 2 eggs
> - 2 TBS worchestireshire sauce (sorry, I couldn't resist that)
> - 1 cup "store brand" dry bread crumbs
> - 1/2 cup chicken broth (probably should have used beef broth)
>
> Mixed all well and formed into a loaf and set in a 9x13 baking dish.
> Sprinkled some *worthless* paprika on top
> Coated top and sides with ketchup.
>
> Baked in 375 oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes. I checked it after 45
> minutes with an oven thermometer but it required another 30 minutes to
> finish.
>
> Very tasty though....I *will* make this again.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
> > Ophelia wrote:
> >>
> >> Please would posters here be so kind as to share their favourite meat
> >> loaf
> >> recipes? I have tried a couple and didn't like them much. Reading here
> >> see that it is a favourite for many and I would love to find something
> >> really good

> > Here's one more for you, Ophelia. I just ran across it yesterday in my
> > recipe file. I had forgotten about this one but I trust my old review of
> > it.

> Thanks very much, Gary!! I have saved that. Whatever happened to Joseph??

He's been gone for a good while now. I hope he's ok.
Also, I still have his ORIGINAL meatloaf recipe saved too. I can send it if
you want to read exactly what he wrote. I changed it a bit.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:

>> > Here's one more for you, Ophelia. I just ran across it yesterday in my
>> > recipe file. I had forgotten about this one but I trust my old review
>> > of
>> > it.

>> Thanks very much, Gary!! I have saved that. Whatever happened to
>> Joseph??

> He's been gone for a good while now. I hope he's ok.
> Also, I still have his ORIGINAL meatloaf recipe saved too. I can send it
> if
> you want to read exactly what he wrote. I changed it a bit.

That would be nice Thank you
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" wrote:
> > He's been gone for a good while now. I hope he's ok.
> > Also, I still have his ORIGINAL meatloaf recipe saved too. I can send it
> > if
> > you want to read exactly what he wrote. I changed it a bit.

> That would be nice Thank you

Here you go. I'm quoting the entire post not just his recipe.
Hope you are having a nice day in Scotland. (is that right?) I have some
ancestory from there too.

On 2/27/04, Joseph Littleshoes wrote to alt.cooking.chat:

I have used all sorts of different recipes for meat loaf till i stumbled
across the cook book "Jewish cookery." The following is the recipe as
published, after it i will write the changes i have made to it.
Following the recipe as written will produce a very good meat loaf, i
like to think i have slightly improved on it and with the cabbage added,
i think i have made a major improvement.

Baked meat loaf
-------------------

1 & 1/2 pound chopped beef
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs or boiled rice
1 large grated onion
1 large grated carrot
1 clove of garlic, grated
2 eggs
1/2 cup water or stock
3 tablespoons hot melted shortening
paprika

Combine all ingredients except shortening and paprika. Form into a
loaf. Melt shortening in loaf pan and place meat loaf in, pressing into
shape of pan. Dust with paprika. Bake in a preheated oven at 375
degrees F. for 45 minutes or till evenly browned on top.

I use 2 pounds of meat, 1 pond of ground turkey, and 1 pound of a local
beef and pork, un spiced sausage. And i can not stress highly enough
the "mixing" of the ingredients, thoroughly mix, i take a good 3-5
minutes to get my hands in there and make sure every thing is thoroughly
mixed.

Instead of bread crumbs or rice i use oat bran or wheat bran, not only
is it good for one, but i like the taste, i add it to ground meat when
making pasta or anything that calls for ground meat.

The first few times i made this recipe i "grated" the veggies but as
stated i just dislike prep work so it occurred to me to "puree" them in
the food processor and i really like the ease and texture this produces
(and its much quicker) in the finished product. Plus i add a green
and/or red sweet pepper and as the point of this post 1/4 of a whole
head of green cabbage, finely minced in the food processor. I really
don't know why i had not thought of it before, cause one of my favourite
dishes is "stuffed kohlrabi" where the kohlrabi leaves are chopped and
added to a meat mix and stuffed into the kohlrabi root and baked.

I leave out the eggs.

The amount of water or stock you add to the raw meat loaf may seem a
mistake, the first time i made it i thought "ooops that can be right" as
it makes a very loose "soupy" mix, but it bakes up just fine, and i
think this is part of why it comes out so finely textured. the amount of
liquid allows for a very fine incorporation of all the elements.

I don't bother to "grease" my pan, i mix it all up in a big steel bowl,
and then form it onto a rounded loaf in the bottom of the bowl and stick
it in the oven, the meat has enough fat in it to not need extra, even if
using turkey.

I leave out the paprika, and sometimes slather ketchup over the top.
Though with the inclusion of the cabbage, which i chopped very fine in
the food processor ( about 1/4 of a whole head of cabbage) i doubt i
will do so ever again.

Hope you enjoy it as much as i do and am looking forward to any comment
you may have on the recipe or finished product.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "Gary" wrote:
>> > He's been gone for a good while now. I hope he's ok.
>> > Also, I still have his ORIGINAL meatloaf recipe saved too. I can send
>> > it
>> > if
>> > you want to read exactly what he wrote. I changed it a bit.

>> That would be nice Thank you

> Here you go. I'm quoting the entire post not just his recipe.

Thank you

> Hope you are having a nice day in Scotland. (is that right?)

Thank you Rainy and cold today. It snowed a bit yesterday but just
melted.

>I have some ancestory from there too.

Where?

> On 2/27/04, Joseph

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

DON'T LET YER MEAT LOAF Colonel Edmund J. Burke[_13_] General Cooking 0 08-07-2016 02:53 PM
Meat loaf Ophelia[_11_] General Cooking 232 18-01-2015 07:54 PM
Meat Loaf Judy Haffner General Cooking 0 30-12-2012 06:55 PM
Tex-Mex Meat Loaf Duckie ® Recipes 0 29-07-2005 04:20 AM
meat loaf Howard and duncy General Cooking 4 19-06-2004 02:58 AM