Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cucumbers?

I had an urge for a simple cucumber salad yesterday. I've not made it in
several decades. A few tips to refresh my memory please?

As I recall, peel cucumber, slice thinly. Add a bit of vinegar. What kind
is best? A little oil? Salt? Anything else?

TIA

--
"Experience is something you don't get until
just after you need it." Steven Wright

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 6/10/2012 9:12 AM, KenK wrote:
> I had an urge for a simple cucumber salad yesterday. I've not made it in
> several decades. A few tips to refresh my memory please?
>
> As I recall, peel cucumber, slice thinly. Add a bit of vinegar. What kind
> is best? A little oil? Salt? Anything else?
>
> TIA

All of the above Use apple cider vinegar and maybe add some slice
sweet onions.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote:

> I had an urge for a simple cucumber salad yesterday. I've not made it in
> several decades. A few tips to refresh my memory please?
>
> As I recall, peel cucumber, slice thinly. Add a bit of vinegar. What kind
> is best? A little oil? Salt? Anything else?

All of the above.

Actually, in your case, just make the dressing of your choice. No advice
from others needed.

Whenever I eat sliced cucumbers plain, I prefer the crappy mix of ketchup
and mayo. It tastes very good to me.

I like to add them to a multi ingredient salad too and as I said, the
dressing is a personal choice there.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 10, 10:12*am, KenK > wrote:
> I had an urge for a simple cucumber salad yesterday. I've not made it in
> several decades. A few tips to refresh my memory please?
>
> As I recall, peel cucumber, slice thinly. Add a bit of vinegar. What kind
> is best? A little oil? Salt? Anything else?
>
> TIA
>
> --
> "Experience is something you don't get until
> just after you need it." Steven Wright

Two methods
1. Salt somewhat, and let the water come out.
Drain. Add dill, sour cream and whatever else strikes your fancy

2. Add salt and pepper and throw the whole thing out as good for
nothing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10 Jun 2012 14:12:27 GMT, KenK > wrote:

>I had an urge for a simple cucumber salad yesterday. I've not made it in
>several decades. A few tips to refresh my memory please?
>
>As I recall, peel cucumber, slice thinly. Add a bit of vinegar. What kind
>is best? A little oil? Salt? Anything else?

I like to slice [peeled or unpeeled depending on cucumber]- salt- rest
in a colander- season.

Soy sauce, wasabi, ginger, sesame seeds, oil- any or all of the above.

I like a wine vinegar, but a sweet rice vinegar works for me, too. And
sometimes I'll even go with a splash of white or cider.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10-Jun-2012, KenK > wrote:

> I had an urge for a simple cucumber salad yesterday. I've not made it in
> several decades. A few tips to refresh my memory please?
>
> As I recall, peel cucumber, slice thinly. Add a bit of vinegar. What kind
> is best? A little oil? Salt? Anything else?
>
> TIA

I don't peel the cucumbers, my preference; sliced about 1/8 inch thick,
spread in single layer, salt lightly and let sit for 30 minutes or so to
draw out some of the moisture; then, drain. Add, along with sliced onion,
to a mixture of 1 part vinegar (I prefer cider vinegar) to 1.5-2 parts water
(i usually go with 1.5 parts water). If you only have white vinegar, that
will work but you might want to add a teaspoon or two of sugar to mellow out
the harshness of white vinegar.

--
Change cujo to juno
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/10/2012 10:12 AM, KenK wrote:
> I had an urge for a simple cucumber salad yesterday. I've not made it in
> several decades. A few tips to refresh my memory please?
>
> As I recall, peel cucumber, slice thinly. Add a bit of vinegar. What kind
> is best? A little oil? Salt? Anything else?
>
> TIA

Usually white vinegar, I have never seen oil used in a cucumber salad,
then as you like sliced onion, sugar, salt, pepper, dill. Then marinate
for at least a few hours.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/06/2012 12:12 PM, George wrote:

> Usually white vinegar, I have never seen oil used in a cucumber salad,
> then as you like sliced onion, sugar, salt, pepper, dill. Then marinate
> for at least a few hours.

When I was a kid a common dish at the dinner table in the simmer was
fresh cucumber, sliced and in a bowl of vinegar with salt and pepper.

There are variations of Tzitziki <sp?> with slice, diced, shopped or
shredded cucumber. If grated, you can let it sit in a sieve for a while
to drain the water that leaks out of it. It also helps to salt it the
sliced or cubed stuff to suck out excess water. You can add finely
minced or crushed garlic, mint, cumin..... It is hard to go wrong.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10 Jun 2012 14:12:27 GMT, KenK > wrote:

>I had an urge for a simple cucumber salad yesterday. I've not made it in
>several decades. A few tips to refresh my memory please?
>
>As I recall, peel cucumber, slice thinly. Add a bit of vinegar. What kind
>is best? A little oil? Salt? Anything else?

I'd use plain white vinegar, the flavor of cucumber is very mild so
will be lost with the more flavorful vinegars. A little salt, and I
like white pepper, and a bit of dill weed. Maybe a wee bit of fresh
lemon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 10, 9:12*am, George > wrote:
> On 6/10/2012 10:12 AM, KenK wrote:> I had an urge for a simple cucumber salad yesterday. I've not made it in
> > several decades. A few tips to refresh my memory please?

> > As I recall, peel cucumber, slice thinly. Add a bit of vinegar. What kind
> > is best? A little oil? Salt? Anything else?

> > TIA

> Usually white vinegar, I have never seen oil used in a cucumber salad,
> then as you like sliced onion, sugar, salt, pepper, dill. *Then marinate
> for at least a few hours.

I like to ad some tomatoes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 12:05:38 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
> wrote:

>On Jun 10, 9:12*am, George > wrote:
>> On 6/10/2012 10:12 AM, KenK wrote:> I had an urge for a simple cucumber salad yesterday. I've not made it in
>> > several decades. A few tips to refresh my memory please?

>> > As I recall, peel cucumber, slice thinly. Add a bit of vinegar. What kind
>> > is best? A little oil? Salt? Anything else?

>> > TIA

>> Usually white vinegar, I have never seen oil used in a cucumber salad,
>> then as you like sliced onion, sugar, salt, pepper, dill. *Then marinate
>> for at least a few hours.

>I like to ad some tomatoes.

One can add whatever they like to cucumber salad, certainly oil... my
favorite is to add cream style herring... and I like lots of cucumbers
in cold borscht with sour cream.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On 10 Jun 2012 14:12:27 GMT, KenK > wrote:
>
>> I had an urge for a simple cucumber salad yesterday. I've not made it in
>> several decades. A few tips to refresh my memory please?
>>
>> As I recall, peel cucumber, slice thinly. Add a bit of vinegar. What kind
>> is best? A little oil? Salt? Anything else?

> I'd use plain white vinegar, the flavor of cucumber is very mild so
> will be lost with the more flavorful vinegars. A little salt, and I
> like white pepper, and a bit of dill weed. Maybe a wee bit of fresh
> lemon.

Thinking of cucumbers, I started making my version. Cut cucumbers and
onions. Put in bell jar, I first add white vinegar, about 10% , then water
to cover contents. Dill, pickling spices, shake. It gets better 2nd 3rd
days. Did another with carrots, celery, red bell pepper, onion. I don't
need any salt or sweeteners.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/10/2012 10:12 AM, KenK wrote:
> I had an urge for a simple cucumber salad yesterday. I've not made it in
> several decades. A few tips to refresh my memory please?
>
> As I recall, peel cucumber, slice thinly. Add a bit of vinegar. What kind
> is best? A little oil? Salt? Anything else?

Different from most here, I don't like to leach out the water from
cucumbers and like to just slice them and pour over some dressing along
with onion slices. My favorite dressing with cucumbers and onion is a
peppery ranch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote:

> I had an urge for a simple cucumber salad yesterday. I've not made it in
> several decades. A few tips to refresh my memory please?

Here's mine:

4 cucumbers, sliced thin
1 small onion, sliced very thin
1 cup white vinegar
½ cup water
2 Tb sugar
1 tsp dried dill, or to taste
½ tsp salt

IMO, oil doesn't work in a dressing this sweet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 17:14:32 -0400, George M. Middius
> wrote:

>KenK wrote:
>
>> I had an urge for a simple cucumber salad yesterday. I've not made it in
>> several decades. A few tips to refresh my memory please?

>Here's mine:
>
>4 cucumbers, sliced thin
>1 small onion, sliced very thin
>1 cup white vinegar
>½ cup water
>2 Tb sugar
>1 tsp dried dill, or to taste
>½ tsp salt
>

>IMO, oil doesn't work in a dressing this sweet.

What sweet... with all that vinegar it's inedible. I'd use half that
vinegar (probably less) and probably no water because cukes will exude
plenty of water on their own. And you forgot the pepper, I prefer
white pepper. Btw, cukes from the stupidmarket won't work well (too
seedy), it's best to use fresh picked young pickling cukes (Kirbys), I
usually leave the skins on but score them with a fork. Once my crop
starts coming in I make cucumber salad practically every day... no
reason one can't use some oil... all sorts of dressings work well... I
like an oriental dressing.

BIG CUCUMBERS VS SMALL CUCUMBERS Colonel Edmund J. Burke[_13_] General Cooking 2 11-05-2016 04:29 PM
Cucumbers . . . . ?? Sky General Cooking 39 13-08-2012 01:44 PM
Cucumbers - can anything be done with dried cucumbers? Jim[_25_] Preserving 15 08-06-2012 07:48 PM
Cucumbers z z General Cooking 16 30-05-2012 02:13 PM
I like cucumbers, I really do Nancy Young[_5_] General Cooking 69 14-07-2011 06:16 PM