Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

Default Cucumbers

Such plebian fare, we don't talk about them often. How do you serve
them? Any unusual recipes? Any baked recipes involving cucumbers? They
are fruit-like so there must be dessert recipes out there involving the
lowly cucumber?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

z z wrote:

> Such plebian fare, we don't talk about them often. How do you serve
> them? Any unusual recipes? Any baked recipes involving cucumbers? They
> are fruit-like so there must be dessert recipes out there involving the
> lowly cucumber?

My only 2 cucumber 'recipes' a
1) nice addition to a salad
2) sometimes I slice them and dip in a combo of ketchup/mayo for a snack

And then there are pickles but I've never made my own.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2012 10:16 AM, Gary wrote:
> z z wrote:
>>
>> Such plebian fare, we don't talk about them often. How do you serve
>> them? Any unusual recipes? Any baked recipes involving cucumbers? They
>> are fruit-like so there must be dessert recipes out there involving the
>> lowly cucumber?

> My only 2 cucumber 'recipes' a
> 1) nice addition to a salad
> 2) sometimes I slice them and dip in a combo of ketchup/mayo for a snack
>
> And then there are pickles but I've never made my own.
>
> Gary

Aside from their major use as a salad component, thin slices with
chopped dill are good with fish, particularly salmon, and grated
cucumber is a common ingredient in Indian Raitas or the Greek yoghurt
dip Tzatziki.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 27, 10:08*am, (z z) wrote:
> Such plebian fare, we don't talk about them often. How do you serve
> them? Any unusual recipes? Any baked recipes involving cucumbers? They
> are fruit-like so there must be dessert recipes out there involving the
> lowly cucumber?

i just posted cuke salad with sour cream recipe; somehow i changed
subject line.
i guess i finally made a mistake.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:

> On May 27, 10:08 am, (z z) wrote:
> > Such plebian fare, we don't talk about them often. How do you serve
> > them? Any unusual recipes? Any baked recipes involving cucumbers? They
> > are fruit-like so there must be dessert recipes out there involving the
> > lowly cucumber?

> i just posted cuke salad with sour cream recipe; somehow i changed
> subject line.
> i guess i finally made a mistake.

Since you are a moose in love, it's understandable.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

For example, I love lemon or lime curd, lemon meringue pie, etc. Surely
pureed cucumber would also work-a more delicate flavor.

Rhubarb cream pie-think about raw rhubarb. Surely cucumber would work in
such a pie.

You can dehydrate cucumbers as little or as much as needed. Cucumber
juice has applications.

Lastly, a french apple tart with a giant spiral of thin apple slices
baked to a syrupy crusty sticky perfection-shaved cucumber slices-the
dark green edges would certainly add to the presentation?

Found this recipe for candied cukes which sounds fun:

1 cucumber

2 cups sugar (splenda/stevia might work)

2 cups water

1/4 cup finely chopped mint (extract might work.)

Thinly slice the cucumber.* 1/4" slices worked the best.* 1/8"
slices and many of them broke when lifted off of the baking sheet.

Crinkle cut blade on mandoline to cut them, but you could certainly cut
them by hand (and not obsess about making them all equal thickness). *

Fill a big wide skillet pan with sugar and water.*

Try to use a pan with a large diameter (don't worry about it being tall)
that can fit many cucumber slices without them overlapping.* Don't
worry if they won't all fit-do in two batches.

Heat the sugar and water on medium-high and mix periodically until the
sugar completely dissolves.*

Turn heat down to medium-low and toss in the mint and as many cucumber
slices as you can fit without them overlapping.

Cook the cucumbers for 20 minutes.

Line a baking sheet pan with parchment paper.

Pick the cucumbers out of the syrup and place them in a single layer on
the prepared baking sheet.

Bake sweetened cucumber slices at 180 degree Fahrenheit for 2 hours.
Carefully remove to prevent breakage and enjoy.

Reuse the syrup for the second batch of slices.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2012 9:08 AM, z z wrote:
> Such plebian fare, we don't talk about them often. How do you serve
> them? Any unusual recipes? Any baked recipes involving cucumbers? They
> are fruit-like so there must be dessert recipes out there involving the
> lowly cucumber?

We love this Japanese-style salad along with grilled meat.

Cucumber Sunomo

2 large cucumbers -- peeled
1/3 cup rice vinegar
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root

Cut cucumbers in half lengthwise and scoop out any large seeds. Slice
crosswise into very thin slices.

In a small bowl combine vinegar, sugar, salt and ginger. Mix well.

Place cucumbers inside of the bowl, stir so that cucumbers are coated
with the mixture. Refrigerate the bowl of cucumbers for at least 1 hour
before serving.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 May 2012 09:08:32 -0500, z z wrote:

> Such plebian fare, we don't talk about them often. How do you serve
> them? Any unusual recipes? Any baked recipes involving cucumbers? They
> are fruit-like so there must be dessert recipes out there involving the
> lowly cucumber?

Cucumber Kimchee

3 cucumbers; peeled
1-tablespoon salt
1-tablespoon red pepper powder
1-tablespoon garlic; minced
2 green onions; sliced

Seed the cucumbers and cut them into 1" pieces. Sprinkle with salt and
let sit for 3 hours in a colander.

Rinse and pat dry.

Add the red pepper powder, garlic and green onions. Mix.

Chill for 24 hours.

--

-Jeff B.

"Freedom Through Vigilance"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 27, 9:07*am, (z z) wrote:
> For example, I love lemon or lime curd, lemon meringue pie, etc. Surely
> pureed cucumber would also work-a more delicate flavor.
>
> Rhubarb cream pie-think about raw rhubarb. Surely cucumber would work in
> such a pie.
>
> You can dehydrate cucumbers as little or as much as needed. Cucumber
> juice has applications.
>
> Lastly, a french apple tart with a giant spiral of thin apple slices
> baked to a syrupy crusty sticky perfection-shaved cucumber slices-the
> dark green edges would certainly add to the presentation?
>
> Found this recipe for candied cukes which sounds fun:
>
> 1 cucumber
>
> 2 cups sugar (splenda/stevia might work)
>
> 2 cups water
>
> 1/4 cup finely chopped mint (extract might work.)
>
> Thinly slice the cucumber.* 1/4" slices worked the best.* 1/8"
> slices and many of them broke when lifted off of the baking sheet.
>
> Crinkle cut blade on mandoline to cut them, but you could certainly cut
> them by hand (and not obsess about making them all equal thickness).
>
> Fill a big wide skillet pan with sugar and water.
>
> Try to use a pan with a large diameter (don't worry about it being tall)
> that can fit many cucumber slices without them overlapping.* Don't
> worry if they won't all fit-do in two batches.
>
> Heat the sugar and water on medium-high and mix periodically until the
> sugar completely dissolves.
>
> Turn heat down to medium-low and toss in the mint and as many cucumber
> slices as you can fit without them overlapping.
>
> Cook the cucumbers for 20 minutes.
>
> Line a baking sheet pan with parchment paper.
>
> Pick the cucumbers out of the syrup and place them in a single layer on
> the prepared baking sheet.
>
> Bake sweetened cucumber slices at 180 degree Fahrenheit for 2 hours.
> Carefully remove to prevent breakage and enjoy.
>
> Reuse the syrup for the second batch of slices.

You have some very interesting ideas there- how about ice cream?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

I saw alot of recipes on the internet for cucumber sorbet. For ice cream
it might be better to have a sweet cucumber sauce over ice cream. Given
its high water content you would have ice crystals in the ice cream
unless you could somehow create a cucumber extract.

I saw something like that Japanese recipe on the internet-they had a
photo which was pretty because they did super thin shaved curling long
slices of cucumber. Cant imagine trying to peel round and round the
cucumber in a spiral but it would look neat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 27, 10:08*am, (z z) wrote:
> Such plebian fare, we don't talk about them often. How do you serve
> them? Any unusual recipes? Any baked recipes involving cucumbers? They
> are fruit-like so there must be dessert recipes out there involving the
> lowly cucumber?

I kinda like a few slices with cottage cheese for breakfast.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/05/2012 10:08 AM, z z wrote:
> Such plebian fare, we don't talk about them often. How do you serve
> them? Any unusual recipes? Any baked recipes involving cucumbers? They
> are fruit-like so there must be dessert recipes out there involving the
> lowly cucumber?

I like cucumbers in salad. I like them sliced and soaked for a few
minutes in vinegar with a litle salt and pepper. I like them sliced and
mixed with yogurt and garlic, maybe a little cumin.

I love cucumber sandwiches. Soak slices of cucumber in vinegar for a few
minutes. Spread cream cheese on a slice of hearty dark bread, lay a
couple slices of cucumber on it and garnish with a sprinkle of fresh
dill weed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"z z" > wrote in message
> Such plebian fare, we don't talk about them often. How do you serve
> them? Any unusual recipes? Any baked recipes involving cucumbers? They
> are fruit-like so there must be dessert recipes out there involving the
> lowly cucumber?

I usually cut it in half, and scoop out the seeds.

Maybe you could stuff it, and bake it with cheese on top, like zucchini and
summer squash. Or maybe dip it in egg wash and bread crumbs, and fry
it.Maybe make some refrigerator pickles. I hear pickled greenbeans are
delicious.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:

> We love this Japanese-style salad along with grilled meat.
>

> Cucumber Sunomo
>
> 2 large cucumbers -- peeled
> 1/3 cup rice vinegar
> 2 tablespoons white sugar
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root
>
> Cut cucumbers in half lengthwise and scoop out any large seeds. Slice
> crosswise into very thin slices.
>
> In a small bowl combine vinegar, sugar, salt and ginger. Mix well.
>
> Place cucumbers inside of the bowl, stir so that cucumbers are
> coated with the mixture. Refrigerate the bowl of cucumbers for at
> least 1 hour before serving.

A friend passed me a similar recipe years ago, he called it "instant
pickles".
The cucumbers get cut in many thin slices lengthwise and placed in a wide
dish, then white wine vinegar is added along with sugar, salt and chives and
all is mixed well. Let sit 1 hour in the fridge and here they are.

BIG CUCUMBERS VS SMALL CUCUMBERS Colonel Edmund J. Burke[_13_] General Cooking 2 11-05-2016 04:29 PM
Cucumbers . . . . ?? Sky General Cooking 39 13-08-2012 01:44 PM
Cucumbers? KenK General Cooking 14 14-06-2012 10:45 PM
Cucumbers - can anything be done with dried cucumbers? Jim[_25_] Preserving 15 08-06-2012 07:48 PM
I like cucumbers, I really do Nancy Young[_5_] General Cooking 69 14-07-2011 06:16 PM