Old 17-05-2012, 04:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Costco Organic Ground Beef

When did they change it? Or do they carry more than one kind now? I bought
some a few weeks back and noticed that the packaging is different. But the
meat was fine.

Then this past Sunday I bought some more. Made Spanish brown rice with 1/3
of it. The end result although tasty was very greasy. I assumed I had used
too much olive oil, even though I really didn't use much. Just a little to
toast the rice.

But then I used it again tonight for spaghetti sauce. I noticed a large
amount of grease in the pan, which I blotted off. But the resulting sauce
was still greasier than I wanted.

So I looked at the remaining package. It is now 85% lean and 15% fat. I
could have sworn that it used to be more lean. Or maybe I bought the wrong
thing? Do they make it in different percentages of leanness?

Old 17-05-2012, 05:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 May 2012 20:48:02 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

When did they change it? Or do they carry more than one kind now? I
bought
some a few weeks back and noticed that the packaging is different. But
the
meat was fine.

What did they say when you called them? CostCo carries different
brands in different markets.

So it's 85% lean now. What was it before? if you don't know that,
then, well....

I didn't call them. I am not sure what it was before. But I think
somewhere in the 90%.

Old 17-05-2012, 05:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 16, 11:24*pm, Sqwertz wrote:
On Wed, 16 May 2012 20:48:02 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
When did they change it? *Or do they carry more than one kind now? *I bought
some a few weeks back and noticed that the packaging is different. *But the
meat was fine.

What did they say when you called them? *CostCo carries different
brands in different markets.

So it's 85% lean now. *What was it before? *if you don't know that,
then, well....

I sometimes buy 85% lean if it's cheap, but I'm not a fan of beef
fat. I find it pretty tasteless. I love bovine milkfat. Anyone
remember Bonnie Buttered Beef?

-sw

--Bryan
Old 17-05-2012, 07:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 May 2012 20:48:02 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

When did they change it? Or do they carry more than one kind now? I
bought
some a few weeks back and noticed that the packaging is different. But
the
meat was fine.

What did they say when you called them? CostCo carries different
brands in different markets.

So it's 85% lean now. What was it before? if you don't know that,
then, well....

I didn't call them. I am not sure what it was before. But I think
somewhere in the 90%.

I think "normal" ground beef is 20% fat. A restaurant "gourmet" hamburger
is usually 20% fat. A lean ground beef hamburger is too dry and lacks
flavor. Always go for 20% and make sure the beef is ground on site. Costco's
hamburger is.

Kent

Old 17-05-2012, 07:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 May 2012 20:48:02 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

When did they change it? Or do they carry more than one kind now? I
bought
some a few weeks back and noticed that the packaging is different. But
the
meat was fine.

What did they say when you called them? CostCo carries different
brands in different markets.

So it's 85% lean now. What was it before? if you don't know that,
then, well....

I didn't call them. I am not sure what it was before. But I think
somewhere in the 90%.

I think "normal" ground beef is 20% fat. A restaurant "gourmet"
hamburger is usually 20% fat. A lean ground beef hamburger is too dry and
lacks flavor. Always go for 20% and make sure the beef is ground on site.
Costco's hamburger is.

I don't believe this is ground on site. This is the organic.

Old 17-05-2012, 09:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 May 2012 23:10:13 -0700, Kent wrote:

I think "normal" ground beef is 20% fat. A restaurant "gourmet"
hamburger
is usually 20% fat. A lean ground beef hamburger is too dry and lacks
flavor. Always go for 20% and make sure the beef is ground on site.
Costco's
hamburger is.

The organic ground beef they sell at our stores are pre-packaged. I
think they're in 3 1-lb cryovac packages. But I don't pay attention
to them. Never bought ground beef there - too much real meat to
choose from.

Yes. That's the stuff.

I will have to look at it better next time. There were two sections of it.
Perhaps there are two different kinds and I bought the wrong one? I have
bought the kind that they grind but you just have to buy so much of it! I
don't need that much. And I don't like dealing with frozen meat.

Old 17-05-2012, 01:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 17, 1:10*am, "Kent" wrote:
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
[...]

I understand the "too dry" part, but that "lacks flavor" thing is
bullshit. Lean beef has flavor. Delicious flavor. You're just
repeating shit you've heard time and time again. Do a side by side
tasting of browned lean beef against rendered tallow. You tell me
which one has "flavor."

Kent

--Bryan
Old 17-05-2012, 02:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote:

I think "normal" ground beef is 20% fat. A restaurant "gourmet" hamburger
is usually 20% fat.

For burgers, you want at least 15% fat. The leaner kind is better for
stuffed peppers, bolognese sauce, meatloaf, but not burgers.

Old 17-05-2012, 03:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

On Wed, 16 May 2012 23:10:13 -0700, Kent wrote:

I think "normal" ground beef is 20% fat. A restaurant "gourmet" hamburger
is usually 20% fat. A lean ground beef hamburger is too dry and lacks
flavor. Always go for 20% and make sure the beef is ground on site.
Costco's
hamburger is.

The organic ground beef they sell at our stores are pre-packaged. I
think they're in 3 1-lb cryovac packages. But I don't pay attention
to them. Never bought ground beef there - too much real meat to
choose from.

-sw

Almost (at least at my local store) It used to be in one pound packages,
not it's three 1 1/3 pound packages for a total of 4 pounds. Irritates
me. I stopped buying it when they increased the package size. I'm too
lazy to go home, slit open the packages, and repackage it in smaller
portions for freezing.

It was good when it was in 1 lb portions, but when the size change the
brand changed too and maybe that's the difference your finding as well.

marcella
Old 17-05-2012, 04:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 17, 8:34*am, George M. Middius wrote:
Kent wrote:
I think "normal" ground beef *is 20% fat. *A restaurant "gourmet" hamburger
is usually 20% fat.

For burgers, you want at least 15% fat. The leaner kind is better for
stuffed peppers, bolognese sauce, meatloaf, but not burgers.

I'd far rather have 9% fat if I'm cooking them rare or medium rare,
more fat the more done you're going to cook them.

--Bryan

Old 17-05-2012, 05:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/17/2012 7:23 AM, Bryan wrote:

I understand the "too dry" part, but that "lacks flavor" thing is
bullshit. Lean beef has flavor. Delicious flavor. You're just
repeating shit you've heard time and time again. Do a side by side
tasting of browned lean beef against rendered tallow. You tell me
which one has "flavor."

Rendered tallow is pretty damned delicious, too. It's what made
McDonald's french fries famous, after all (back in the days when they
fried real potatoes in real beef tallow. Even Julia Child praised them.)
Old 17-05-2012, 06:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" wrote in message
On May 17, 1:10 am, "Kent" wrote:
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
[...]

The flavor beef is tied to the fat in the meat. Standing rib and ribeye
taste great. Chuck tastes great. NY strip is intermediate. Filet doesn't
taste like beef.

Kent

Old 17-05-2012, 10:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Marcella Peek" wrote in message
Sqwertz wrote:

[...]

Ohhhhhh. You're right! I forgot about the extra meat. I had noticed that.

Old 17-05-2012, 11:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 17, 12:09*pm, "Kent" wrote:
"Bryan" wrote in message

On May 17, 1:10 am, "Kent" wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
[...]

I'd take the taste of a strip over rib or chuck every time, even if
the strip had been defatted beforehand. The muscle tissue itself
tastes different. A lean bite of chuck tastes different than a lean
bite of round.

*Filet doesn't taste like beef.

There you go saying nonsense again.

Kent

--Bryan
Old 18-05-2012, 01:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

*Filet doesn't taste like beef.

There you go saying nonsense again.

Isn't Kent the one who says "rectal orifice" when he's annoyed?

Costco organic EVOO spamtrap1888 General Cooking 0 18-06-2012 04:55 PM
How would I know if ground beef is bad? Julie Bove Diabetic 60 06-10-2009 04:29 AM
Ground beef BigD43 General Cooking 1 08-02-2008 11:49 PM
Costco increasingly organic Uncle Enrico Diabetic 4 12-11-2007 01:27 PM