Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default blenders: handheld vs. tabletop. Which is better?

"AL_n" > wrote:

>I'm faced with the dilemma of whether to choose a tabletop blender or a
>handheld stick blender. I can see advantages in both, but I only have the
>budget (and space) for one!

IMO- they are two different tools. I can't think of any operation
where either would work equally as well.

>My main use for these gadgets is making smoothies and protein shakes. Here
>is what I see as the advantages of each type:

And for smoothies, I can't imagine anything other than the Ninja or
?bullet? type. Mine is a now Ninja and I've only seen the other on
TV-- but the principle is the same. Very fast, single speed, with
lots of *sharp* blades-- not just the ones on the bottom.

>____Hand-held Blender:___
>Easier and quicker to clean
>Takes up less room in the dishwasher
>Takes up less room, period.
>Enables me to blend stuff that is in many kinds of container.
>Is probably better for 'sticky' concoctions such as mayonnaise

Great for doing the final 'mush' on cream-of-whatever soups. R ight
on the stove- right in the pot.

>___Tabletop blender:___
>Always in one place, so easy and quick to locate
>No possibility of splashing or spattering
>No little bits to mislay

add-- lots more powerful. The ones with layers of blades eliminate
the need to 'work' the concoction-- Just toss in the ingredients and
blend.

>While a tabletop blender takes up more space on the worktop, I can imagine
>that a stick blender is more of a fiddle to stash away after use. Both can
>be obtained with 650W mtors, so poer is not a deciding factor.

But even with a 650w motor, trying to grind up frozen strawberries or
ice cubes with a stick blender isn't going to work well, IMO.

I don't use my stick blender *or* my smoothie-size blender very
often-- But when I do, I'm glad I have both.

Jim