Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default blenders: handheld vs. tabletop. Which is better?

On 4/26/2012 12:31 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> I'm faced with the dilemma of whether to choose a tabletop blender or a
>> handheld stick blender. I can see advantages in both, but I only have the
>> budget (and space) for one!
>>
>> My main use for these gadgets is making smoothies and protein shakes. Here
>> is what I see as the advantages of each type:

>> Al

> If you put ice cubes in your smoothies, get the tabletop blender. I
> don't know that a stick blender could chop the ice.

Does it not depend on what you want to blend and how much you have?
Certainly, ice is out with a hand blender. I've got both types but the
hand-held stays out and I find some of the attachments with which it
came, like a mini food processor, rather useful when cooking for myself.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.