Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Made a broccoli pizza yesterday

Yesterday, I finally made an old favorite of daughter and I. We used to eat
this often but it's been a long time since I made one. It turned out
perfect this time.

Dad's Broccoli Pizza -
I used the old Betty Crocker recipe for the dough/crust. All I added to her
recipe was some minced garlic.

The sauce is simple. Can of tomato sauce, some basil and oregano and very
little salt & pepper. Also some onion, little bit of green pepper and garlic
in the sauce then it simmered for an hour to let the flavors blend. Near the
end, I added a lot of fresh medium chopped broccoli on top just to let it
steam a tiny bit. I didn't want it mushy.

Anyway....dough spread out, sauce with broccoli on then topped with
mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Baked in a 425 oven for 23 minutes.

It's not Swertz picture perfect but it sure does taste right!

Here's a picture if you care to look and criticize.
Don't even bother unless you are curious...just another hohum pizza pic
http://i42.tinypic.com/rihxea.jpg

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 11:23:38 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Yesterday, I finally made an old favorite of daughter and I. We used to eat
>this often but it's been a long time since I made one. It turned out
>perfect this time.
>
>Dad's Broccoli Pizza -
>I used the old Betty Crocker recipe for the dough/crust. All I added to her
>recipe was some minced garlic.
>
>The sauce is simple. Can of tomato sauce, some basil and oregano and very
>little salt & pepper. Also some onion, little bit of green pepper and garlic
>in the sauce then it simmered for an hour to let the flavors blend. Near the
>end, I added a lot of fresh medium chopped broccoli on top just to let it
>steam a tiny bit. I didn't want it mushy.
>
>Anyway....dough spread out, sauce with broccoli on then topped with
>mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Baked in a 425 oven for 23 minutes.
>

>It's not Swertz picture perfect but it sure does taste right!
>
>Here's a picture if you care to look and criticize.
>Don't even bother unless you are curious...just another hohum pizza pic
>http://i42.tinypic.com/rihxea.jpg

Looks more professional than anything that sqwertz dwarf ever cooked,
and you even own a pizza pan... not saying I'd like broccoli on my
pizza but if you like it go for it... I'm more into green bell, onion,
and lots of anchovy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 15, 11:23*am, Gary > wrote:
> Yesterday, I finally made an old favorite of daughter and I. *We used to eat
> this often but it's been a long time since I made one. *It turned out
> perfect this time.
>
> Dad's Broccoli Pizza -
> I used the old Betty Crocker recipe for the dough/crust. *All I added to her
> recipe was some minced garlic.
>
> The sauce is simple. *Can of tomato sauce, some basil and oregano and very
> little salt & pepper. Also some onion, little bit of green pepper and garlic
> in the sauce then it simmered for an hour to let the flavors blend. Near the
> end, I added a lot of fresh medium chopped broccoli on top just to let it
> steam a tiny bit. I didn't want it mushy.
>
> Anyway....dough spread out, sauce with broccoli on then topped with
> mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Baked in a 425 oven for 23 minutes.
>
> It's not Swertz picture perfect but it sure does taste right! *
>
> Here's a picture if you care to look and criticize.
> Don't even bother unless you are curious...just another hohum pizza pichttp://i42.tinypic.com/rihxea.jpg
>
> Gary

I love broccoli pizza with zucchini... and eggplant.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 15, 11:23*am, Gary > wrote:
> Yesterday, I finally made an old favorite of daughter and I. *We used to eat
> this often but it's been a long time since I made one. *It turned out
> perfect this time.
>
> Dad's Broccoli Pizza -
> I used the old Betty Crocker recipe for the dough/crust. *All I added to her
> recipe was some minced garlic.
>
> The sauce is simple. *Can of tomato sauce, some basil and oregano and very
> little salt & pepper. Also some onion, little bit of green pepper and garlic
> in the sauce then it simmered for an hour to let the flavors blend. Near the
> end, I added a lot of fresh medium chopped broccoli on top just to let it
> steam a tiny bit. I didn't want it mushy.
>
> Anyway....dough spread out, sauce with broccoli on then topped with
> mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Baked in a 425 oven for 23 minutes.
>
> It's not Swertz picture perfect but it sure does taste right! *
>
> Here's a picture if you care to look and criticize.
> Don't even bother unless you are curious...just another hohum pizza pichttp://i42.tinypic.com/rihxea.jpg
>
> Gary

It looks pretty good. I have never had broccoli on pizza before, and
I don't think I'd like it unless it was precooked so that it came out
nice and soft with no crispness.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 15, 8:23*am, Gary > wrote:
> Yesterday, I finally made an old favorite of daughter and I. *We used to eat
> this often but it's been a long time since I made one. *It turned out
> perfect this time.
>
> Dad's Broccoli Pizza -
> I used the old Betty Crocker recipe for the dough/crust. *All I added to her
> recipe was some minced garlic.
>
> The sauce is simple. *Can of tomato sauce, some basil and oregano and very
> little salt & pepper. Also some onion, little bit of green pepper and garlic
> in the sauce then it simmered for an hour to let the flavors blend. Near the
> end, I added a lot of fresh medium chopped broccoli on top just to let it
> steam a tiny bit. I didn't want it mushy.
>
> Anyway....dough spread out, sauce with broccoli on then topped with
> mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Baked in a 425 oven for 23 minutes.
>
> It's not Swertz picture perfect but it sure does taste right! *
>
> Here's a picture if you care to look and criticize.
> Don't even bother unless you are curious...just another hohum pizza pichttp://i42.tinypic.com/rihxea.jpg
>
> Gary

Nice job on the cooking also- it looks perfectly browned!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 11:23:38 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> Yesterday, I finally made an old favorite of daughter and I. We used to eat
> this often but it's been a long time since I made one. It turned out
> perfect this time.
>
> Dad's Broccoli Pizza -

I put zucchini on my pizza last night for the first time, not bad! I
was thinking about maybe trying cauliflower - because I have one in
the refrigerator waiting for me to do something with it.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 11:23:38 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Yesterday, I finally made an old favorite of daughter and I. We used to eat
>this often but it's been a long time since I made one. It turned out
>perfect this time.
>
>Dad's Broccoli Pizza -
>I used the old Betty Crocker recipe for the dough/crust. All I added to her
>recipe was some minced garlic.
>
>The sauce is simple. Can of tomato sauce, some basil and oregano and very
>little salt & pepper. Also some onion, little bit of green pepper and garlic
>in the sauce then it simmered for an hour to let the flavors blend. Near the
>end, I added a lot of fresh medium chopped broccoli on top just to let it
>steam a tiny bit. I didn't want it mushy.
>
>Anyway....dough spread out, sauce with broccoli on then topped with
>mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Baked in a 425 oven for 23 minutes.
>

>It's not Swertz picture perfect but it sure does taste right!
>
>Here's a picture if you care to look and criticize.
>Don't even bother unless you are curious...just another hohum pizza pic
>http://i42.tinypic.com/rihxea.jpg
>
>Gary

Looks like it was really good.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Apr 15, 11:23 am, Gary > wrote:
>> Yesterday, I finally made an old favorite of daughter and I. We used
>> to eat
>> this often but it's been a long time since I made one. It turned out
>> perfect this time.
>>
>> Dad's Broccoli Pizza -
>> I used the old Betty Crocker recipe for the dough/crust. All I added
>> to her
>> recipe was some minced garlic.
>>
>> The sauce is simple. Can of tomato sauce, some basil and oregano and
>> very
>> little salt & pepper. Also some onion, little bit of green pepper
>> and garlic
>> in the sauce then it simmered for an hour to let the flavors blend.
>> Near the
>> end, I added a lot of fresh medium chopped broccoli on top just to
>> let it
>> steam a tiny bit. I didn't want it mushy.
>>
>> Anyway....dough spread out, sauce with broccoli on then topped with
>> mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Baked in a 425 oven for 23 minutes.
>>
>> It's not Swertz picture perfect but it sure does taste right!
>>
>> Here's a picture if you care to look and criticize.
>> Don't even bother unless you are curious...just another hohum pizza
>> pichttp://i42.tinypic.com/rihxea.jpg
>>
>> Gary

> It looks pretty good. I have never had broccoli on pizza before, and
> I don't think I'd like it unless it was precooked so that it came out
> nice and soft with no crispness.

I had it once on a vegetarian pizza and wasn't expecting it. It was
horrible! The broccoli got so mushy when it cooked that it left the whole
pizza soggy. You couldn't even pick up a slice. I think it should have
been pre-cooked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15 Apr, 17:23, Gary > wrote:
> Yesterday, I finally made an old favorite of daughter and I. *We used to eat
> this often but it's been a long time since I made one. *It turned out
> perfect this time.
>
> Dad's Broccoli Pizza -
> I used the old Betty Crocker recipe for the dough/crust. *All I added to her
> recipe was some minced garlic.
>
> The sauce is simple. *Can of tomato sauce, some basil and oregano and very
> little salt & pepper. Also some onion, little bit of green pepper and garlic
> in the sauce then it simmered for an hour to let the flavors blend. Near the
> end, I added a lot of fresh medium chopped broccoli on top just to let it
> steam a tiny bit. I didn't want it mushy.
>
> Anyway....dough spread out, sauce with broccoli on then topped with
> mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Baked in a 425 oven for 23 minutes.
>
> It's not Swertz picture perfect but it sure does taste right! *
>
> Here's a picture if you care to look and criticize.
> Don't even bother unless you are curious...just another hohum pizza pichttp://i42.tinypic.com/rihxea.jpg
>
> Gary

It seams good to me! I would put less cheese and more broccoli
cheers
Pandora
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...

> Yesterday, I finally made an old favorite of daughter and I. We used to
> eat
> this often but it's been a long time since I made one. It turned out
> perfect this time.
>
> Dad's Broccoli Pizza -
> I used the old Betty Crocker recipe for the dough/crust. All I added to
> her
> recipe was some minced garlic.

My grandmother liked the Pillsbury pizza dough mix.

> The sauce is simple. Can of tomato sauce, some basil and oregano and very
> little salt & pepper. Also some onion, little bit of green pepper and
> garlic
> in the sauce then it simmered for an hour to let the flavors blend. Near
> the
> end, I added a lot of fresh medium chopped broccoli on top just to let it
> steam a tiny bit. I didn't want it mushy.
>
> Anyway....dough spread out, sauce with broccoli on then topped with
> mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Baked in a 425 oven for 23 minutes.

So you mixed the sauce with the broccoli. I had broccoli pizza the other
day. They put the broccoli on top. It was very dry.

I think if you're going to put the broccoli on top, you should saute it in
some oil.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 15, 11:23*am, Gary > wrote:
> Yesterday, I finally made an old favorite of daughter and I. *We used to eat
> this often but it's been a long time since I made one. *It turned out
> perfect this time.
>
> Dad's Broccoli Pizza -
> I used the old Betty Crocker recipe for the dough/crust. *All I added to her
> recipe was some minced garlic.
>
> The sauce is simple. *Can of tomato sauce, some basil and oregano and very
> little salt & pepper. Also some onion, little bit of green pepper and garlic
> in the sauce then it simmered for an hour to let the flavors blend. Near the
> end, I added a lot of fresh medium chopped broccoli on top just to let it
> steam a tiny bit. I didn't want it mushy.
>
> Anyway....dough spread out, sauce with broccoli on then topped with
> mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Baked in a 425 oven for 23 minutes.
>
> It's not Swertz picture perfect but it sure does taste right! *
>
> Here's a picture if you care to look and criticize.
> Don't even bother unless you are curious...just another hohum pizza pichttp://i42.tinypic.com/rihxea.jpg
>
> Gary

Hey - any way you can get something green into a kid is all right by
me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

I dont mind raw broccoli, hate cooked broccoli, and usually avoid
broccoli-but that is one spectacular looking pizza. I would try it. What
cheese(s) did you use to achieve that golden look?