Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I Made 'Glorified' Potato Soup Yesterday (Great Results!)

"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> Jill wrote:
>
>>Frankly, it sounds to me like you're trying
>> to throw in the kitchen sink. Not
>> something I'd want to eat, even though I
>> do make/eat soups and stews year
>> round. I've never heard of potato soup
>> that includes evaporated milk, clams,
>> mushrooms, a combination of sausage
>> and bacon, etc. Sorry, but I wouldn't try
>> it.

> WHAT???! Why knock it, if you haven't even tried it? Maybe you're use to
> soup with two or three ingredients? I never make soup the same way twice
> and never follow a recipe. I just keep adding whatever sounds and looks
> interesting and usually end up with tasty results.

Maybe I just don't want clams in my potato soup unless I'm making clam
chowder And that starts with a clam broth.

> Whenever I've made regular potato soup I've always used evaporated milk
> at the end, to make it rich and creamy, and LOTS of bacon.

> What do you
> use...just water and potatoes?

No, I start off with my paternal grandmother's recipe. She was German, so
it's a Pennsylvania dutch recipe. She made during the Depression so yes, it
started with plain water and potatoes. Then she added seasonings and lots
of pepper. And yes, several strips of crisp bacon. When I re-created this
long-lost soup for my father I started with water & potatoes but added
chicken stock. To thicken it she added rivlets (aka rivels). Those are
small cornmeal dumplings dropped in to thicken the soup and add some oomph.
Sorry, but there was never a can of evaporated milk used in this 75 year old
recipe.

> This was a perfect blend of flavors that
> ended up with all of us wanting more.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Judy. It's just not what I'm used to at all. I'm
used to Pennsylvania Dutch style potato soup.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill wrote:

>Maybe I just don't want clams in my
> potato soup unless I'm making clam
> chowder And that starts with a clam
> broth.

I make "clam chowder" just the way we like it...make my regular potato
soup and just dump in 2 to 3 cans of minced clams, broth and all, but
this time felt more "creative" and decided to add the mushrooms and
sliced smoked sausage, and all 3 of us thought it was awesome in flavor.

>No, I start off with my paternal
> grandmother's recipe. She was German,
> so it's a Pennsylvania dutch recipe. She
> made during the Depression so yes, it
> started with plain water and potatoes.
> Then she added seasonings and lots of
> pepper. And yes, several strips of crisp
> bacon. When I re-created this long-lost
> soup for my father I started with water &
> potatoes but added chicken stock. To
> thicken it she added rivlets (aka rivels).
> Those are small cornmeal dumplings
> dropped in to thicken the soup and add
> some oomph. Sorry, but there was
> never a can of evaporated milk used in
> this 75 year old recipe.

I guess it's whatever we're use to, but must say the way you make it,
doesn't really sound all that good...cornmeal dumplings, chicken broth,
and no milk? What about onions? To me, they are a must in any soup.
First off, I've never heard of such a thing as Pennsylvania Dutch Potato
Soup. My mother never made potato soup (or clam chowder) when I was
growing up, and don't ever remember my grandmothers making it either,
but it's something my four kids were raised on and now our grandkids
love it. I use LOTS of bacon, as hubby said there is no such thing as
too much bacon in it. He likes more "body" to it, so that's why he loved
the sausage in it, along with the clams, extra bacon, onions and fresh
mushrooms. Only other seasoning I use is salt & pepper. The sausage gave
it plenty of flavor, along with the clam broth and bacon.

>I'm glad you enjoyed it, Judy. It's just not
> what I'm used to at all. I'm used to
> Pennsylvania Dutch style potato soup.

Yep, we like what we are familiar with, but I enjoy trying new things
too.....IF they sound appealing and palatable.

Judy