FoodBanter.com

-   -   What Is Your Most Or Least Favorite Type Of Nut? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/415757-re-what-your-most.html)

Jean B.[_1_] 22-02-2012 03:49 AM

Nancy2 wrote:
> On Feb 20, 6:57 pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
>> George M. Middius wrote:
>>> They're a bargain at TJ, but you're right IMO about the freshness. A
>>> drugstore chain here (CVS) also has shelled pistachios, and sometimes
>>> Safeway has them too.

>> Fresher than TJ's? I have some of the unshelled pistachios,
>> because I was thinking of making a fruitcake. It didn't
>> materialize though. I hope they are usable for cooking.
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.

> I can always buy macadamia nuts without shells in the baking aisle - I
> make cookies using those and white "chocolate" chips, instead of
> regular chocolate chips. Delicious, so I'm told. Naturally, I've
> never tried one.
>
> N.

Speaking of white chocolate and nuts, white chocolate goes well
with hazelnuts. A woman whom I used to work with brought some
wc-h brownies to work, and they were divine. (I am not much of a
white chocolate fan either.)

And I forgot. I'd REALLY like to have hickory nuts again. I used
to sit on my second parents' back steps, smashing them with a
rock. They were REALLY good. One of the houses I looked at had a
pig nut (synonym) tree, and I meant to get a few nuts. I should
have been speedier, because the tree got chopped down a couple of
months ago.

--
Jean B.

Nancy2[_2_] 22-02-2012 05:14 PM

On Feb 21, 9:49*pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
> >> Fresher than TJ's? *I have some of the unshelled pistachios,
> >> because I was thinking of making a fruitcake. *It didn't
> >> materialize though. *I hope they are usable for cooking.

> >> --
> >> Jean B.

> > I can always buy macadamia nuts without shells in the baking aisle - I
> > make cookies using those and white "chocolate" chips, instead of
> > regular chocolate chips. *Delicious, so I'm told. *Naturally, I've
> > never tried one.

> > N.

> Speaking of white chocolate and nuts, white chocolate goes well
> with hazelnuts. *A woman whom I used to work with brought some
> wc-h brownies to work, and they were divine. *(I am not much of a
> white chocolate fan either.)
>
> And I forgot. *I'd REALLY like to have hickory nuts again. *I used
> to sit on my second parents' back steps, smashing them with a
> rock. *They were REALLY good. *One of the houses I looked at had a
> pig nut (synonym) tree, and I meant to get a few nuts. *I should
> have been speedier, because the tree got chopped down a couple of
> months ago.
>
> --
> Jean B.

One of our seasonal farm markets here has shelled (and unshelled)
hickory nuts every year. I'm sure you could find them online.

N.

Nancy2[_2_] 22-02-2012 05:15 PM

On Feb 22, 7:10*am, James Silverton > wrote:
> On 2/21/2012 10:49 PM, Jean B. wrote:
>

> > Nancy2 wrote:

> >> I can always buy macadamia nuts without shells in the baking aisle - I
> >> make cookies using those and white "chocolate" chips, instead of
> >> regular chocolate chips. Delicious, so I'm told. Naturally, I've
> >> never tried one.

> >> N.

> > Speaking of white chocolate and nuts, white chocolate goes well with
> > hazelnuts. A woman whom I used to work with brought some wc-h brownies
> > to work, and they were divine. (I am not much of a white chocolate fan
> > either.)

> > And I forgot. I'd REALLY like to have hickory nuts again. I used to sit
> > on my second parents' back steps, smashing them with a rock. They were
> > REALLY good. One of the houses I looked at had a pig nut (synonym) tree,
> > and I meant to get a few nuts. I should have been speedier, because the
> > tree got chopped down a couple of months ago.

> Just too much work for a small result. I leave them for the squirrels.
>
> --
> Jim Silverton
>
> Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

They really are a PITA to shell - I gathered some and shelled them for
my neighbor, whose husband wanted hickory nut cake, and my grandpa's
farm had hickory trees.....it took forever.

N.

Jean B.[_1_] 24-02-2012 04:35 AM

James Silverton wrote:
> On 2/21/2012 10:49 PM, Jean B. wrote:
>> Nancy2 wrote:

>>> I can always buy macadamia nuts without shells in the baking aisle - I
>>> make cookies using those and white "chocolate" chips, instead of
>>> regular chocolate chips. Delicious, so I'm told. Naturally, I've
>>> never tried one.
>>>
>>> N.

>> Speaking of white chocolate and nuts, white chocolate goes well with
>> hazelnuts. A woman whom I used to work with brought some wc-h brownies
>> to work, and they were divine. (I am not much of a white chocolate fan
>> either.)
>>
>> And I forgot. I'd REALLY like to have hickory nuts again. I used to sit
>> on my second parents' back steps, smashing them with a rock. They were
>> REALLY good. One of the houses I looked at had a pig nut (synonym) tree,
>> and I meant to get a few nuts. I should have been speedier, because the
>> tree got chopped down a couple of months ago.
>>

> Just too much work for a small result. I leave them for the squirrels.

Yes, I do recall that it was rather hard to pry the meat out,
which is probably why they aren't a huge commercial success. But
the meats are so sweet and good.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.[_1_] 24-02-2012 04:35 AM

Nancy2 wrote:
> On Feb 21, 9:49 pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
>> Nancy2 wrote:
>>> I can always buy macadamia nuts without shells in the baking aisle - I
>>> make cookies using those and white "chocolate" chips, instead of
>>> regular chocolate chips. Delicious, so I'm told. Naturally, I've
>>> never tried one.
>>> N.

>> Speaking of white chocolate and nuts, white chocolate goes well
>> with hazelnuts. A woman whom I used to work with brought some
>> wc-h brownies to work, and they were divine. (I am not much of a
>> white chocolate fan either.)
>>
>> And I forgot. I'd REALLY like to have hickory nuts again. I used
>> to sit on my second parents' back steps, smashing them with a
>> rock. They were REALLY good. One of the houses I looked at had a
>> pig nut (synonym) tree, and I meant to get a few nuts. I should
>> have been speedier, because the tree got chopped down a couple of
>> months ago.
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.

> One of our seasonal farm markets here has shelled (and unshelled)
> hickory nuts every year. I'm sure you could find them online.
>
> N.

Ohhhhhhh. Now if I bought stuff online... BUT maybe the nut
mecca has them. I will go look.

--
Jean B.

alaska34 24-02-2012 11:38 AM

Fried nuts

Its alaways been my favorite and i cant live without it
its my everything at all

_________________
Fishing Lodges Alaska

Bryan[_6_] 24-02-2012 12:43 PM

On Feb 23, 10:35*pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
> >> Speaking of white chocolate and nuts, white chocolate goes well
> >> with hazelnuts. *A woman whom I used to work with brought some
> >> wc-h brownies to work, and they were divine. *(I am not much of a
> >> white chocolate fan either.)

> >> And I forgot. *I'd REALLY like to have hickory nuts again. *I used
> >> to sit on my second parents' back steps, smashing them with a
> >> rock. *They were REALLY good. *One of the houses I looked at had a
> >> pig nut (synonym) tree, and I meant to get a few nuts. *I should
> >> have been speedier, because the tree got chopped down a couple of
> >> months ago.

> >> --
> >> Jean B.

> > One of our seasonal farm markets here has shelled (and unshelled)
> > hickory nuts every year. *I'm sure you could find them online.

> > N.

> Ohhhhhhh. *Now if I bought stuff online... *BUT maybe the nut
> mecca has them. *I will go look.

These folks have the best prices: http://www.nativenuts.com/

I really need to treat myself one of these days, but right now my
treat basket runneth over.

> --
> Jean B.

--Bryan