Old 13-02-2012, 07:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Beef Prices

As we all know, beef prices have risen to the moon in the past couple of
years. Prices were up 20% in 2011, and there is a projected 9% price rise
this year. There is a drought in texas, as severe as anything since 1935.
Look at the following article from the Wall Street Journal just published.
I've been think about tofu for some time.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...DS=beef+prices

Kent

Old 13-02-2012, 11:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nixtamalized corn. Rice and beans. There are other ways to get protein.

Jerry
--
"I view the progress of science as being the slow erosion of the
tendency to dichotomize." Barbara Smuts, U. Mich.
Old 13-02-2012, 03:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 14:14:57 GMT, "l, not -l" wrote:

On 13-Feb-2012, Jerry Avins wrote:

Nixtamalized corn.

I'll take pork instead.

And so will lots of other people and that will drive the price of pork
up -- also chicken and other proteins. We will have to cut back on
portion size of protein
Janet US
Old 13-02-2012, 03:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 08:25:19 -0700, Janet Bostwick
wrote:

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 14:14:57 GMT, "l, not -l" wrote:

On 13-Feb-2012, Jerry Avins wrote:

Nixtamalized corn.

I'll take pork instead.

And so will lots of other people and that will drive the price of pork
up -- also chicken and other proteins. We will have to cut back on
portion size of protein

Yeah. Start eating the amount we should have been all along.

Lou
Old 13-02-2012, 03:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-02-13, Janet Bostwick wrote:

And so will lots of other people and that will drive the price of pork
up -- also chicken and other proteins. We will have to cut back on
portion size of protein
Janet US

It's called "overpopulation" and is a worldwide problem. We need a
really good (bad!) influenza.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!

Old 13-02-2012, 04:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 13, 1:38*am, "Kent" wrote:
As we all know, beef prices have risen to the moon in the past couple of
years. *Prices were up 20% in 2011, and there is a projected 9% price rise
this year. There is a drought in texas, as severe as anything since 1935.
Look at the following article from the Wall Street Journal just published..
I've been think about tofu for some time.

I get my beef and pork from the Amish or from friends here locally.
Prices are going up, but much less than on the commodities markets.
Buy from local sources, whenever you can. You'll generally have lower
prices and will often get better quality.

Old 13-02-2012, 05:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-02-13, l, not -l wrote:

That's fine with me; I'd rather pay more for any meat than eat that nasty
nixtmalized corn (my opinion, I don't expect, or care, for all to agree).

I don't expect you to agree, but to characterize nixtamale as "nasty"
is jes plain stupid. I'm still trying to learn the proper method of
producing fresh nixtamal, it being the epitome of pozole soup and
menudo. Canned hominy (pozole) is nothing like fresh nixtamaled corn
and its unique flavor is what makes the dish. If you dislike it,
that's your problem and no concern of mine, but it's certainly not
"nasty".

nb

Old 13-02-2012, 05:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 13, 2012 11:58:05 AM UTC-5, Mike Muth wrote:

I get my beef and pork from the Amish or from friends here locally.
Prices are going up, but much less than on the commodities markets.
Buy from local sources, whenever you can. You'll generally have lower
prices and will often get better quality.

Unfortunately, meat at the Amish markets accessible to me costs considerably more than meat at the supermarket. The quality justifies the higher price to those not on a budget.

Jerry
Old 13-02-2012, 05:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote:

As we all know, beef prices have risen to the moon in the past couple of
years. Prices were up 20% in 2011, and there is a projected 9% price rise
this year. There is a drought in texas, as severe as anything since 1935.

Plus a lot more corn is fermented into ethanol for fuel and that means
less to feed to the cows.
Old 13-02-2012, 06:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 17:59:12 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger
wrote:

Kent wrote:

As we all know, beef prices have risen to the moon in the past couple of
years. Prices were up 20% in 2011, and there is a projected 9% price rise
this year. There is a drought in texas, as severe as anything since 1935.

Plus a lot more corn is fermented into ethanol for fuel and that means
less to feed to the cows.

don't forget that last year the weather was unseasonably cold and wet
in the mid-west. Many farmers were unable to get into their fields to
plant. This year the upper mid-west is concerned about lack of
moisture. There has been a global shift in the jet stream, no telling
how long it will last.
Janet US

Old 13-02-2012, 06:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13-Feb-2012, Janet Bostwick wrote:

don't forget that last year the weather was unseasonably cold
and wet in the mid-west.

And drought conditions prevailed across much of the plains
states.

--
Mike
Old 13-02-2012, 06:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jerry Avins" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
Nixtamalized corn. Rice and beans. There are other ways to get protein.

Jerry
--

Eat fish. Chicken. Pork.

Jill

Old 13-02-2012, 07:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 18:51:55 GMT, "Mike Muth"
wrote:

On 13-Feb-2012, Janet Bostwick wrote:

don't forget that last year the weather was unseasonably cold
and wet in the mid-west.

And drought conditions prevailed across much of the plains
states.

very true. Our growing regions did not do well last year.
Janet US
Old 13-02-2012, 08:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article , Doug Freyburger
wrote:

Kent wrote:

As we all know, beef prices have risen to the moon in the past couple of
years. Prices were up 20% in 2011, and there is a projected 9% price rise
this year. There is a drought in texas, as severe as anything since 1935.

Plus a lot more corn is fermented into ethanol for fuel and that means
less to feed to the cows.

which means MORE DDGS to feed the cows
Old 14-02-2012, 02:49 AM
Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Muth View Post
On Feb 13, 1:38*am, "Kent" wrote:
As we all know, beef prices have risen to the moon in the past couple of
years. *Prices were up 20% in 2011, and there is a projected 9% price rise
this year. There is a drought in texas, as severe as anything since 1935.
Look at the following article from the Wall Street Journal just published..
I've been think about tofu for some time.

I get my beef and pork from the Amish or from friends here locally.
Prices are going up, but much less than on the commodities markets.
Buy from local sources, whenever you can. You'll generally have lower
prices and will often get better quality.
Me, too. The quicker you learn to buy clean local stuff, the quicker you'll get clean meat, and better tasting meat. The beef I buy from a local farmer comes from animals that graze (rotationally) and taste like heaven. Amish chickens that don't have "10% solution added", pork from a farmer that has the flavor of pork that seems lacking at the food stores that buy crap.

Then again, I cook to make the meat/fat flavor things like veggies, rice, lentils. yeah, I'll make steaks now and again; but a great pot roast is heaven, too. that and the fat you reserve from good meats is of higher quality, as are the bones. I can buy half a beef for $2.50/lb. butchered. yes, that means bone and such. That bones makes broth that is unreal. I've also found the beauty of cooking with marrow. Oh my goodness!!

Low beef prices? Food Snob® General Cooking 10 12-05-2009 11:32 PM
Beef Prices To Rise Again? BOB General Cooking 22 02-01-2004 04:13 AM
High beef prices butch burton Barbecue 9 22-11-2003 04:27 PM
Beef Prices Mr. Wizard General Cooking 15 03-11-2003 07:50 PM