Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Req: cooking rutabaga in micro

Does anyone have tips on cooking a rutabaga in the microwave. I know to
wrap it in paper towel to absorb the wax, but knowing how long it takes to
get diced done with steaming or boiling. The one I have is about a lb. or
a little more. Thanks for any advice....Sharon in Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 08:53:12 -0500, "biig" > wrote:

> Does anyone have tips on cooking a rutabaga in the microwave. I know to
>wrap it in paper towel to absorb the wax, but knowing how long it takes to
>get diced done with steaming or boiling. The one I have is about a lb. or
>a little more. Thanks for any advice....Sharon in Canada

Hmm?-- when I cook rutabaga, I cut in half so I have a flat side, then
slice into 1/2 slices.[or 3/4 if I'm going to roast it]

I peel the slices with a paring knife with little effort-- then dice.

Are you microwaving just to soften the skin?

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 08:53:12 -0500, "biig" > wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have tips on cooking a rutabaga in the microwave. I know
>>wrap it in paper towel to absorb the wax, but knowing how long it takes to
>>get diced done with steaming or boiling. The one I have is about a lb.
>>or
>>a little more. Thanks for any advice....Sharon in Canada
>>

> Hmm?-- when I cook rutabaga, I cut in half so I have a flat side, then
> slice into 1/2 slices.[or 3/4 if I'm going to roast it]
>
> I peel the slices with a paring knife with little effort-- then dice.
>
> Are you microwaving just to soften the skin?
>
> Jim

Not to just soften the skin. I was told a few years ago that you can
cook it completely in the micro. I have arthritic hands and cutting and
peeling is a challenge, so thought I'd try it in the micro this time.
.....thanks...Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"biig" wrote:
>"Jim Elbrecht" wrote:
>>"biig" wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone have tips on cooking a rutabaga in the microwave. I know
>>>wrap it in paper towel to absorb the wax, but knowing how long it takes to
>>>get diced done with steaming or boiling. The one I have is about a lb.
>>>or
>>>a little more. Thanks for any advice....Sharon in Canada
>>>

>> Hmm?-- when I cook rutabaga, I cut in half so I have a flat side, then
>> slice into 1/2 slices.[or 3/4 if I'm going to roast it]
>>
>> I peel the slices with a paring knife with little effort-- then dice.
>>
>> Are you microwaving just to soften the skin?
>>
>> Jim

> Not to just soften the skin. I was told a few years ago that you can
>cook it completely in the micro. I have arthritic hands and cutting and
>peeling is a challenge, so thought I'd try it in the micro this time.
>....thanks...Sharon

You really should pare rutbaga to remove that wax or it will melt and
can make a mess even when wrapped in paper towel. And rutabaga being
a root vegetable along with not being very clean can often have bits
of sand embedded, your dentist will love you. The wax is not a
protectorant to keep it clean, it's a protectorant to keep rutabaga
from drying out so it actually prevents you from washing it. And you
can't cook rutabaga whole anyway, it needs to be sliced/diced into
fairly equal sized pieces to cook evenly. You need someone with
large, strong, sensitive hands to manhandle your rutabagas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 26, 8:53*am, "biig" > wrote:
*Thanks for any advice....Sharon in Canada

I love rutabaga. I have not nuked one but I would think the wax would
mess things up. If you have a really sharp paring knife, hold the
whole baga on a cutting board and kind of whittle the layer off.
Little quick shaving motions should be pretty easy on your hands. Then
nuke it. I would wrap it in plastic wrap and nuke for 7 minutes or so
(Guessing 1200 watt nuker here). If at seven you can stick a fork in
it you are good to go. If not....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Thomas" > wrote in message
On Jan 26, 8:53 am, "biig" > wrote:
Thanks for any advice....Sharon in Canada

I love rutabaga. I have not nuked one but I would think the wax would
mess things up. If you have a really sharp paring knife, hold the
whole baga on a cutting board and kind of whittle the layer off.
Little quick shaving motions should be pretty easy on your hands. Then
nuke it. I would wrap it in plastic wrap and nuke for 7 minutes or so
(Guessing 1200 watt nuker here). If at seven you can stick a fork in
it you are good to go. If not....

I actually did put it in the mw, wrapped in several paper towels. They
absorbed the wax quite nicely. It took about 15 minutes in 3 min
increments. It was cooked through and I peeled it and mashed it. After
doing that, I think that it was more of a pain than peeling it uncooked. It
might have been better if I had used a smaller rutabaga, but it did work ok.
Thanks for the replies....Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 13:38:10 -0500, biig wrote:
>
>> "Thomas" > wrote in message
>> On Jan 26, 8:53 am, "biig" > wrote:
>> Thanks for any advice....Sharon in Canada
>>
>> I love rutabaga. I have not nuked one but I would think the wax would
>> mess things up. If you have a really sharp paring knife, hold the
>> whole baga on a cutting board and kind of whittle the layer off.
>> Little quick shaving motions should be pretty easy on your hands. Then
>> nuke it. I would wrap it in plastic wrap and nuke for 7 minutes or so
>> (Guessing 1200 watt nuker here). If at seven you can stick a fork in
>> it you are good to go. If not....
>>
>> I actually did put it in the mw, wrapped in several paper towels. They
>> absorbed the wax quite nicely. It took about 15 minutes in 3 min
>> increments. It was cooked through and I peeled it and mashed it. After
>> doing that, I think that it was more of a pain than peeling it uncooked.
>> It
>> might have been better if I had used a smaller rutabaga, but it did work
>> ok.
>> Thanks for the replies....Sharon

> I'm sure we'll be happy when Outlook Express and/or Google Groups
> dies.
>
> -sw

Shrug!! ....and how does that relate to the topic???

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:43:46 PM UTC-7, biig wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 13:38:10 -0500, biig wrote:
> >
> >> "Thomas" > wrote in message
> >> On Jan 26, 8:53 am, "biig" > wrote:
> >> Thanks for any advice....Sharon in Canada
> >>
> >> I love rutabaga. I have not nuked one but I would think the wax would
> >> mess things up. If you have a really sharp paring knife, hold the
> >> whole baga on a cutting board and kind of whittle the layer off.
> >> Little quick shaving motions should be pretty easy on your hands. Then
> >> nuke it. I would wrap it in plastic wrap and nuke for 7 minutes or so
> >> (Guessing 1200 watt nuker here). If at seven you can stick a fork in
> >> it you are good to go. If not....
> >>
> >> I actually did put it in the mw, wrapped in several paper towels. They
> >> absorbed the wax quite nicely. It took about 15 minutes in 3 min
> >> increments. It was cooked through and I peeled it and mashed it. After
> >> doing that, I think that it was more of a pain than peeling it uncooked.
> >> It
> >> might have been better if I had used a smaller rutabaga, but it did work
> >> ok.
> >> Thanks for the replies....Sharon

> > I'm sure we'll be happy when Outlook Express and/or Google Groups
> > dies.
> >
> > -sw

> Shrug!! ....and how does that relate to the topic???

His reader won't read anything correctly so he blames everyone else because he didn't set it up right. I can read most postings with no problem whatsoever.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:43:46 PM UTC-7, biig wrote:

>> > I'm sure we'll be happy when Outlook Express and/or Google Groups
>> > dies.
>> >
>> > -sw

>> Shrug!! ....and how does that relate to the topic???

> His reader won't read anything correctly so he blames everyone else
> because he didn't set it up right. I can read most postings with no
> problem whatsoever.

I do see that there was no division between Thomas's post and mine.
Didn't know it was a net crime...lol... But I guess I have to watch my back
eh??? If I care what he thinks, that is.....Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/26/2012 6:57 PM, Roy wrote:
> On Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:43:46 PM UTC-7, biig wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>>> I'm sure we'll be happy when Outlook Express and/or Google Groups
>>> dies.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Shrug!! ....and how does that relate to the topic???

> His reader won't read anything correctly so he blames everyone else because he didn't set it up right. I can read most postings with no problem whatsoever.

It shows up simply as two paragraphs with nothing to differentiate the
reply in my newsreader.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 26, 3:10*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 17:43:46 -0500, biig wrote:

> >> I'm sure we'll be happy when Outlook Express and/or Google Groups
> >> dies.

> >> -sw

> > * *Shrug!! ....and how does that relate to the topic???

> You made the topic by not quoting the previous post properly. *You
> can't tell where the previous post ends and your post begins. *You
> misquoted Thomas and it looks like you wrote his words.
>
> Very Bad Netiquette is always on topic.
>
> -sw

Ah...the RFC cop is awake and back to work.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:10:59 PM UTC-7, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 17:43:46 -0500, biig wrote:

> >> I'm sure we'll be happy when Outlook Express and/or Google Groups
> >> dies.
> >>
> >> -sw

> > Shrug!! ....and how does that relate to the topic???

> You made the topic by not quoting the previous post properly. You
> can't tell where the previous post ends and your post begins. You
> misquoted Thomas and it looks like you wrote his words.
>
> Very Bad Netiquette is always on topic.
>
> -sw

Looked good to me...perhaps its YOUR reader that screws things up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/26/2012 8:53 AM, biig wrote:
> Does anyone have tips on cooking a rutabaga in the microwave. I know to
> wrap it in paper towel to absorb the wax, but knowing how long it takes to
> get diced done with steaming or boiling. The one I have is about a lb. or
> a little more. Thanks for any advice....Sharon in Canada

I would think it would overcook if you try to cook a whole one.

I use a vegetable peeler to peel the skin and then cut it up according
to how I will use it. That is usually in cubes.

My SIL has arthritis and I got her a good ceramic knife this Christmas.
She said having a really sharp knife made a big difference for her on
items such as root vegetables.