Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Req: cooking rutabaga in micro

Does anyone have tips on cooking a rutabaga in the microwave. I know to
wrap it in paper towel to absorb the wax, but knowing how long it takes to
get diced done with steaming or boiling. The one I have is about a lb. or
a little more. Thanks for any advice....Sharon in Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 08:53:12 -0500, "biig" > wrote:

> Does anyone have tips on cooking a rutabaga in the microwave. I know to
>wrap it in paper towel to absorb the wax, but knowing how long it takes to
>get diced done with steaming or boiling. The one I have is about a lb. or
>a little more. Thanks for any advice....Sharon in Canada

Hmm?-- when I cook rutabaga, I cut in half so I have a flat side, then
slice into 1/2 slices.[or 3/4 if I'm going to roast it]

I peel the slices with a paring knife with little effort-- then dice.

Are you microwaving just to soften the skin?

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 08:53:12 -0500, "biig" > wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have tips on cooking a rutabaga in the microwave. I know
>>wrap it in paper towel to absorb the wax, but knowing how long it takes to
>>get diced done with steaming or boiling. The one I have is about a lb.
>>or
>>a little more. Thanks for any advice....Sharon in Canada
>>

> Hmm?-- when I cook rutabaga, I cut in half so I have a flat side, then
> slice into 1/2 slices.[or 3/4 if I'm going to roast it]
>
> I peel the slices with a paring knife with little effort-- then dice.
>
> Are you microwaving just to soften the skin?
>
> Jim

Not to just soften the skin. I was told a few years ago that you can
cook it completely in the micro. I have arthritic hands and cutting and
peeling is a challenge, so thought I'd try it in the micro this time.
.....thanks...Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/26/2012 8:53 AM, biig wrote:
> Does anyone have tips on cooking a rutabaga in the microwave. I know to
> wrap it in paper towel to absorb the wax, but knowing how long it takes to
> get diced done with steaming or boiling. The one I have is about a lb. or
> a little more. Thanks for any advice....Sharon in Canada

I would think it would overcook if you try to cook a whole one.

I use a vegetable peeler to peel the skin and then cut it up according
to how I will use it. That is usually in cubes.

My SIL has arthritis and I got her a good ceramic knife this Christmas.
She said having a really sharp knife made a big difference for her on
items such as root vegetables.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 26, 8:53*am, "biig" > wrote:
*Thanks for any advice....Sharon in Canada

I love rutabaga. I have not nuked one but I would think the wax would
mess things up. If you have a really sharp paring knife, hold the
whole baga on a cutting board and kind of whittle the layer off.
Little quick shaving motions should be pretty easy on your hands. Then
nuke it. I would wrap it in plastic wrap and nuke for 7 minutes or so
(Guessing 1200 watt nuker here). If at seven you can stick a fork in
it you are good to go. If not....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"biig" wrote:
>"Jim Elbrecht" wrote:
>>"biig" wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone have tips on cooking a rutabaga in the microwave. I know
>>>wrap it in paper towel to absorb the wax, but knowing how long it takes to
>>>get diced done with steaming or boiling. The one I have is about a lb.
>>>or
>>>a little more. Thanks for any advice....Sharon in Canada
>>>

>> Hmm?-- when I cook rutabaga, I cut in half so I have a flat side, then
>> slice into 1/2 slices.[or 3/4 if I'm going to roast it]
>>
>> I peel the slices with a paring knife with little effort-- then dice.
>>
>> Are you microwaving just to soften the skin?
>>
>> Jim

> Not to just soften the skin. I was told a few years ago that you can
>cook it completely in the micro. I have arthritic hands and cutting and
>peeling is a challenge, so thought I'd try it in the micro this time.
>....thanks...Sharon

You really should pare rutbaga to remove that wax or it will melt and
can make a mess even when wrapped in paper towel. And rutabaga being
a root vegetable along with not being very clean can often have bits
of sand embedded, your dentist will love you. The wax is not a
protectorant to keep it clean, it's a protectorant to keep rutabaga
from drying out so it actually prevents you from washing it. And you
can't cook rutabaga whole anyway, it needs to be sliced/diced into
fairly equal sized pieces to cook evenly. You need someone with
large, strong, sensitive hands to manhandle your rutabagas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Thomas" > wrote in message
On Jan 26, 8:53 am, "biig" > wrote:
Thanks for any advice....Sharon in Canada

I love rutabaga. I have not nuked one but I would think the wax would
mess things up. If you have a really sharp paring knife, hold the
whole baga on a cutting board and kind of whittle the layer off.
Little quick shaving motions should be pretty easy on your hands. Then
nuke it. I would wrap it in plastic wrap and nuke for 7 minutes or so
(Guessing 1200 watt nuker here). If at seven you can stick a fork in
it you are good to go. If not....

I actually did put it in the mw, wrapped in several paper towels. They
absorbed the wax quite nicely. It took about 15 minutes in 3 min
increments. It was cooked through and I peeled it and mashed it. After
doing that, I think that it was more of a pain than peeling it uncooked. It
might have been better if I had used a smaller rutabaga, but it did work ok.
Thanks for the replies....Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 13:38:10 -0500, biig wrote:
>
>> "Thomas" > wrote in message
>> On Jan 26, 8:53 am, "biig" > wrote:
>> Thanks for any advice....Sharon in Canada
>>
>> I love rutabaga. I have not nuked one but I would think the wax would
>> mess things up. If you have a really sharp paring knife, hold the
>> whole baga on a cutting board and kind of whittle the layer off.
>> Little quick shaving motions should be pretty easy on your hands. Then
>> nuke it. I would wrap it in plastic wrap and nuke for 7 minutes or so
>> (Guessing 1200 watt nuker here). If at seven you can stick a fork in
>> it you are good to go. If not....
>>
>> I actually did put it in the mw, wrapped in several paper towels. They
>> absorbed the wax quite nicely. It took about 15 minutes in 3 min
>> increments. It was cooked through and I peeled it and mashed it. After
>> doing that, I think that it was more of a pain than peeling it uncooked.
>> It
>> might have been better if I had used a smaller rutabaga, but it did work
>> ok.
>> Thanks for the replies....Sharon

> I'm sure we'll be happy when Outlook Express and/or Google Groups
> dies.
>
> -sw

Shrug!! ....and how does that relate to the topic???

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 26, 3:10*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 17:43:46 -0500, biig wrote:

> >> I'm sure we'll be happy when Outlook Express and/or Google Groups
> >> dies.

> >> -sw

> > * *Shrug!! ....and how does that relate to the topic???

> You made the topic by not quoting the previous post properly. *You
> can't tell where the previous post ends and your post begins. *You
> misquoted Thomas and it looks like you wrote his words.
>
> Very Bad Netiquette is always on topic.
>
> -sw

Ah...the RFC cop is awake and back to work.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:43:46 PM UTC-7, biig wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 13:38:10 -0500, biig wrote:
> >
> >> "Thomas" > wrote in message
> >> On Jan 26, 8:53 am, "biig" > wrote:
> >> Thanks for any advice....Sharon in Canada
> >>
> >> I love rutabaga. I have not nuked one but I would think the wax would
> >> mess things up. If you have a really sharp paring knife, hold the
> >> whole baga on a cutting board and kind of whittle the layer off.
> >> Little quick shaving motions should be pretty easy on your hands. Then
> >> nuke it. I would wrap it in plastic wrap and nuke for 7 minutes or so
> >> (Guessing 1200 watt nuker here). If at seven you can stick a fork in
> >> it you are good to go. If not....
> >>
> >> I actually did put it in the mw, wrapped in several paper towels. They
> >> absorbed the wax quite nicely. It took about 15 minutes in 3 min
> >> increments. It was cooked through and I peeled it and mashed it. After
> >> doing that, I think that it was more of a pain than peeling it uncooked.
> >> It
> >> might have been better if I had used a smaller rutabaga, but it did work
> >> ok.
> >> Thanks for the replies....Sharon

> > I'm sure we'll be happy when Outlook Express and/or Google Groups
> > dies.
> >
> > -sw

> Shrug!! ....and how does that relate to the topic???

His reader won't read anything correctly so he blames everyone else because he didn't set it up right. I can read most postings with no problem whatsoever.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:10:59 PM UTC-7, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 17:43:46 -0500, biig wrote:

> >> I'm sure we'll be happy when Outlook Express and/or Google Groups
> >> dies.
> >>
> >> -sw

> > Shrug!! ....and how does that relate to the topic???

> You made the topic by not quoting the previous post properly. You
> can't tell where the previous post ends and your post begins. You
> misquoted Thomas and it looks like you wrote his words.
>
> Very Bad Netiquette is always on topic.
>
> -sw

Looked good to me...perhaps its YOUR reader that screws things up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:43:46 PM UTC-7, biig wrote:

>> > I'm sure we'll be happy when Outlook Express and/or Google Groups
>> > dies.
>> >
>> > -sw

>> Shrug!! ....and how does that relate to the topic???

> His reader won't read anything correctly so he blames everyone else
> because he didn't set it up right. I can read most postings with no
> problem whatsoever.

I do see that there was no division between Thomas's post and mine.
Didn't know it was a net crime...lol... But I guess I have to watch my back
eh??? If I care what he thinks, that is.....Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/26/2012 6:57 PM, Roy wrote:
> On Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:43:46 PM UTC-7, biig wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>>> I'm sure we'll be happy when Outlook Express and/or Google Groups
>>> dies.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Shrug!! ....and how does that relate to the topic???

> His reader won't read anything correctly so he blames everyone else because he didn't set it up right. I can read most postings with no problem whatsoever.

It shows up simply as two paragraphs with nothing to differentiate the
reply in my newsreader.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 27, 2012 9:42:43 AM UTC-7, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 08:16:15 -0500, biig wrote:
>
> > "Roy" > wrote in message

> >> His reader won't read anything correctly so he blames everyone else
> >> because he didn't set it up right. I can read most postings with no
> >> problem whatsoever.

> > I do see that there was no division between Thomas's post and mine.
> > Didn't know it was a net crime...lol... But I guess I have to watch my back
> > eh??? If I care what he thinks, that is.....Sharon

> Oh, doubt there is anybody here that approves of it and many people
> get much more vocal about it than I. There have been many heated
> threads on the subject (not involving me lately). We are currently
> only beating up Paul M. Cook for it because he wants to be so
> pigheaded about it and blame other people.
>
> And it's not because of my newsreader as Roy would have you believe
> (Roy wasn't exactly born gifted between the ears). Everybody in the
> group sees your post that way - even dim-witted Roy. This happens
> when somebody using Outlook Express (you) responds to somebody who
> posted VIA Google (Thomas, upthread). There is a fix for it but I
> forget what it is right now. Somebody will be along that remembers
> what it is.
>
> Don't take it personally, just be open to installing the patch for it.
> It's only when people refuse to do that and purposely make their posts
> confusing for others (like Paul Cook) that it will get ugly. And I
> was being pretty restrained considering my, uh, "capabilities" ;-)
>
> ObFood: Do many women (or men for that matter) sit on the toilet
> backwards - facing the wall? My girlfriend walked into an unlocked
> stall last night and noticed the woman sitting on the throne facing
> backwards. Why would somebody do that? The woman looked normal
> enough when she came back into the dining room and it was an fairly
> upscale restaurant (Parkside, in Austin). White and spoke American
> English without an accent - ruling out any ethnicity reasons (unless
> it's a White thing <shrug>). Totally weird, IOO.
>
> -sw

"Everyone in the group" says resident troll Squertz...he speaks for the group now. It must be nice to be so omnipotent that one cannot see the forest for the trees.

Grow UP Squertz and quit this unending denigrating of others for your own amusement. You must suffer from an inferiority complex and over-compensate for it by being such an ass most of the time. I'm sure there must be a "nice" side to you...please show it more often.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 27, 2012 10:03:02 AM UTC-7, George wrote:

> >> Shrug!! ....and how does that relate to the topic???

> > His reader won't read anything correctly so he blames everyone else because he didn't set it up right. I can read most postings with no problem whatsoever.

> It shows up simply as two paragraphs with nothing to differentiate the
> reply in my newsreader.

To tell the truth George...that is the way it showed for me BUT the reply was in a DIFFERENT color to signify that it was not from the same author. A good newsreader or browser DOES THAT. Its too bad that the standards set down many years ago are not implemented.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 27, 12:09*pm, Roy > wrote:
> On Friday, January 27, 2012 9:42:43 AM UTC-7, Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 08:16:15 -0500, biig wrote:

> > > "Roy" > wrote in message

> > > * I do see that there was no division between Thomas's post and mine.
> > > Didn't know it was a net crime...lol... *But I guess I have to watch my back
> > > eh??? *If I care what he thinks, that is.....Sharon

> > Oh, *doubt there is anybody here that approves of it and many people
> > get much more vocal about it than I. There have been many heated
> > threads on the subject (not involving me lately). *We are currently
> > only beating up Paul M. Cook for it because he wants to be so
> > pigheaded about it and blame other people.

> > And it's not because of my newsreader as Roy would have you believe
> > (Roy wasn't exactly born gifted between the ears). *Everybody in the
> > group sees your post that way - even dim-witted Roy. *This happens
> > when somebody using Outlook Express (you) responds to somebody who
> > posted VIA Google (Thomas, upthread). *There is a fix for it but I
> > forget what it is right now. *Somebody will be along that remembers
> > what it is.

> > Don't take it personally, just be open to installing the patch for it.
> > It's only when people refuse to do that and purposely make their posts
> > confusing for others (like Paul Cook) that it will get ugly. *And I
> > was being pretty restrained considering my, uh, "capabilities" ;-)

> > ObFood: *Do many women (or men for that matter) sit on the toilet
> > backwards - facing the wall? *My girlfriend walked into an unlocked
> > stall last night and noticed the woman sitting on the throne facing
> > backwards. *Why would somebody do that? *The woman looked normal
> > enough when she came back into the dining room and it was an fairly
> > upscale restaurant (Parkside, in Austin). *White and spoke American
> > English without an accent - ruling out any ethnicity reasons (unless
> > it's a White thing <shrug>). *Totally weird, IOO.

> > -sw

> "Everyone in the group" says resident troll Squertz...he speaks for the group now. It must be nice to be so omnipotent that one cannot see the forest for the trees.
>
> Grow UP Squertz and quit this unending denigrating of others for your own amusement. You must suffer from an inferiority complex and over-compensate for it by being such an ass most of the time. I'm sure there must be a "nice" side to you...please show it more often.- Hide quoted text -

Well, he's right. You look like a confused ass to *everyone in the
group*. At least be like Cook and claim you're doing on principle
(chortle).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote in message

>>> Shrug!! ....and how does that relate to the topic???

>> His reader won't read anything correctly so he blames everyone else
>> because he didn't set it up right. I can read most postings with no
>> problem whatsoever.

> It shows up simply as two paragraphs with nothing to differentiate the
> reply in my newsreader.

I didn't realize that would happen....I'm not savvy about these things.
I have a comprehension problem, age related, I guess. I don't think that's
any reason not to post. If I annoy him, he will have to deal with it. I
have a thick skin. ...Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 27, 2012 10:35:06 AM UTC-7, biig wrote:
> "George" > wrote in message

> >> His reader won't read anything correctly so he blames everyone else
> >> because he didn't set it up right. I can read most postings with no
> >> problem whatsoever.

> > It shows up simply as two paragraphs with nothing to differentiate the
> > reply in my newsreader.

> I didn't realize that would happen....I'm not savvy about these things.
> I have a comprehension problem, age related, I guess. I don't think that's
> any reason not to post. If I annoy him, he will have to deal with it. I
> have a thick skin. ...Sharon

===
Well for Squertzes sake just type or key (if you prefer that term), some separating marks as I have done here. Squertz wants US to conform but if we don't he gets really snarly 'cause he knows we can't reach out and smack him a good one which he sometimes should receive.
===

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 09:09:38 -0800 (PST), Roy >
wrote:

> > ObFood: Do many women (or men for that matter) sit on the toilet
> > backwards - facing the wall? My girlfriend walked into an unlocked
> > stall last night and noticed the woman sitting on the throne facing
> > backwards. Why would somebody do that? The woman looked normal
> > enough when she came back into the dining room and it was an fairly
> > upscale restaurant (Parkside, in Austin). White and spoke American
> > English without an accent - ruling out any ethnicity reasons (unless
> > it's a White thing <shrug>). Totally weird, IOO.
> >
> > -sw

> "Everyone in the group" says resident troll Squertz...he speaks for the group now. It must be nice to be so omnipotent that one cannot see the forest for the trees.
>
> Grow UP Squertz and quit this unending denigrating of others for your own amusement. You must suffer from an inferiority complex and over-compensate for it by being such an ass most of the time. I'm sure there must be a "nice" side to you...please show it more often.

He just wanted to mention that he had/has a girlfriend and that was as
good an excuse as any.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 09:23:10 -0800 (PST), Roy >
wrote:

> On Friday, January 27, 2012 10:03:02 AM UTC-7, George wrote:

> > > His reader won't read anything correctly so he blames everyone else because he didn't set it up right. I can read most postings with no problem whatsoever.

> > It shows up simply as two paragraphs with nothing to differentiate the
> > reply in my newsreader.

> To tell the truth George...that is the way it showed for me BUT the reply was in a DIFFERENT color to signify that it was not from the same author. A good newsreader or browser DOES THAT. Its too bad that the standards set down many years ago are not implemented.

So, this is all about a poster who isn't you? My news reader shows
new post titles in a different color, but the body of those messages
are all the same color. The only way I know who said what is by the
quote markers, so when someone uses a news reader that doesn't insert
them - their reply message is a garbled mess for me. Lack of line
wrapping is bad, but not inserting proper quote markers is even worse
(IMO).

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 12:35:06 -0500, "biig" > wrote:

> I didn't realize that would happen....I'm not savvy about these things.
> I have a comprehension problem, age related, I guess. I don't think that's
> any reason not to post. If I annoy him, he will have to deal with it. I
> have a thick skin. ...Sharon

I've forgotten if you can filter with OE. If you can't - why don't
you pick up the old model of Forte Agent that John Kuthe uses (Free
Agent 1.93) If you like it, you can always upgrade to the paid
version with spell check and filtering. It was $36 the last time I
paid attention and I think future upgrades (if you're into doing that)
are something like $19. At the very least, you'll have a news reader
that quotes and line wraps properly.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 27, 2012 10:56:14 AM UTC-7, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 09:23:10 -0800 (PST), Roy >
> wrote:

> > > It shows up simply as two paragraphs with nothing to differentiate the
> > > reply in my newsreader.

> > To tell the truth George...that is the way it showed for me BUT the reply was in a DIFFERENT color to signify that it was not from the same author.. A good newsreader or browser DOES THAT. Its too bad that the standards set down many years ago are not implemented.

> So, this is all about a poster who isn't you? My news reader shows
> new post titles in a different color, but the body of those messages
> are all the same color. The only way I know who said what is by the
> quote markers, so when someone uses a news reader that doesn't insert
> them - their reply message is a garbled mess for me. Lack of line
> wrapping is bad, but not inserting proper quote markers is even worse
> (IMO).
>
> --
>
> Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
> https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

==
I get your point sf. We only see things from our own perspective. Nearly everything that I read no matter who posts it or with what system or program they use...is readable, albeit some are better than others.

I have a wide-screen which accommodates very well and I don't get all shook up if things don't conform. Ranting and screaming that someone is a dummy or retarded, or slow or whatever might make one feel superior but does not solve anything. We all eat and most cook and that should be paramount in most postings...and a bit of fun and games as well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> >> His reader won't read anything correctly so he blames everyone else
> >> because he didn't set it up right. I can read most postings with no
> >> problem whatsoever.

> > It shows up simply as two paragraphs with nothing to differentiate the
> > reply in my newsreader.

> I didn't realize that would happen....I'm not savvy about these
> things.
> I have a comprehension problem, age related, I guess. I don't think
> that's
> any reason not to post. If I annoy him, he will have to deal with it. I
> have a thick skin. ...Sharon

===
Well for Squertzes sake just type or key (if you prefer that term), some
separating marks as I have done here. Squertz wants US to conform but if we
don't he gets really snarly 'cause he knows we can't reach out and smack him
a good one which he sometimes should receive.
===
Sounds like a good solution...the separating lines (and the smack
..........thanks....Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 09:47:42 -0800 (PST), Roy >
wrote:

> he gets really snarly 'cause he knows we can't reach out and smack him a good one which he sometimes should receive.

Sometimes???

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 14:26:36 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 12:35:06 -0500, biig wrote:

>> I didn't realize that would happen....I'm not savvy about these things.
>> I have a comprehension problem, age related, I guess. I don't think that's
>> any reason not to post. If I annoy him, he will have to deal with it. I
>> have a thick skin. ...Sharon

>I took the time to try and explain it nicely and thoroughly to you so
>you would understand the problem.
>
>Oh well, I tried <shrug>. Good deeds here rarely get congratulated,
>just criticized. It's the nature of RFC. It's why most of us have
>become so jaded over the years.

I've very recently decided it's not worth the time on people who can't
make a post readable. Many people here and in other groups post from
google or use outhouse express and they do just fine. Sometime back a
few regulars from google were having a wrap problem and all three of
them fixed it. Spamtrap1888 uses google and Bob T uses outhouse and
both post perfectly.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Post courtesies was Req: cooking rutabaga in micro

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 14:26:36 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 12:35:06 -0500, biig wrote:

> >> I didn't realize that would happen

> >I took the time to try and explain it nicely and thoroughly to you so
> >you would understand the problem.

> I've very recently decided it's not worth the time on people who can't
> make a post readable. Many people here and in other groups post from
> google or use outhouse express and they do just fine. Sometime back a
> few regulars from google were having a wrap problem and all three of
> them fixed it. Spamtrap1888 uses google and Bob T uses outhouse and
> both post perfectly.

I'm willing to spend a little time. Let me try to summarize the
problems:

1. People who use GoogleGropes don't have a lot of control over what
happens. They use a browser and GG does what it wants. GG seems to
quote correctly, but it throws in some weird header.

2. There's a line wrapping problem with some GG posts. I don't know
why, or how to fix it, so I hope some kind soul will respond. I don't
have a big problem with this, since my client, line wraps incoming posts
so they are readable. They get a little ugly, especially as the quoting
gets deeper and deeper, but I can read them.

3. When Outlook Express (and its relatives) is used to respond to a GG
post, for some reason, it sees that weird header and decides not to
quote at all. The solution is quotefix. I am assuming that the user
can see that the quoting is not correct by just looking. However, since
the user is doing the replying, they know what is their reply and what
is the material they are replying to. Subsequent readers don't know
that. It all looks like one post. The attributions are also at the
same level. I believe that the user can just add their own quote marks
as they reply. That's a big pain, but doing nothing means that the post
is very unclear as to who posted what.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 14:26:36 -0600, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>> >I took the time to try and explain it nicely and thoroughly to you so
>> >you would understand the problem.

>> I've very recently decided it's not worth the time on people who can't
>> make a post readable. Many people here and in other groups post from
>> google or use outhouse express and they do just fine. Sometime back a
>> few regulars from google were having a wrap problem and all three of
>> them fixed it. Spamtrap1888 uses google and Bob T uses outhouse and
>> both post perfectly.

> I'm willing to spend a little time. Let me try to summarize the
> problems:
>
> 1. People who use GoogleGropes don't have a lot of control over what
> happens. They use a browser and GG does what it wants. GG seems to
> quote correctly, but it throws in some weird header.
>
> 2. There's a line wrapping problem with some GG posts. I don't know
> why, or how to fix it, so I hope some kind soul will respond. I don't
> have a big problem with this, since my client, line wraps incoming posts
> so they are readable. They get a little ugly, especially as the quoting
> gets deeper and deeper, but I can read them.
>
> 3. When Outlook Express (and its relatives) is used to respond to a GG
> post, for some reason, it sees that weird header and decides not to
> quote at all. The solution is quotefix. I am assuming that the user
> can see that the quoting is not correct by just looking. However, since
> the user is doing the replying, they know what is their reply and what
> is the material they are replying to. Subsequent readers don't know
> that. It all looks like one post. The attributions are also at the
> same level. I believe that the user can just add their own quote marks
> as they reply. That's a big pain, but doing nothing means that the post
> is very unclear as to who posted what.
>
> --
> Dan Abel
> Petaluma, California USA

Keeping all the above content purposely....I will just say that sw could
have pointed out the error instead of making a snide remark about OE, and I
could have simply apologized for the error. I have already said that I'm
not that savvy about some of these things and have comprehension problems.
So it escalates to a tempest in a teapot. I will continue to read this group
and post when it is appropriate and he can nit pik to his heart's
content......Sharon in Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 28, 2012 3:02:14 PM UTC-7, Sqwertz wrote:

> It's not my job to follow around lame-assed OE posters and give them a
> lecture about how to fix their problems.
>
> -sw

Yes it is your job and you are very good at it.
Ahahahahahahahahhhhaaahhahahaha.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> And you haven't seen nothing yet if you think I'm nit-picking. This is
> NOT nit-picking. It is a major breach of etiquette tghat is certainly
> not limited to my personal expectations. Ask Paul M. Cook for some
> defensive tips - you'll need... something. He's not very good at it,
> but maybe you can come up with better, lame excuses other than being
> ignorant.
>
> -sw

Whatever....Do your worst....Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 28, 6:17*pm, "biig" > wrote:
> > And you haven't seen nothing yet if you think I'm nit-picking. This is
> > NOT nit-picking. *It is a major breach of etiquette tghat is certainly
> > not limited to my personal expectations. *Ask Paul M. Cook for some
> > defensive tips - you'll need... something. *He's not very good at it,
> > but maybe you can come up with better, lame excuses other than being
> > ignorant.

> > -sw

> * *Whatever....Do your worst....Sharon

Why don't you just go away, ****? I'm not sure where you got the idea
that it was okay to stroll on in here and take a big verbal dump.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 28, 5:26*pm, BillyZoom > wrote:
> On Jan 28, 6:17*pm, "biig" > wrote:
>
> > > And you haven't seen nothing yet if you think I'm nit-picking. This is
> > > NOT nit-picking. *It is a major breach of etiquette tghat is certainly
> > > not limited to my personal expectations. *Ask Paul M. Cook for some
> > > defensive tips - you'll need... something. *He's not very good at it,
> > > but maybe you can come up with better, lame excuses other than being
> > > ignorant.

> > > -sw

> > * *Whatever....Do your worst....Sharon

> Why don't you just go away, ****? I'm not sure where you got the idea
> that it was okay to stroll on in here and take a big verbal dump.

Imitating you, BillyZoom?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > And you haven't seen nothing yet if you think I'm nit-picking. This
> > is NOT nit-picking. It is a major breach of etiquette tghat is
> > certainly not limited to my personal expectations. Ask Paul M.
> > Cook for some defensive tips - you'll need... something. He's not
> > very good at it, but maybe you can come up with better, lame
> > excuses other than being ignorant.
> >
> > -sw

> Whatever....Do your worst....Sharon

Hi Sharon,

If you want something that works well and feels like OE mostly but has
some frills, take a look at XanaNews. It's freeware (legal to download
and run in all countries). I added it here as I upgraded computers and
the newer OS had Livemail (WIN7) which doesn't add the '>' markers and
was driving me batty.

I kept my newsgroup feed in 'Livemail' and put in a dual feed to
XanaNews as I tested it all out. I even posted here for some to check
and everyone was happy though it tends to add a space between '> >'
markers as you will see above. Once i was happy, I removed the
newsgroup feed from 'LiveMail' (which I still use for regular email)
and use this for my newsgroup setups.

XanaNews has lots of frills I haven't setup but it worked right away in
default mode for everything I really needed. It didn't have a
'learning curve' like so many of the other programs that have probably
been suggested to you (some of which I never could get setup right and
I'm a fairly geeky sort).

If you would like to try something to shut these guys up, my suggestion
would be to google for XanaNews, install it, and leave your normal
feeds exactly where they are as you play with adding a group to the new
software and see if you like it. You just enter your existing feed site
to XanaNews and add 1 or 2 groups. If you are geeky, you can download
just the most recent 500 or so messages but by default it will grab all
at your access site's archives which can take a little time. When that
is done, go to tools and message base management and the default will
allow you to wipe anything over 7 days old.

The one thing XanaNews doesn't have is the ability to just tap the
'delete' key when viewing a message. It has a different system there
that can do it but its not as easy. It does have a better system for
removing posts from folks you do not want to see again (I love the
name, 'Bozo Bin').

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
news
> biig wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> > And you haven't seen nothing yet if you think I'm nit-picking. This
>> > is NOT nit-picking. It is a major breach of etiquette tghat is
>> > certainly not limited to my personal expectations. Ask Paul M.
>> > Cook for some defensive tips - you'll need... something. He's not
>> > very good at it, but maybe you can come up with better, lame
>> > excuses other than being ignorant.
>> >
>> > -sw

>> Whatever....Do your worst....Sharon

> Hi Sharon,
>
> If you want something that works well and feels like OE mostly but has
> some frills, take a look at XanaNews. It's freeware (legal to download
> and run in all countries). I added it here as I upgraded computers and
> the newer OS had Livemail (WIN7) which doesn't add the '>' markers and
> was driving me batty.
>
> I kept my newsgroup feed in 'Livemail' and put in a dual feed to
> XanaNews as I tested it all out. I even posted here for some to check
> and everyone was happy though it tends to add a space between '> >'
> markers as you will see above. Once i was happy, I removed the
> newsgroup feed from 'LiveMail' (which I still use for regular email)
> and use this for my newsgroup setups.
>
> XanaNews has lots of frills I haven't setup but it worked right away in
> default mode for everything I really needed. It didn't have a
> 'learning curve' like so many of the other programs that have probably
> been suggested to you (some of which I never could get setup right and
> I'm a fairly geeky sort).
>
> If you would like to try something to shut these guys up, my suggestion
> would be to google for XanaNews, install it, and leave your normal
> feeds exactly where they are as you play with adding a group to the new
> software and see if you like it. You just enter your existing feed site
> to XanaNews and add 1 or 2 groups. If you are geeky, you can download
> just the most recent 500 or so messages but by default it will grab all
> at your access site's archives which can take a little time. When that
> is done, go to tools and message base management and the default will
> allow you to wipe anything over 7 days old.
>
> The one thing XanaNews doesn't have is the ability to just tap the
> 'delete' key when viewing a message. It has a different system there
> that can do it but its not as easy. It does have a better system for
> removing posts from folks you do not want to see again (I love the
> name, 'Bozo Bin').

Hi Carol. I am lucky in that my win7 is an early version and i don't have
a problem with WLM. I have saved your post in case I have to upgrade or
get a new version.

Thanks for that.

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>"cshenk" > wrote in message
> > biig wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> >> Whatever....Do your worst....Sharon

> > Hi Sharon,
> >
> > If you want something that works well and feels like OE mostly but
> > has some frills, take a look at XanaNews. It's freeware (legal to
> > download and run in all countries). I added it here as I upgraded
> > computers and the newer OS had Livemail (WIN7) which doesn't add
> > the '>' markers and was driving me batty.

(snipped)

> Hi Carol. I am lucky in that my win7 is an early version and i
> don't have a problem with WLM. I have saved your post in case I
> have to upgrade or get a new version.
>
> Thanks for that.

Welcome! Some of the other stuff suggested to me was like hitting a
knat with a nuke from high orbit. I just wanted a simple and easy to
use program that was free. My *impression* is several have at least
looked at the other suggested programs and given up in disgust over
them being a total PITA to figure out and setup.

I had XanaNews up and running in less than 10 minutes. Over the next
2-3 days I added frills like colorized bits to show threads I was in
and such but the work was minimal to get it running. The frills are
nice, but it works fine without them right away on default.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 10:22:37 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

> > Whatever....Do your worst....Sharon

> Hi Sharon,
>
> If you want something that works well and feels like OE mostly but has
> some frills, take a look at XanaNews. It's freeware (legal to download
> and run in all countries). I added it here as I upgraded computers and
> the newer OS had Livemail (WIN7) which doesn't add the '>' markers and
> was driving me batty.
>
> I kept my newsgroup feed in 'Livemail' and put in a dual feed to
> XanaNews as I tested it all out. I even posted here for some to check
> and everyone was happy though it tends to add a space between '> >'
> markers as you will see above.

Mine doesn't. The space was added by me because I like it that way.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 11:18:03 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

> Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> > Thanks for that.

> Welcome! Some of the other stuff suggested to me was like hitting a
> knat with a nuke from high orbit. I just wanted a simple and easy to
> use program that was free. My *impression* is several have at least
> looked at the other suggested programs and given up in disgust over
> them being a total PITA to figure out and setup.
>
> I had XanaNews up and running in less than 10 minutes. Over the next
> 2-3 days I added frills like colorized bits to show threads I was in
> and such but the work was minimal to get it running. The frills are
> nice, but it works fine without them right away on default.

Aha, so it's not just me. I've looked at other news readers that have
been suggested and decided I wasn't techie enough to run them... but
if your impression is the same, it probably wasn't me after all - it
was the program. Can you choose how many panes you want (I use the
single pane view)?

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cshenk" > wrote:

> biig wrote in rec.food.cooking:

[snip]

> Hi Sharon,
>
> If you want something that works well and feels like OE mostly but has
> some frills, take a look at XanaNews. It's freeware (legal to download
> and run in all countries). I added it here as I upgraded computers and
> the newer OS had Livemail (WIN7) which doesn't add the '>' markers and
> was driving me batty.

Thanks, Carol. I like seeing people being helpful on this group. It
isn't the end of the world if posts are missing quote markers, but it
does make it confusing.

I'm happy with my news client, and don't have any problems, but that
isn't useful for most on this group, because it only runs on a Mac!

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 29, 4:56*pm, Dan Abel > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *"cshenk" > wrote:
> > biig wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> [snip]
>
> > Hi Sharon,

> > If you want something that works well and feels like OE mostly but has
> > some frills, take a look at XanaNews. *It's freeware (legal to download
> > and run in all countries). *I added it here as I upgraded computers and
> > the newer OS had Livemail (WIN7) which doesn't add the '>' markers and
> > was driving me batty.

> Thanks, Carol. *I like seeing people being helpful on this group. *It
> isn't the end of the world if posts are missing quote markers, but it
> does make it confusing.
>
> I'm happy with my news client, and don't have any problems, but that
> isn't useful for most on this group, because it only runs on a Mac!
>
> --
> Dan Abel
> Petaluma, California USA

I'd like to introduce you to Paul M Cook. A man (!?!) who not only
purposely screws up quoting, he defends it! Not to mention the freqent
lies he tells. He once claimed to have gotten a pizza that was frozen,
but only in the middle! How this is possible, he never explained. He
got so angry about me challenging it, he contacted my ISP to try to
get me thrown off. I'm not sure you can get much lower than that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 29, 2012 3:46:09 PM UTC-7, BillyZoom wrote:
> On Jan 29, 4:56*pm, Dan Abel > wrote:
> > In article >,
> >
> > *"cshenk" > wrote:
> > > biig wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > [snip]
> >
> > > Hi Sharon,

> > > If you want something that works well and feels like OE mostly but has
> > > some frills, take a look at XanaNews. *It's freeware (legal to download
> > > and run in all countries). *I added it here as I upgraded computers and
> > > the newer OS had Livemail (WIN7) which doesn't add the '>' markers and
> > > was driving me batty.

> > Thanks, Carol. *I like seeing people being helpful on this group. *It
> > isn't the end of the world if posts are missing quote markers, but it
> > does make it confusing.
> >
> > I'm happy with my news client, and don't have any problems, but that
> > isn't useful for most on this group, because it only runs on a Mac!
> >
> > --
> > Dan Abel
> > Petaluma, California USA
> >

> I'd like to introduce you to Paul M Cook. A man (!?!) who not only
> purposely screws up quoting, he defends it! Not to mention the freqent
> lies he tells. He once claimed to have gotten a pizza that was frozen,
> but only in the middle! How this is possible, he never explained. He
> got so angry about me challenging it, he contacted my ISP to try to
> get me thrown off. I'm not sure you can get much lower than that.

I'm sure that you will get over it once you wipe away
the tears and blow you little nosey, wosey.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 11:18:03 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> > >
> > > Thanks for that.

> > Welcome! Some of the other stuff suggested to me was like hitting a
> > knat with a nuke from high orbit. I just wanted a simple and easy
> > to use program that was free. My impression is several have at
> > least looked at the other suggested programs and given up in
> > disgust over them being a total PITA to figure out and setup.
> >
> > I had XanaNews up and running in less than 10 minutes. Over the
> > next 2-3 days I added frills like colorized bits to show threads I
> > was in and such but the work was minimal to get it running. The
> > frills are nice, but it works fine without them right away on
> > default.
> >

> Aha, so it's not just me. I've looked at other news readers that have
> been suggested and decided I wasn't techie enough to run them... but
> if your impression is the same, it probably wasn't me after all - it
> was the program. Can you choose how many panes you want (I use the
> single pane view)?

Yes, and size them. I like a preview pane of the titles and a wider
one with the message i am viewing. Drag and shift sizes as you like.