Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default pizza dough made easy

I love the texture of her dough! Other than the hand kneading (not my
cup of tea), it looks very doable. Think I'll try it soon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2C6v...eature=related

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/25/2011 10:19 AM, heyjoe wrote:
> IMO, from the very beginning, her dough looks dry and then she continues
> to add "bench" flour to prevent sticking. Methinks, too much flour.
> But it just goes to show how forgiving pizza dough is, as she got very
> good looking results.

I made another pizza dough and this one turned out dry like you
describe. It was very good pizza at the end but it was so tough that I
lost a filling. It was hard to roll the dough out as thin as I wanted
it. I think if it was thinner, it wouldn't have broke my tooth.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 09:19:54 -0500, heyjoe >
wrote:

> Anecdotal stories be damned, there is no need to proof dry yeast these
> days. Additionally, you can use half the amount of yeast she uses in
> the video (yes, this will increase rise times, but rising time is
> determined by the dough - not the clock).

> Not sure what the following technique is called (pre-ferment?), but it
> helps hydrate the flour and speed gluten development. Put the half of
> the flour and all of the yeast in a bowl. Heat all the water to
> 125-130°F. Add to bowl and stir to mix. Cover and let stand in a draft
> free, warm place for 30 minutes. Then proceed.

I like to proof my yeast in 110-115° water. If you don't - I'm not
going to preach that you're wrong. It's just a different method. My
way works for me and your way works for you. I liked that the woman
in the

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Anecdotal stories be damned, there is no need to proof dry yeast these
> days. Additionally, you can use half the amount of yeast she uses in
> the video (yes, this will increase rise times, but rising time is
> determined by the dough - not the clock).

> Not sure what the following technique is called (pre-ferment?), but it
> helps hydrate the flour and speed gluten development. Put the half of
> the flour and all of the yeast in a bowl. Heat all the water to
> 125-130°F. Add to bowl and stir to mix. Cover and let stand in a draft
> free, warm place for 30 minutes. Then proceed.

Sorry you felt the need to scoff at her method, but the proof is in
the pudding. Her finished dough was perfect.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 09:19:54 -0500, heyjoe >
> wrote:
>
>> Anecdotal stories be damned, there is no need to proof dry yeast these
>> days. Additionally, you can use half the amount of yeast she uses in
>> the video (yes, this will increase rise times, but rising time is
>> determined by the dough - not the clock).

>> Not sure what the following technique is called (pre-ferment?), but it
>> helps hydrate the flour and speed gluten development. Put the half of
>> the flour and all of the yeast in a bowl. Heat all the water to
>> 125-130°F. Add to bowl and stir to mix. Cover and let stand in a draft
>> free, warm place for 30 minutes. Then proceed.
>>

> Sorry you felt the need to scoff at her method, but the proof is in
> the pudding. Her finished dough was perfect.

It is too dry. Too much flour went into the dough ball on the board. That
flour did not rise, and that would contribute to the stiffness.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 9/25/2011 10:19 AM, heyjoe wrote:
>> IMO, from the very beginning, her dough looks dry and then she continues
>> to add "bench" flour to prevent sticking. Methinks, too much flour.
>> But it just goes to show how forgiving pizza dough is, as she got very
>> good looking results.

> I made another pizza dough and this one turned out dry like you describe.
> It was very good pizza at the end but it was so tough that I lost a
> filling. It was hard to roll the dough out as thin as I wanted it. I
> think if it was thinner, it wouldn't have broke my tooth.

You musn't roll pizza dough. You have to "throw it" like you see in pizza
parlors. This abuses the dough less, and preserves the "crunchy" crust you'r
looking for.

Kent, a pizza "junkie"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"heyjoe" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 21:04:58 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>> I love the texture of her dough! Other than the hand kneading (not my
>> cup of tea), it looks very doable. Think I'll try it soon.
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2C6v...eature=related

> IMO, from the very beginning, her dough looks dry and then she continues
> to add "bench" flour to prevent sticking. Methinks, too much flour.
> But it just goes to show how forgiving pizza dough is, as she got very
> good looking results.
>
> Anecdotal stories be damned, there is no need to proof dry yeast these
> days. Additionally, you can use half the amount of yeast she uses in
> the video (yes, this will increase rise times, but rising time is
> determined by the dough - not the clock).
>
> Not sure what the following technique is called (pre-ferment?), but it
> helps hydrate the flour and speed gluten development. Put the half of
> the flour and all of the yeast in a bowl. Heat all the water to
> 125-130°F. Add to bowl and stir to mix. Cover and let stand in a draft
> free, warm place for 30 minutes. Then proceed.

Do you think a preferment for only 30 minutes makes a difference? I usually
do the above, and let it rise all day, or overnight in the frig.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 21:58:52 -0700, "Kent" >
wrote:

> It is too dry. Too much flour went into the dough ball on the board. That
> flour did not rise, and that would contribute to the stiffness.

Obviously, I disagree.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.