Old 16-12-2006, 03:46 PM posted to alt.recipes,alt.food.recipes,rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

Default Easy home-made pizza (with picture). Eat your heart out.

First, here are the results (broadband/DSL recommended):

http://i10.tinypic.com/2eklx6f.jpg

The pizza peel is also homemade. I made it from scrap wood and coated in
shellac. I have it for about 10 years.

Dough for a 13"-15" pizza

3/4 cups of water.
1/2 tsp yeast
1/2 tsp sugar (sucrose)
about 2 cups of KA white flour.

Add yeast and sugar to warm water to dissolve.

I use a cuisinart to knead the dough. The dough should be just slightly
sticky.

Let dough rise is a slightly oily pot for about and hour or two.

Preheat oven to 550 degrees with pizza stone in oven.

I use Tuttorosso crushed tomatoes with basil for the pizza sauce. I
found it a lot less expensive (about $1 per 28oz can) and much better
tasting than commerical "pizza" sauce.

I use Sargento mozzarella & provolone. Every now and then my supermarket
has them on sale for half price so I stock on them.

I roll the dough on a lightly dusted pizza peel. I measure the dough
out for my pizza stone; a 14" stone bought from Bed & Bath for $15. I
wish I still had my commercial oven where I used to make 20" pizzas.

Add a little oregano and or garlic powder to the top of the cheese.

Slide the pizza onto heated stone in oven.

Carefully watch the pizza. It can go from delicious to burned in a few
minutes. When the bottom the crust is slightly brown, I remove the pizza.

My pizza costs me about $2 to $3 and we greatly prefer it to the local
salty greasy "pizza". If we were in NYC, then that would be another matter.

Old 16-12-2006, 04:39 PM posted to alt.recipes,alt.food.recipes,rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

"John" ha scritto nel messaggio
First, here are the results (broadband/DSL recommended):

http://i10.tinypic.com/2eklx6f.jpg

Gnam Gnam! It seems very good!

thank you for this pic!

--
Merry Christmas
Pandora

Old 16-12-2006, 07:12 PM posted to alt.recipes,alt.food.recipes,rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Your picture looks very nice. Some time ago a breadmaker friend told me not
to roll
pizza dough, but to stretch it by hand, coupled with the occasional toss
into the air. I started doing this and I not do it routinely. The finished
crust has an airy delicacy at the edges, and somehow the bottom remains
crispier than the rolled. I'm guessing you are rising for a long time with
only 1/2 tsp yeast.

I've been doing what you do with sauce for some time. Trader Jose's has 28oz
Roma tomatoes for about a buck a can. Process it, season it, and that's it.
Some time ago the San Francisco Chronicle had a taste test on canned
tomatoes, and Trader Joe's won, over other very expensive ones.

Making pizza is a mental illness, albeit an enjoyable one.

Kent

Old 16-12-2006, 09:05 PM posted to alt.food.recipes,rec.food.baking

John wrote:

My pizza costs me about $2 to $3 and we greatly prefer it to the local
salty greasy "pizza". If we were in NYC, then that would be another matter.

John,

I'm a Jersey Girl living in way-the-heck-south Texas, about 15 miles
from the Gulf of Mexico and 6 miles from the Rio Grande, the border with
the country of Mexico. Finding decent pizza here is impossible.

Prior to settling here, we lived and traveled in our RVs for 9 years. We
never found pizza comparable to the Northeast.

I make my own pizza, too. My recipe is pretty much the same as yours. I
use the Cuisineart to mix the dough, too. It is definitely worth the
wait for the dough to rise. Those who don't know *real* pizza aren't
missing anything and will eat "corporate" pizza and think it's just
fine. I make my sauce from tomato puree. The only prepared pizza sauce
that is a little palatable is Ragu Pizza Quick.

I also use Sargento's cheeses because there isn't much choice here in
Mexico Texas. I freshly grate Parmasano Reggiano and Locatelli Romano on
top of the mozzarella. Local groceries do carry the good imported
cheeses as does Sam's Club.
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Old 16-12-2006, 10:50 PM posted to alt.recipes,alt.food.recipes,rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking
-L. -L. is offline

John wrote:
First, here are the results (broadband/DSL recommended):

http://i10.tinypic.com/2eklx6f.jpg

Sigh. John, hon. If you are going to post a photo of a pizza in this
newsgroup you have to follow the Cabal-approved format. The header
should merely read "I made a pizza".

HTH and HAND,

-L.

Old 20-12-2006, 09:46 PM posted to alt.recipes,alt.food.recipes,rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

It looks scrumptious. What kind of King Arthur flour did you use?

I recently tried some of their Italian-Style Flour for a pizza. It
makes a much "looser" dough. A bit harder to control than one made
from all-purpose or bread flour.

Do you place your stone on the bottom of your oven?

In a smaller oven, I place pizza, on a metal pan, directly onto the
bottom.

Old 21-12-2006, 12:23 PM posted to alt.recipes,alt.food.recipes,rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

John wrote:
First, here are the results (broadband/DSL recommended):

http://i10.tinypic.com/2eklx6f.jpg

snip

That pizza looks yummy!! Your peel also looks professional and you hand
made it?!?

I see you obtained good results from rolling your dough. I normally
pinch the crust out then stretch it. Sometimes i will spin it in the
air too because it gives a nice round crust. Always i stretch the
center with my knuckles to thin it out. Then i let it rise for a few
minutes, this combined with oven spring gives just a thick enough crust
to be both chewy and crispy.

Old 21-12-2006, 09:48 PM posted to alt.recipes,alt.food.recipes,rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

John wrote:
snip
Another post was started by someone claiming your pizza was dull...in
his opinion. Disregard those ranting comments, your pizza is not dull
and it looks better than most of my attempts. Im not sure why he felt
the urge to start a new thread just to claim yours was dull and then
link to his own. Others stepped in and supported you.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:16 AM posted to alt.recipes,alt.food.recipes,rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

Cindy wrote:
At the risk of sounding stupid, what is "KA white flour?"
Cindy

King Arthur Flour - http://www.kingarthurflour.com/

...fred

Old 10-02-2007, 04:34 PM posted to alt.recipes,alt.food.recipes,rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 10:05:05 -0600, Alan wrote:

As anyone who cooks much knows, making pizza is very easy!

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 10:46:44 -0500, John
wrote:

Well, much easier than thinking, anyway, since it took you almost two months to
comment on this thread, and inanity is the best you could do.

-- Larry
Old 10-02-2007, 10:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

[bunch of fake newsgroups snipped]

Alan wrote:

As anyone who cooks much knows, making pizza is very easy!

Nonsense. Anyone who knows anything at all about real, as distinct from
any imitation, pizza, also knows that it is all but impossible to make
it at home, lacking the necessary wood-fired oven with its very high
temperatures and the very particular skills required to form and bake
anything even resembling the real thing. It is not accidental that real
pizzaiolos in Italy earn quite as much as a chef of a very respected
full-scale restaurant. That is why a pizza in a serious Italian
pizzeria costs so much, in spite of the low-costs materials required to
make it - the high salary of the pizzaiolo makes it impossible to price
it any lower. Ever been in Italy? Ever seen how real pizza is made?

A generic flat-bread pie, is, on the the other hand, very easy to make
indeed.

Victor
Old 11-02-2007, 10:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

Alan wrote:

Have a pizza stone in your oven.

Turn the oven on high before you start assembling the crust
and the ingredients, so that stone is HOT before you put the
pizza on it.

Nonsense.

You can fill your oven full of stones and rocks and it still won't be
anywhere near 485C (905F) required to make traditional pizza.

And I will bet anything that, if you lack years of practice with a real
pizzaiolo, you won't be able to make anything even resembling
traditional pizza crust which is always stretched by hand (no rolling
pin is ever used) and which should be no thicker than 0.3 cm (0.12 in)
in the centre and 1-2 cm (0.4-0.8 in) at the edges, with the pizza never
exceeding 35 cm (14 in) in diameter. The baking time should not exceed
90 seconds. The baked pizza should still remains so elastic that it can
be rolled into a tube.

You can read all about it and more in Gazetta Ufficiale of 24th May,
2004.

Easy, indeed!

Victor