Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Potato Salad ala Bagna Cauda

I wanted to take a potato salad to a potluck I attended at the park
last week. I didn't want to take a mayonnaise dressed potato salad and
have it sitting around on a hot day, so I got busy looking for
non-mayo ideas for dressing a potato salad.
After rambling through a couple of cooking magazines I found the
perfect one in the July-August issue of Food Network Magazine. The
magazine has a little "fly out" booklet with 50 great potato salad
ideas and I snagged one, the Bagna Cauda idea.

It's delicious and was a really big hit at the picnic.

Step by step and photos on my blog if you are interested.
http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...gna-cauda.html

http://tinyurl.com/3ohutln

Here's the recipe I used.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Bagna Cauda

salads/salad dressings, vegetables

1 pound red potatoes; boiled and sliced
1/3 cup olive oil
6 anchovy fillets
4 cloves garlic; smashed
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup chopped scallions
1 tablespoon chopped oregano
juice and zest of one lemon

In the olive oil, cook the anchovies, garlic and red pepper flakes for
5 minutes. Then add the parelsy, scallions, oregano the zest and juice
of one lemon.
Drizzle over 1 pound of boiled sliced red potatoes.

koko's notes;
For the potatoes I used small white potatoes, boiled and chunked.
It didn't taste spicy enough for my taste so I amped up the anchovies
and red pepper flakes.

Notes: Food Network Magazine July-Aug '11

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 14:43:25 -0700, wrote:

>I wanted to take a potato salad to a potluck I attended at the park
>last week. I didn't want to take a mayonnaise dressed potato salad and
>have it sitting around on a hot day, so I got busy looking for
>non-mayo ideas for dressing a potato salad.
>After rambling through a couple of cooking magazines I found the
>perfect one in the July-August issue of Food Network Magazine. The
>magazine has a little "fly out" booklet with 50 great potato salad
>ideas and I snagged one, the Bagna Cauda idea.
>
>It's delicious and was a really big hit at the picnic.
>
>Step by step and photos on my blog if you are interested.

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...gna-cauda.html

>http://tinyurl.com/3ohutln
>
>Here's the recipe I used.
>
>@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
>Bagna Cauda
>
>salads/salad dressings, vegetables
>
>1 pound red potatoes; boiled and sliced
>1/3 cup olive oil
>6 anchovy fillets
>4 cloves garlic; smashed
>1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
>1/4 cup chopped parsley
>1/4 cup chopped scallions
>1 tablespoon chopped oregano
> juice and zest of one lemon
>
>In the olive oil, cook the anchovies, garlic and red pepper flakes for
>5 minutes. Then add the parelsy, scallions, oregano the zest and juice
>of one lemon.
>Drizzle over 1 pound of boiled sliced red potatoes.
>
>koko's notes;
>For the potatoes I used small white potatoes, boiled and chunked.
>It didn't taste spicy enough for my taste so I amped up the anchovies
>and red pepper flakes.

Looks good but for one pound of potatoes it wasn't worth dirtying a
bowl... and you peeled them, so there was even less, wouldn't fill a
cavity... and to me all that dressing looks sufficent for three pounds
of potatoes. I wouldn't consider cooking one pound of potatoes for
anything... I typically use an entire five pound bag, may reserve the
two largest for baked... I like to make plenty for left overs, potato
salad tastes even better the next day... if it was worth making at all
then make more than one serving. I can't believe that anyone goes to
the trouble of making potato salad with just one measly pound of
spuds... normal folks buy that little bit at the deli.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 5, 7:12*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 14:43:25 -0700, wrote:
>
>> 1 pound of boiled sliced red potatoes.

> >koko's notes;
> >For the potatoes I used small white potatoes, boiled and chunked.
> >It didn't taste spicy enough for my taste so I amped up the anchovies
> >and red pepper flakes.

> Looks good but for one pound of potatoes it wasn't worth dirtying a
> bowl... and you peeled them, so there was even less, wouldn't fill a
> cavity... and to me all that dressing looks sufficent for three pounds
> of potatoes. *I wouldn't consider cooking one pound of potatoes for
> anything.

I'm agreeing again with Sheldon. I would not have turned on my stove
and dirtied a pot for one pound of potatoes even though it was a
potluck at the park and others were bringing food. With such a small
amount probably no more than 3 got to sample your effort.
Experienced Member

Delicious recipe! It's make me hungry I will try this soon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 20:12:46 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 14:43:25 -0700, wrote:
>

>>I wanted to take a potato salad to a potluck I attended at the park
>>last week. I didn't want to take a mayonnaise dressed potato salad and
>>have it sitting around on a hot day, so I got busy looking for
>>non-mayo ideas for dressing a potato salad.
>>After rambling through a couple of cooking magazines I found the
>>perfect one in the July-August issue of Food Network Magazine. The
>>magazine has a little "fly out" booklet with 50 great potato salad
>>ideas and I snagged one, the Bagna Cauda idea.
>>
>>It's delicious and was a really big hit at the picnic.
>>
>>Step by step and photos on my blog if you are interested.

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...gna-cauda.html

>>http://tinyurl.com/3ohutln
>>
>>Here's the recipe I used.
>>
>>@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>>
>>Bagna Cauda
>>
>>salads/salad dressings, vegetables
>>
>>1 pound red potatoes; boiled and sliced
>>1/3 cup olive oil
>>6 anchovy fillets
>>4 cloves garlic; smashed
>>1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
>>1/4 cup chopped parsley
>>1/4 cup chopped scallions
>>1 tablespoon chopped oregano
>> juice and zest of one lemon
>>
>>In the olive oil, cook the anchovies, garlic and red pepper flakes for
>>5 minutes. Then add the parelsy, scallions, oregano the zest and juice
>>of one lemon.
>>Drizzle over 1 pound of boiled sliced red potatoes.
>>
>>koko's notes;
>>For the potatoes I used small white potatoes, boiled and chunked.
>>It didn't taste spicy enough for my taste so I amped up the anchovies
>>and red pepper flakes.

> Looks good but for one pound of potatoes it wasn't worth dirtying a
> bowl... and you peeled them, so there was even less, wouldn't fill a
> cavity... and to me all that dressing looks sufficent for three pounds
> of potatoes. I wouldn't consider cooking one pound of potatoes for
> anything... I typically use an entire five pound bag, may reserve the
> two largest for baked... I like to make plenty for left overs, potato
> salad tastes even better the next day... if it was worth making at all
> then make more than one serving. I can't believe that anyone goes to
> the trouble of making potato salad with just one measly pound of
> spuds... normal folks buy that little bit at the deli.

just how much ****ing potato salad do your cats eat?

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:
> I wanted to take a potato salad to a potluck I attended at the park
> last week. I didn't want to take a mayonnaise dressed potato salad and
> have it sitting around on a hot day, so I got busy looking for
> non-mayo ideas for dressing a potato salad.
> After rambling through a couple of cooking magazines I found the
> perfect one in the July-August issue of Food Network Magazine. The
> magazine has a little "fly out" booklet with 50 great potato salad
> ideas and I snagged one, the Bagna Cauda idea.
>
> It's delicious and was a really big hit at the picnic.
>
> Step by step and photos on my blog if you are interested.
> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...gna-cauda.html
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3ohutln
>
> Here's the recipe I used.
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Bagna Cauda
>
> salads/salad dressings, vegetables
>
> 1 pound red potatoes; boiled and sliced
> 1/3 cup olive oil
> 6 anchovy fillets
> 4 cloves garlic; smashed
> 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
> 1/4 cup chopped parsley
> 1/4 cup chopped scallions
> 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
> juice and zest of one lemon
>
> In the olive oil, cook the anchovies, garlic and red pepper flakes for
> 5 minutes. Then add the parelsy, scallions, oregano the zest and juice
> of one lemon.
> Drizzle over 1 pound of boiled sliced red potatoes.
>
> koko's notes;
> For the potatoes I used small white potatoes, boiled and chunked.
> It didn't taste spicy enough for my taste so I amped up the anchovies
> and red pepper flakes.
>
> Notes: Food Network Magazine July-Aug '11
>

> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.87 **
>
> koko
> --
> Food is our common ground, a universal experience
> James Beard
>
> www.kokoscornerblog.com
>
> Natural Watkins Spices
> www.apinchofspices.com

A trick a restaurant friend taught me for cooking potatoes when you have
more time than effort to spend: Cover with cold salted water, bring to a
rolling boil, let boil for one minute, cover pot, turn off the heat, and go
do something else. By the time the water is cool enough to handle the
potatoes, they will be done just right, not over or under cooked. They can
then be reheated or sauted. That's how they do it at his restaurant, at any
rate.

I've tried this many times with small unpeeled potatoes, and the result was
always perfect -- not waterlogged as I might have expected. I have not
tried it with large peeled potatoes, which might waterlog more easily.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-09-06, Hackmatack > wrote:

> I've tried this many times with small unpeeled potatoes, and the result was
> always perfect --

Define small and at what elevation. All those general rules mean
nothing to ppl that may live where you don't and buy food unlike
yours.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-09-06, Hackmatack > wrote:

> balls or slightly larger, and the restaurant in question was not located on
> Pike's Peak.

My point, exactly. Not quite Pikes Peak, but 8,000 ft. If you don't
think that has an effect, you are wrong.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 6, 2:51*pm, Hackmatack > wrote:

> A trick a restaurant friend taught me for cooking potatoes when you have
> more time than effort to spend: Cover with cold salted water, bring to a
> rolling boil, let boil for one minute, cover pot, turn off the heat, and go
> do something else. *By the time the water is cool enough to handle the
> potatoes, they will be done just right, not over or under cooked. They can
> then be reheated or sauted. That's how they do it at his restaurant, at any
> rate.
>
> I've tried this many times with small unpeeled potatoes, and the result was
> always perfect -- not waterlogged as I might have expected. *I have not
> tried it with large peeled potatoes, which might waterlog more easily.

Try a steamer insert and you'll not have water logged potatoes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6 Sep 2011 21:00:11 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2011-09-06, Hackmatack > wrote:
>
>> balls or slightly larger, and the restaurant in question was not located on
>> Pike's Peak.

>My point, exactly. Not quite Pikes Peak, but 8,000 ft. If you don't
>think that has an effect, you are wrong.

In my years of spud experience boiling potatoes need careful atention
to forking and plunged into cold water at the exact moment of
doneness, too soon and yoose got pencil erasers, too long yoose got
mush.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ItsJoanNotJoann" > wrote in message
> On Sep 6, 2:51 pm, Hackmatack > wrote:
>>

>> A trick a restaurant friend taught me for cooking potatoes when you have
>> more time than effort to spend: Cover with cold salted water, bring to a
>> rolling boil, let boil for one minute, cover pot, turn off the heat, and
>> go
>> do something else. By the time the water is cool enough to handle the
>> potatoes, they will be done just right, not over or under cooked. They
>> can
>> then be reheated or sauted. That's how they do it at his restaurant, at
>> any
>> rate.
>>
>> I've tried this many times with small unpeeled potatoes, and the result
>> was
>> always perfect -- not waterlogged as I might have expected. I have not
>> tried it with large peeled potatoes, which might waterlog more easily.
>>

> Try a steamer insert and you'll not have water logged potatoes.

I never cook veggies in water. I always steam.

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk