Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Foxfire Books Recipes

The Foxfire Books. 1972. These books have some interesting recipes from
the folks who live in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. I love how
vague they can be. This is like reading one of my grandmother's recipes.
She just assumed everyone knew how long and at what temperature to cook
something.

Brunswick Stew

2 lbs. cooked ground beef
1 lb. cooked ground pork
1 small cooked chicken, chopped
3-4 diced potatoes
1 pint corn (kernels)
1 c. lima beans
2-3 diced carrots
2-3 chopped onions
1 pint tomatoes or tomato juice
chili powder
black pepper and red pepper
Worcestershire sauce

The vegetables may be either raw or canned. Mix everything together and
simmer a long time.

******************
Corn Pones

1 pint corn meal
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbs. lard
milk

Mix together meal, powder and salt. Cut in lard, add enough milk to make a
stiff batter. Form into pones with hands (or drop from the end of a spoon)
and place in greased pan. Bake in a hot oven for about half an hour.
*******************

Molasses Cookies

1 c. brown sugar
1 egg
1 c. molasses
3/4 c. melted butter or lard
1/4 c. boiling water
salt to taste

Add enough flour to roll. Roll, cut out, bake in hot oven.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/31/2011 8:32 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> The Foxfire Books. 1972. These books have some interesting recipes from
> the folks who live in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. I love how
> vague they can be. This is like reading one of my grandmother's recipes.
> She just assumed everyone knew how long and at what temperature to cook
> something.
>
> Brunswick Stew
>
> 2 lbs. cooked ground beef
> 1 lb. cooked ground pork
> 1 small cooked chicken, chopped
> 3-4 diced potatoes
> 1 pint corn (kernels)
> 1 c. lima beans
> 2-3 diced carrots
> 2-3 chopped onions
> 1 pint tomatoes or tomato juice
> chili powder
> black pepper and red pepper
> Worcestershire sauce
>
> The vegetables may be either raw or canned. Mix everything together and
> simmer a long time.

What no squirrel?

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> On 8/31/2011 8:32 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> The Foxfire Books. 1972. These books have some interesting recipes from
>> the folks who live in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. I love how
>> vague they can be. This is like reading one of my grandmother's recipes.
>> She just assumed everyone knew how long and at what temperature to cook
>> something.
>>
>> Brunswick Stew

cook stew at a low simmer, until is done. You need a cookbook to tell you
that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pico Rico tagged on:

>> On 8/31/2011 8:32 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> The Foxfire Books. 1972. These books have some interesting recipes from
>>> the folks who live in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. I love how
>>> vague they can be. This is like reading one of my grandmother's recipes.
>>> She just assumed everyone knew how long and at what temperature to cook
>>> something.
>>>
>>> Brunswick Stew

> cook stew at a low simmer, until is done. You need a cookbook to tell you
> that?

If you use canned vegetables as the recipe suggests, everything is *already*
done, since you start off with cooked meat. That doesn't look like any
"real" Brunswick stew recipe that I've ever seen. In fact, it looks like it
came straight off the set of "Semi-Homemade".

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> Pico Rico tagged on:

>> cook stew at a low simmer, until is done. You need a cookbook to tell
>> you that?

> If you use canned vegetables as the recipe suggests, everything is
> *already* done, since you start off with cooked meat. That doesn't look
> like any "real" Brunswick stew recipe that I've ever seen. In fact, it
> looks like it came straight off the set of "Semi-Homemade".

the recipe was uninspiring for sure. I was commenting only on the OP's need
for cooking instructions for stew.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pico Rico" > wrote in message

> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
>> On 8/31/2011 8:32 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> The Foxfire Books. 1972. These books have some interesting recipes from
>>> the folks who live in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. I love how
>>> vague they can be. This is like reading one of my grandmother's recipes.
>>> She just assumed everyone knew how long and at what temperature to cook
>>> something.
>>>
>>> Brunswick Stew

> cook stew at a low simmer, until is done. You need a cookbook to tell you
> that?

I was just making a general observation as was written in the book. Of
course I don't need a cookbook to tell me that.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> On 8/31/2011 8:32 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> The Foxfire Books. 1972. These books have some interesting recipes from
>> the folks who live in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. I love how
>> vague they can be. This is like reading one of my grandmother's recipes.
>> She just assumed everyone knew how long and at what temperature to cook
>> something.
>>
>> Brunswick Stew
>>
>> 2 lbs. cooked ground beef
>> 1 lb. cooked ground pork
>> 1 small cooked chicken, chopped
>> 3-4 diced potatoes
>> 1 pint corn (kernels)
>> 1 c. lima beans
>> 2-3 diced carrots
>> 2-3 chopped onions
>> 1 pint tomatoes or tomato juice
>> chili powder
>> black pepper and red pepper
>> Worcestershire sauce
>>
>> The vegetables may be either raw or canned. Mix everything together and
>> simmer a long time.

> What no squirrel?
>

> James Silverton, Potomac

I'm sure if I dig into the other Foxfire books I'll find recipes for
squirrel and even possum

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 08:32:59 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>The Foxfire Books. 1972.

*Begun* in 1972. [or thereabouts] I just ran across my set in the
attic earlier this morning. I think I have 6-7. I looked on
Amazon to see what their dates were & it looks like they revived the
series! I'm missing a few. Should probably buy them so when the
apocalypse comes I'm ready. [I've got the one that builds a still-- so
I guess I could just from there and barter.<g>]

>These books have some interesting recipes from
>the folks who live in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. I love how
>vague they can be. This is like reading one of my grandmother's recipes.
>She just assumed everyone knew how long and at what temperature to cook
>something.

I found them very informative & great reading. not to mention what a
great idea it was to introduce teens to *old* people and their ways--
and record those ways for posterity.

>Brunswick Stew
>
>2 lbs. cooked ground beef
>1 lb. cooked ground pork
>1 small cooked chicken, chopped
>3-4 diced potatoes
>1 pint corn (kernels)
>1 c. lima beans
>2-3 diced carrots
>2-3 chopped onions
>1 pint tomatoes or tomato juice
>chili powder
>black pepper and red pepper
>Worcestershire sauce
>
>The vegetables may be either raw or canned. Mix everything together and
>simmer a long time.
>
>******************
>Corn Pones
>
>1 pint corn meal
>1/2 tsp. salt
>1 tsp. baking powder
>1 Tbs. lard
>milk
>
>Mix together meal, powder and salt. Cut in lard, add enough milk to make a
>stiff batter. Form into pones with hands (or drop from the end of a spoon)
>and place in greased pan. Bake in a hot oven for about half an hour.
>*******************
>
>Molasses Cookies
>
>1 c. brown sugar
>1 egg
>1 c. molasses
>3/4 c. melted butter or lard
>1/4 c. boiling water
>salt to taste
>
>Add enough flour to roll. Roll, cut out, bake in hot oven.

Well-- I might be a bit more specific on the cookie recipe-- but the
others could come from my notes. I guess I *should* try harder-- but
words are expensive.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 08:32:59 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>>The Foxfire Books. 1972.

> *Begun* in 1972. [or thereabouts] I just ran across my set in the
> attic earlier this morning. I think I have 6-7. I looked on
> Amazon to see what their dates were & it looks like they revived the
> series! I'm missing a few. Should probably buy them so when the
> apocalypse comes I'm ready. [I've got the one that builds a still-- so
> I guess I could just from there and barter.<g>]
>
> I found them very informative & great reading. not to mention what a
> great idea it was to introduce teens to *old* people and their ways--
> and record those ways for posterity.

Yeah, I was a teenager when these were first published. After I finished
reading Lord of the Rings I read the Foxfire books I liked learning how
to make my own soap and how to build a log cabin... not that I ever did
those things.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> "Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 08:32:59 -0400, "jmcquown" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>The Foxfire Books. 1972.

>> *Begun* in 1972. [or thereabouts] I just ran across my set in the
>> attic earlier this morning. I think I have 6-7. I looked on
>> Amazon to see what their dates were & it looks like they revived the
>> series! I'm missing a few. Should probably buy them so when the
>> apocalypse comes I'm ready. [I've got the one that builds a still-- so
>> I guess I could just from there and barter.<g>]
>>
>> I found them very informative & great reading. not to mention what a
>> great idea it was to introduce teens to *old* people and their ways--
>> and record those ways for posterity.
>>

> Yeah, I was a teenager when these were first published. After I finished
> reading Lord of the Rings I read the Foxfire books I liked learning
> how to make my own soap and how to build a log cabin... not that I ever
> did those things.
>
> Jill

My parents had them. I was particularly interested in the hog butchering
section. The guy behind Foxfire later turned out to be a child molester or
something.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 31, 6:49*am, James Silverton >
wrote:
> On 8/31/2011 8:32 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>

> > The Foxfire Books. 1972. These books have some interesting recipes from
> > the folks who live in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. I love how
> > vague they can be. This is like reading one of my grandmother's recipes..
> > She just assumed everyone knew how long and at what temperature to cook
> > something.

> > Brunswick Stew

> > 2 lbs. cooked ground beef
> > 1 lb. cooked ground pork
> > 1 small cooked chicken, chopped
> > 3-4 diced potatoes
> > 1 pint corn (kernels)
> > 1 c. lima beans
> > 2-3 diced carrots
> > 2-3 chopped onions
> > 1 pint tomatoes or tomato juice
> > chili powder
> > black pepper and red pepper
> > Worcestershire sauce

> > The vegetables may be either raw or canned. Mix everything together and
> > simmer a long time.

> What no squirrel?
>
> --
>
> James Silverton, Potomac
>
> I'm *not*

I want possum.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Brunswick Stew
>
> 2 lbs. cooked ground beef
> 1 lb. cooked ground pork
> 1 small cooked chicken, chopped

I didn't know Brunswick Stew had beef and pork too. Is that a common
variation?

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 06:57:12 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
> > On 8/31/2011 8:32 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> >> The Foxfire Books. 1972. These books have some interesting recipes from
> >> the folks who live in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. I love how
> >> vague they can be. This is like reading one of my grandmother's recipes.
> >> She just assumed everyone knew how long and at what temperature to cook
> >> something.
> >>
> >> Brunswick Stew

> cook stew at a low simmer, until is done. You need a cookbook to tell you
> that?

Some people do, although I'm sure Jill doesn't.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 08:32:59 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> Brunswick Stew
>>
>> 2 lbs. cooked ground beef
>> 1 lb. cooked ground pork
>> 1 small cooked chicken, chopped

> I didn't know Brunswick Stew had beef and pork too. Is that a common
> variation?

I don't know. I was just quoting from the book. Circa 1972.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 15:31:55 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 08:32:59 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Brunswick Stew
> >>
> >> 2 lbs. cooked ground beef
> >> 1 lb. cooked ground pork
> >> 1 small cooked chicken, chopped

> > I didn't know Brunswick Stew had beef and pork too. Is that a common
> > variation?
> >

> I don't know. I was just quoting from the book. Circa 1972.

Just curious if you knew. I was thinking that it's so much meat, my
husband would probably love it.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 15:31:55 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message

>> > I didn't know Brunswick Stew had beef and pork too. Is that a common
>> > variation?
>> >

>> I don't know. I was just quoting from the book. Circa 1972.
>>

> Just curious if you knew. I was thinking that it's so much meat, my
> husband would probably love it.

It probably was a recipe for a really large family. Ever watch 'The
Waltons'?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-09-01, jmcquown > wrote:

> It probably was a recipe for a really large family. Ever watch 'The
> Waltons'?

Who didn't?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKzMb...eature=related

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1 Sep 2011 16:47:36 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2011-09-01, jmcquown > wrote:
>
> > It probably was a recipe for a really large family. Ever watch 'The
> > Waltons'?

> Who didn't?
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKzMb...eature=related

I didn't.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1 Sep 2011 16:47:36 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2011-09-01, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> It probably was a recipe for a really large family. Ever watch 'The
>> Waltons'?

>Who didn't?
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKzMb...eature=related
>
>nb

Me. Never saw Forrest Gump either.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/1/2011 2:24 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> Me. Never saw Forrest Gump either.
> Janet US

That movie turned me into a Tom Hanks fan. See it... and then see the
Green Mile.

Two of my favorites.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sep 1, 12:52*pm, George Leppla > wrote:
> On 9/1/2011 2:24 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
> > Me. *Never saw Forrest Gump either.
> > Janet US

> That movie turned me into a Tom Hanks fan. *See it... and then see the
> Green Mile.
>
> Two of my favorites.
>
> George L

My all time favorite Tom Hanks movie is The Man With One Red Shoe.
He's way young and too cute in that one.
My next favorite is Big...then Splash.....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote in message
> On 9/1/2011 2:24 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> Me. Never saw Forrest Gump either.
>> Janet US

> That movie turned me into a Tom Hanks fan. See it... and then see the
> Green Mile.
>
> Two of my favorites.
>
> George L

The Green Mile was spooky as hell. Written by Stephen King. Great music,
too.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 23:29:18 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"George Leppla" > wrote in message
>> On 9/1/2011 2:24 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>> Me. Never saw Forrest Gump either.
>>> Janet US

>> That movie turned me into a Tom Hanks fan. See it... and then see the
>> Green Mile.
>>
>> Two of my favorites.
>>
>> George L

>The Green Mile was spooky as hell. Written by Stephen King. Great music,
>too.
>
>Jill

I stopped reading and watching Stephen King movies probably 25 years
ago. He is just too creepy for me.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 06:05:50 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> I stopped reading and watching Stephen King movies probably 25 years
> ago. He is just too creepy for me.

I never watch (or read) those things either. Didn't realize Green
Mile is one of his. Haven't seen it or had a desire to. Now I know
why.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

forest gump is a sweet story, but it really is very real if you were
molested as a child or have ever been treated badly because you are
different, Lee
"George Leppla" > wrote in message
> On 9/1/2011 2:24 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> Me. Never saw Forrest Gump either.
>> Janet US

> That movie turned me into a Tom Hanks fan. See it... and then see the
> Green Mile.
>
> Two of my favorites.
>
> George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

none of his stuff ever bothered me until i read pet cemetary, too close to
family stories to be comfortable, Lee
"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 23:29:18 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:

>>> That movie turned me into a Tom Hanks fan. See it... and then see the
>>> Green Mile.
>>>
>>> Two of my favorites.
>>>
>>> George L

>>The Green Mile was spooky as hell. Written by Stephen King. Great music,
>>too.
>>
>>Jill

> I stopped reading and watching Stephen King movies probably 25 years
> ago. He is just too creepy for me.
> Janet US

Member

I like this recipe and i will try must this
as it is my favorite
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 06:05:50 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
>
>> I stopped reading and watching Stephen King movies probably 25 years
>> ago. He is just too creepy for me.

> I never watch (or read) those things either. Didn't realize Green
> Mile is one of his. Haven't seen it or had a desire to. Now I know
> why.

"The Green Mile" is not a horror film ,though there is violence. It is very
much worth watching. Have you seen "The Shawshank Redemption"? That's based
on
a King novella, and "The Green Mile" is more like that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 12:48:24 -0400, "news" > wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 06:05:50 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I stopped reading and watching Stephen King movies probably 25 years
> >> ago. He is just too creepy for me.

> > I never watch (or read) those things either. Didn't realize Green
> > Mile is one of his. Haven't seen it or had a desire to. Now I know
> > why.

> "The Green Mile" is not a horror film ,though there is violence. It is very
> much worth watching. Have you seen "The Shawshank Redemption"? That's based
> on a King novella, and "The Green Mile" is more like that.

Thanks, not much of a movie watcher (don't like violence, horror or
car chases) - but I think I've seen "The Shawshank Redemption". Don't
remember a thing about it though - so maybe I slept through it. Will
Netflix it soon because I do like Morgan Freeman and the movies he's
in.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila