Old 31-08-2011, 01:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Foxfire Books Recipes

The Foxfire Books. 1972. These books have some interesting recipes from
the folks who live in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. I love how
vague they can be. This is like reading one of my grandmother's recipes.
She just assumed everyone knew how long and at what temperature to cook
something.

Brunswick Stew

2 lbs. cooked ground beef
1 lb. cooked ground pork
1 small cooked chicken, chopped
3-4 diced potatoes
1 pint corn (kernels)
1 c. lima beans
2-3 diced carrots
2-3 chopped onions
1 pint tomatoes or tomato juice
chili powder
black pepper and red pepper
Worcestershire sauce

The vegetables may be either raw or canned. Mix everything together and
simmer a long time.

******************
Corn Pones

1 pint corn meal
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbs. lard
milk

Mix together meal, powder and salt. Cut in lard, add enough milk to make a
stiff batter. Form into pones with hands (or drop from the end of a spoon)
and place in greased pan. Bake in a hot oven for about half an hour.
*******************

Molasses Cookies

1 c. brown sugar
1 egg
1 c. molasses
3/4 c. melted butter or lard
1/4 c. boiling water
salt to taste

Add enough flour to roll. Roll, cut out, bake in hot oven.

Jill

Old 31-08-2011, 02:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/31/2011 8:32 AM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

What no squirrel?

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Old 31-08-2011, 02:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" wrote in message
On 8/31/2011 8:32 AM, jmcquown wrote:
The Foxfire Books. 1972. These books have some interesting recipes from
the folks who live in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. I love how
vague they can be. This is like reading one of my grandmother's recipes.
She just assumed everyone knew how long and at what temperature to cook
something.

Brunswick Stew

cook stew at a low simmer, until is done. You need a cookbook to tell you
that?

Old 31-08-2011, 03:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Pico Rico tagged on:

On 8/31/2011 8:32 AM, jmcquown wrote:
The Foxfire Books. 1972. These books have some interesting recipes from
the folks who live in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. I love how
vague they can be. This is like reading one of my grandmother's recipes.
She just assumed everyone knew how long and at what temperature to cook
something.

Brunswick Stew

cook stew at a low simmer, until is done. You need a cookbook to tell you
that?

If you use canned vegetables as the recipe suggests, everything is *already*
done, since you start off with cooked meat. That doesn't look like any
"real" Brunswick stew recipe that I've ever seen. In fact, it looks like it
came straight off the set of "Semi-Homemade".

Bob

Old 31-08-2011, 03:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" wrote in message
eb.com...
Pico Rico tagged on:

On 8/31/2011 8:32 AM, jmcquown wrote:
The Foxfire Books. 1972. These books have some interesting recipes from
the folks who live in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. I love how
vague they can be. This is like reading one of my grandmother's
recipes.
She just assumed everyone knew how long and at what temperature to cook
something.

Brunswick Stew

cook stew at a low simmer, until is done. You need a cookbook to tell
you that?

If you use canned vegetables as the recipe suggests, everything is
*already* done, since you start off with cooked meat. That doesn't look
like any "real" Brunswick stew recipe that I've ever seen. In fact, it
looks like it came straight off the set of "Semi-Homemade".

the recipe was uninspiring for sure. I was commenting only on the OP's need
for cooking instructions for stew.

Old 31-08-2011, 03:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pico Rico" wrote in message

"James Silverton" wrote in message
On 8/31/2011 8:32 AM, jmcquown wrote:
The Foxfire Books. 1972. These books have some interesting recipes from
the folks who live in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. I love how
vague they can be. This is like reading one of my grandmother's recipes.
She just assumed everyone knew how long and at what temperature to cook
something.

Brunswick Stew

cook stew at a low simmer, until is done. You need a cookbook to tell you
that?

I was just making a general observation as was written in the book. Of
course I don't need a cookbook to tell me that.

Jill

Old 31-08-2011, 03:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

[...]

I'm sure if I dig into the other Foxfire books I'll find recipes for
squirrel and even possum

Jill

Old 31-08-2011, 03:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 08:32:59 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

The Foxfire Books. 1972.

*Begun* in 1972. [or thereabouts] I just ran across my set in the
attic earlier this morning. I think I have 6-7. I looked on
Amazon to see what their dates were & it looks like they revived the
series! I'm missing a few. Should probably buy them so when the
apocalypse comes I'm ready. [I've got the one that builds a still-- so
I guess I could just from there and barter.g]

These books have some interesting recipes from
the folks who live in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. I love how
vague they can be. This is like reading one of my grandmother's recipes.
She just assumed everyone knew how long and at what temperature to cook
something.

I found them very informative & great reading. not to mention what a
great idea it was to introduce teens to *old* people and their ways--
and record those ways for posterity.

[...]

Well-- I might be a bit more specific on the cookie recipe-- but the
others could come from my notes. I guess I *should* try harder-- but
words are expensive.

Jim
Old 31-08-2011, 04:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

The Foxfire Books. 1972.

*Begun* in 1972. [or thereabouts] I just ran across my set in the
attic earlier this morning. I think I have 6-7. I looked on
Amazon to see what their dates were & it looks like they revived the
series! I'm missing a few. Should probably buy them so when the
apocalypse comes I'm ready. [I've got the one that builds a still-- so
I guess I could just from there and barter.g]

I found them very informative & great reading. not to mention what a
great idea it was to introduce teens to *old* people and their ways--
and record those ways for posterity.

Yeah, I was a teenager when these were first published. After I finished
reading Lord of the Rings I read the Foxfire books I liked learning how
to make my own soap and how to build a log cabin... not that I ever did
those things.

Jill

Old 31-08-2011, 04:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

The Foxfire Books. 1972.

*Begun* in 1972. [or thereabouts] I just ran across my set in the
attic earlier this morning. I think I have 6-7. I looked on
Amazon to see what their dates were & it looks like they revived the
series! I'm missing a few. Should probably buy them so when the
apocalypse comes I'm ready. [I've got the one that builds a still-- so
I guess I could just from there and barter.g]

I found them very informative & great reading. not to mention what a
great idea it was to introduce teens to *old* people and their ways--
and record those ways for posterity.

Yeah, I was a teenager when these were first published. After I finished
reading Lord of the Rings I read the Foxfire books I liked learning
how to make my own soap and how to build a log cabin... not that I ever
did those things.

Jill

My parents had them. I was particularly interested in the hog butchering
section. The guy behind Foxfire later turned out to be a child molester or
something.

Old 31-08-2011, 06:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Brunswick Stew

2 lbs. cooked ground beef
1 lb. cooked ground pork
1 small cooked chicken, chopped

I didn't know Brunswick Stew had beef and pork too. Is that a common
variation?

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Old 31-08-2011, 06:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 06:57:12 -0700, "Pico Rico"
wrote:

"James Silverton" wrote in message
On 8/31/2011 8:32 AM, jmcquown wrote:
The Foxfire Books. 1972. These books have some interesting recipes from
the folks who live in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. I love how
vague they can be. This is like reading one of my grandmother's recipes.
She just assumed everyone knew how long and at what temperature to cook
something.

Brunswick Stew

cook stew at a low simmer, until is done. You need a cookbook to tell you
that?

Some people do, although I'm sure Jill doesn't.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Old 31-08-2011, 08:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Brunswick Stew

2 lbs. cooked ground beef
1 lb. cooked ground pork
1 small cooked chicken, chopped

I didn't know Brunswick Stew had beef and pork too. Is that a common
variation?

I don't know. I was just quoting from the book. Circa 1972.

Jill

Old 31-08-2011, 09:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Brunswick Stew

2 lbs. cooked ground beef
1 lb. cooked ground pork
1 small cooked chicken, chopped

I didn't know Brunswick Stew had beef and pork too. Is that a common
variation?

I don't know. I was just quoting from the book. Circa 1972.

Just curious if you knew. I was thinking that it's so much meat, my
husband would probably love it.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila