Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Vitamix

I bought a used Vitamix 3600+ on eBay. That's the old one with the
stainless-steel jar with a spigot. It's in good shape, but the wooden
tamper is missing. I bought 3/4" and 3/8" oak dowels to make one, but
I'm not sure how long to cut the 3/4". Should I make it so it just
barely clears the blades, or is there supposed to be a half inch or so
of clearance? Also, how much is supposed to stick up past the
cross-dowel -- to be used as a handle?

And I guess I should give the wood a coat of food-grade linseed oil or
some satin polyurethane varnish...

(I'm probably overthinking this)

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 16:55:47 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>I bought a used Vitamix 3600+ on eBay. That's the old one with the
>stainless-steel jar with a spigot. It's in good shape, but the wooden
>tamper is missing. I bought 3/4" and 3/8" oak dowels to make one, but
>I'm not sure how long to cut the 3/4". Should I make it so it just
>barely clears the blades, or is there supposed to be a half inch or so
>of clearance? Also, how much is supposed to stick up past the
>cross-dowel -- to be used as a handle?
>
>And I guess I should give the wood a coat of food-grade linseed oil or
>some satin polyurethane varnish...
>
>(I'm probably overthinking this)
>
>-Bob

I bought my Super 3600 at a local thrift store many years ago. Also
has the S/S jar with spigot. Was also missing the pusher.
I made mine from 1" and 5/16" maple dowel.
There is exactly 10-3/4" of 1" dowel below the bottom of the 5/16"
cross piece and the "handle" portion is 3-1/4" above the top of the
cross piece. The cross piece is 4" long.
I used no finish, left it natural. Works great.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ross@home wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 16:55:47 -0500, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>
>> I bought a used Vitamix 3600+ on eBay. That's the old one with the
>> stainless-steel jar with a spigot. It's in good shape, but the wooden
>> tamper is missing. I bought 3/4" and 3/8" oak dowels to make one, but
>> I'm not sure how long to cut the 3/4". Should I make it so it just
>> barely clears the blades, or is there supposed to be a half inch or so
>> of clearance? Also, how much is supposed to stick up past the
>> cross-dowel -- to be used as a handle?
>>
>> And I guess I should give the wood a coat of food-grade linseed oil or
>> some satin polyurethane varnish...
>>
>> (I'm probably overthinking this)
>>
>> -Bob

> I bought my Super 3600 at a local thrift store many years ago. Also
> has the S/S jar with spigot. Was also missing the pusher.
> I made mine from 1" and 5/16" maple dowel.
> There is exactly 10-3/4" of 1" dowel below the bottom of the 5/16"
> cross piece and the "handle" portion is 3-1/4" above the top of the
> cross piece. The cross piece is 4" long.
> I used no finish, left it natural. Works great.

Thanks Ross.

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I had one of the old stainless steel ones many, many years ago. A few
years ago I bought the newer model when Costco had them. I much prefer
the old stainless steel one. It's easier to get food out of.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/2/2011 5:55 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
> I bought a used Vitamix 3600+ on eBay. That's the old one with the
> stainless-steel jar with a spigot. It's in good shape, but the wooden
> tamper is missing. I bought 3/4" and 3/8" oak dowels to make one, but
> I'm not sure how long to cut the 3/4". Should I make it so it just
> barely clears the blades, or is there supposed to be a half inch or so
> of clearance? Also, how much is supposed to stick up past the
> cross-dowel -- to be used as a handle?
>
> And I guess I should give the wood a coat of food-grade linseed oil or
> some satin polyurethane varnish...
>
> (I'm probably overthinking this)

I bought the same model on eBay. Mine came with the tamper. I can take
a photo of it for you if you want, and give measurements.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:
> On 8/2/2011 5:55 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
>> I bought a used Vitamix 3600+ on eBay. That's the old one with the
>> stainless-steel jar with a spigot. It's in good shape, but the
>> wooden
>> tamper is missing. I bought 3/4" and 3/8" oak dowels to make one,
>> but
>> I'm not sure how long to cut the 3/4". Should I make it so it just
>> barely clears the blades, or is there supposed to be a half inch or
>> so of clearance? Also, how much is supposed to stick up past the
>> cross-dowel -- to be used as a handle?
>>
>> And I guess I should give the wood a coat of food-grade linseed oil
>> or some satin polyurethane varnish...
>>
>> (I'm probably overthinking this)
>>

> I bought the same model on eBay. Mine came with the tamper. I can
> take a photo of it for you if you want, and give measurements.

There's a Vitamix tamper being advertised on eBay right now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/6/2011 11:19 AM, Dora wrote:
> Cheryl wrote:
>> On 8/2/2011 5:55 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
>>> I bought a used Vitamix 3600+ on eBay. That's the old one with the
>>> stainless-steel jar with a spigot. It's in good shape, but the wooden
>>> tamper is missing.

>> I bought the same model on eBay. Mine came with the tamper. I can
>> take a photo of it for you if you want, and give measurements.

> There's a Vitamix tamper being advertised on eBay right now.

They're selling them on QVC right now, only $414, free shipping!

Yikes.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Aug 2011 12:37:27 -0400, Nancy Young <email@replyto> wrote:

>On 8/6/2011 11:19 AM, Dora wrote:
>> Cheryl wrote:

>>> I bought the same model on eBay. Mine came with the tamper. I can
>>> take a photo of it for you if you want, and give measurements.

>> There's a Vitamix tamper being advertised on eBay right now.

>They're selling them on QVC right now, only $414, free shipping!
>
>Yikes.

Yikes, that's a mighty pricey tamper.