Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Vitamix Blenders

Does anybody have any experience with this brand of blender? I would
appreciate any comments.

thanks,

John
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 8/6/2012 1:16 PM, John Sorell wrote:
> Does anybody have any experience with this brand of blender? I would
> appreciate any comments.
>
> thanks,

There's a detailed review of blenders in the very recent Cook's
Illustrated magazine (page 29, September/October 2012). The review
lists the Vitamix 5200 (price $499 - OUCH!) as "highly recommended"
along with co-winner "Breville The Hemisphere Control" (price $199.99).

'Recommended with reservations' were the "Ninja Professional Blender"
($99.99) and the "Hamilton Beach Rio Commercial Bar Blender" ($109.99).

'Not recommended' were the "Cuisinart Blend and Cook Soup Maker" ($199),
"Hamilton Beach Wave Maker 2-Speed Blender" (39.99), "Oster 7-Speed
Reversing Motor Blender" ($59.99), and the "Waring Pro Professional Food
and Beverage Blender" ($99.95).

Reference the magazine for the details about the ratings for the
blenders listed above with regard to durability, speed, and noise, along
with other various comments. HTH

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky > wrote in news:a8ai8uFrimU1
@mid.individual.net:

> On 8/6/2012 1:16 PM, John Sorell wrote:
>> Does anybody have any experience with this brand of blender? I would
>> appreciate any comments.
>>
>> thanks,

> There's a detailed review of blenders in the very recent Cook's
> Illustrated magazine (page 29, September/October 2012). The review
> lists the Vitamix 5200 (price $499 - OUCH!) as "highly recommended"
> along with co-winner "Breville The Hemisphere Control" (price $199.99).
>
> 'Recommended with reservations' were the "Ninja Professional Blender"
> ($99.99) and the "Hamilton Beach Rio Commercial Bar Blender" ($109.99).
>
> 'Not recommended' were the "Cuisinart Blend and Cook Soup Maker"

($199),
> "Hamilton Beach Wave Maker 2-Speed Blender" (39.99), "Oster 7-Speed
> Reversing Motor Blender" ($59.99), and the "Waring Pro Professional

Food
> and Beverage Blender" ($99.95).
>
> Reference the magazine for the details about the ratings for the
> blenders listed above with regard to durability, speed, and noise,

along
> with other various comments. HTH
>
> Sky

Thanks. I read that issue. Hoping to hear some stories from our troops on
the ground...

John
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 13:55:07 -0500, Sky >
wrote:

> On 8/6/2012 1:16 PM, John Sorell wrote:
> > Does anybody have any experience with this brand of blender? I would
> > appreciate any comments.
> >
> > thanks,

> There's a detailed review of blenders in the very recent Cook's
> Illustrated magazine (page 29, September/October 2012). The review
> lists the Vitamix 5200 (price $499 - OUCH!) as "highly recommended"
> along with co-winner "Breville The Hemisphere Control" (price $199.99).
>
> 'Recommended with reservations' were the "Ninja Professional Blender"
> ($99.99) and the "Hamilton Beach Rio Commercial Bar Blender" ($109.99).
>
> 'Not recommended' were the "Cuisinart Blend and Cook Soup Maker" ($199),
> "Hamilton Beach Wave Maker 2-Speed Blender" (39.99), "Oster 7-Speed
> Reversing Motor Blender" ($59.99), and the "Waring Pro Professional Food
> and Beverage Blender" ($99.95).
>
> Reference the magazine for the details about the ratings for the
> blenders listed above with regard to durability, speed, and noise, along
> with other various comments. HTH

What did they do that put some in recommended with reservations or not
recommended categories. I wouldn't try to pulverize rocks with one
and it seems like all could make mayonnaise or margaritas well enough
to suit my (home) purposes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 6, 11:55*am, Sky > wrote:
> On 8/6/2012 1:16 PM, John Sorell wrote:
>
> > Does anybody have any experience with this brand of blender? I would
> > appreciate any comments.

> > thanks,

> There's a detailed review of blenders in the very recent Cook's
> Illustrated magazine (page 29, September/October 2012). *The review
> lists the Vitamix 5200 (price $499 - OUCH!) as "highly recommended"
> along with co-winner "Breville The Hemisphere Control" (price $199.99).
>
> 'Recommended with reservations' were the "Ninja Professional Blender"
> ($99.99) and the "Hamilton Beach Rio Commercial Bar Blender" ($109.99).
>
> 'Not recommended' were the "Cuisinart Blend and Cook Soup Maker" ($199),
> "Hamilton Beach Wave Maker 2-Speed Blender" (39.99), "Oster 7-Speed
> Reversing Motor Blender" ($59.99), and the "Waring Pro Professional Food
> and Beverage Blender" ($99.95).

Good Housekeeping likes the Osterizer (AKA Beehive Blender)

I'd be curious about the Vita Mix, because I normally run away from
"As seen on TV" products.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6 Aug 2012 18:16:05 GMT, John Sorell >
wrote:

>Does anybody have any experience with this brand of blender? I would
>appreciate any comments.
>
>thanks,
>
>John

I have an older Model Super 3600 that I picked up quite a few years
ago at a local thrift shop. It looked to be in mint condition, price
tag on it was $20.00 but they were having a 50% off sale that day and
at 10 bucks I just couldn't resist.
There was no owner's manual with it so I ordered one from VitaMix and
the manual cost me more than the blender.
I do think they are a great blender but way too pricey and I'd never
consider purchasing one at retail. I have much better use for
$500-$800.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Aug 6, 11:16*am, John Sorell > wrote:
> Does anybody have any experience with this brand of blender? I would
> appreciate any comments.
>
> thanks,
>
> John

I have a Vita-Mix. Can't say enough good things about it. I make a
lot of green smoothies for my lunches and
nothing beats the Vita-Mix for pulverizing fresh greens. It's a
miracle for blended bar drinks and I make soups with it as well.

I bought mine on line. It's a 4500 Turbo Blend and I bought it for
$350. You can find bargains on them, no reason to pay full freight
for one. You will never be sorry.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-08-06, John Sorell > wrote:
> Does anybody have any experience with this brand of blender? I would
> appreciate any comments.

I have a 3900, one of the early one's with the soup spigot. I'm not
impressed and haven't used it since I discoverd it doesn't do large
ice cube tray ice fer dammit. Rounds 'em off into walnuts, where they
then churn around forever. I'll sell mine cheap.

nb

--
"Do you recognize me? No!
....cuz I don't work here"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2012-08-06, John Sorell > wrote:
>
>> Does anybody have any experience with this brand of blender? I would
>> appreciate any comments.
>>

> I have a 3900, one of the early one's with the soup spigot. I'm not
> impressed and haven't used it since I discoverd it doesn't do large
> ice cube tray ice fer dammit. Rounds 'em off into walnuts, where they
> then churn around forever. I'll sell mine cheap.
>
> nb

My mom has one of the old ones with the steel jar and a spigot. She
loves it; mostly uses it now (I think) for grinding cornmeal. It's at
least 30 years old and still works great.

I bought one just like it off eBay for DD because she was tempted to buy
a new one. The spigot is useless, but I think it's broken. It doesn't
leak, so we just ignore it. (I should replace it with some kind of
rubber and stainless steel plug.) The think didn't work very well at
first because the wooden tamper was missing, so stuff just kind of
hovered above the blade. I made a tamper from a 5/8" oak dowel and that
made all the difference. But I haven't used it much because I have a
normal blender already. DD took it back to college this summer and so
far she says she used it to make some borscht. :-P

Here's what I'm tempted to buy:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B007T0CIVS/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new>

--
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Sorell wrote:

> Does anybody have any experience with this brand of blender? I would
> appreciate any comments.

To me they look exactly like a commercial restaurant blender made
available to the general public.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Sorell wrote:

> Does anybody have any experience with this brand of blender? I would
> appreciate any comments.

I have a fairly recent model Vitamix and I use it often. I used it
tonight to make a zucchini soup (description posted in the zucchini thread).

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Aug 6, 2:06*pm, Doug Freyburger > wrote:
> John Sorell wrote:
>
> > Does anybody have any experience with this brand of blender? I would
> > appreciate any comments.

> To me they look exactly like a commercial restaurant blender made
> available to the general public.

Doug, that is exactly what they are. But the commercial models have
more horsepower and come with more features.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger > wrote in
b.com:

> John Sorell wrote:
>
>> Does anybody have any experience with this brand of blender? I would
>> appreciate any comments.

> I have a fairly recent model Vitamix and I use it often. I used it
> tonight to make a zucchini soup (description posted in the zucchini
> thread).
>
> Bob

Bob,

How's the noise factor?

John
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/7/2012 7:06 AM, John Sorell wrote:
> Bob Terwilliger > wrote in
> b.com:
>
>> John Sorell wrote:
>>
>>> Does anybody have any experience with this brand of blender? I would
>>> appreciate any comments.

>> I have a fairly recent model Vitamix and I use it often. I used it
>> tonight to make a zucchini soup (description posted in the zucchini
>> thread).
>>
>> Bob
>>

> Bob,
>
> How's the noise factor?
>
> John

It's noisy. Louder than an electric drill but quieter than a table saw.
There's one in the kitchen and I hate that thing. We've never used it
but my wife associates it with her mom and dad. Maybe I should have it
framed and hung on the wall.

It's well constructed, weighs about 10lbs, and rated at 1380W. It should
be able to handle most anything you throw at it. The controls are easy
to understand for neanderthals like me - an on/off switch, a speed dial,
and a toggle to alternate between max power and the speed dial power. No
push buttons - I like that. The blender container is of heavy
construction and it sits between some rubberized supports. You don't
have to lock the container to the base like most blenders - I like that.

To sum up: it's noisy and well-built. Good luck!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote:

> I'd be curious about the Vita Mix, because I normally run away from
> "As seen on TV" products.

For decades I've worn arch supports that were recommended by a custom
cobbler that I partonized back when I lived in LA metro. Over time they
wore down. The heel support reamins good but not the arch support.

This weekend I when to the As Seen On TV store and bought a set of arch
support shoe inserts. I'm wearing them now. Not surprising - On
amazon.com for less money. I bought a set at the store to know it's
okay. I'll likely end up with a set for each pair of shoes plus a
different size for my wife's shoes.

But Vita Mix, yeah. I'd check the local restaurant supply place for
their big ones and see about the price difference.

On the other hand we have a little Bullet and use it often enough that
it stays on the shelf in the kitchen.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 > wrote in news:jvrnp1$1v1$1@dont-
email.me:

> On 8/7/2012 7:06 AM, John Sorell wrote:
>> Bob Terwilliger > wrote in
>> b.com:

>>> I have a fairly recent model Vitamix and I use it often. I used it
>>> tonight to make a zucchini soup (description posted in the zucchini
>>> thread).
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>

>> Bob,
>>
>> How's the noise factor?
>>
>> John
>>

> It's noisy. Louder than an electric drill but quieter than a table saw.
> There's one in the kitchen and I hate that thing. We've never used it
> but my wife associates it with her mom and dad. Maybe I should have it
> framed and hung on the wall.
>
> It's well constructed, weighs about 10lbs, and rated at 1380W. It should
> be able to handle most anything you throw at it. The controls are easy
> to understand for neanderthals like me - an on/off switch, a speed dial,
> and a toggle to alternate between max power and the speed dial power. No
> push buttons - I like that. The blender container is of heavy
> construction and it sits between some rubberized supports. You don't
> have to lock the container to the base like most blenders - I like that.
>
> To sum up: it's noisy and well-built. Good luck!

Thanks David,

I found out that my wife was shopping for one of these for my birthday. She
went to several stores for demos. It seems the model sold exclusively by
Williams Sonoma is considerably quieter than all the other models she
tested. It also cooks and freezes. It is also considerably more expensive
than the other models. She gave up on it as a gift when she got propelled
into the $799 stratosphere. That's a lotta inedible dough...

John
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/7/2012 10:02 AM, John Sorell wrote:

> Thanks David,
>
> I found out that my wife was shopping for one of these for my birthday. She
> went to several stores for demos. It seems the model sold exclusively by
> Williams Sonoma is considerably quieter than all the other models she
> tested. It also cooks and freezes. It is also considerably more expensive
> than the other models. She gave up on it as a gift when she got propelled
> into the $799 stratosphere. That's a lotta inedible dough...
>
> John

What a blender! I never could figure out how they were able to get
steaming hot soup out of those things. Now you're telling me that it
also freezes - holy smokes! I better make something with this crazy
contraption.

P.S. Tell your wife to use the money for a down payment on a new guitar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Aug 7, 10:06*am, John Sorell > wrote:
> Bob Terwilliger > wrote web.com:
>
> > John Sorell wrote:

> >> Does anybody have any experience with this brand of blender? I would
> >> appreciate any comments.

> > I have a fairly recent model Vitamix and I use it often. I used it
> > tonight to make a zucchini soup (description posted in the zucchini
> > thread).

> > Bob

> Bob,
>
> How's the noise factor?
>
> John

It's loud but not as loud as the older models were. I don't mind it,
it's no worse than the vacuum cleaner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Aug 7, 2:16*pm, dsi1 > wrote:
> On 8/7/2012 10:02 AM, John Sorell wrote:
>

> > Thanks David,

> > I found out that my wife was shopping for one of these for my birthday. She
> > went to several stores for demos. It seems the model sold exclusively by
> > Williams Sonoma is considerably quieter than all the other models she
> > tested. It also cooks and freezes. It is also considerably more expensive
> > than the other models. She gave up on it as a gift when she got propelled
> > into the $799 stratosphere. That's a lotta inedible dough...

> > John

> What a blender! I never could figure out how they were able to get
> steaming hot soup out of those things. Now you're telling me that it
> also freezes - holy smokes! I better make something with this crazy
> contraption.
>
> P.S. Tell your wife to use the money for a down payment on a new guitar.

It makes hot soup because the blades create enough friction to warm up
whatever you put in the blender.

It freezes because it pulverizes the ice you use in your
recipe....Ice....pulverization......frozen stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/7/2012 11:53 AM, ImStillMags wrote:

> It makes hot soup because the blades create enough friction to warm up
> whatever you put in the blender.

Heating food up through friction is a cool idea. I found a recipe for
broccoli cheese soup on the Vitamix site - will try it. I suspect you
can do this on a regular blender too except that the motor would
overheat if left on high for 5-7 minutes.

> It freezes because it pulverizes the ice you use in your
> recipe....Ice....pulverization......frozen stuff.

There's a recipe for ice cream on the Vitamix site that's made with milk
and ice cubes. That don't sound so hot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Aug 7, 1:02*pm, John Sorell > wrote:
> dsi1 > wrote innews:jvrnp1$1v1$1@dont-
> email.me:
>

> > On 8/7/2012 7:06 AM, John Sorell wrote:
> >> Bob Terwilliger > wrote in
> web.com:

> >> Bob,

> >> How's the noise factor?

> >> John

> > It's noisy. Louder than an electric drill but quieter than a table saw.
> > There's one in the kitchen and I hate that thing. We've never used it
> > but my wife associates it with her mom and dad. Maybe I should have it
> > framed and hung on the wall.

> > It's well constructed, weighs about 10lbs, and rated at 1380W. It should
> > be able to handle most anything you throw at it. The controls are easy
> > to understand for neanderthals like me - an on/off switch, a speed dial,
> > and a toggle to alternate between max power and the speed dial power. No
> > push buttons - I like that. The blender container is of heavy
> > construction and it sits between some rubberized supports. You don't
> > have to lock the container to the base like most blenders - I like that..

> > To sum up: it's noisy and well-built. Good luck!

> Thanks David,
>
> I found out that my wife was shopping for one of these for my birthday. She
> went to several stores for demos. It seems the model sold exclusively by
> Williams Sonoma is considerably quieter than all the other models she
> tested. It also cooks and freezes. It is also considerably more expensive
> than the other models. She gave up on it as a gift when she got propelled
> into the $799 stratosphere. That's a lotta inedible dough...
>
> John- Hide quoted text -

John, you might check out this lady. She's a Vita Mix demonstration
expert. Lots of info on her site.

http://blenderlady.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 7, 4:42*pm, dsi1 > wrote:
> On 8/7/2012 11:53 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
>

> > It makes hot soup because the blades create enough friction to warm up
> > whatever you put in the blender.

> Heating food up through friction is a cool idea. I found a recipe for
> broccoli cheese soup on the Vitamix site - will try it. I suspect you
> can do this on a regular blender too except that the motor would
> overheat if left on high for 5-7 minutes.
>

> > It freezes because it pulverizes the ice you use in your
> > recipe....Ice....pulverization......frozen stuff.

> There's a recipe for ice cream on the Vitamix site that's made with milk
> and ice cubes. That don't sound so hot.

When she craved sweets, my mother the perpetual dieter would make a
pseudo milkshake out of skim milk, diet root beer, and ice cubes. The
Osterizer was up to the challenge of shattering the ice cubes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/7/2012 2:28 PM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Aug 7, 4:42 pm, dsi1 > wrote:
>> On 8/7/2012 11:53 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
>>

>>> It makes hot soup because the blades create enough friction to warm up
>>> whatever you put in the blender.

>> Heating food up through friction is a cool idea. I found a recipe for
>> broccoli cheese soup on the Vitamix site - will try it. I suspect you
>> can do this on a regular blender too except that the motor would
>> overheat if left on high for 5-7 minutes.
>>

>>> It freezes because it pulverizes the ice you use in your
>>> recipe....Ice....pulverization......frozen stuff.

>> There's a recipe for ice cream on the Vitamix site that's made with milk
>> and ice cubes. That don't sound so hot.

> When she craved sweets, my mother the perpetual dieter would make a
> pseudo milkshake out of skim milk, diet root beer, and ice cubes. The
> Osterizer was up to the challenge of shattering the ice cubes.

That's a heck of a milkshake. I can't imagine what that would be like -
sounds like water and air. She must have been a lightweight. Hopefully,
she had more substantial fare during the day.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Sorell asked:

>> I have a fairly recent model Vitamix and I use it often. I used it
>> tonight to make a zucchini soup (description posted in the zucchini
>> thread).

> How's the noise factor?

It's usually not too bad, but today when I put a bunch of Corn Nuts into
the dry pitcher and blended them to flour -- THAT was loud enough to be
heard from the street (although at least our windows were open). I think
it's about as noisy as any other blender.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/6/2012 9:56 PM, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> John Sorell wrote:
>
>> Does anybody have any experience with this brand of blender? I would
>> appreciate any comments.

> I have a fairly recent model Vitamix and I use it often. I used it
> tonight to make a zucchini soup (description posted in the zucchini
> thread).

I have a 3600 model I purchased on eBay but haven't tried making soup in
it yet. I like it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/7/2012 5:51 PM, ImStillMags wrote:

> It's loud but not as loud as the older models were. I don't mind it,
> it's no worse than the vacuum cleaner.

I don't think I've ever heard a blender that wasn't noisy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 17:08:53 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Aug 7, 1:02*pm, John Sorell > wrote:
>> dsi1 > wrote innews:jvrnp1$1v1$1@dont-
>> email.me:

>> web.com:

>> > It's noisy. Louder than an electric drill but quieter than a table saw.
>> > There's one in the kitchen and I hate that thing. We've never used it
>> > but my wife associates it with her mom and dad. Maybe I should have it
>> > framed and hung on the wall.

>> > It's well constructed, weighs about 10lbs, and rated at 1380W. It should
>> > be able to handle most anything you throw at it. The controls are easy
>> > to understand for neanderthals like me - an on/off switch, a speed dial,
>> > and a toggle to alternate between max power and the speed dial power. No
>> > push buttons - I like that. The blender container is of heavy
>> > construction and it sits between some rubberized supports. You don't
>> > have to lock the container to the base like most blenders - I like that.

>> > To sum up: it's noisy and well-built. Good luck!

>> Thanks David,
>>
>> I found out that my wife was shopping for one of these for my birthday. She
>> went to several stores for demos. It seems the model sold exclusively by
>> Williams Sonoma is considerably quieter than all the other models she
>> tested. It also cooks and freezes. It is also considerably more expensive
>> than the other models. She gave up on it as a gift when she got propelled
>> into the $799 stratosphere. That's a lotta inedible dough...
>>
>> John- Hide quoted text -

>John, you might check out this lady. She's a Vita Mix demonstration
>expert. Lots of info on her site.
>
>http://panhandlerlady.com/

There's even a link on her site where you can send her some money.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags > wrote in
:

> On Aug 7, 1:02*pm, John Sorell > wrote:
>> dsi1 > wrote innews:jvrnp1$1v1$1@dont-
>> email.me:

>> web.com:

>> > It's noisy. Louder than an electric drill but quieter than a table
>> > saw. There's one in the kitchen and I hate that thing. We've never
>> > used it but my wife associates it with her mom and dad. Maybe I
>> > should have it framed and hung on the wall.

>> > It's well constructed, weighs about 10lbs, and rated at 1380W. It
>> > shoul

>> > be able to handle most anything you throw at it. The controls are
>> > easy to understand for neanderthals like me - an on/off switch, a
>> > speed dial

> ,
>> > and a toggle to alternate between max power and the speed dial
>> > power. N

>> > push buttons - I like that. The blender container is of heavy
>> > construction and it sits between some rubberized supports. You
>> > don't have to lock the container to the base like most blenders - I
>> > like that

> .
>>
>> > To sum up: it's noisy and well-built. Good luck!

>> Thanks David,
>>
>> I found out that my wife was shopping for one of these for my
>> birthday. S

> he
>> went to several stores for demos. It seems the model sold exclusively
>> by Williams Sonoma is considerably quieter than all the other models
>> she tested. It also cooks and freezes. It is also considerably more
>> expensive than the other models. She gave up on it as a gift when she
>> got propelled into the $799 stratosphere. That's a lotta inedible
>> dough...
>>
>> John- Hide quoted text -

> John, you might check out this lady. She's a Vita Mix demonstration
> expert. Lots of info on her site.
>
> http://blenderlady.com/

Thanks! I will...

John
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger > wrote in news:5021cca5$0
:

> John Sorell asked:
>
>>> I have a fairly recent model Vitamix and I use it often. I used it
>>> tonight to make a zucchini soup (description posted in the zucchini
>>> thread).

>> How's the noise factor?

> It's usually not too bad, but today when I put a bunch of Corn Nuts

into
> the dry pitcher and blended them to flour -- THAT was loud enough to be
> heard from the street (although at least our windows were open). I

think
> it's about as noisy as any other blender.
>
> Bob

Thanks Bob,

I'm interested in making almond milk with the Vitamix. I suspect that may
be as loud as pulverizing corn nuts.

John

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl > wrote in news:5021db98$0$8768$a8266bb1
@newsreader.readnews.com:

> On 8/7/2012 5:51 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
>
>> It's loud but not as loud as the older models were. I don't mind it,
>> it's no worse than the vacuum cleaner.

> I don't think I've ever heard a blender that wasn't noisy.

My wife said the difference in the high end model offered by Williams
Sonoma was significantly quieter than the models she tested at Sur-La-Tab
and a local cooking store. Quiet enough to make her not even consider the
other models...

John
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Sorell wrote:
> Bob Terwilliger > wrote in news:5021cca5$0
> :
>

>> John Sorell asked:

>>> How's the noise factor?
>>>

>> It's usually not too bad, but today when I put a bunch of Corn Nuts
>>

> into
>
>> the dry pitcher and blended them to flour -- THAT was loud enough to be
>> heard from the street (although at least our windows were open). I
>>

> think
>
>> it's about as noisy as any other blender.
>>
>> Bob
>>

> Thanks Bob,
>
> I'm interested in making almond milk with the Vitamix. I suspect that may
> be as loud as pulverizing corn nuts.
>
> John

Soak the almonds overnight, then pour off the soaking water and make the
"milk" with fresh water.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/8/2012 8:25 AM, zxcvbob wrote:
> John Sorell wrote:
>> Thanks Bob,
>>
>> I'm interested in making almond milk with the Vitamix. I suspect that
>> may be as loud as pulverizing corn nuts.
>>
>> John

> Soak the almonds overnight, then pour off the soaking water and make the
> "milk" with fresh water.
>
> Bob

I made some broccoli soup yesterday. The Vitamix really does a number on
plant cell structures. You could probably make Lincoln Logs into a
drink. I would like to make almond milk next. How much almonds do I need
and don't you need to get almonds with the brown skins removed? Thanks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On 8/8/2012 8:25 AM, zxcvbob wrote:
>> John Sorell wrote:
>>> Thanks Bob,
>>>
>>> I'm interested in making almond milk with the Vitamix. I suspect that
>>> may be as loud as pulverizing corn nuts.
>>>
>>> John

>> Soak the almonds overnight, then pour off the soaking water and make the
>> "milk" with fresh water.
>>
>> Bob

> I made some broccoli soup yesterday. The Vitamix really does a number
> on plant cell structures. You could probably make Lincoln Logs into a
> drink. I would like to make almond milk next. How much almonds do I
> need and don't you need to get almonds with the brown skins removed?
> Thanks!

I buy big bags of raw almonds at Sam's or Fleet Farm, and sometimes soak
a few overnight to add to my morning smoothie. They still have the
skins on. I don't have a Vitamix anymore, I gave it to DD.

I did experiment with almond milk a few months ago with the Vitamix, and
I left the skins on but it made the milk slightly tan and gritty. You
can filter it though with a fine wire strainer. Use different amounts
of almonds until you figure out what you like. Blanched almonds will
work better but you'll miss out on the fiber

You will have to shake it up before use because it will settle somewhat
in the fridge.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/8/2012 10:37 AM, zxcvbob wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

>>> Soak the almonds overnight, then pour off the soaking water and make the
>>> "milk" with fresh water.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> I made some broccoli soup yesterday. The Vitamix really does a number
>> on plant cell structures. You could probably make Lincoln Logs into a
>> drink. I would like to make almond milk next. How much almonds do I
>> need and don't you need to get almonds with the brown skins removed?
>> Thanks!

> I buy big bags of raw almonds at Sam's or Fleet Farm, and sometimes soak
> a few overnight to add to my morning smoothie. They still have the
> skins on. I don't have a Vitamix anymore, I gave it to DD.
>
> I did experiment with almond milk a few months ago with the Vitamix, and
> I left the skins on but it made the milk slightly tan and gritty. You
> can filter it though with a fine wire strainer. Use different amounts
> of almonds until you figure out what you like. Blanched almonds will
> work better but you'll miss out on the fiber
>
> You will have to shake it up before use because it will settle somewhat
> in the fridge.
>
> Bob

I'm doing OK in the fiber department. I think I can get some blanched
almonds at Whole Foods. Thanks for your expert advice!