Old 24-03-2011, 08:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Pecan pie

In the south cane and corn syrup and molasses were common....and less expensive than refined sugars. The original recipes for pecan pie probably used them for that reason.

Personally I like the flavors that they bring, but I'm sure you could use just sugar if you wanted.

Here's my recipe, after many pecan pies, this is the one I came up with that I like the best.

http://www.hizzoners.com/recipes/coo...outh-pecan-pie

Old 24-03-2011, 08:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-03-24, ImStillMags wrote:
In the south cane and corn syrup and molasses were common....and less expensive than refined sugars. The original recipes for pecan pie probably used them for that reason.

Personally I like the flavors that they bring, but I'm sure you could use just sugar if you wanted.

Here's my recipe, after many pecan pies, this is the one I came up with that I like the best.

http://www.hizzoners.com/recipes/coo...outh-pecan-pie

Thanks fer the links.

Why are you still not wrapping yer posts? Google has nothing to do
with it.

nb
Old 24-03-2011, 10:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/03/2011 3:11 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
In the south cane and corn syrup and molasses were common....and less expensive than refined sugars. The original recipes for pecan pie probably used them for that reason.

That reminds me... when I was a kid we always had Lyle's golden Syrup on
hand. It was great on toast and my mother used it when making butter
tarts. I haven't noticed it in stores for a while, though I have to
admit that I haven't been looking for it.
Old 25-03-2011, 07:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

That reminds me... when I was a kid we always had Lyle's golden Syrup on
hand. It was great on toast and my mother used it when making butter
tarts. I haven't noticed it in stores for a while, though I have to
admit that I haven't been looking for it.

In the UK it's a standard product available everywhere. In the US it's
a specialty product sometimes only available at import shops. On
occasion I have seen it in regular groceries.

I haven't shopped regularly in Canadian groceries in several decades but
they seemed to go through phases of more UK products then more US
products.

Pecan pie notbob[_5_] General Cooking 63 27-03-2011 08:27 AM
Pecan pie ImStillMags General Cooking 33 25-03-2011 09:29 PM
Pecan pie ImStillMags General Cooking 0 24-03-2011 09:13 PM
Best Pecan Pie Nancy Inman Recipes (moderated) 0 25-11-2007 03:57 PM
Pecan Pie [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 08-02-2005 04:51 AM