Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pecan pie

Why do I need to use corn syrup for pecan pie? What? No one ate
pecan pie before the invention of corn syrup?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> Why do I need to use corn syrup for pecan pie? What? No one ate
> pecan pie before the invention of corn syrup?
>
> nb

Don't confuse "corn syrup" a very old invention with "high fructose corn
syrup", a much more modern invention.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> Why do I need to use corn syrup for pecan pie? What?

Sugar alchemy is controlling the temperature transistions and ratios of
glucose to fructose to acheive the desired texture. The reason pecan
pie uses corn syrup is to determine the final consistancy that
approaches a custard or pudding.

Regular corn syrup has a very high percentage of glucose. Other types
of sugar have different ratios of glucose and fructose with cane/beet
sugars being 50/50. Alton Brown treats corn syrup as 100% glucose.

> No one ate pecan pie before the invention of corn syrup?

Probably true. Both are native to the Americas and the pie is a recipe
of US colonists from Europe. Corn syrup is an old invention.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote:

>Why do I need to use corn syrup for pecan pie? What? No one ate
>pecan pie before the invention of corn syrup?

I've substituted maple syrup. It tastes better but it falls
apart more easily. TJ's grade B or C maple syrup -- mmmmm!

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 24, 2:42*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> notbob > wrote:
> >Why do I need to use corn syrup for pecan pie? *What? *No one ate
> >pecan pie before the invention of corn syrup?

> I've substituted maple syrup. It tastes better but it falls
> apart more easily. *TJ's grade B or C maple syrup -- mmmmm!
>
> S.

This is from John Thorne, and might be something more your speed. I
haven't made this, but it has been on my list to make for some eons.
If I were to make pecan pie again, I would make this one.

http://cookingwithali.wordpress.com/...-in-search-of/

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> Why do I need to use corn syrup for pecan pie? What? No one ate
> pecan pie before the invention of corn syrup?
>
> nb

If it makes you feel better you could probably substitute honey for
the corn syrup AND the white or brown sugar -- but then the moisture
content will probably be too high.

If you use all granulated sugar, the filling won't be creamy; it might
even crystallize.

If you don't want to use corn syrup, make a buttermilk pie instead of
a pecan pie.

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 24, 2:00*pm, notbob > wrote:
> Why do I need to use corn syrup for pecan pie? *What? *No one ate
> pecan pie before the invention of corn syrup?

They could easily have used invert sugar syrup instead.

> nb

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/24/2011 5:17 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>> Why do I need to use corn syrup for pecan pie? What? No one ate
>> pecan pie before the invention of corn syrup?
>>
>> nb

> If it makes you feel better you could probably substitute honey for the
> corn syrup AND the white or brown sugar -- but then the moisture content
> will probably be too high.
>
> If you use all granulated sugar, the filling won't be creamy; it might
> even crystallize.
>
> If you don't want to use corn syrup, make a buttermilk pie instead of a
> pecan pie.
>
> -Bob

We've successfully made pecan pies with Steen's Pure Cane syrup, and
East Texas favorite for years. Mostly we make them dark Karo syrup
though as that is the syrup most of the old recipes call for.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article .com>,
"Pete C." > wrote:

> notbob wrote:
> >
> > Why do I need to use corn syrup for pecan pie? What? No one ate
> > pecan pie before the invention of corn syrup?
> >
> > nb

> Don't confuse "corn syrup" a very old invention with "high fructose corn
> syrup", a much more modern invention.

Can you actually but HF corn syrup in "home cooking" size bottles? What
brand? What's the label look like? If you got it, what would you do with
it *that would be better* than using plain ol' corn syrup (like Karo)?

Isaac

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ]>,
isw > wrote:

> Can you actually but HF corn syrup in "home cooking" size bottles? What
> brand? What's the label look like? If you got it, what would you do with
> it *that would be better* than using plain ol' corn syrup (like Karo)?

We just had this discussion on a local food group. I'm not aware of it
being for sale to consumers in small bottles. It used to be that Karo
corn syrup contained some HFCS, but they've taken it out (except for the
pancake syrup). HFCS is preferred by US food manufacturers for two
reasons:

1. It's cheaper than regular sugar
2. Handling costs are less, since it can be pumped

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article ]>,
> isw > wrote:
>

>>Can you actually but HF corn syrup in "home cooking" size bottles? What
>>brand? What's the label look like? If you got it, what would you do with
>>it *that would be better* than using plain ol' corn syrup (like Karo)?

> We just had this discussion on a local food group. I'm not aware of it
> being for sale to consumers in small bottles. It used to be that Karo
> corn syrup contained some HFCS, but they've taken it out (except for the
> pancake syrup). HFCS is preferred by US food manufacturers for two
> reasons:
>
> 1. It's cheaper than regular sugar
> 2. Handling costs are less, since it can be pumped

Just FYI.

Molasses pecan pie
-----------------------

Mix 3 well beaten eggs with 1 cup of real "old fashioned" molasses
[unsulphrated iirc], 1/2 cup of dark corn syrup, 1 tsp. of vanilla and a
pinch of salt. When thoroughly blended, beat in 2 tbs. of melted
butter. Coat 1 cup of chopped pecans with 1 tbs. of flour, then stir
into the first mixture. Pour evenly into an unbaked pie shell, bake in
a moderate oven (350 F) for about 40 minutes or until set, cool and
serve.

-----------------------

Its just my own opinion, but i enjoy a cream sherry with the pecan pie a
la mode (or with whipped cream). I have often thought of trying to
introduce the cream sherry into the recipe but as yet have not quite
figured out how, though i have an eggnog pecan pie recipe that call for
sherry but is made with gelatine.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> Why do I need to use corn syrup for pecan pie? What? No one ate
> pecan pie before the invention of corn syrup?
>
> nb

I think you're confusing HFCS with plain old bottled corn syrup - light,
dark corn syrup. It's been used for years in making candy and pies.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/25/2011 9:50 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> "notbob" > wrote in message
>> Why do I need to use corn syrup for pecan pie? What? No one ate
>> pecan pie before the invention of corn syrup?
>>
>> nb

> I think you're confusing HFCS with plain old bottled corn syrup - light,
> dark corn syrup. It's been used for years in making candy and pies.
>
> Jill

HFCS means "high fructose corn syrup" and just what is supposed to be
wrong with fructose? Fructose is half of the sucrose molecule anyway
(the rest is glucose).

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm "not"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25/03/2011 1:04 AM, Dan Abel wrote:

> We just had this discussion on a local food group. I'm not aware of it
> being for sale to consumers in small bottles. It used to be that Karo
> corn syrup contained some HFCS, but they've taken it out (except for the
> pancake syrup). HFCS is preferred by US food manufacturers for two
> reasons:
>
> 1. It's cheaper than regular sugar
> 2. Handling costs are less, since it can be pumped

If you buy sugar in large enough quantities you get it in bulk and it
can be blown, which is similar to pumping, or it can be dumped. When
you buy liquids they have to be stored in tanks and since it is a food
product it would use stainless steel, and that can be expensive.
However...... the food business empire being what it is, it is a safe
bet that there is money ssved by using HFCS instead of real sugar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> Why do I need to use corn syrup for pecan pie? What? No one ate
> pecan pie before the invention of corn syrup?
>
> nb

Even according to Karo, the corn-syrup-based pie originated in the
1930s. I have found a few references to earlier versions and a
recipe for a pie from 1922 that contains molasses and white sugar:

Pecan Molasses Pie

2 eggs
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup sugar.
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tablespoon butter
1/2 tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup pecan pieces.

Let molasses and butter come to a boll, then pour slowly Into
eggs, sugar, milk and flour, which have been well beaten. Cook,
add vanilla and pecans. When cool pour crust and bake.

This was one of three recipes furnished by H. G. Lucas, President
of the Texas Pecan Growers Association, Brownwood, Texas, and
published in a Texas Department of Agriculture Bulletin, which
appeared in Economic Entomology: Pamphlets, Vol. 155 (1922), pp
144-145.

The other two recipe are not in the same line, as far as I am
concerned. There are also a smattering of references to a San
Saba Pecan Pie, but I have not yet found a recipe for that. Maybe
I will find one in my currently packed material.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine wrote:
> On Mar 24, 2:42 pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
>> notbob > wrote:
>>> Why do I need to use corn syrup for pecan pie? What? No one ate
>>> pecan pie before the invention of corn syrup?

>> I've substituted maple syrup. It tastes better but it falls
>> apart more easily. TJ's grade B or C maple syrup -- mmmmm!
>>
>> S.

> This is from John Thorne, and might be something more your speed. I
> haven't made this, but it has been on my list to make for some eons.
> If I were to make pecan pie again, I would make this one.
>
> http://cookingwithali.wordpress.com/...-in-search-of/
>
> Christine

Mmmm. That looks meritorious!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
> On 3/24/2011 5:17 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
>> notbob wrote:
>>> Why do I need to use corn syrup for pecan pie? What? No one ate
>>> pecan pie before the invention of corn syrup?
>>>
>>> nb

>> If it makes you feel better you could probably substitute honey for the
>> corn syrup AND the white or brown sugar -- but then the moisture content
>> will probably be too high.
>>
>> If you use all granulated sugar, the filling won't be creamy; it might
>> even crystallize.
>>
>> If you don't want to use corn syrup, make a buttermilk pie instead of a
>> pecan pie.
>>
>> -Bob

> We've successfully made pecan pies with Steen's Pure Cane syrup, and
> East Texas favorite for years. Mostly we make them dark Karo syrup
> though as that is the syrup most of the old recipes call for.

Wellll, you don't have to follow those recipes.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

M. JL Esq. wrote:
> Dan Abel wrote:
>> In article ]>,
>> isw > wrote:
>>

>>> Can you actually but HF corn syrup in "home cooking" size bottles?
>>> What brand? What's the label look like? If you got it, what would you
>>> do with it *that would be better* than using plain ol' corn syrup
>>> (like Karo)?

>> We just had this discussion on a local food group. I'm not aware of
>> it being for sale to consumers in small bottles. It used to be that
>> Karo corn syrup contained some HFCS, but they've taken it out (except
>> for the pancake syrup). HFCS is preferred by US food manufacturers
>> for two reasons:
>>
>> 1. It's cheaper than regular sugar
>> 2. Handling costs are less, since it can be pumped

> Just FYI.
>

> Molasses pecan pie
> -----------------------
>
> Mix 3 well beaten eggs with 1 cup of real "old fashioned" molasses
> [unsulphrated iirc], 1/2 cup of dark corn syrup, 1 tsp. of vanilla and a
> pinch of salt. When thoroughly blended, beat in 2 tbs. of melted
> butter. Coat 1 cup of chopped pecans with 1 tbs. of flour, then stir
> into the first mixture. Pour evenly into an unbaked pie shell, bake in
> a moderate oven (350 F) for about 40 minutes or until set, cool and
> serve.
>
> -----------------------
>
> Its just my own opinion, but i enjoy a cream sherry with the pecan pie a
> la mode (or with whipped cream). I have often thought of trying to
> introduce the cream sherry into the recipe but as yet have not quite
> figured out how, though i have an eggnog pecan pie recipe that call for
> sherry but is made with gelatine.
> --
> JL

You could look at the recipes that contain bourbon and sub the
cream sherry.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> On 3/25/2011 9:50 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> "notbob" > wrote in message
>>> Why do I need to use corn syrup for pecan pie? What? No one ate
>>> pecan pie before the invention of corn syrup?
>>>
>>> nb

>> I think you're confusing HFCS with plain old bottled corn syrup - light,
>> dark corn syrup. It's been used for years in making candy and pies.
>>
>> Jill

> HFCS means "high fructose corn syrup" and just what is supposed to be
> wrong with fructose? Fructose is half of the sucrose molecule anyway
> (the rest is glucose).

It has a duller taste than sugar and is possibly correlated with
some health issues? Come to think of it, I wonder whether things
using the regular corn syrup would also taste more dull to me. I
don't know how I'd ever figure that out with the same products.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

isw wrote:

> In article .com>,
> "Pete C." > wrote:
>
> > notbob wrote:
> > >
> > > Why do I need to use corn syrup for pecan pie? What? No one ate
> > > pecan pie before the invention of corn syrup?
> > >
> > > nb

> > Don't confuse "corn syrup" a very old invention with "high fructose corn
> > syrup", a much more modern invention.

> Can you actually but HF corn syrup in "home cooking" size bottles? What
> brand? What's the label look like? If you got it, what would you do with
> it *that would be better* than using plain ol' corn syrup (like Karo)?
>
> Isaac

My point was that with the current hype over HFCS in everything, when
people read "corn syrup" in a recipe they likely equate it with HFCS
when in fact it is very different. NB's "What? No one ate pecan pie
before the invention of corn syrup" implies that he may have been
thinking this way, with HFCS being a modern manipulated product, when
the "corn syrup" referenced is not HFCS and is a minimally processed
item and has existed for centuries.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/25/2011 10:40 AM, Jean B. wrote:
> James Silverton wrote:

>>> I think you're confusing HFCS with plain old bottled corn syrup - light,
>>> dark corn syrup. It's been used for years in making candy and pies.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> HFCS means "high fructose corn syrup" and just what is supposed to be
>> wrong with fructose? Fructose is half of the sucrose molecule anyway
>> (the rest is glucose).
>>

> It has a duller taste than sugar and is possibly correlated with some
> health issues? Come to think of it, I wonder whether things using the
> regular corn syrup would also taste more dull to me. I don't know how
> I'd ever figure that out with the same products.

I'm not disagreeing with you but I think it might be worthwhile stating
some facts, especially when you find people saying things like "Karo
corn syrup used to contain some high fructose corn syrup".

Table sugar (sucrose) is a disaccharide, which is composed of a glucose
molecule linked to a fructose molecule. Fructose is actually slightly
sweeter in taste than glucose or sucrose but sucrose readily dissociates
to fructose and glucose in the gut. I haven't seen any evidence that I
find convincing to persuade me that fructose alone poses more danger
than sucrose to diabetics. I don't know whether traditional corn syrup
is high *glucose* or not. Perhaps it should be despised as unnatural
HGCS :-)

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm "not"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-03-25, James Silverton > wrote:

> some facts, especially when you find people saying things like "Karo
> corn syrup used to contain some high fructose corn syrup".

What facts would that be?

I'm holding a pint bottle of a house brand "light corn syrup". The
ingredients listed a light corn syrup, water, high fructose corn
syrup, salt, vanilla. As expected, no percentages are given. Why
would I expect Karo to be any different?

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> James Silverton wrote:

>>> I think you're confusing HFCS with plain old bottled corn syrup - light,
>>> dark corn syrup. It's been used for years in making candy and pies.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> HFCS means "high fructose corn syrup" and just what is supposed to be
>> wrong with fructose? Fructose is half of the sucrose molecule anyway
>> (the rest is glucose).
>>

> It has a duller taste than sugar and is possibly correlated with some
> health issues? Come to think of it, I wonder whether things using the
> regular corn syrup would also taste more dull to me. I don't know how
> I'd ever figure that out with the same products.

It should taste just like honey without any flavor except sweet, or
like invert sugar syrup.

They use HFCS in the USA to avoid the excise tax on sugar. It's not
significantly better or worse for you than honey or beet sugar or cane
sugar (they are all bad.) The problem is just overuse.

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2011-03-25, James Silverton > wrote:
>

>> some facts, especially when you find people saying things like "Karo
>> corn syrup used to contain some high fructose corn syrup".

> What facts would that be?
>
> I'm holding a pint bottle of a house brand "light corn syrup". The
> ingredients listed a light corn syrup, water, high fructose corn
> syrup, salt, vanilla. As expected, no percentages are given. Why
> would I expect Karo to be any different?
>
> nb

Cuz you buy that cheap stuff. ;-)

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> Why do I need to use corn syrup for pecan pie? What? No one ate
> pecan pie before the invention of corn syrup?
>
> nb

No one is forcing you to make/eat pecan pie. Get over it

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> notbob wrote:
>> Why do I need to use corn syrup for pecan pie? What? No one ate
>> pecan pie before the invention of corn syrup?
>>
>> nb

> Even according to Karo, the corn-syrup-based pie originated in the 1930s.
> I have found a few references to earlier versions and a recipe for a pie
> from 1922 that contains molasses and white sugar:
>
> Pecan Molasses Pie
>
> 2 eggs
> 1/2 cup molasses
> 1/2 cup sugar.
> 1/2 cup milk
> 1/2 tablespoon butter
> 1/2 tablespoon flour
> 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
> 3/4 cup pecan pieces.
>
> Let molasses and butter come to a boll, then pour slowly Into eggs, sugar,
> milk and flour, which have been well beaten. Cook, add vanilla and pecans.
> When cool pour crust and bake.
>
> This was one of three recipes furnished by H. G. Lucas, President of the
> Texas Pecan Growers Association, Brownwood, Texas, and published in a
> Texas Department of Agriculture Bulletin, which appeared in Economic
> Entomology: Pamphlets, Vol. 155 (1922), pp 144-145.
>
> The other two recipe are not in the same line, as far as I am concerned.
> There are also a smattering of references to a San Saba Pecan Pie, but I
> have not yet found a recipe for that. Maybe I will find one in my
> currently packed material.
>

> --
> Jean B.

There you go, Jean! I love old recipes. But then again, my mother (nor my
grandmother) AFAIK ever baked a pecan pie. Maybe a chess pie? My family
was from Pennsylvania/Ohio. I really don't remember pies. Desserts weren't
part of my upbringing. Some people grew up in families where you always had
dessert after dinner. A slice of pie, a piece of cake. <shrugs>

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/25/2011 11:10 AM, Pete C. wrote:

> isw wrote:
>>
>> In monster.com>,

>>> Don't confuse "corn syrup" a very old invention with "high fructose corn
>>> syrup", a much more modern invention.

>> Can you actually but HF corn syrup in "home cooking" size bottles? What
>> brand? What's the label look like? If you got it, what would you do with
>> it *that would be better* than using plain ol' corn syrup (like Karo)?
>>
>> Isaac

> My point was that with the current hype over HFCS in everything, when
> people read "corn syrup" in a recipe they likely equate it with HFCS
> when in fact it is very different.

The whole point is that HFCS is not a separate entity. It is corn syrup
enhanced in the amount of fructose and plain "corn syrup" is *not* very
different even if the proportions of fructose and glucose are different
from high fructose corn syrup.
--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm "not"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-03-25, The Cook > wrote:

> My bottle of Karo (Original) Light Corn Syrup lists the ingredients as
> corn syrupy, salt and vanilla. And it is a pretty new bottle, not
> something I have had on the shelf for years.

Yeah. I found the Karo website where they stated their syrup used to
contain HFCS, but due to customer imput, they've taken it out.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Jean B. > wrote:
>Christine wrote:
>> On Mar 24, 2:42 pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:

>>> I've substituted maple syrup. It tastes better but it falls
>>> apart more easily. TJ's grade B or C maple syrup -- mmmmm!

>> This is from John Thorne, and might be something more your speed. I
>> haven't made this, but it has been on my list to make for some eons.
>> If I were to make pecan pie again, I would make this one.
>>
>> http://cookingwithali.wordpress.com/...-in-search-of/
>>
>> Christine

>Mmmm. That looks meritorious!

It does. Thanks Christine.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, susan_r23666
@yahoo.com says...

> On 25 Mar 2011 15:27:48 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
> >On 2011-03-25, James Silverton > wrote:
> >

> >> some facts, especially when you find people saying things like "Karo
> >> corn syrup used to contain some high fructose corn syrup".

> >What facts would that be?
> >
> >I'm holding a pint bottle of a house brand "light corn syrup". The
> >ingredients listed a light corn syrup, water, high fructose corn
> >syrup, salt, vanilla. As expected, no percentages are given. Why
> >would I expect Karo to be any different?
> >
> >nb

> My bottle of Karo (Original) Light Corn Syrup lists the ingredients as
> corn syrupy, salt and vanilla. And it is a pretty new bottle, not
> something I have had on the shelf for years.
>
> Treat yourself to some good stuff.

If you read the label on a bottle of Karo Light or Karo Dark on the
shelf in the market today you'll see that it says, prominently, "0g High
Fructose Corn Syrup". Their pancake syrup, on the other hand, does have
HVFCS.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/25/2011 3:18 PM, The Cook wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 10:01:44 -0400, James Silverton
> > wrote:

>>> I think you're confusing HFCS with plain old bottled corn syrup - light,
>>> dark corn syrup. It's been used for years in making candy and pies.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> HFCS means "high fructose corn syrup" and just what is supposed to be
>> wrong with fructose? Fructose is half of the sucrose molecule anyway
>> (the rest is glucose).

> Check this out.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4uuwv4p

This implies that eating a higher proportion of fructose than is present
in natural table sugar (sucrose) may be conducive to obesity. Maybe so,
maybe no, but it sounds more like the stuff produced by that quack
("Dr.") Gary Null.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm "not"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
<
> HFCS means "high fructose corn syrup" and just what is supposed to be
> wrong with fructose? Fructose is half of the sucrose molecule anyway
> (the rest is glucose).

There are studies that fed one set of rats cane/beet sugar and another
set of rats HFCS. Both sets of rats got fat. The HFCS set of rats got
fatter on the same number of calories.

I think that effect is the smaller of two effects. I think the biggest
effect is price. In the US HFCS costs less so manufactures use more. A
product with more sugar tends to be more fattening than a product with
less sugar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25 Mar 2011 15:27:48 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2011-03-25, James Silverton > wrote:
>

>> some facts, especially when you find people saying things like "Karo
>> corn syrup used to contain some high fructose corn syrup".

>What facts would that be?
>
>I'm holding a pint bottle of a house brand "light corn syrup". The
>ingredients listed a light corn syrup, water, high fructose corn
>syrup, salt, vanilla. As expected, no percentages are given. Why
>would I expect Karo to be any different?
>
>nb

My bottle of Karo (Original) Light Corn Syrup lists the ingredients as
corn syrupy, salt and vanilla. And it is a pretty new bottle, not
something I have had on the shelf for years.

Treat yourself to some good stuff.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 10:01:44 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

>On 3/25/2011 9:50 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> "notbob" > wrote in message
>>> Why do I need to use corn syrup for pecan pie? What? No one ate
>>> pecan pie before the invention of corn syrup?
>>>
>>> nb

>> I think you're confusing HFCS with plain old bottled corn syrup - light,
>> dark corn syrup. It's been used for years in making candy and pies.
>>
>> Jill

>HFCS means "high fructose corn syrup" and just what is supposed to be
>wrong with fructose? Fructose is half of the sucrose molecule anyway
>(the rest is glucose).

Check this out.

http://tinyurl.com/4uuwv4p
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> On 3/25/2011 11:10 AM, Pete C. wrote:
> >
> > isw wrote:

> >> Can you actually but HF corn syrup in "home cooking" size bottles? What
> >> brand? What's the label look like? If you got it, what would you do with
> >> it *that would be better* than using plain ol' corn syrup (like Karo)?
> >>
> >> Isaac

> > My point was that with the current hype over HFCS in everything, when
> > people read "corn syrup" in a recipe they likely equate it with HFCS
> > when in fact it is very different.

> The whole point is that HFCS is not a separate entity. It is corn syrup
> enhanced in the amount of fructose and plain "corn syrup" is *not* very
> different even if the proportions of fructose and glucose are different
> from high fructose corn syrup.

They are very different, both in the proportions and processing.

http://highfructosehigh.com/corn-syr...vs-corn-sugar/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_syrup

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-fructose_corn_syrup
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 13:38:21 -0500, The Cook >
wrote:

> My bottle of Karo (Original) Light Corn Syrup lists the ingredients as
> corn syrupy, salt and vanilla. And it is a pretty new bottle, not
> something I have had on the shelf for years.

I have two, the new style in a plastic bottle and old style in a glass
bottle.

glass bottle -
light corn syrup with High Fructose Corn Syrup, salt, vanilla

plastic bottle (now labeled "original") -
corn syrup, salt, vanilla

I also have the two styles of dark syrup. The new one hasn't been
opened yet, but it has separated: dark on top, light on the bottom.
The old one has not separated and I've never even considered that it
would separate until I saw the one in my cupboard.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I wonder if a buttermilk-maple syrup-pecan-whisky pie would work.

If my food chemistry knowledge were better I'd attempt such a thing.

Steve

Pecan pie ImStillMags General Cooking 33 25-03-2011 09:29 PM
Pecan pie ImStillMags General Cooking 0 24-03-2011 09:13 PM
Best Pecan Pie Nancy Inman Recipes (moderated) 0 25-11-2007 03:57 PM
Pecan Pie [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 08-02-2005 04:51 AM
Pecan Pie MrFalafel Vegan 1 11-11-2003 02:20 PM