Posted to rec.food.cooking
Giusi Giusi is offline

Default NEED A GOOD COOK BOOK TO MAKE A GOOD GRAVY LIKE MOM MADE!

"Janet Wilder" > ha scritto nel messaggio

Julie Bove wrote:
Yes, in Italy they call tomato sauce "gravy".

>> And yet when *I* used that term, few people knew what I meant.
>>

> I knew. I grew up with Sicilianos. They taught me to cook Italian food.

It's just the result of bad translation. Sugo infers that meat is involved
in some way whereas salsa infers there was not. Neither one of them really
means "gravy" but in the US they had to come up with a word.
My mother's best friend was Napolitana and her husband Siciliano, both
arrived there as babies. They never used the term gravy. It seems to be
more geographical in the US than to do with geographical in Italy.