Default Kosher Salt

Is there such a difference between kosher salt and regular table salt when
in solution such that recipes will specify using kosher salt to be dissolved
in the liquid?

Sheldon

> Is there such a difference between kosher salt and regular table salt

when
> in solution such that recipes will specify using kosher salt to be

dissolved
> in the liquid?

In solution there is no difference whatsover.

Sheldon

Joe Yudelson

Hi: T;rue Kosher salt does not have the anticaking additive and no
potassium iodide.

Joe
> wrote in message
> Is there such a difference between kosher salt and regular table salt when
> in solution such that recipes will specify using kosher salt to be
> dissolved
> in the liquid?

Sheldon

Joe Yudelson wrote:
>True Kosher salt does not have the anticaking additive and no
> potassium iodide.

NOT true. Some brands of Kosher Salt do indeed contain anti-caking
compounds.

Sheldon

zxcvbob

Joe Yudelson wrote:
> Hi: T;rue Kosher salt does not have the anticaking additive and no
> potassium iodide.

Some brands do. Morton's kosher salt contains sodium ferrocyanide to
prevent caking.

Kosher salt is crushed into little flakes, so it measures different than
table salt (it's fluffier, therefore it is less dense and you get less
salt per volumetric measure.) Other than that, it is no different than
non-iodized table salt. (and there is no reason it couldn't be iodized,
it just isn't)

Bob
Dave Smith

Sheldon wrote:

> > There is some iodine in table salt.

> Only if it's "Iodized". Most table salt sold is marked "Non Iodized".

In Canada, all table salt is iodized.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Joe Yudelson" > wrote in message
> Hi: T;rue Kosher salt does not have the anticaking additive and no
> potassium iodide.

Morton has anti-caking in their kosher salt, Diamond does not.

Sheldon

Dave Smith wrote:

> In Canada, all table salt is iodized.

For medical reasons I don't think so.

Regardless of the name brand on the packaging (ie. Diamond Crystal)
most of the world's marketed salt is a Cargill product, such questions
are answerd at: http://www.cargillsalt.com/cargillsalt/default.asp

Dave Smith

Sheldon wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
> >
> > In Canada, all table salt is iodized.

> For medical reasons I don't think so.

All the "table salt" that I have bought here has been iodized. When you
suggested that not all table salt was iodized I did some surfing and found
several sources that said that all table salt in Canada is iodized, and it
is done for health reasons, namely to eliminate endemic goiter.

http://www.purifymind.com/Iodine.htm
http://www.vegansociety.com/html/foo...ion/iodine.php
http://www.flaxcouncil.ca/FlaxPrimer_Chptr11.pdf

PENMART01

>Dave Smith writes:
>
>Sheldon wrote:
>> Dave Smith wrote:
>> >
>> > In Canada, all table salt is iodized.

>> For medical reasons I don't think so.

>All the "table salt" that I have bought here has been iodized. When you
>suggested that not all table salt was iodized I did some surfing and found
>several sources that said that all table salt in Canada is iodized, and it
>is done for health reasons, namely to eliminate endemic goiter.
>

>http://www.purifymind.com/Iodine.htm
>http://www.vegansociety.com/html/foo...ion/iodine.php
>http://www.flaxcouncil.ca/FlaxPrimer_Chptr11.pdf

None of those websites mention anything about table salt in Canada, they don't
even mention Canada... not that Canada is worth mentioning[peroid]

In fact your first website clearly states that excessive ingestion of Iodine is
dangerous.

"It is important not to over-consume iodine as it has a relatively narrow range
of intakes that reliably support good thyroid function (about 100 to 300
micrograms per day). Someone consuming large amounts of iodised salt or
seaweeds could readily overdo it. Excessive iodine has a complex disruptive
effect on the thyroid and may cause either hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism,
in susceptible individuals, as well as increasing the risk of thyroid cancer.
Hyperthyroidism may also occur, particularly in elderly people, due to long
term slight iodine deficiency as this may result in additional nodules on the
thyroid.
Hyperthyroidism may manifest as an enlarged thyroid (goitre), heart rate
irregularities, tremor, sweating, palpitations, nervousness and increased
activity and eye abnormalities. Some individuals deliberately take kelp to try
to lose weight by over stimulating the thyroid. This is a dangerous practice."
[continues]

It's patently obvious that you do not read the information on the websites you
supply... you obviously are incapable of reading with comprehension... you are
without any doubt whatsoever a functional illiterate. You probably consume
excessive Iodized salt and have developed cretinism.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
zxcvbob

PENMART01 wrote:
>>Dave Smith writes:
>>
>>Sheldon wrote:

>>>For medical reasons I don't think so.

>>All the "table salt" that I have bought here has been iodized. When you
>>suggested that not all table salt was iodized I did some surfing and found
>>several sources that said that all table salt in Canada is iodized, and it
>>is done for health reasons, namely to eliminate endemic goiter.
>>

>>http://www.purifymind.com/Iodine.htm
>>http://www.vegansociety.com/html/foo...ion/iodine.php
>>http://www.flaxcouncil.ca/FlaxPrimer_Chptr11.pdf

> None of those websites mention anything about table salt in Canada, they don't
> even mention Canada... not that Canada is worth mentioning[peroid]
>
> In fact your first website clearly states that excessive ingestion of Iodine is
> dangerous.
>
> "It is important not to over-consume iodine as it has a relatively narrow range
> of intakes that reliably support good thyroid function (about 100 to 300
> micrograms per day). Someone consuming large amounts of iodised salt or
> seaweeds could readily overdo it. Excessive iodine has a complex disruptive
> effect on the thyroid and may cause either hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism,
> in susceptible individuals, as well as increasing the risk of thyroid cancer.
> Hyperthyroidism may also occur, particularly in elderly people, due to long
> term slight iodine deficiency as this may result in additional nodules on the
> thyroid.
> Hyperthyroidism may manifest as an enlarged thyroid (goitre), heart rate
> irregularities, tremor, sweating, palpitations, nervousness and increased
> activity and eye abnormalities. Some individuals deliberately take kelp to try
> to lose weight by over stimulating the thyroid. This is a dangerous practice."
> [continues]
>
> It's patently obvious that you do not read the information on the websites you
> supply... you obviously are incapable of reading with comprehension... you are
> without any doubt whatsoever a functional illiterate. You probably consume
> excessive Iodized salt and have developed cretinism.

Actually, all three web sites say that all table salt in Canada is
iodized. The first link mentions it in the 2nd paragraph. (I guess
Canadians that are overly sensitive to iodine use pickling salt.)

Bob
Dave Smith

PENMART01 wrote:

> >All the "table salt" that I have bought here has been iodized. When you
> >suggested that not all table salt was iodized I did some surfing and found
> >several sources that said that all table salt in Canada is iodized, and it
> >is done for health reasons, namely to eliminate endemic goiter.
> >

> >http://www.purifymind.com/Iodine.htm
> >http://www.vegansociety.com/html/foo...ion/iodine.php
> >http://www.flaxcouncil.ca/FlaxPrimer_Chptr11.pdf

> None of those websites mention anything about table salt in Canada, they don't
> even mention Canada... not that Canada is worth mentioning[peroid]
>
> In fact your first website clearly states that excessive ingestion of Iodine is
> dangerous.

Yes, it does say that. You quoted the fourth paragraph of the article. In the
second paragraph is says " In Canada all table salt is iodised." If your attention
span fails you when reading perhaps you should try the Edit/Find function on your
mail reader.

> It's patently obvious that you do not read the information on the websites you
> supply... you obviously are incapable of reading with comprehension... you are
> without any doubt whatsoever a functional illiterate. You probably consume
> excessive Iodized salt and have developed cretinism.

That speaks volumes for your failure to spot the relevant information.

The second cite also says " In Canada all table salt is iodized." (last line of the
third paragraph). And in the fourth paragraph of the third cite is says "In Canada
table salt has been iodized since the 1930s to eliminate endemic goiter in inland
areas where dietary iodine was inadequate. The addition of iodine to table salt is
required in Canada and is permitted in the United States."

Rhonda Anderson

Dave Smith > wrote in
:

> PENMART01 wrote:
>

>> It's patently obvious that you do not read the information on the
>> websites you supply... you obviously are incapable of reading with
>> comprehension... you are without any doubt whatsoever a functional
>> illiterate. You probably consume excessive Iodized salt and have
>> developed cretinism.

> That speaks volumes for your failure to spot the relevant information.
>
> The second cite also says " In Canada all table salt is iodized."
> (last line of the third paragraph). And in the fourth paragraph of the
> third cite is says "In Canada table salt has been iodized since the
> 1930s to eliminate endemic goiter in inland areas where dietary iodine
> was inadequate. The addition of iodine to table salt is required in
> Canada and is permitted in the United States."

That's interesting. Here, it is not required that table salt be iodized,
though you can buy iodized table salt. Last week, I read an article about
health issues in Australian children, and one was iodine deficiency. I've
read about this before - it was mentioned in the press last year, I think.
They link this to lowered consumption of salt, and less availability and
use (less being purchased) of iodized salt. Interestingly, they also
mentioned that milk now has lower iodine levels, as iodine is no longer
used to sterilise milk vats. The head of the Australian Centre for Control
of Iodine Deficiency Disorders recommended that Australia follow the lead
of the World Health Organisation which advocates universal salt iodisation.

Presumably, you have very low levels of iodine deficiency in Canada.

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Dave Smith

zxcvbob wrote:

> > It's patently obvious that you do not read the information on the websites you
> > supply... you obviously are incapable of reading with comprehension... you are
> > without any doubt whatsoever a functional illiterate. You probably consume
> > excessive Iodized salt and have developed cretinism.
> >

> Actually, all three web sites say that all table salt in Canada is
> iodized. The first link mentions it in the 2nd paragraph.

I doubt Sheldon will see the irony suggesting my being functionally illiterate and
having a problem with reading comprehension for my three links, all of which did date
quite clearly that ALL table salt in Canada is iodized.

> (I guess
> Canadians that are overly sensitive to iodine use pickling salt.)

I thought that was why it was sold as pickling salt, not table salt. Many recipes
that involve brining say not to use table salt (because it is iodized.

Dave Smith

Rhonda Anderson wrote:

> That's interesting. Here, it is not required that table salt be iodized,
> though you can buy iodized table salt. Last week, I read an article about
> health issues in Australian children, and one was iodine deficiency. I've
> read about this before - it was mentioned in the press last year, I think.
> They link this to lowered consumption of salt, and less availability and
> use (less being purchased) of iodized salt. Interestingly, they also
> mentioned that milk now has lower iodine levels, as iodine is no longer
> used to sterilise milk vats. The head of the Australian Centre for Control
> of Iodine Deficiency Disorders recommended that Australia follow the lead
> of the World Health Organisation which advocates universal salt iodisation.
>
> Presumably, you have very low levels of iodine deficiency in Canada.

That may be. I know of only one person who developed a goiter, and that was one
of my nieces. Her mother was a health food fanatic who insisted on sea salt,
claiming it was a purer salt. SIL now uses table salt.

Member

Depends... taste for yourself... I taste a difference... The terms Kosher and non-iodized have become used interchangably even though they do NOT mean the same thing... Kosher is generally interpreted to mean clean and pure... Kosher salt would be interpreted to mean pure salt without any anti-caking agents or iodine suppliments added, prepared under rabblical supervision to insure proper processing and handling. Non-iodized table salt would be salt which does not have and iodine suppliment added, but may contain anti-caking additives... Canning salt should be pure salt but not necessarily prepared under rabblical supervision... For canning it is thought that ioding might cause off-colors in the product... The classic chemistry experiment to detect iodine or starch is to bring either questionable item in contact with a known. One of each produces a blue color... I haven't dumped table salt (iodized) on a piece of wet bread (starch) to see if it turns blue...
Wait until the TV chefs "discover" "sea salt"...

Quote:
Is there such a difference between kosher salt and regular table salt when
in solution such that recipes will specify using kosher salt to be dissolved
in the liquid?
Scott

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> There is some iodine in table salt. Recipes for smoking fish specify that you
> not use table salt.

There *can* be iodine in table salt, depending upon where you live and
the brand you buy.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Scott

In article >,
"Joe Yudelson" > wrote:

> Hi: T;rue Kosher salt does not have the anticaking additive and no
> potassium iodide.

Kosher salt is flaked salt made to stick to the outside of meat. Whether
or not it has anti-caking additives isn't part of the definition. Morton
Kosher Salt, for example, contains anti-caking agents.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>

Sheldon

zxcvbob wrote:

> Kosher salt is crushed into little flakes,

Kosher Salt is not formed into flakes by crushing, the flakes are
formed by stirring the salt slurry continously during evaporation.

> Other than that, it is no different than
> non-iodized table salt. (and there is no reason it couldn't be

iodized,
> it just isn't)

Kosher Salt is not iodized for a reason. Kosher Salt is primarilly
intended for kashering raw meat and during the process the iodine would
impart an off flavor.

zxcvbob

Sheldon wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> Kosher salt is crushed into little flakes,

> Kosher Salt is not formed into flakes by crushing, the flakes are
> formed by stirring the salt slurry continously during evaporation.

I thought I read at diamondsalt.com, or someplace like that, that the
flakes were formed by crushing. I can't find it now, so maybe I just
imagined that part. The point was that the grains are shaped in little
flakes instead of cubes.

>> Other than that, it is no different than non-iodized table salt.
>> (and there is no reason it couldn't be iodized, it just isn't)

> Kosher Salt is not iodized for a reason. Kosher Salt is primarilly
> intended for kashering raw meat and during the process the iodine
> would impart an off flavor.

I know where the name "kosher" comes from. You are probably right about
not wanting iodine in the meat; my point was that adding iodine wouldn't
make the salt any less "kosher". Iodized table salt with anticaking
additives is still parve, and could be used for kashering meat -- it
just would not be an ideal use for it. (Pickling salt does a fine job
of kashering, it's just not as fast as kosher salt because it dissolves
more slowly)

It's amazing how many web sites say kosher salt is kosher because it has
no additives nor impurities.

Best regards,
Bob
Sheldon

It's amazing how many web sites say kosher salt is kosher because it
has
no additives nor impurities.

Best regards,
Bob

Yeah, ain't it amazing how many pinheads crap on the internet, just
like in real life.

Sheldon

Kenneth

On 17 Feb 2005 13:12:27 -0800, "Sheldon" >
wrote:

>zxcvbob wrote:
>>
>> Kosher salt is crushed into little flakes,

>Kosher Salt is not formed into flakes by crushing, the flakes are
>formed by stirring the salt slurry continously during evaporation.
>
>> Other than that, it is no different than
>> non-iodized table salt. (and there is no reason it couldn't be

>iodized,
>> it just isn't)

>Kosher Salt is not iodized for a reason. Kosher Salt is primarilly
>intended for kashering raw meat and during the process the iodine would
>impart an off flavor.

Howdy,

I just opened a fresh box of Diamond Crystal Kosher salt:

Cubic crystals. Not flakes... 'Sorry.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Dave Smith

Scott wrote:

> In article >,
> Dave Smith > wrote:
>
> > There is some iodine in table salt. Recipes for smoking fish specify that you
> > not use table salt.

> There *can* be iodine in table salt, depending upon where you live and
> the brand you buy.

Yes. As I posted earlier, in the USA table salt may be iodized. In Canada table
salt is always iodized.

Jude

So now tell me, what do you use Kosher Salt for? I have a huge box of
it that I bought to put on hot pretzels on Superbowl Sunday. it's now
sitting, unused and unloved, in my kitchen cabinet. Recipe ideas?

Kenneth

On 17 Feb 2005 15:58:19 -0800, "Jude" >
wrote:

>So now tell me, what do you use Kosher Salt for? I have a huge box of
>it that I bought to put on hot pretzels on Superbowl Sunday. it's now
>sitting, unused and unloved, in my kitchen cabinet. Recipe ideas?

Hello,

(I will try to be brief)

It is salt.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Sheldon

Jude boy wrote:
> So now tell me, what do you use Kosher Salt for? I have a huge box of
> it that I bought to put on hot pretzels on Superbowl Sunday.

There is such a thing as pretzel salt:, go he kingarthurflour.com

it's now
> sitting, unused and unloved, in my kitchen cabinet. Recipe ideas?

Sprinkle it on your wiseass, Jude boy! <g>

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

Scott

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Yes. As I posted earlier, in the USA table salt may be iodized. In Canada
> table
> salt is always iodized.

I posted that qualification with that in mind.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Bob Myers

"Jude" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> So now tell me, what do you use Kosher Salt for? I have a huge box of
> it that I bought to put on hot pretzels on Superbowl Sunday. it's now
> sitting, unused and unloved, in my kitchen cabinet. Recipe ideas?

Just about everything. It's just salt, and the advantage of
"kosher" salt in particular is in the larger grains/flakes. It's
easier to pick up with the fingers and sprinkle, and sticks
nicely to various things. I keep it in an offical Alton Brown
Sodium Chloride Containment Unit (no, I'm not THAT big
an Alton geek, but I've always liked the little flip-the-top-up
-with-yer-thumb container he's always using; see
www.altonbrown.com for details). Just be advised that
this form measures (by volume) a bit differently than regular
table salt - since the grains are larger, there's not as much
salt in "a teaspoon of salt" when you're using kosher. Adjust
recipes accordingly (increasing by something like 1.5X seems
about right).

Bob M.

Robert Klute

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:09:31 -0700, "Bob Myers"
> wrote:

>... Just be advised that
>this form measures (by volume) a bit differently than regular
>table salt - since the grains are larger, there's not as much
>salt in "a teaspoon of salt" when you're using kosher. Adjust
>recipes accordingly (increasing by something like 1.5X seems
>about right).

Morton is about 1.2 to 1, Diamond is 2 for 1. See the thread
"Kosher Salt vs. Table Salt" in this group started 10/18/2003 by
(Rubystars) for a detailed examination,
including experimental results.
Bob

Bob Myers wrote:

> I keep it in an offical Alton Brown Sodium Chloride Containment Unit
> (no, I'm not THAT big an Alton geek, but I've always liked the little
> flip-the-top-up-with-yer-thumb container he's always using; see
> www.altonbrown.com for details).

Speaking of AB's kitchen implements, I like those straight-sided measuring
pitchers he uses, the ones which look a bit like laboratory beakers. Anybody
know where they come from? I used to have a similar pitcher from Ikea, but
they're not made anymore.

Bob

Bob Myers

"Bob" > wrote in message

> Speaking of AB's kitchen implements, I like those straight-sided measuring
> pitchers he uses, the ones which look a bit like laboratory beakers.

Anybody
> know where they come from? I used to have a similar pitcher from Ikea,

but
> they're not made anymore.

Are you talking about the cylinders with the sliding pistons
inside (also on his web site, as "Plunger" and "Plunger Jr.")?
I've been tempted to get those as well, but would like to find an
alternate source (mostly because I would prefer not to have
AB's caricature on my kitchen utensils).

Bob M.

Bob

Bob Myers answered me:

>> Speaking of AB's kitchen implements, I like those straight-sided
>> measuring
>> pitchers he uses, the ones which look a bit like laboratory beakers.
>> Anybody know where they come from? I used to have a similar pitcher from
>> Ikea, but they're not made anymore.

> Are you talking about the cylinders with the sliding pistons
> inside (also on his web site, as "Plunger" and "Plunger Jr.")?
> I've been tempted to get those as well, but would like to find an
> alternate source (mostly because I would prefer not to have
> AB's caricature on my kitchen utensils).

No, I've actually *got* the piston-cup; my local kitchen supply store
carries them (sans caricature). I'm talking about pitchers made of glass
which look to hold about a quart. They've got dark blue markings on the
sides denoting measurements. They really do look like glass laboratory
beakers, only they've got handles.

Bob

Bob Myers

"Bob" > wrote in message

> No, I've actually *got* the piston-cup; my local kitchen supply store
> carries them (sans caricature). I'm talking about pitchers made of glass
> which look to hold about a quart. They've got dark blue markings on the
> sides denoting measurements. They really do look like glass laboratory
> beakers, only they've got handles.

Don't recall seeing those; guess I'll have to watch some more
AB. Do you happen to recall who made the san-caricature
piston-cups, or what they called them?

Bob M.

Bob

Bob M. wrote:

> Do you happen to recall who made the san-caricature
> piston-cups, or what they called them?

The cup is marked www.kitchenart.com; looking at that site, they're at
http://www.kitchenart.com/SearchResu...x?CategoryID=3

Bob

Bob

Bob Myers wrote:

>> I'm talking about pitchers made of glass which look to hold about a
>> quart. They've got dark blue markings on the sides denoting
>> measurements. They really do look like glass laboratory beakers,
>> only they've got handles.
>>

> Don't recall seeing those

I *just* saw them on "Good Eats." In the artichoke episode, when AB starts
making the infused oil, he pours olive oil and canola oil into a pan. The
vessels which contain the oil are the ones I'm talking about. (I was wrong
about the color of the graduated markings. They're white. The markings on my
Ikea measuring pitcher were blue.)

Anybody know where those come from?

Bob

Bob Myers

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Bob M. wrote:
>
> > Do you happen to recall who made the san-caricature
> > piston-cups, or what they called them?

> The cup is marked www.kitchenart.com; looking at that site, they're at
> http://www.kitchenart.com/SearchResu...x?CategoryID=3

Perfect! Thanks!

Bob M.

Dave S

Bob wrote:

> Bob Myers wrote:
>
> >> I'm talking about pitchers made of glass which look to hold about a
> >> quart. They've got dark blue markings on the sides denoting
> >> measurements. They really do look like glass laboratory beakers,
> >> only they've got handles.
> > >

> > Don't recall seeing those

> I just saw them on "Good Eats." In the artichoke episode, when AB
> starts making the infused oil, he pours olive oil and canola oil into
> a pan. The vessels which contain the oil are the ones I'm talking
> about. (I was wrong about the color of the graduated markings.
> They're white. The markings on my Ikea measuring pitcher were blue.)
>
> Anybody know where those come from?
>
> Bob

Something like these?

http://www.catglass.com/pages/6/index.htm

http://www.catglass.com/pages/6/page...=1043295639733

--
Dave S
Bob

Dave S answered:

>> The vessels which contain the oil are the ones I'm talking
>> about. (I was wrong about the color of the graduated markings.
>> They're white. The markings on my Ikea measuring pitcher were blue.)
>>
>> Anybody know where those come from?

> Something like these?
>
> http://www.catglass.com/pages/6/index.htm

Yes! Thank you! I've ordered four (allowing for future breakage).

Bob