Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default discoloring of stainless steel pots from overheating?

is anybody familiar with the discoloring of stainless steel pots from
overheating?

I saw a manual for one that said "damage from overheating is instantly
recognizable as the stainless steel surface may change color producing
a golden/brown/blue appearance. This is not reversable and cannot be
cleaned off. However it will not affect performance in any way".

Does this sound familiar to people?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21 Jan 2011 16:05:14 GMT, "Gareth Fimlinson" >
wrote:

>is anybody familiar with the discoloring of stainless steel pots from
>overheating?
>
>I saw a manual for one that said "damage from overheating is instantly
>recognizable as the stainless steel surface may change color producing
>a golden/brown/blue appearance. This is not reversable and cannot be
>cleaned off. However it will not affect performance in any way".
>
>Does this sound familiar to people?

Yup, but usually with thinner, less expensive pans. I have not seen it
since I have a grown-up's set of pots and pans.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Gareth Fimlinson" > wrote:

> is anybody familiar with the discoloring of stainless steel pots from
> overheating?
>
> I saw a manual for one that said "damage from overheating is instantly
> recognizable as the stainless steel surface may change color producing
> a golden/brown/blue appearance. This is not reversable and cannot be
> cleaned off. However it will not affect performance in any way".
>
> Does this sound familiar to people?

It does. And I find that with some elbow grease and a plastic scrubby
and soap, it can be removed.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar > wrote:

>On 21 Jan 2011 16:05:14 GMT, "Gareth Fimlinson" >
>wrote:
>
>>is anybody familiar with the discoloring of stainless steel pots from
>>overheating?
>>
>>I saw a manual for one that said "damage from overheating is instantly
>>recognizable as the stainless steel surface may change color producing
>>a golden/brown/blue appearance. This is not reversable and cannot be
>>cleaned off. However it will not affect performance in any way".
>>
>>Does this sound familiar to people?

>Yup, but usually with thinner, less expensive pans. I have not seen it
>since I have a grown-up's set of pots and pans.

You have to *really* work at it.<g> Like leave the 'water'
boiling for 20 minutes after the pot is dry. [not that I would know
firsthand, or anything.<g>]

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gareth Fimlinson wrote:
> is anybody familiar with the discoloring of stainless steel pots from
> overheating?
>
> I saw a manual for one that said "damage from overheating is instantly
> recognizable as the stainless steel surface may change color producing
> a golden/brown/blue appearance. This is not reversable and cannot be
> cleaned off. However it will not affect performance in any way".
>
> Does this sound familiar to people?

Yep. Scrub the inside of the pot with Bon Ami or Barkeepers Friend.

Use oven cleaner on the outside if there's any burned-on grease, then
polish gently with chrome polish. You won't get it looking new again,
but you can get it presentable.

Or just don't worry about it.

-Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-01-21, Boron Elgar > wrote:

> Yup, but usually with thinner, less expensive pans. I have not seen it
> since I have a grown-up's set of pots and pans.

No, it will occur in high-end SS cookware, also. You jes hafta get the
good stuff up to "glowing" temps, as I have since proven.

OTOH, I spent good money on my cookware to provide good and reliable
service, not to impress guests and tourists.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> You have to *really* work at it.<g> Like leave the 'water'
> boiling for 20 minutes after the pot is dry. [not that I would know
> firsthand, or anything.<g>]
>
> Jim

Or broccoli. (or so I've heard...)

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21 Jan 2011 16:52:44 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2011-01-21, Boron Elgar > wrote:
>
>> Yup, but usually with thinner, less expensive pans. I have not seen it
>> since I have a grown-up's set of pots and pans.

>No, it will occur in high-end SS cookware, also. You jes hafta get the
>good stuff up to "glowing" temps, as I have since proven.
>
>OTOH, I spent good money on my cookware to provide good and reliable
>service, not to impress guests and tourists.
>
>nb

Hmmm...I switched to ceramic-top electric when we moved in here and
that is about the time I got my good cookware. The electric stove may
have contributed more to my not having it occur lately than the pots
themselves.

Thanks for the ponder.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> is anybody familiar with the discoloring of stainless steel pots from
> overheating?
>
> I saw a manual for one that said "damage from overheating is instantly
> recognizable as the stainless steel surface may change color producing
> a golden/brown/blue appearance. This is not reversable and cannot be
> cleaned off. However it will not affect performance in any way".
>
> Does this sound familiar to people?

Yes. That's one of the reasons why I didn't get the mirror finish
when I spent what I consider "real money" on cookware.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 11:46:47 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> [not that I would know firsthand, or anything.<g>]

Try melting the enamel off a tea kettle. Oy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob > wrote:

>Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>>
>> You have to *really* work at it.<g> Like leave the 'water'
>> boiling for 20 minutes after the pot is dry. [not that I would know
>> firsthand, or anything.<g>]
>>
>> Jim

>Or broccoli. (or so I've heard...)

ewwww--- That has to be the worst smell in the kitchen. burnt
broccoli. lucky it wasn't in *your* kitchen.<g>

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Boron Elgar > wrote:

> On 21 Jan 2011 16:05:14 GMT, "Gareth Fimlinson" >
> wrote:
>
> >is anybody familiar with the discoloring of stainless steel pots from
> >overheating?
> >
> >I saw a manual for one that said "damage from overheating is instantly
> >recognizable as the stainless steel surface may change color producing
> >a golden/brown/blue appearance. This is not reversable and cannot be
> >cleaned off. However it will not affect performance in any way".
> >
> >Does this sound familiar to people?

> Yup, but usually with thinner, less expensive pans. I have not seen it
> since I have a grown-up's set of pots and pans.
>
> Boron

I have. It doesn't affect the cooking qualities, though.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 17:06:50 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Boron Elgar > wrote:
>
>> On 21 Jan 2011 16:05:14 GMT, "Gareth Fimlinson" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >is anybody familiar with the discoloring of stainless steel pots from
>> >overheating?
>> >
>> >I saw a manual for one that said "damage from overheating is instantly
>> >recognizable as the stainless steel surface may change color producing
>> >a golden/brown/blue appearance. This is not reversable and cannot be
>> >cleaned off. However it will not affect performance in any way".
>> >
>> >Does this sound familiar to people?

>> Yup, but usually with thinner, less expensive pans. I have not seen it
>> since I have a grown-up's set of pots and pans.
>>
>> Boron

>I have. It doesn't affect the cooking qualities, though.

Yeah, so I have been told. I used to see it all the time, but never do
now. I assure you, it isn't as if I get *less* forgetful as I age.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yes.

I have had an ex-gf 'blue' a bunch of my pans, and I burnt my 8qt
stock pot on someone's smoothtop range (gawd how i hate those).

Interestingly, I've noticed that in time and use the color fades away
and you don't see it anymore. Also, the pans still work the same,
but I bet they've been weakened.

-J
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On 21 Jan 2011 16:05:14 GMT, "Gareth Fimlinson" >
> wrote:
>
> > is anybody familiar with the discoloring of stainless steel pots
> > from overheating?
> >
> > I saw a manual for one that said "damage from overheating is
> > instantly recognizable as the stainless steel surface may change
> > color producing a golden/brown/blue appearance. This is not
> > reversable and cannot be cleaned off. However it will not affect
> > performance in any way".
> >
> > Does this sound familiar to people?

> Yes. That's one of the reasons why I didn't get the mirror finish
> when I spent what I consider "real money" on cookware.

Any idea what the mirror finish is made of?

What the discoloring is.

Are there any leakage or health issues with using it after it has
discolored?

If it can be removed then why does it bother you?

What makes make stainless steel pots without the mirror finish?

I do want it to be metal inside.

Looking at this pot,

http://www.lecreuset.co.uk/Product-R...-and-Lid-20cm/

the upper side and bottom side of the lid of the pot is very mirror
like. I've seen it.. But i'm not sure whether you'd say that of the
inside.

Has anybody seen discoloring on pots that don't have a mirror like
finish? Were people that have seen discoloring on their pots, able to
see their face on the surface where the discoloring was?
(that would help determine if pots without the mirror finish
wouldn't/couldn't ever get discolored from I suppose, the accident of
overheating dry).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22 Jan 2011 01:09:46 GMT, "Gareth Fimlinson" >
wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> > On 21 Jan 2011 16:05:14 GMT, "Gareth Fimlinson" >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > is anybody familiar with the discoloring of stainless steel pots
> > > from overheating?
> > >
> > > I saw a manual for one that said "damage from overheating is
> > > instantly recognizable as the stainless steel surface may change
> > > color producing a golden/brown/blue appearance. This is not
> > > reversable and cannot be cleaned off. However it will not affect
> > > performance in any way".
> > >
> > > Does this sound familiar to people?

> > Yes. That's one of the reasons why I didn't get the mirror finish
> > when I spent what I consider "real money" on cookware.

> Any idea what the mirror finish is made of?

Polished stainless steel, I think.

> What the discoloring is.

I'm not a chemist.

> Are there any leakage or health issues with using it after it has
> discolored?

It's on the outside and your food doesn't come into contact with it.

> If it can be removed then why does it bother you?

..I don't put my pots and pans into the dishwasher and I don't do high
maintenance scrubbing.

> What makes make stainless steel pots without the mirror finish?

Lots of them, high end and low end. I have Teflon pans from Macy's
that are a discolored outside mirror finish and it's ugly. I'll be
glad when I throw them away.

> I do want it to be metal inside.

I hadn't used a stainless steel interior pan since I moved out of my
mother's house (she had Revereware which I hated and turned me off to
considering any stainless steel cookware until recently). Then I
bought two All Clad saucepans and one skillet
;, which it turns out I love.

> Looking at this pot,
>
> http://www.lecreuset.co.uk/Product-R...-and-Lid-20cm/
>
> the upper side and bottom side of the lid of the pot is very mirror
> like. I've seen it.. But i'm not sure whether you'd say that of the
> inside.

My All Clad has mirror finished lids on the outside surface. I was
uncertain about the saucepan/skillet themselves having a mirror
finish, mainly because I don't have the shelf space to store them so
they're out on a pot rack.

> Has anybody seen discoloring on pots that don't have a mirror like
> finish? Were people that have seen discoloring on their pots, able to
> see their face on the surface where the discoloring was?
> (that would help determine if pots without the mirror finish
> wouldn't/couldn't ever get discolored from I suppose, the accident of
> overheating dry).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> sf wrote:
>
> > On 21 Jan 2011 16:05:14 GMT, "Gareth Fimlinson" >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > is anybody familiar with the discoloring of stainless steel pots
> > > from overheating?
> > >
> > > I saw a manual for one that said "damage from overheating is
> > > instantly recognizable as the stainless steel surface may change
> > > color producing a golden/brown/blue appearance. This is not
> > > reversable and cannot be cleaned off. However it will not affect
> > > performance in any way".
> > >
> > > Does this sound familiar to people?

> > Yes. That's one of the reasons why I didn't get the mirror finish
> > when I spent what I consider "real money" on cookware.

> Any idea what the mirror finish is made of?
>
> What the discoloring is.
>
> Are there any leakage or health issues with using it after it has
> discolored?
>
> If it can be removed then why does it bother you?
>
> What makes make stainless steel pots without the mirror finish?
>
> I do want it to be metal inside.
>
> Looking at this pot,

http://www.lecreuset.co.uk/Product-R...-and-Lid-20cm/

> the upper side and bottom side of the lid of the pot is very mirror
> like. I've seen it.. But i'm not sure whether you'd say that of the
> inside.
>
> Has anybody seen discoloring on pots that don't have a mirror like
> finish? Were people that have seen discoloring on their pots, able to
> see their face on the surface where the discoloring was?
> (that would help determine if pots without the mirror finish
> wouldn't/couldn't ever get discolored from I suppose, the accident of
> overheating dry).

This isn't anything that is magically related to shiny finishes or
stainless steel. Heat most steels to around 580F and they'll turn blue
(don't go quite so high you get yellow, go higher you get gray). It's
oxidation, it's normal, and it's telling you things about the state of
heat-treatment--it's badness on knives, chisels, drill bits and the like
because it means that you've softened the edge, but on pots and pans it
shouldn't make any difference at all.

You'll also see it on motorcycle exhausts.

There's some stuff called "Blue Job" that you can get at some motorcycle
shops that is supposed to take it off without scratching but it still
takes some scrubbing.

It can also be removed electrochemically but I don't know of a tested
process that can be done with stuff commonly found in the home or
readily available from Home Despot and Rat Shack.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gareth Fimlinson" wrote:

>is anybody familiar with the discoloring of stainless steel pots
>from overheating?
>
>I saw a manual for one that said "damage from overheating is
>instantly recognizable as the stainless steel surface may change
>color producing a golden/brown/blue appearance. This is not
>reversable and cannot be cleaned off.

The discoloration from over heating can easily be reversed by
freezing... of course the temperature would need to be as many degrees
below zero as the pot was heated above zero.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-01-22, J. Clarke > wrote:

> You'll also see it on motorcycle exhausts.
>
> There's some stuff called "Blue Job" that you can get at some motorcycle
> shops that is supposed to take it off without scratching but it still
> takes some scrubbing.

Yes, but m/c exhausts are chromed, not polished.

Using the right abrasive scrubby, you can scrub all day on chrome and
it won't scratch. Polished SS will. I used to polish all the burnt
on oil and boot rubber off my HD pipes by using Simple Green and 00000
grade steel wool on med hot pipe. I don't recall, exactly, if it removed the
bluing, but I think it did.

That Blue Job stuff may work if one uses a non-scratching scrubby.
Have you tried? As for general cleaning of polished SS, jes spray
with oven cleaner and rinse off.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 22, 10:15*am, notbob > wrote:
> On 2011-01-22, J. Clarke > wrote:
>
> > You'll also see it on motorcycle exhausts.

> > There's some stuff called "Blue Job" that you can get at some motorcycle
> > shops that is supposed to take it off without scratching but it still
> > takes some scrubbing. *

> Yes, but m/c exhausts are chromed, not polished. *

True, but it's the same phenomenon, even though the metals are
different.

-J

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22 Jan 2011 16:15:48 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2011-01-22, J. Clarke > wrote:
>
>> You'll also see it on motorcycle exhausts.
>>
>> There's some stuff called "Blue Job" that you can get at some motorcycle
>> shops that is supposed to take it off without scratching but it still
>> takes some scrubbing.

>Yes, but m/c exhausts are chromed, not polished.
>
>Using the right abrasive scrubby, you can scrub all day on chrome and
>it won't scratch. Polished SS will. I used to polish all the burnt
>on oil and boot rubber off my HD pipes by using Simple Green and 00000
>grade steel wool on med hot pipe. I don't recall, exactly, if it removed the
>bluing, but I think it did.
>
>That Blue Job stuff may work if one uses a non-scratching scrubby.
>Have you tried? As for general cleaning of polished SS, jes spray
>with oven cleaner and rinse off.

Oven cleaner will damage stainless steel, it'll cause pitting that
won't be immediately noticed. SS is an alloy of several metals of
which cookware is not even close to the highest grades. Pitting of ss
occurs like dental caries, first a tiny/microscopic surface scar is
produced, it will collect salts/acids from cooking, and errode through
electrolytic action, and deepen and expand internally... within a
relatively short time (a few months) you'll begin to notice acne, that
will continue to expand into pock marks and craters. Stainless steel
in no way means it's impervious... even the highest marine grades
corrode.

With shiny ss the discoloration can be removed by buffing with
jeweler's rouge... may need to buff the entire pot so the finish is
equal all over. First try by hand with a soft cloth, if not there are
small cotton buffing wheels that can be used with a cordless drill
(experiment on a crappy pot first). With satin finish and brushed
finish ss unless you're a skilled metal worker you're pretty much SOL.

All stainless steel cookware will eventually discolor regardless how
carefully used... the only way to avoid discoloration is not to use it
for cooking, however even salad dressings and marinades will stain
stainless steel.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

J. Clarke wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
> >
> > sf wrote:
> >
> > > On 21 Jan 2011 16:05:14 GMT, "Gareth Fimlinson"

> > > Yes. That's one of the reasons why I didn't get the mirror finish
> > > when I spent what I consider "real money" on cookware.

> > Any idea what the mirror finish is made of?
> >
> > What the discoloring is.
> >
> > Are there any leakage or health issues with using it after it has
> > discolored?
> >
> > If it can be removed then why does it bother you?
> >
> > What makes make stainless steel pots without the mirror finish?
> >
> > I do want it to be metal inside.
> >
> > Looking at this pot,

http://www.lecreuset.co.uk/Product-R...-and-Lid-20cm/

> > the upper side and bottom side of the lid of the pot is very mirror
> > like. I've seen it.. But i'm not sure whether you'd say that of the
> > inside.
> >
> > Has anybody seen discoloring on pots that don't have a mirror like
> > finish? Were people that have seen discoloring on their pots, able
> > to see their face on the surface where the discoloring was?
> > (that would help determine if pots without the mirror finish
> > wouldn't/couldn't ever get discolored from I suppose, the accident
> > of overheating dry).

> This isn't anything that is magically related to shiny finishes or
> stainless steel. Heat most steels to around 580F and they'll turn
> blue (don't go quite so high you get yellow, go higher you get gray).
> It's oxidation, it's normal, <snip>

Any explanation for why poster "sf" found his stains got on the
mirrored parts like the outside?

Perhaps he oxidized the outside of the pot ..maybe the gas light was
too big for the pot and heated around the outside of the pot. But he
found this hasn't happened for pots without the mirror finish.

If a metal pot was completely oxidized inside, would it make no
difference at all to cooking food in it?

I presume cooking from a rusty pot is a bad idea?

And the discolored stainless steel pots, are rusty?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23 Jan 2011 01:32:52 GMT, "Gareth Fimlinson" >
wrote:

> Any explanation for why poster "sf" found his stains got on the
> mirrored parts like the outside?

In my case, I'm pretty sure it's pure heat. I don't know why it
happens to you.

> Perhaps he oxidized the outside of the pot ..maybe the gas light was
> too big for the pot and heated around the outside of the pot. But he
> found this hasn't happened for pots without the mirror finish.

It happened to them too, but it wasn't as ugly. So far, my new pans
are still looking good though.

> If a metal pot was completely oxidized inside, would it make no
> difference at all to cooking food in it?

People have posted here in the past asking how to season stainless
steel. Same kind of question.

> I presume cooking from a rusty pot is a bad idea?

Why would you want to when a few swipes with an SOS pad will get rid
of it?

> And the discolored stainless steel pots, are rusty?

I doubt it. Especially not if you're talking about permanent
discoloration due to scorching, the way I was.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Gareth Fimlinson" > wrote:

> Any explanation for why poster "sf" found his stains got on the
> mirrored parts like the outside?

sf is a she.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 15:26:22 +1300, Miche > wrote:

> In article >,
> "Gareth Fimlinson" > wrote:
>
> > Any explanation for why poster "sf" found his stains got on the
> > mirrored parts like the outside?

> sf is a she.

Somebody else made the very same correction about me earlier this
week. Did I miss a memo that rfc is getting ready to line all the
female posters on one side and all the male posters on the other?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Did I miss a memo that rfc is getting ready to line all the female posters
> on one side and all the male posters on the other?

Aren't you on the cabal's distribution list?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> J. Clarke wrote:
>
> > In article >,

says...

> > > Any idea what the mirror finish is made of?
> > >
> > > What the discoloring is.
> > >
> > > Are there any leakage or health issues with using it after it has
> > > discolored?
> > >
> > > If it can be removed then why does it bother you?
> > >
> > > What makes make stainless steel pots without the mirror finish?
> > >
> > > I do want it to be metal inside.
> > >
> > > Looking at this pot,

http://www.lecreuset.co.uk/Product-R...-and-Lid-20cm/

> > > the upper side and bottom side of the lid of the pot is very mirror
> > > like. I've seen it.. But i'm not sure whether you'd say that of the
> > > inside.
> > >
> > > Has anybody seen discoloring on pots that don't have a mirror like
> > > finish? Were people that have seen discoloring on their pots, able
> > > to see their face on the surface where the discoloring was?
> > > (that would help determine if pots without the mirror finish
> > > wouldn't/couldn't ever get discolored from I suppose, the accident
> > > of overheating dry).

> > This isn't anything that is magically related to shiny finishes or
> > stainless steel. Heat most steels to around 580F and they'll turn
> > blue (don't go quite so high you get yellow, go higher you get gray).
> > It's oxidation, it's normal, <snip>

> Any explanation for why poster "sf" found his stains got on the
> mirrored parts like the outside?

Because that's the part that was at the right temperature? Understand,
it's not a matter of "if it gets hot it turns blue", there's a range of
colors that indicate the temperature achieved with a fair degree of
precision--accurately enough to allow a machinist to temper a part to a
desired hardness. Blues come in around 550F and are gone around 600F.

> Perhaps he oxidized the outside of the pot ..maybe the gas light was
> too big for the pot and heated around the outside of the pot. But he
> found this hasn't happened for pots without the mirror finish.

Which means that he didn't overheat them, or that he got them above the
temperature at which the color is blue, or that he just can't see it on
the unpolished surface.

> If a metal pot was completely oxidized inside, would it make no
> difference at all to cooking food in it?

If it's stainless steel it _is_ completely oxidized. Stainless works by
forming a tightly bound layer of oxide. Ordinarily that oxide layer is
transparent. When heated to a certain temperature it turns blue.

> I presume cooking from a rusty pot is a bad idea?

If you consider a thin layer of oxide to be "rusty" and find it
objectionable, then never use stainless steel.

> And the discolored stainless steel pots, are rusty?

No rustier than any other stainless steel pots. Only difference is that
it's a color that you can see.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 19:13:55 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 15:26:22 +1300, Miche > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> "Gareth Fimlinson" > wrote:
>>
>> > Any explanation for why poster "sf" found his stains got on the
>> > mirrored parts like the outside?

>> sf is a she.
>>

>Somebody else made the very same correction about me earlier this
>week. Did I miss a memo that rfc is getting ready to line all the
>female posters on one side and all the male posters on the other?

Yes dear, and we're all going to be nekkid. How else are we to
interact if we aren't sure of the sex of the respondants. [and the
good side-effect of this exercise is that it should send all the
kiddies to their therapists for the duration.<g>]

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

J. Clarke wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
> >
> > J. Clarke wrote:
> >
> > > In article >,

says...

http://www.lecreuset.co.uk/Product-R...-and-Lid-20cm/

> > > This isn't anything that is magically related to shiny finishes
> > > or stainless steel. Heat most steels to around 580F and they'll
> > > turn blue (don't go quite so high you get yellow, go higher you
> > > get gray). It's oxidation, it's normal, <snip>

> > Any explanation for why poster "sf" found his stains got on the
> > mirrored parts like the outside?

> Because that's the part that was at the right temperature?
> Understand, it's not a matter of "if it gets hot it turns blue",
> there's a range of colors that indicate the temperature achieved with
> a fair degree of precision--accurately enough to allow a machinist to
> temper a part to a desired hardness. Blues come in around 550F and
> are gone around 600F.
>
> > Perhaps he oxidized the outside of the pot ..maybe the gas light was
> > too big for the pot and heated around the outside of the pot. But
> > he found this hasn't happened for pots without the mirror finish.

> Which means that he didn't overheat them, or that he got them above
> the temperature at which the color is blue, or that he just can't see
> it on the unpolished surface.
>
> > If a metal pot was completely oxidized inside, would it make no
> > difference at all to cooking food in it?

> If it's stainless steel it is completely oxidized. Stainless works
> by forming a tightly bound layer of oxide. Ordinarily that oxide
> layer is transparent. When heated to a certain temperature it turns
> blue.
> > I presume cooking from a rusty pot is a bad idea?

> If you consider a thin layer of oxide to be "rusty" and find it
> objectionable, then never use stainless steel.
>
> > And the discolored stainless steel pots, are rusty?

> No rustier than any other stainless steel pots. Only difference is
> that it's a color that you can see.

suppose the whole pot is stained blue, I suppose it'd just mean the
surface oxide layer is thicker than it was, and it'd never matter
beyond aesthetics?

what temperature, should I expect the pot to reach if not heating dry?
and with a gas light.

i'm starting to think that with a gas light, staining is almost
inevitable.

With my teflon pots i'd stick the gas light to the highest point(but
without the flame going up the sides of the pot). I guess oxidation
there might not have happened because the outside was painted and the
inside was coated.

The manual for this pot says to keep the flame between light-medium,
(and to use a hob that isn't too big, so it doesn't go up the sides of
the pan)

I see a nice article here on colors of the surface oxide layer, and
temperatures.
http://www.bssa.org.uk/topics.php?article=140
pale yellow(290C), straw yellow, dark yellow, brown, purple brown, dark
purple, blue, dark blue(600C)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 19:20:39 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>
>> Did I miss a memo that rfc is getting ready to line all the female posters
>> on one side and all the male posters on the other?

>Aren't you on the cabal's distribution list?
>
>Bob

I signed up for one of those triple-value deals - phone, internet and
cabal.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 10:00:01 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 19:20:39 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> > wrote:
>
> >sf wrote:
> >
> >> Did I miss a memo that rfc is getting ready to line all the female posters
> >> on one side and all the male posters on the other?

> >Aren't you on the cabal's distribution list?
> >
> >Bob
> >

> I signed up for one of those triple-value deals - phone, internet and
> cabal.

Dang, I must have opted for the movies instead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 23, 5:30*am, Lucille > wrote:

>*I went to the kitchen and there's my not so nice
> pan anymore all stained with
> shades of brown. *It's still sitting there since I hated to try to
> clean it with brillo and get that pan all scratched with it.
> I'll check at the hardware store to see if I can find some ot that
> cleaner. * Thanks for the information.
>
> * * * * Lucille

Bartenders Friend is at most grocery stores and does wonders and
quickly, too. Cameo is excellent as well but the grocery stores
around here haven't carried it for many years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 19:13:55 -0800, sf wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 15:26:22 +1300, Miche > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> "Gareth Fimlinson" > wrote:
>>
>>> Any explanation for why poster "sf" found his stains got on the
>>> mirrored parts like the outside?

>> sf is a she.
>>

> Somebody else made the very same correction about me earlier this
> week. Did I miss a memo that rfc is getting ready to line all the
> female posters on one side and all the male posters on the other?

time for the ladies' choice dance!

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 10:00:01 -0500, Boron Elgar wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 19:20:39 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> > wrote:
>
>>sf wrote:
>>
>>> Did I miss a memo that rfc is getting ready to line all the female posters
>>> on one side and all the male posters on the other?

>>Aren't you on the cabal's distribution list?
>>
>>Bob
>>

> I signed up for one of those triple-value deals - phone, internet and
> cabal.
>
> Boron

i looked into that, but i can't afford it.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> J. Clarke wrote:
>
> > In article >,

says...

says...

http://www.lecreuset.co.uk/Product-R...-and-Lid-20cm/

> > > Any explanation for why poster "sf" found his stains got on the
> > > mirrored parts like the outside?

> > Because that's the part that was at the right temperature?
> > Understand, it's not a matter of "if it gets hot it turns blue",
> > there's a range of colors that indicate the temperature achieved with
> > a fair degree of precision--accurately enough to allow a machinist to
> > temper a part to a desired hardness. Blues come in around 550F and
> > are gone around 600F.
> >
> > > Perhaps he oxidized the outside of the pot ..maybe the gas light was
> > > too big for the pot and heated around the outside of the pot. But
> > > he found this hasn't happened for pots without the mirror finish.

> > Which means that he didn't overheat them, or that he got them above
> > the temperature at which the color is blue, or that he just can't see
> > it on the unpolished surface.
> >
> > > If a metal pot was completely oxidized inside, would it make no
> > > difference at all to cooking food in it?

> > If it's stainless steel it is completely oxidized. Stainless works
> > by forming a tightly bound layer of oxide. Ordinarily that oxide
> > layer is transparent. When heated to a certain temperature it turns
> > blue.
> > > I presume cooking from a rusty pot is a bad idea?

> > If you consider a thin layer of oxide to be "rusty" and find it
> > objectionable, then never use stainless steel.
> >
> > > And the discolored stainless steel pots, are rusty?

> > No rustier than any other stainless steel pots. Only difference is
> > that it's a color that you can see.

> suppose the whole pot is stained blue, I suppose it'd just mean the
> surface oxide layer is thicker than it was, and it'd never matter
> beyond aesthetics?

Pretty much.

> what temperature, should I expect the pot to reach if not heating dry?
> and with a gas light.

What are you heating in it? If it's water I'd be surprised if the
surface of the pot got up to 300F. If it's oil it can get very hot--
refined avocado oil has a smoke point of over 500F and the surface of
the pot will be higher than that. The flame itself reaches 3000F at
spots.

> i'm starting to think that with a gas light, staining is almost
> inevitable.

Probably--gas is clean burning but it can still leave deposits.

> With my teflon pots i'd stick the gas light to the highest point(but
> without the flame going up the sides of the pot). I guess oxidation
> there might not have happened because the outside was painted and the
> inside was coated.

Is it Teflon on stainless or Teflon on aluminum? If it's aluminum you
won't get the color changes anyway.

> The manual for this pot says to keep the flame between light-medium,
> (and to use a hob that isn't too big, so it doesn't go up the sides of
> the pan)
>
> I see a nice article here on colors of the surface oxide layer, and
> temperatures.
> http://www.bssa.org.uk/topics.php?article=140
> pale yellow(290C), straw yellow, dark yellow, brown, purple brown, dark
> purple, blue, dark blue(600C)

Somebody had their temperature scales confused. Here's one that gives
the range in both C and F <http://www.muggyweld.com/color.html>.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 19:20:39 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> > wrote:
>
>>sf wrote:
>>
>>> Did I miss a memo that rfc is getting ready to line all the female
>>> posters
>>> on one side and all the male posters on the other?

>>Aren't you on the cabal's distribution list?
>>
>>Bob
>>

> I signed up for one of those triple-value deals - phone, internet and
> cabal.

It was the only way.... <g>
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 17:06:50 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Boron Elgar > wrote:

> from >> >overheating?

> instantly >> >recognizable as the stainless steel surface may change
> color producing >> >a golden/brown/blue appearance. This is not
> reversable and cannot be >> >cleaned off. However it will not affect
> performance in any way". >> >
> >>
> >> Yup, but usually with thinner, less expensive pans. I have not

> seen it >> since I have a grown-up's set of pots and pans.
> >>
> >> Boron

> > I have. It doesn't affect the cooking qualities, though.

> Yeah, so I have been told. I used to see it all the time, but never do
> now. I assure you, it isn't as if I get less forgetful as I age.
>
> Boron

just more blind
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 10:48:25 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, Brooklyn1
<Gravesend1> wrote,
>The discoloration from over heating can easily be reversed by
>freezing... of course the temperature would need to be as many degrees
>below zero as the pot was heated above zero.

ROFL.