Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cleaning stainless steel pots

Well, maybe a bit off topic, maybe not. I have a nice, heavy new 2
quart saucier and have been keeping it bright and shinny, so I
thought. But, now after a year or so, I've noticed the outside is
turning sort of goldish color. The inside is a brushed stainless,
but the outside is polished stainless steel. Obviously the gold
color is a buildup of tiny grease splashes that apparently didn't
come off during regular cleaning. Is there a good way to remove
this? I've heard applying ammonia and putting the pot in a tight
plastic bag overnight. Will this really work? Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 12:40:24 -0500, Art Todesco >
wrote:

>Well, maybe a bit off topic, maybe not. I have a nice, heavy new 2
>quart saucier and have been keeping it bright and shinny, so I
>thought. But, now after a year or so, I've noticed the outside is
>turning sort of goldish color. The inside is a brushed stainless,
>but the outside is polished stainless steel. Obviously the gold
>color is a buildup of tiny grease splashes that apparently didn't
>come off during regular cleaning. Is there a good way to remove
>this? I've heard applying ammonia and putting the pot in a tight
>plastic bag overnight. Will this really work? Thanks.

I keep a container of Dawn Power Dissolver. It's great for that sort
of thing.

http://www.janitors-world.com/dapodi32.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Well, maybe a bit off topic, maybe not. I have a nice, heavy new 2
>quart saucier and have been keeping it bright and shinny, so I
>thought. But, now after a year or so, I've noticed the outside is
>turning sort of goldish color. The inside is a brushed stainless,
>but the outside is polished stainless steel. Obviously the gold
>color is a buildup of tiny grease splashes that apparently didn't
>come off during regular cleaning. Is there a good way to remove
>this? I've heard applying ammonia and putting the pot in a tight
>plastic bag overnight. Will this really work? Thanks.

Most likely the amber hue is due to over heating... sometimes it can
be removed with a fine polishing compound, try Noxon:
http://www.amazon.com/Reckitt-Bencki...8571537&sr=1-7
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 24, 10:08*am, Boron Elgar > wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 12:40:24 -0500, Art Todesco >
> wrote:
>
> >Well, maybe *a bit off topic, maybe not. *I have a nice, heavy new 2
> >quart saucier and have been keeping it bright and shinny, so I
> >thought. *But, now after a year or so, I've noticed the outside is
> >turning sort of goldish color. *The inside is a brushed stainless,
> >but the outside is polished stainless steel. *Obviously the gold
> >color is a buildup of tiny grease splashes that apparently didn't
> >come off during regular cleaning. *Is there a good way to remove
> >this? *I've heard applying ammonia and putting the pot in a tight
> >plastic bag overnight. *Will this really work? * Thanks.

> I keep a container of Dawn Power Dissolver. It's great for that sort
> of thing.
>
> http://www.janitors-world.com/dapodi32.html

Are they still making that? I can't seem to find it anymore...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 11:21:04 -0800 (PST), merryb >
wrote:

>On Feb 24, 10:08*am, Boron Elgar > wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 12:40:24 -0500, Art Todesco >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Well, maybe *a bit off topic, maybe not. *I have a nice, heavy new 2
>> >quart saucier and have been keeping it bright and shinny, so I
>> >thought. *But, now after a year or so, I've noticed the outside is
>> >turning sort of goldish color. *The inside is a brushed stainless,
>> >but the outside is polished stainless steel. *Obviously the gold
>> >color is a buildup of tiny grease splashes that apparently didn't
>> >come off during regular cleaning. *Is there a good way to remove
>> >this? *I've heard applying ammonia and putting the pot in a tight
>> >plastic bag overnight. *Will this really work? * Thanks.

>> I keep a container of Dawn Power Dissolver. It's great for that sort
>> of thing.
>>
>> http://www.janitors-world.com/dapodi32.html

>Are they still making that? I can't seem to find it anymore...

I could not find it locally when I ran out about a year or so ago, so
I got a 6-pack from an industrial supply site. Bigger bottle, too.

I have a microwave-convection oven and he stainless steel walls can
got really coated when things got zapped after something greasy was
baked. Nothing showed up until it was baked on but good. .The Dawn
stuff was a life-saver, although it was tricky to rinse off inside the
oven. I had to keep rinsing out a sponge.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 13:08:12 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

> I keep a container of Dawn Power Dissolver. It's great for that sort
> of thing.
>
> http://www.janitors-world.com/dapodi32.html

I just started thinking about the cruddy window of my self-cleaning
oven. Do you think it would work on that stuff too?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 13:27:49 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 13:08:12 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:
>
>> I keep a container of Dawn Power Dissolver. It's great for that sort
>> of thing.
>>
>> http://www.janitors-world.com/dapodi32.html

>I just started thinking about the cruddy window of my self-cleaning
>oven. Do you think it would work on that stuff too?

It should work on glass, because I have used it on Corningware, but I
do not know what material the rest of your oven door is made of. Try a
little bit first in the middle of the glass.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 16:31:39 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

> Try a little bit first in the middle of the glass.

So you think it would take the crud off? I wouldn't care if it was
just a little peep hole as long as it was clear.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 14:04:39 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 16:31:39 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:
>
>> Try a little bit first in the middle of the glass.

>So you think it would take the crud off? I wouldn't care if it was
>just a little peep hole as long as it was clear.

I cannot guarantee anything. All I know is that it works on both
stainless and Corningware.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 24, 9:40*am, Art Todesco > wrote:
> Well, maybe *a bit off topic, maybe not. *I have a nice, heavy new 2
> quart saucier and have been keeping it bright and shinny, so I
> thought. *But, now after a year or so, I've noticed the outside is
> turning sort of goldish color. *The inside is a brushed stainless,
> but the outside is polished stainless steel. *Obviously the gold
> color is a buildup of tiny grease splashes that apparently didn't
> come off during regular cleaning. *Is there a good way to remove
> this? *I've heard applying ammonia and putting the pot in a tight
> plastic bag overnight. *Will this really work? * Thanks.

brillo pads have kept my circa 1983 farberware shiny for years.

harriet & critters

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" wrote in message ...

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 16:31:39 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

> Try a little bit first in the middle of the glass.

So you think it would take the crud off? I wouldn't care if it was
just a little peep hole as long as it was clear.

I think you would have to be very careful that the seals around the oven
glass were not affected....It may clean the glass but destroy the seals...

BB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 17:16:35 +1100, " Bigbazza" <bazz@
this.invalid.net> wrote:

> I think you would have to be very careful that the seals around the oven
> glass were not affected....It may clean the glass but destroy the seals...

I had a feeling that's what she was getting at. Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 24, 12:40*pm, Art Todesco > wrote:
> Well, maybe *a bit off topic, maybe not. *I have a nice, heavy new 2
> quart saucier and have been keeping it bright and shinny, so I
> thought. *But, now after a year or so, I've noticed the outside is
> turning sort of goldish color. *The inside is a brushed stainless,
> but the outside is polished stainless steel. *Obviously the gold
> color is a buildup of tiny grease splashes that apparently didn't
> come off during regular cleaning. *Is there a good way to remove
> this? *I've heard applying ammonia and putting the pot in a tight
> plastic bag overnight. *Will this really work? * Thanks.

I have had good luck using Comet's gel cleanser with bleach on the
outside of a stainless pan covered in crud. It's next to Soft Scrub
brand products, usually, but it's made by Comet. It has a green label.
(Might also be next to Comet's powder cleanser). Dawn Power Dissolver
also works nicely... hard to find lately, can't remember where I
picked it up last. Not all of my local markets carry it any longer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 22:41:45 -0600 in rec.food.cooking, Omelet
> wrote,
>
>I just soak a scorched stainless pot (happens often with the PC when I
>cook rice in it) overnight with a 10% bleach solution. (Add 1 part
>bleach to 9 parts water for the math impaired).
>
>Bleach is great at dissolving proteins. Protein makes great glue.
>The residue comes right up with little coaxing and almost no elbow
>grease.
>
>We use bleach a LOT at work to clean analzyer lines and sample probes to
>clear residue of serum proteins. Works great.

With enough exposure, chlorine bleach will undo the "passivation"
process that all stainless steel is treated with at manufacture,
allowing it to corrode. The degree of susceptibility depends on
exactly which stainless alloy you have.

Chloride corrosion tends to cause pitting and pinholes, unlike the
broad surface coverage of ordinary rust. These holes can sometimes
trap the very material you were trying to remove.

A lot of stainless steel products will mention not to use bleach.
You might want to ask the manufacturers of your lab equipment what
they think about it.

http://www.cip.ukcentre.com/rust2.htm
http://www.estainlesssteel.com/corrosion.shtml
http://housekeeping.about.com/od/ide...eelcleaner.htm
http://www.ehow.com/how_5935596_stop...k-pitting.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 07:57:24 -0800, David Harmon >
wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 22:41:45 -0600 in rec.food.cooking, Omelet
> wrote,
>>
>>I just soak a scorched stainless pot (happens often with the PC when I
>>cook rice in it) overnight with a 10% bleach solution. (Add 1 part
>>bleach to 9 parts water for the math impaired).
>>
>>Bleach is great at dissolving proteins. Protein makes great glue.
>>The residue comes right up with little coaxing and almost no elbow
>>grease.
>>
>>We use bleach a LOT at work to clean analzyer lines and sample probes to
>>clear residue of serum proteins. Works great.

>With enough exposure, chlorine bleach will undo the "passivation"
>process that all stainless steel is treated with at manufacture,
>allowing it to corrode. The degree of susceptibility depends on
>exactly which stainless alloy you have.
>
>Chloride corrosion tends to cause pitting and pinholes, unlike the
>broad surface coverage of ordinary rust. These holes can sometimes
>trap the very material you were trying to remove.
>
>A lot of stainless steel products will mention not to use bleach.
>You might want to ask the manufacturers of your lab equipment what
>they think about it.

Been saying the same here for years, but don't waste your breath.

>http://www.cip.ukcentre.com/rust2.htm
>http://www.estainlesssteel.com/corrosion.shtml
>http://housekeeping.about.com/od/ide...eelcleaner.htm
>http://www.ehow.com/how_5935596_stop...k-pitting.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sycophant wrote:

> We use bleach a LOT at work to clean analzyer lines and sample probes to
> clear residue of serum proteins. Works great.

What do you mean "at work"? Are you operating a meth lab now?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheryl replied to Chester:

>>> But I already stated I use 2 products that work well. Baking soda
>>> works find on the scorched food inside the pots. But the brown oil
>>> based crud that forms on the outside, I have found nothing beats Comet
>>> cleansing gel (liquid cleanser, whatever its labeled, it's Comet's
>>> brand of "soft scrub") with bleach takes the burned on brown stuff off
>>> beautifully. And the OP asked about removing the brown stuff on the
>>> outside of their pots.

>>>I answered his question. what did you do?

>> You know Sheryl, I have some nice pots and don't want to use anything
>> that may scratch them, so I use baking soda only, and it works for the
>> pots outside as well. I guess you don't really care that your pots are
>> all scratched up, who knew?

> my stainless steel pots and pans are 40 years old. They are tools to be
> used, not artwork to be hung on the wall.

Don't worry about Chester's bullshit. He's only here to shill his web site;
he has no actual cooking experience.

Bob