Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Here's what I did with that leftover ricotta cheese

I made a savory galette..

I used my pie crust recipe, the recipe makes 8 single crusts so I had
some in the freezer.

Sauteed in bacon fat:
1/2 medium onion
1 cup chopped leftover ham
1 clove garlic
cooked till onion was softened and garlic was just beginning to color,
removed from skillet and set aside.

In same skillet sauteed one bunch of rainbow chard (mixed colors of
chard) till tender and
most of the moisture was used up. Count in the bunch of chard was 10
large leaves. Salted and peppered the chard as it sauteed. Mixed the
chard with the sauteed onions and ham mixture.

In another bowl:
mixed 2 cups of leftover mashed potatoes with
1 cup of the leftover ricotta cheese
about 1/3 cup shredded parmesan (the bits I had leftover)
handful of real bacon bits
salt and pepper

Rolled out the pie crust.
Spread the potato mixture over the crust to within 2 inches of the
edge.
Spread the chard ,ham and onion mixture over the potatoes
Sprinkled about 2 ounces of crumbled feta cheese over the top

Folded up the sides to make the galette.

Baked at 400 for about 30 minutes.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Sitara80...73144508135858
click forward for more pictures.

Very tasty if I do say so myself.

I've gotten into galettes in the last few months and I've decided that
savory galettes are one of the best ways ever to use up leftovers.
Here's some recipes I put on my website.

http://www.hizzoners.com/southern-co...s/284-galettes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 19:24:47 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> I made a savory galette..

<snipped>

I like that idea! Thanks for sharing.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

>I made a savory galette..

And you explicitly specified nothing complicated. duh
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Dec 14, 8:57*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> ImStillMags wrote:
>
> >I made a savory galette..

> And you explicitly specified nothing complicated. duh

I know.......when I first posted that thread I didn't feel very well,
so I put it off. Last evening I felt great and I had the stuff on
hand.

It really wasn't complicated at all didn't take 10 minutes to put
together and get into the oven.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 10:22:45 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> On Dec 14, 8:57*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> > ImStillMags wrote:
> >
> > >I made a savory galette..

> > And you explicitly specified nothing complicated. duh

> I know.......when I first posted that thread I didn't feel very well,
> so I put it off. Last evening I felt great and I had the stuff on
> hand.
>
> It really wasn't complicated at all didn't take 10 minutes to put
> together and get into the oven.

You made me look it up savory galette recipes... this caught my eye.
I like the parmesan crust idea, have some feta to use up and always
have zucchini on hand.
http://userealbutter.com/2010/08/03/...alette-recipe/

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 10:40:33 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 10:22:45 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>> > And you explicitly specified nothing complicated. duh

>> I know.......when I first posted that thread I didn't feel very well,
>> so I put it off. Last evening I felt great and I had the stuff on
>> hand.
>>
>> It really wasn't complicated at all didn't take 10 minutes to put
>> together and get into the oven.

>You made me look it up savory galette recipes... this caught my eye.
>I like the parmesan crust idea, have some feta to use up and always
>have zucchini on hand.

You ALWAYS have zucchini in hand... is that a fetish... conjurs up all
sorts of lasciviousness. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 19:24:47 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags wrote:

> I made a savory galette..

So much for "I don't want to make a big production". but I know how
that goes. Sometimes I get carried away when I start cooking
something simple. But still, you had to plan that one.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Dec 14, 4:28*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 19:24:47 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags wrote:
> > I made a savory galette..

> So much for "I don't want to make a big production". but I know how
> that goes. *Sometimes I get carried away when I start cooking
> something simple. *But still, you had to plan that one.
>
> -sw

Not really much planning. I had everything on hand except the swiss
chard and most of it was leftovers. That's the great thing about
savory galettes, you can throw one together pretty quick and it's a
great way to use up leftovers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/13/2010 10:24 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> Very tasty if I do say so myself.
>
> I've gotten into galettes in the last few months and I've decided that
> savory galettes are one of the best ways ever to use up leftovers.
> Here's some recipes I put on my website.

That sounds really good. I'm not a fan of chard; I'd have to sub
spinach. Don't like feta either; what's a sub for that? Other than
that, the whole thing sounds fantastic. Thanks for sharing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Dec 14, 8:08*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> On 12/13/2010 10:24 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
>
> > Very tasty if I do say so myself.

> > I've gotten into galettes in the last few months and I've decided that
> > savory galettes are one of the best ways ever to use up leftovers.
> > Here's some recipes I put on my website.

> That sounds really good. *I'm not a fan of chard; I'd have to sub
> spinach. *Don't like feta either; what's a sub for that? *Other than
> that, the whole thing sounds fantastic. *Thanks for sharing.

Use goat cheese, or if you don't like that, any cheese that your heart
desires.
I really liked using the leftover mashed potatoes on the bottom, it
kept the juices from the greens from making the bottom crust mushy.

Leftover ricotta ImStillMags General Cooking 38 28-12-2010 03:34 PM
ricotta cheese Ricavito Diabetic 15 25-06-2010 04:54 AM
homemade ricotta cheese War[_4_] Recipes 1 30-05-2010 09:23 PM
Ricotta cheese biig General Cooking 70 24-03-2009 12:17 PM
Leftover ricotta Nancy Young General Cooking 21 12-02-2007 08:00 PM