Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ricotta cheese

I bought my first container of ricotta. It was on sale and I finally
decided to splurge instead of using cottage cheese. But after thinking
about it, I didn't want to use it for lasagne. I'd like to make something
without a tomato sauce. Does anyone have a favourite. I have some frozen
spinach, shredded mozarella, shredded cheddar among other
things....tia....Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"biig" wrote

> I bought my first container of ricotta. It was on sale and I finally
> decided to splurge instead of using cottage cheese. But after thinking
> about it, I didn't want to use it for lasagne. I'd like to make something
> without a tomato sauce. Does anyone have a favourite. I have some frozen
> spinach, shredded mozarella, shredded cheddar among other
> things....tia....Sharon

Hi Sharon! I pulled a few interesting ones, soe of which use pretty much
just what you listed.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Almost Pasta Primavera
Categories: Diabetic, Vegetables, Cheese, Main dish
Yield: 6 Servings

MMMMM------------------------INGREDIENTS-----------------------------
3 1/2 lb Spaghetti squash; 1 medium
1 c Broccoli flowerets; fresh
1 c Zucchini; small, sliced
1 c Mushrooms; fresh, sliced
1 c Carrot; sliced
1 Clove garlic; small, crushed
3/4 ts Reduced calorie margarine,
-melted
1 tb Skim milk;
1/2 c Part skim ricotta cheese;
1 tb Parmesan cheese;
1/2 ts Imitation butter flavoring;
1/4 ts Salt;
1/2 ts Italian seasoning;
1/8 ts Coarsely ground pepper;

Wash squash; cut in half lengthwise and discard seeds. Place squash,
cut side down, in a Dutch oven; add 2 inches water. Bring water to a
boil, cover and cook 20 minutes or until squash is tender.

Drain squash and cool. Using a fork remove spaghetti-like strands.
Measure 3 cups of strands; set aside. Remove remaining strands for
other use.

Steam vegetables 5 to 7 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain well.
Combine squash strands and vegetables, tossing gently. Cover to keep
warm; set aside.

Saute garlic in margarine in a small saucepan; remove from heat. Add
milk, cheese, buter flavoring, and seasonings to saucepan. Cook over
low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is hot (do not boil).
Spoon cheese mixture over vegetable mixture, tossing gently. Food
Exchanges per serving: 1 food exchange + some free vegetables, 1/2
high-fat meat + 1/2 fat exchanges.... {I found this on the cooking
echo, it sounded sooo good! It may be worth trying out as soon as I
can convience "Bert" that squash is good for you and yours.;-) which
is the reason why I put it in my diabetic recipes file}

Yields 6 servings (about 77 calories, 4.5 grams protein, 2.5 grams
fat, 10.3 grams carbohydrate, 7 milligrams cholesterol, 171
milligrams sodium, and 331 milligrams potassium per serving).

Source: "Southern Living: 1986 Annual Recipes" Oxmoor House, 1986.

Shared by: June Hoffman, 7/93

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Dinner Tonight
Categories: Low-fat
Yield: 1 Servings

10 Sheets phyllo (oil-free)
2 Cloves garlic minced
1 ts Chopped basil (I used the
-dry kind)
1 pk Frozen spinach (the boxed
-kind)
1/4 c Bread crumbs
1 tb Parmesan (soy or FF)
-cooking spray
-pepper
5 tb Ricotta (fat-free)
5 ts Mozzarella (fat-free)

I nuked the spinach 5 minutes on high, and while it was doing, I
sauted the garlic in a skillet. When the spinach was done, I added
it, the bread crumbs, the parmesan, the pepper, and the basil. When
the water was pretty much gone, I cut the phyllo sheets in half, then
lay down one sheet, sprayed with a little spray, put down another
sheet, sprayed, until four half sheets were down. Then I took 1/5 of
the spinach mixture, then put on a tablespoon of the ricotta, and a
teaspoon of the mozzarella. Then I rolled it, sprayed it once more
lightly, then started on the next "roll." Then I baked em until they
were golden at about 350. They came out pretty good too.

Well, hey, for spontaneous cooking, I was excited. =-)

Patti Shared by Patricia Thorp >

Fat Free Digest Vol. 8, Issue 39, Tues. May 31, 1994 From Fatfree
Digest April-May 1994, Formatting by Sue Smith (using MMCONV)

File
ftp://ftp.idiscover.co.uk/pub/food/m...s/fatfreex.zip

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Ricotta Gnocchi (Malfatti di Ricotta)
Categories: Main dish, Cheese, Cyberealm, Italian
Yield: 4 Servings

2 c Chopped Cooked Spinach
2 c Parmesan Cheese; grated
1/3 c All-Purpose Flour
1 c Ricotta Cheese
2 Eggs
1 pn Nutmeg
Salt
Ground Pepper
1/3 c Unsalted Butter; melted

In a large mixing bowl, combine spinach with 1/3 cup Parmesan, 1/4 cup
flour, ricotta, eggs, nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste. With the help
of a spoon, shape spinach mixture into ovals about the size of a
walnut and roll each one in remaining flour. Bring a pot of lightly
salted water to a boil. Drop gnocchi a few at a time into boiling
water and cook until they float to the surface. Drain in colander and
arrange on serving dish. Pour melted butter over gnocchi with
remaining Parmesan and serve.

Source: Medford Mail Tribune, 18 October 1994 TYped by Katherine Smith
Kook-Net: The Shadow Zone IV - Stinson Beach, CA

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Apple Curry Dip
Categories: Dip
Yield: 4 Servings

1 c Nonfat or low-fat Ricotta
-cheese
1 c Unsweetened applesauce
2 ts Curry powder
1/2 ts Cinnamon
1/2 ts Freshly grated nutmeg

Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 12:12:09 -0500

From: Combine all ingredients in blender/processor.
Process 30 seconds or until mixture is smooth/creamy. Store covered
in refrig. Serve with apple slices, grapes or oranges. Makes 1 cup.

Per tablespoon: calories 29, protein 1 .8g, carbos 2.8, fat 1 .3g,
chol 5mg, sodium 20mg

FATFREE DIGEST V96 #64

From the Fatfree Vegetarian recipe list. Downloaded from Glen's MM
Recipe Archive,
http://www.erols.com/hosey.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Baby Bok Choy Stuffed with Bread Crumbs and Cheese
Categories: Vegetables
Yield: 4 Servings

1/2 c Breadcrumbs
2 tb Olive oil; divided
6 Baby bok choy - about 1/2
-pound)
1/4 c Ricotta cheese
2 oz Feta cheese
1 ts Finely chopped lemon peel

Place the bread crumbs on a plate and toss with 1 tablespoon of oil.
Microwave on high( 100 percent power) for 2 minutes, stirring after 1
minute, or until toasted. Rinse the bok choy; set aside the four
largest, and finely chop the remaining two. In a small bowl, with a
fork mix together the ricotta cheese, lemon peel, remaining 1
tablespoon oil, chopped bok choy and bread crumbs. Gently spread
apart the leaves of each whole bok choy and fill with the cheese
mixture. Place in single layer in a dish, cover, and microwave on
high for 4 minutes, or until wilted and slightly soft. Serve right
away or at room temperature. Typos by Brenda Adams >

Source: "The Well-Filled Microwave Cookbook" by Victoria Wise and
Susanna Hoffman Posted to MC-Recipe Digest V1 #208

Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 01:03:55 -0400

From: NOTES
: Looking like. a small, leafy nosegay with pearly, lettuce-like
branches spreading from a core,baby bok choy is a cabbage. Until
recently it
was known only to Chinese grocers and cooks, but its appeal has
spread, and
many supermarkets now carry the vegetable. It has two great
advantages: It
steams whole to beautifully decorate a party plate and in the
microwave, it
speeds to such a rapid crunchy doneness, you scarcely turn around
and it's
ready. It can be simply wilted and buttered, oiled, sauced with
soy, or
included in a stir-fry.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Baked Summer Squash
Categories: Vegetables, Vegetarian
Yield: 6 Servings

6 Squash, yellow
3/4 c Cheese, ricotta
4 Onions, green; chopped
1/2 ts Parsley
1/2 ts Sage, rubbed
1/2 ts Thyme leaves

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Remove and discard stem ends of the
squash. Slice the squash lengthwise, scoop out seeds and place the
halves side-by-side on a baking sheet. Combine remaining ingredients
in a mixing bowl. Fill the hollows in the squash evenly with the
cheese mixture. Bake 15-20 minutes or until squash is tender. Serve
immediately.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Cheesy Spinach Bake
Categories: Italian, Cheese, Microwave
Yield: 4 Servings

15 oz Ricotta cheese
10 oz Pkg frozen chopped spinach,
Thawed and well drained
1 c (4 oz) shredded Mozzarella
Cheese
1/2 c Wheat germ
2 Eggs, beaten
1/4 c Chopped onion
1/4 c Grated Parmesan cheese
1/8 ts Nutmeg

Contributed to the echo by: Ellen Cleary Cheesy Spinach Bake Preheat
oven t 350 degrees. Grease an 8 inch square pan. Combine ricotta,
spinach, Mozzarella, wheat germ, eggs, onion, Parmesan and nutmeg.
Spread into pan. Bake 25-30 minutes, until heated through. Let stand
5 minutes before serving. Cut into 2 1/2 inch squares. If desired,
sprinkle with additional wheat germ.

Microwave directions:

Place mixture in a microwavable 8 inch square pan. Cover with plastic
wrap; vent. Microcook on HIGH 8-9 minutes, until heated through,
rotating dish a half turn after 4 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before
serving.

From Gemini's MASSIVE MealMaster collection at
www.synapse.com/~gemini

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Chicken Florentine2
Categories: Chicken
Yield: 5 Servings

5 Chicken cutlets; (3 or 4 oz.
-each)
16 oz Ricotta cheese (part skim)
1 Egg
1 pk Chopped spinach; (12 oz.)
2 tb Parsley
Salt and pepper
2 1/2 oz Breadcrumbs

Wash cutlets; trim excess fat. Place cutlets between wax paper and
pound until flat. Squeeze spinach as dry as possible.

Combine Ricotta, egg, spinach, parsley, salt and pepper in bowl.
Holding cutlet in hand, scoop 1/5 of mixture onto cutlet. Flip cutlet
over with Ricotta mixture on bottom into a 9 x 9-inch baking pan;
continue with other cutlets. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake,
uncovered, at 350 degrees for 1 hour. May be frozen after cooling.
Makes 5 servings.

Recipe by:

Posted to recipelu-digest Volume 01 Number 297 by "Diane Geary"
> on Nov 23, 1997

MMMMM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig said...

> I bought my first container of ricotta. It was on sale and I finally
> decided to splurge instead of using cottage cheese. But after thinking
> about it, I didn't want to use it for lasagne. I'd like to make something
> without a tomato sauce. Does anyone have a favourite. I have some frozen
> spinach, shredded mozarella, shredded cheddar among other
> things....tia....Sharon

Sharon,

You have GOT TO BE KIDDING.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" blurted:
> biig said...
>
>> I bought my first container of ricotta. It was on sale and I finally
>> decided to splurge instead of using cottage cheese. But after thinking
>> about it, I didn't want to use it for lasagne. I'd like to make
>> something
>> without a tomato sauce. Does anyone have a favourite. I have some
>> frozen
>> spinach, shredded mozarella, shredded cheddar among other
>> things....tia....Sharon

> You have GOT TO BE KIDDING.

Why kidding... no reason that lasagna can't be made by subbing bechemel for
tomato... with spinach bechemel is better, also omit cheddar... cheddar with
ricotta and mozz is definitely TIAD.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 said...

> "Andy" blurted:
>> biig said...
>>
>>> I bought my first container of ricotta. It was on sale and I
>>> finally
>>> decided to splurge instead of using cottage cheese. But after
>>> thinking about it, I didn't want to use it for lasagne. I'd like to
>>> make something
>>> without a tomato sauce. Does anyone have a favourite. I have some
>>> frozen
>>> spinach, shredded mozarella, shredded cheddar among other
>>> things....tia....Sharon

>> You have GOT TO BE KIDDING.
>>

> Why kidding... no reason that lasagna can't be made by subbing bechemel
> for tomato... with spinach bechemel is better, also omit cheddar...
> cheddar with ricotta and mozz is definitely TIAD.

brooklyn1,

Biig was asking for anything BUT a lasagna recipe. Making it a "what can I
make with one ingredient" request!!!

Her "ISO recipe site" thread wasn't even for her like she made it sound
originally. She was just passing off her homework grief from someone else
onto us. Lazy bitch! Very insincere, if you ask me!!!

Sincerely,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" wrote
> brooklyn1 said...
>> "Andy" blurted:
>>> biig said...

>>> You have GOT TO BE KIDDING.
>>>

>> Why kidding... no reason that lasagna can't be made by subbing bechemel
>> for tomato... with spinach bechemel is better, also omit cheddar...
>> cheddar with ricotta and mozz is definitely TIAD.

> brooklyn1,
>
> Biig was asking for anything BUT a lasagna recipe. Making it a "what can I
> make with one ingredient" request!!!
>
> Her "ISO recipe site" thread wasn't even for her like she made it sound
> originally. She was just passing off her homework grief from someone else
> onto us. Lazy bitch! Very insincere, if you ask me!!!
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Andy

Well, she mentioned lasagna and not wanting to use tomato so that's all I
had to go on... if there was more to this thread I missed it. About her
personality I really can't say, years ago she posted more often but that was
a long time ago or so it seems so nothing about her personna stands out in
my memory. Now that she's returned I only see her posts sporadically...
what specifically makes you say she's a lazy bitch and insincere... has she
lied about you sending her rude email?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote:
> I bought my first container of ricotta. It was on sale and I finally
> decided to splurge instead of using cottage cheese. But after
> thinking about it, I didn't want to use it for lasagne. I'd like to
> make something without a tomato sauce. Does anyone have a favourite.
> I have some frozen spinach, shredded mozarella, shredded cheddar
> among other things....tia....Sharon

If you google groups for a thread Leftover ricotta, people
gave me a lot of great ideas how I could use it. Worth a
look.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 said...

> "Andy" wrote
>> brooklyn1 said...
>>> "Andy" blurted:

>>> Why kidding... no reason that lasagna can't be made by subbing
>>> bechemel for tomato... with spinach bechemel is better, also omit
>>> cheddar... cheddar with ricotta and mozz is definitely TIAD.

>> brooklyn1,
>>
>> Biig was asking for anything BUT a lasagna recipe. Making it a "what
>> can I make with one ingredient" request!!!
>>
>> Her "ISO recipe site" thread wasn't even for her like she made it sound
>> originally. She was just passing off her homework grief from someone
>> else onto us. Lazy bitch! Very insincere, if you ask me!!!
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Andy

> Well, she mentioned lasagna and not wanting to use tomato so that's all
> I had to go on... if there was more to this thread I missed it. About
> her personality I really can't say, years ago she posted more often but
> that was a long time ago or so it seems so nothing about her personna
> stands out in my memory. Now that she's returned I only see her posts
> sporadically... what specifically makes you say she's a lazy bitch and
> insincere... has she lied about you sending her rude email?

Now I'm doing YOUR homework?

then

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 said...

> Well, she mentioned lasagna and not wanting to use tomato so that's all I
> had to go on...

If you really read the post it was plainly obvious!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 22, 9:17*am, Andy > wrote:
> brooklyn1 said...
>

> > "Andy" blurted:
> >> biig said...

> >> You have GOT TO BE KIDDING.

> > Why kidding... no reason that lasagna can't be made by subbing bechemel
> > for tomato... with spinach bechemel is better, also omit cheddar...
> > cheddar with ricotta and mozz is definitely TIAD.

> brooklyn1,
>
> Biig was asking for anything BUT a lasagna recipe. Making it a "what can I
> make with one ingredient" request!!!
>
> Her "ISO recipe site" thread wasn't even for her like she made it sound
> originally. She was just passing off her homework grief from someone else
> onto us. Lazy bitch! Very insincere, if you ask me!!!

What crawled up your trousers?

> Sincerely,
>
> Andy

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote:

> I bought my first container of ricotta. It was on sale and I finally
> decided to splurge instead of using cottage cheese. But after thinking
> about it, I didn't want to use it for lasagne. I'd like to make something
> without a tomato sauce. Does anyone have a favourite. I have some frozen
> spinach, shredded mozarella, shredded cheddar among other
> things....tia....Sharon

Ricotta certainly works well in pastries.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" wrote:
> brooklyn1 said...
>> "Andy" wrote
>>> brooklyn1 said...

>>> brooklyn1,
>>>
>>> Biig was asking for anything BUT a lasagna recipe. Making it a "what
>>> can I make with one ingredient" request!!!
>>>
>>> Her "ISO recipe site" thread wasn't even for her like she made it sound
>>> originally. She was just passing off her homework grief from someone
>>> else onto us. Lazy bitch! Very insincere, if you ask me!!!
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>>
>>> Andy

>> Well, she mentioned lasagna and not wanting to use tomato so that's all
>> I had to go on... if there was more to this thread I missed it. About
>> her personality I really can't say, years ago she posted more often but
>> that was a long time ago or so it seems so nothing about her personna
>> stands out in my memory. Now that she's returned I only see her posts
>> sporadically... what specifically makes you say she's a lazy bitch and
>> insincere... has she lied about you sending her rude email?

> Now I'm doing YOUR homework?

> then

Those are someone's email addies... ???

Not sure where this is going but were it me with a container of ricotta I'd
be thinking blintzes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:
> "Andy" blurted:
>
>> biig said...
>>

>>> I bought my first container of ricotta. It was on sale and I finally
>>> decided to splurge instead of using cottage cheese. But after thinking
>>> about it, I didn't want to use it for lasagne. I'd like to make
>>> something
>>> without a tomato sauce. Does anyone have a favourite. I have some
>>> frozen
>>> spinach, shredded mozarella, shredded cheddar among other
>>> things....tia....Sharon
>>>

>> You have GOT TO BE KIDDING.
>>

> Why kidding... no reason that lasagna can't be made by subbing bechemel for
> tomato... with spinach bechemel is better, also omit cheddar... cheddar with
> ricotta and mozz is definitely TIAD.

If I used cottage cheese instead of ricotta, would that also be TIAD®
? Just wondering.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"biig" > wrote in message
> I bought my first container of ricotta. It was on sale and I finally
> decided to splurge instead of using cottage cheese. But after thinking
> about it, I didn't want to use it for lasagne. I'd like to make something
> without a tomato sauce. Does anyone have a favourite. I have some frozen
> spinach, shredded mozarella, shredded cheddar among other
> things....tia....Sharon

I have a cheesecake recipe made with ricotta and apricot glaze somewhere
that is fabulous.

Debbie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 said...

>> Now I'm doing YOUR homework?

>> then

> Those are someone's email addies... ???

No, they are clickable links to the posts in rfc. I thought you'd know by
now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> brooklyn1 said...
>
>>> Now I'm doing YOUR homework?

>>> then

>> Those are someone's email addies... ???

> No, they are clickable links to the posts in rfc. I thought you'd know by
> now.

They initiate an email message for me. I don't get directed anywhere.

Debbie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® said...

>> Her "ISO recipe site" thread wasn't even for her like she made it sound
>> originally. She was just passing off her homework grief from someone else
>> onto us. Lazy bitch! Very insincere, if you ask me!!!

> What crawled up your trousers?
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Andy

> --Bryan

Bryan,

Hell, son, I'm still in my silk pajamas! It's Sunday! Ya BUM!!!

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Debbie said...

> "Andy" > wrote in message ...
>> brooklyn1 said...

>>> Those are someone's email addies... ???

>> No, they are clickable links to the posts in rfc. I thought you'd know by
>> now.

> They initiate an email message for me. I don't get directed anywhere.
>
> Debbie

Debbie,

I'll venture a guess,..
You're using outlook express?

A better than average, modern, dedicated Usenet newsreader knows to call up
other Usenet posts via those links.

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Debbie said...
>

>> "Andy" > wrote in message
>>> brooklyn1 said...

>>> No, they are clickable links to the posts in rfc. I thought you'd know
>>> by
>>> now.

>> They initiate an email message for me. I don't get directed anywhere.
>>
>> Debbie

> Debbie,
>
> I'll venture a guess,..
> You're using outlook express?
>
> A better than average, modern, dedicated Usenet newsreader knows to call
> up
> other Usenet posts via those links.

shrug... was just concurring with another poster who said the same thing.
You want to think it takes you to a post, tis fine with me.

Debbie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Debbie" > wrote in message

> "Andy" > wrote in message
>> brooklyn1 said...

>>> Those are someone's email addies... ???

>> No, they are clickable links to the posts in rfc. I thought you'd know by
>> now.

> They initiate an email message for me. I don't get directed anywhere.
>
> Debbie

Your news reader doesn't recognize them as links.
It sees the @ and opens you mail program.

Tom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Debbie said...

> "Andy" > wrote in message ...
>> Debbie said...

>>> They initiate an email message for me. I don't get directed anywhere.
>>>
>>> Debbie

>> Debbie,
>>
>> I'll venture a guess,..
>> You're using outlook express?
>>
>> A better than average, modern, dedicated Usenet newsreader knows to call
>> up
>> other Usenet posts via those links.
>>

> shrug... was just concurring with another poster who said the same thing.
> You want to think it takes you to a post, tis fine with me.
>
> Debbie

Debbie...

Two people can be both wrong. Happens all the time.

Get married.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 08:53:27 -0400, "biig" > wrote:

> I bought my first container of ricotta. It was on sale and I finally
>decided to splurge instead of using cottage cheese. But after thinking
>about it, I didn't want to use it for lasagne. I'd like to make something
>without a tomato sauce. Does anyone have a favourite. I have some frozen
>spinach, shredded mozarella, shredded cheddar among other
>things....tia....Sharon

Sharon, did you google for "ricotta recipes"?
http://homecooking.about.com/library.../blricotta.htm
http://www.epicurious.com/tools/sear...rc htype=food
http://recipes.epicurean.com/asc_res...?title=Ricotta

Here are some recipes for you, but do me a favor and don't use that
cheddar cheese in any of the following recipes.

Pipette with Fresh Spinach and Ricotta Cheese
(Pipette con Spinaci Freschi e Ricotta)

Ease of preparation: average
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Servings: 4-6
Regions: Toscana
Wine pairing: Red

Ingredients
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
4-1/2 cups fresh spinach
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup milk
1 box (16 ounces)BARILLA Pipette
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano cheese

HEAT oil in large skillet over medium heat. Sauté garlic for 2
minutes.

ADD spinach; continue cooking for 8 minutes or until spinach is
wilted, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper. Stir in ricotta
cheese and milk.

COOK Pipette according to package directions; drain and return to pot.
ADD spinach mixture to hot Pipette; toss. Add Parmigiano cheese; toss
lightly. Transfer to serving platter. Makes 4 servings.

Tip: Substitute freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese for Parmigiano
cheese.

butternut squash and spinach pasta bake
(serves 4)

Ingredients

1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
600g butternut squash, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
olive oil cooking spray
200g tortiglioni pasta or penne pasta
1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten
50g parmesan cheese, grated
250g packet frozen chopped spinach, thawed

Method

1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
Grease an 8-cup capacity, 6cm-deep, 20cm (base) square baking dish.

2. Using a mortar and pestle, pound coriander seeds until crushed.
Place pumpkin on prepared tray. Lightly spray with oil and sprinkle
with coriander. Season with salt and pepper. Roast, uncovered, for
15 to 20 minutes or until just tender. Remove from oven. Reduce oven
to 180°C.

3. Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water, following
packet directions, until tender. Drain. Combine ricotta, egg and
parmesan in a large bowl. Squeeze excess moisture from spinach. Stir
spinach, pasta and pumpkin into ricotta mixture.

4. Spoon mixture into dish. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until set in
center. Allow to cool completely. Cut into 4 pieces.

Notes & tips
To freeze: Place pieces in airtight containers. Freeze for up to 1
month. Remove from freezer the night before and refrigerate.
Transfer to work or school bag in morning.

Source
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/1608...ach+pasta+bake
Super Food Ideas - February 2007 , Page 50
Recipe by Claire Brookman

Baked Ricotta and Spinach Rigatoni
Recipe courtesy Dave Lieberman

This is a one pot, one dish meal. If you can get your hands on smoked
mozzarella versus the regular stuff, you'll take the flavor to the
next level.

1 pound rigatoni
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 tablespoons butter
1 large shallot, minced
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white wine
2 cups milk
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed of
excess water
2 cups ricotta cheese
2 eggs, lightly beaten
8 ounces smoked or fresh mozzarella, grated

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Cook rigatoni for 5 minutes in a pot of boiling, salted water. Drain
and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Set aside.

To make the béchamel sauce:
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat and add the
shallots and garlic. Sweat the shallots and garlic for a few minutes
until softened and but not colored. Add the flour and stir until a
smooth paste forms. Gradually whisk in the wine and then the milk.
Bring the mixture to a simmer, whisking constantly and cook until
thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper, to
taste. Let cool slightly.

Transfer cooled béchamel to a large mixing bowl and add the spinach,
ricotta, and eggs. Mix in rigatoni and transfer to a greased 9
by13-inch baking dish. Top with grated mozzarella. Cover loosely
with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake an
additional 20 minutes, or until cheese is lightly browned on top, the
center is no longer runny, and the sides are bubbly.

Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 15
Cook Time: 75
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
User Rating 3 Stars

Episode#: DA0307
Copyright © 2006 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved.

Gnudi
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
User Rating: 4 Stars

1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
1 pound frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 cup grated Parmesan
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus 1 cup for coating
1 jar store bought marinara sauce, heated

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.

In a large bowl, mix ricotta, spinach, Parmesan cheese, eggs, and
yolks. Stir in nutmeg, salt, pepper, and flour. Form mixture in to
small, flattened balls.

Dredge the formed gnudi in flour to coat, tapping off the excess.
Slide formed gnudi into the boiling water. Be careful not to
overcrowd the pan; work in batches if necessary. Remove the gnudi
using a slotted spoon after they float to the top and have cooked for
about 4 minutes.

Arrange gnudi on a platter and lightly drizzle with marinara sauce.

Episode#: EI0802
Copyright © 2006 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Debbie said...
>

>> "Andy" > wrote in message
>>> Debbie said...

>>> Debbie,
>>>
>>> I'll venture a guess,..
>>> You're using outlook express?
>>>
>>> A better than average, modern, dedicated Usenet newsreader knows to call
>>> up
>>> other Usenet posts via those links.
>>>

>> shrug... was just concurring with another poster who said the same
>> thing.
>> You want to think it takes you to a post, tis fine with me.
>>
>> Debbie

> Debbie...
>
> Two people can be both wrong. Happens all the time.
>
> Get married.

Sometimes the best thing is to be wrong. :-)

Debbie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Debbie said...

> "Andy" > wrote in message ...
>> Debbie said...

>>> shrug... was just concurring with another poster who said the same
>>> thing.
>>> You want to think it takes you to a post, tis fine with me.
>>>
>>> Debbie

>> Debbie...
>>
>> Two people can be both wrong. Happens all the time.
>>
>> Get married.
>>

> Sometimes the best thing is to be wrong. :-)
>
> Debbie

I'm NOT sorry to disagree.

<PLONK>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 08:53:27 -0400, "biig" > wrote:
>
>> I bought my first container of ricotta. It was on sale and I finally
>>decided to splurge instead of using cottage cheese. But after thinking
>>about it, I didn't want to use it for lasagne. I'd like to make something
>>without a tomato sauce. Does anyone have a favourite. I have some frozen
>>spinach, shredded mozarella, shredded cheddar among other
>>things....tia....Sharon
>>

> Sharon, did you google for "ricotta recipes"?
> http://homecooking.about.com/library.../blricotta.htm
> http://www.epicurious.com/tools/sear...rc htype=food
> http://recipes.epicurean.com/asc_res...?title=Ricotta

Thanks sf
I did google but didn't find what I was looking for....I've never used
ricotta before and was sincere in my request...I guess I comitted some faux
pas in their eyes...lol The sure got their panties in a twist. If I was
thin skinned and a newbie, I would have just left....they sure aren't very
welcoming for anyone who is new (I'm not, but mostly a lurker) I will try
the Pipette with spinach this week. It looks good. I only have frozen
spinach, so will get to the store in a couple of days.
Thanks again...Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> brooklyn1 said...
>
>> "Andy" blurted:
>>> biig said...

>>> You have GOT TO BE KIDDING.
>>>

>> Why kidding... no reason that lasagna can't be made by subbing bechemel
>> for tomato... with spinach bechemel is better, also omit cheddar...
>> cheddar with ricotta and mozz is definitely TIAD.

> brooklyn1,
>
> Biig was asking for anything BUT a lasagna recipe. Making it a "what can I
> make with one ingredient" request!!!
>
> Her "ISO recipe site" thread wasn't even for her like she made it sound
> originally. She was just passing off her homework grief from someone else
> onto us. Lazy bitch! Very insincere, if you ask me!!!
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Andy

What is this group all about Andy? My request was sincere, although I
didn't mention in the original post about doing it for a friend, why does
that make a difference. You need to chill.....Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> biig wrote:
>> I bought my first container of ricotta. It was on sale and I finally
>> decided to splurge instead of using cottage cheese. But after
>> thinking about it, I didn't want to use it for lasagne. I'd like to
>> make something without a tomato sauce. Does anyone have a favourite.
>> I have some frozen spinach, shredded mozarella, shredded cheddar
>> among other things....tia....Sharon

> If you google groups for a thread Leftover ricotta, people
> gave me a lot of great ideas how I could use it. Worth a
> look.
>
> nancy

Thanks Nancy, I'll do that.....Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig said...

> "Andy" > wrote in message ...
>> brooklyn1 said...
>>
>>> "Andy" blurted:

>>> Why kidding... no reason that lasagna can't be made by subbing bechemel
>>> for tomato... with spinach bechemel is better, also omit cheddar...
>>> cheddar with ricotta and mozz is definitely TIAD.

>> brooklyn1,
>>
>> Biig was asking for anything BUT a lasagna recipe. Making it a "what can I
>> make with one ingredient" request!!!
>>
>> Her "ISO recipe site" thread wasn't even for her like she made it sound
>> originally. She was just passing off her homework grief from someone else
>> onto us. Lazy bitch! Very insincere, if you ask me!!!
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Andy

> What is this group all about Andy? My request was sincere, although I
> didn't mention in the original post about doing it for a friend, why does
> that make a difference. You need to chill.....Sharon

I'm always chillin'! YOU need to simmer down! Get a grip! Get honest!

Whatever you use cottage cheese for you can use ricotta. It's never been a
well kept secret!!!

Ya BUM!!!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 12:28:14 -0400, "Debbie"
> wrote:

>"Andy" > wrote in message ...
>> Debbie said...

>>> They initiate an email message for me. I don't get directed anywhere.
>>>
>>> Debbie

>> Debbie,
>>
>> I'll venture a guess,..
>> You're using outlook express?
>>
>> A better than average, modern, dedicated Usenet newsreader knows to call
>> up
>> other Usenet posts via those links.
>>

>shrug... was just concurring with another poster who said the same thing.
>You want to think it takes you to a post, tis fine with me.

It took me to a post. Sharon's ISO something or another.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> biig said...
>

>> "Andy" > wrote in message
>>> brooklyn1 said...

>>> brooklyn1,
>>>
>>> Biig was asking for anything BUT a lasagna recipe. Making it a "what can
>>> make with one ingredient" request!!!
>>>
>>> Her "ISO recipe site" thread wasn't even for her like she made it sound
>>> originally. She was just passing off her homework grief from someone
>>> else
>>> onto us. Lazy bitch! Very insincere, if you ask me!!!
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>>
>>> Andy

>> What is this group all about Andy? My request was sincere, although
>> didn't mention in the original post about doing it for a friend, why does
>> that make a difference. You need to chill.....Sharon

> I'm always chillin'! YOU need to simmer down! Get a grip! Get honest!
>
> Whatever you use cottage cheese for you can use ricotta. It's never been a
> well kept secret!!!
>
> Ya BUM!!!
>
> Andy

You sure sound like you have a full head of steam...lol...you missed my
point...What IS this group for, if not to share ideas and recipes? I'm not
an adventurous cook and was looking for something I'm not familiar with.
I'm a recipe follower for the most part. But make no mistake about it....if
I decide to, I can be a bitch! I just mostly choose to laugh it
off.....Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote:
> I bought my first container of ricotta. It was on sale and I finally
> decided to splurge instead of using cottage cheese. But after thinking
> about it, I didn't want to use it for lasagne. I'd like to make something
> without a tomato sauce. Does anyone have a favourite. I have some frozen
> spinach, shredded mozarella, shredded cheddar among other
> things....tia....Sharon

Canoli?

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> brooklyn1 said...
>
>>> Now I'm doing YOUR homework?

>>> then

>> Those are someone's email addies... ???

> No, they are clickable links to the posts in rfc. I thought you'd know by
> now.

They pop up in an email composing window in Thunderbird.

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Andy wrote:
>> brooklyn1 said...

>>> Those are someone's email addies... ???

>> No, they are clickable links to the posts in rfc. I thought you'd know by
>> now.

> They pop up in an email composing window in Thunderbird.

Outlook Express, AOL, and Verizon all bring up a blank email page. Those
are not URLS, I've never yet seen an URL with the @ sign.com.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"biig" > wrote in message
> I bought my first container of ricotta. It was on sale and I finally
> decided to splurge instead of using cottage cheese. But after thinking
> about it, I didn't want to use it for lasagne. I'd like to make something
> without a tomato sauce. Does anyone have a favourite. I have some frozen
> spinach, shredded mozarella, shredded cheddar among other
> things....tia....Sharon

Stuffed shells comes to mind. All your ingredients would work.

You can use it any way you want. I used to cook up some rigattoni and toss
it with tomato sauce and ricotta for really creamy dish. You can put it on
pizza after it comes out of the oven.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"biig" wrote

> You sure sound like you have a full head of steam...lol...you missed my
> point...What IS this group for, if not to share ideas and recipes? I'm
> not an adventurous cook and was looking for something I'm not familiar
> with. I'm a recipe follower for the most part. But make no mistake about
> it....if I decide to, I can be a bitch! I just mostly choose to laugh it
> off.....Sharon

Sharon, sorry but my newsgroup access was blinky. I actually had thse
recipes that finally went out, in opur out box about 15 mins after you
posted. Used mostly what you said you had handy and took it would wanted
'something else' for ideas. I think there were 8 of them I posted?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 12:28:14 -0400, "Debbie"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Andy" > wrote in message
>>> Debbie said...

>>> Debbie,
>>>
>>> I'll venture a guess,..
>>> You're using outlook express?
>>>
>>> A better than average, modern, dedicated Usenet newsreader knows to call
>>> up
>>> other Usenet posts via those links.
>>>

>>shrug... was just concurring with another poster who said the same thing.
>>You want to think it takes you to a post, tis fine with me.

> It took me to a post. Sharon's ISO something or another.

It is apparently my newsreader so I am right and wrong at the same time,
which ticked Andy off enough when I joked about it that he "PLONKED" me! Oh
my!!!! LOL

Debbie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l said...

> On 22-Mar-2009, Andy > wrote:
>
>> brooklyn1,
>>
>> Biig was asking for anything BUT a lasagna recipe. Making it a "what
>> can I
>>
>> make with one ingredient" request!!!

> Hmm; I don't see where you got the idea she was limiting suggestions to
> a single ingredient. She was asking for suggestions on how one might
> use ricotta, other than in lasagna and tomato sauce. She even mentioned
> other ingredients on hand ("...I have some frozen spinach, shredded
> mozarella, shredded cheddar among other things..."). "...among other
> things..." suggests to me an openness to dishes with a variety of, well,
> umm, uh --- other things.

l, not -l

You can't criticize me!

The topic was somewhat mindless.

I was within my rights to point it out.

I'm always within my rights!!!!

Don't like it? Tough!!!

Best,

Andy
USA
Loves Lasagn[ae]!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig > wrote:

> I bought my first container of ricotta. It was on sale and I finally
> decided to splurge instead of using cottage cheese. But after thinking
> about it, I didn't want to use it for lasagne. I'd like to make something
> without a tomato sauce.

Make torta di ricotta... definitely no tomato sauce there... Here is a
recipe from _Trattoria_ by Patricia Wells_.

Victor

Ricotta Cheesecake with Pine Nuts and Raisins
Torta di Ricotta

This is a delicate, tenderly sweet, and crustless ricotta cheesecake,
studded lightly with pine nuts and raisins, and harboring a faint hint
of lemon, orange, and spice. I frankly prefer it to the heavier, richer
American-style cheesecake, and strongly recommend that cheesecake lovers
add it to their repertoire. I sampled this dessert one sunny Saturday
in December, at the excellent family-run trattoria Checchino dal 1887,
in Rome.

Unsalted butter and all-purpose flour for preparing the cake pan
1 cup (200 g) vanilla sugar
1/3cup (45 g) all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2cup (2 ounces; 60 g) pine nuts
3/2cup (70 g) sultanas
1/4teaspoon fine sea salt
2 pounds (1 kg) whole-milk ricotta (or two 15-ounce containers)
6 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Grated zest (yellow peel) of 1 lemon
Grated zest (orange peel) of 1 orange
Icing sugar, for garnish

1. Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C; gas mark 3).

2. Generously butter and flour a 9-inch (23-cm) springform pan, tapping
out any excess flour. Set aside.

3. In a small bowl, stir together the vanilla sugar, flour, pine nuts,
raisins, and salt. Set aside.

4. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle, gently beat
the ricotta at low speed until smooth. Add the beaten eggs little by
little, then add the vanilla sugar mixture and gently mix to blend. Add
the spices, vanilla, and zests. Mix to blend thoroughly.

5. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Place the pan in the
center of the oven and bake until the cheesecake is a deep golden brown
and fairly firm in the center, and a toothpick inserted in the center
comes out clean, about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Transfer to a baking rack
to cool. Once cooled, cover the cheesecake with plastic wrap and
refrigerate until serving time. (The cake can be made up to 1 day in
advance.)

6. To serve, release the sides of the springform pan, leaving the
cheesecake on the pan base. Sprinkle the top generously with
Icing sugar and serve, cutting into very thin wedges.

Yield: 16 to 20 servings
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 22 Mar 2009 04:43:09p, l, not -l told us...

> On 22-Mar-2009, Andy > wrote:
>
>> l, not -l
>>
>> You can't criticize me!

> Well, I can; especially when you act badly. I'm within my rights to
> point it out. ;-) And I am rarely one to criticize; but, you
> over-reacted to a simple request.
>
>> The topic was somewhat mindless.

> No more so than many topics you have started over the years. Was it
> really more mindless than bemoaning the lack of buffalo on the first day
> of spring?
>
>> I was within my rights to point it out.
>>
>> I'm always within my rights!!!!
>>
>> Don't like it? Tough!!!

> Ditto.

Where I work, Andy would be classified as SMI. Apart from that, he babbles
utter nonsense most of the time.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright said...

> On Sun 22 Mar 2009 04:43:09p, l, not -l told us...
>

>> On 22-Mar-2009, Andy > wrote:
>>
>>> l, not -l
>>>
>>> You can't criticize me!

>> Well, I can; especially when you act badly. I'm within my rights to
>> point it out. ;-) And I am rarely one to criticize; but, you
>> over-reacted to a simple request.
>>
>>> The topic was somewhat mindless.

>> No more so than many topics you have started over the years. Was it
>> really more mindless than bemoaning the lack of buffalo on the first
>> day of spring?
>>
>>> I was within my rights to point it out.
>>>
>>> I'm always within my rights!!!!
>>>
>>> Don't like it? Tough!!!

>> Ditto.

> Where I work, Andy would be classified as SMI. Apart from that, he
> babbles utter nonsense most of the time.

Wayne, where exactly DO you work?!? And your babble-nonsense is nothing to be
pround of!

Here's what I did with that leftover ricotta cheese ImStillMags General Cooking 11 15-12-2010 08:20 PM
ricotta cheese Ricavito Diabetic 15 25-06-2010 04:54 AM
homemade ricotta cheese War[_4_] Recipes 1 30-05-2010 09:23 PM
Ricotta Cheese cake Janet Wilder[_1_] General Cooking 28 21-02-2008 01:16 AM
Ricotta Cheese (7) Collection Terry Stautzenberger Recipes (moderated) 0 17-02-2005 03:06 AM