Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The checkout line idiot

Steve B wrote:
>>> Happiness is a debit card. I run it through while they're
>>> checking
>>> my groceries then hit the OK when the unit gives me the total.
>>> Joy
>>> to the world.

> And the oblivious bliss of the fees associated with such
> transactions. I'll bet you have no clue as to how much in fees you
> have paid in the last year. Am I correct? How much?
>
> Steve

In direct fees - nothing. In hidden fees if any - probably reflected
in the entire store sales.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BlueBrooke wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 15:03:37 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:
>
>> BlueBrooke wrote:
>>
>>> It seems to me that we've been programmed to believe that we're
>>> rushed and overscheduled. As I said in another post, what feels
>>> like an eternity is really only a few extra minutes, or even
>>> seconds. People can prove this to themselves by checking their
>>> watch next time they feel like tapping their feet. It really isn't
>>> that long, it just seems like it. This, too, will help with the
>>> blood pressure. :-)

>> I think that what irritates people the most is the perception that
>> the person at the head of the line is rather enjoying making the
>> others cool their jets. I've certainly seen my share of people who
>> could not care less what's going on in your life as they take their
>> sweet time getting their stuff done.

> Though it might have evolved to this, the OP was talking about someone
> who was obviously having some kind of problem, but that was okay,
> 'cause at least it was entertaining.

Yes, it's evolved, we're no longer talking about the lady in front of
Dave.

> I don't know where you shop, but I've never seen anyone enjoying
> making other people wait for them.

>> Me, I conduct my business as if the person behind me might need
>> to get where they are going. Or are feeling really awful and would
>> love to get home. Been there myself.

> Same here -- on both sides. I've been the one waiting, and I've been
> the one causing the waiting. Neither is any fun. Since you obviously
> never have anything unexpected happen to you, I'm very happy for you.

Where did you come up with that nonsense?

> 'Cause it really is no fun.
>
>> If that makes me a bad person, so be it.

> Only you know if you are a bad person or not. I am positive you
> aren't perfect, though.

I never said I was, not a once.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 12, 7:20*pm, "Dora" > wrote:

> > And the oblivious bliss of the fees associated with such
> > transactions. *I'll bet you have no clue as to how much in fees you
> > have paid in the last year. Am I correct? *How much?

> > Steve

> In direct fees - nothing. *In hidden fees if any - probably reflected
> in the entire store sales.

What fees are you talking about? I do business with 2 different banks
and neither one charges a fee for Debit Card transactions at a
merchant, nor do they charge any fee whatsoever if you take cash back
with your transaction. The banks do charge a fee for using a "foreign"
ATM (one not associated with their bank directly) but it's easy enough
to get around it by taking cash back with a merchant transaction.
Simple. I have friends who do business with other banks as well and
none of my friends' banks charge for debit card purchases.

If your bank charges a fee for purchase transaction, you need to find
a better bank.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 12, 6:20*pm, "Dora" > wrote:

> > And the oblivious bliss of the fees associated with such
> > transactions. *I'll bet you have no clue as to how much in fees you
> > have paid in the last year. Am I correct? *How much?

> > Steve

> In direct fees - nothing. *In hidden fees if any - probably reflected
> in the entire store sales.

Same here. I know my bank charges a store less if I run my card
through as a debit card than as a credit card. But any fees showing
up on my statement monthly?? None. I haven't paid bank fees for a
checking account since Adam was a lad and have never paid fees for ATM
card or online bill pay either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"itsjoannotjoann" > wrote in message
On Oct 12, 6:20 pm, "Dora" > wrote:

> > And the oblivious bliss of the fees associated with such
> > transactions. I'll bet you have no clue as to how much in fees you
> > have paid in the last year. Am I correct? How much?

> > Steve

> In direct fees - nothing. In hidden fees if any - probably reflected
> in the entire store sales.

Same here. I know my bank charges a store less if I run my card
through as a debit card than as a credit card. But any fees showing
up on my statement monthly?? None. I haven't paid bank fees for a
checking account since Adam was a lad and have never paid fees for ATM
card or online bill pay either.

I COULD have been mistaken, but the true story is that most people cannot
tell you what they are actually paying on their debit/credit cards.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve B" wrote

> My favorite experience was when I had ten or fifteen small items, and went
> to the 8 or less line. Or something along that line. All the other lines
> were a mile long, and t wasn't like I had 50 or 60 items. The cashier
> made some snippy remark, so I just said, "I'll just go over to the other
> line, and walked over there leaving my items. I could see the manager go
> over to the express line, and talk to the cashier. He came over to me,
> and asked would I like to return to the express line. I said yes, and
> apologized for being a few precious items over the sacred limit, and that
> all the other lines had a huge waiting queue, so it was go there, or just
> leave my basket and go home. I told him that the clerk was just plain
> rude. She silently rang me up, and within a month, I noticed she was no
> longer there.

In any reputable store, they would boot your ass out and never allow you in
again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 12, 1:36*pm, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 16:09:12 -0400, "Dora" >
> arranged random neurons and said:
>
> >Happiness is a debit card. *I run it through while they're checking my
> >groceries then hit the OK when the unit gives me the total. *Joy to
> >the world.

> This cautions about using debit cards for things such as groceries,
> but wouldn't a credit/debit card reader make credit cards just as
> vulnerable?
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmLftggmf94

The crooks get your debit card number and your PIN. It's up to you to
prove you didn't make those withdrawals. Who bears the loss? You do,
most likely.

Now let's say the crooks get your credit card number. Your money is
still in the bank. You get the bill and notice there are charges you
didn't make The credit card company/merchant bears the risk of loss.
They should have verified it was you making the charges. Thieves won't
get the code from the back of the card. Their charges will easily be
reversed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

BlueBrooke wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 15:03:37 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:
>
>> BlueBrooke wrote:
>>
>>> It seems to me that we've been programmed to believe that we're
>>> rushed and overscheduled. As I said in another post, what feels
>>> like an eternity is really only a few extra minutes, or even
>>> seconds. People can prove this to themselves by checking their
>>> watch next time they feel like tapping their feet. It really
>>> isn't
>>> that long, it just seems like it. This, too, will help with the
>>> blood pressure. :-)

>> I think that what irritates people the most is the perception that
>> the person at the head of the line is rather enjoying making the
>> others cool their jets. I've certainly seen my share of people who
>> could not care less what's going on in your life as they take their
>> sweet time getting their stuff done.

> Though it might have evolved to this, the OP was talking about
> someone
> who was obviously having some kind of problem, but that was okay,
> 'cause at least it was entertaining.
>
> I don't know where you shop, but I've never seen anyone enjoying
> making other people wait for them.
>
>> Me, I conduct my business as if the person behind me might need
>> to get where they are going. Or are feeling really awful and would
>> love to get home. Been there myself.

> Same here -- on both sides. I've been the one waiting, and I've
> been
> the one causing the waiting. Neither is any fun. Since you
> obviously
> never have anything unexpected happen to you, I'm very happy for
> you.
> 'Cause it really is no fun.
>
>> If that makes me a bad person, so be it.

> Only you know if you are a bad person or not. I am positive you
> aren't perfect, though.

Nancy is a kind person. I can't say the same for some of your
remarks. However, you have been posting here just since the end of
September, so I'm trying to keep an open mind.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BlueBrooke wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 20:31:07 -0400, "Dora" >
> wrote:
>
>> Nancy is a kind person. I can't say the same for some of your
>> remarks. However, you have been posting here just since the end of
>> September, so I'm trying to keep an open mind.

> I've been here for years. Didn't realize there was a posting quota
> meet before one could express opinions.
>
> Funny, lots of "kind" people saying some very unkind things in this
> thread. Wonder what that means.

Strange you should say that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "Steve B" wrote
>
>> My favorite experience was when I had ten or fifteen small items, and
>> went to the 8 or less line. Or something along that line. All the other
>> lines were a mile long, and t wasn't like I had 50 or 60 items. The
>> cashier made some snippy remark, so I just said, "I'll just go over to
>> the other line, and walked over there leaving my items. I could see the
>> manager go over to the express line, and talk to the cashier. He came
>> over to me, and asked would I like to return to the express line. I said
>> yes, and apologized for being a few precious items over the sacred limit,
>> and that all the other lines had a huge waiting queue, so it was go
>> there, or just leave my basket and go home. I told him that the clerk
>> was just plain rude. She silently rang me up, and within a month, I
>> noticed she was no longer there.

> In any reputable store, they would boot your ass out and never allow you
> in again.

What? For following the clerk's ascertain that I was in the wrong line, and
complying by going to the "correct" line? For politely telling the manager
of the situation and letting him make the decision as to what to do? For
not going off on the clerk and telling her what I was really thinking? For
behaving like an adult? For maintaining a civil demeanor?

If this "reputable" store should have booted my ass for doing that, I would
have done the ugliest dirtiest thing I could have thought of. Mainly, take
my money, and spent it somewhere else.

You're something, you know?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"spamtrap1888" > wrote in message
On Oct 12, 1:36 pm, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 16:09:12 -0400, "Dora" >
> arranged random neurons and said:
>
> >Happiness is a debit card. I run it through while they're checking my
> >groceries then hit the OK when the unit gives me the total. Joy to
> >the world.

> This cautions about using debit cards for things such as groceries,
> but wouldn't a credit/debit card reader make credit cards just as
> vulnerable?
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmLftggmf94

The crooks get your debit card number and your PIN. It's up to you to
prove you didn't make those withdrawals. Who bears the loss? You do,
most likely.

Now let's say the crooks get your credit card number. Your money is
still in the bank. You get the bill and notice there are charges you
didn't make The credit card company/merchant bears the risk of loss.
They should have verified it was you making the charges. Thieves won't
get the code from the back of the card. Their charges will easily be
reversed.

"Oh, but they are so easy to use, and they're free!"

Doh - tee - doh .................

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/10/2010 7:34 PM, BlueBrooke wrote:

> Nice looking, well-dressed people don't have issues or problems?
> Seriously?
>
> So because she had nice clothes on and didn't drool, she was, what,
> doing this on purpose? To irritate you?
>
> People have to be really old or obviously mentally challenged to
> deserve your patience? The fact that she was obviously having trouble
> counting wasn't enough for you?
>
> I only hope you hold yourself to the same high standards. Oh, wait --
> you've already shown that you don't.

And hope that you get stuck behind this slow witted and/or
inconsiderate or spaced out twits one each and every shopping venture.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I've been here for years. Didn't realize there was a posting quota to
> meet before one could express opinions.

There are posting quotas, pecking orders, snipping rules, rules regarding
off topic posts (unless you are a long time regular, and then they don't
apply to you). I agree. If you don't know all these hundreds of rules, you
are a rank newbie, and cannot be taken seriously.

Unless, of course, it is by all us'n other rank newbies who just watch and
laugh at all of these fatso sit around all day and cook and eat and talk on
the computer genetic mistakes.

Welcome, and kudos for catching on so quickly. You have great potential.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Warning: sad tale of check out line follows:

I went to Home Depot to buy a lot of "stuff".

Evening close to closing time.

Some of said "stuff" was copper fittings.

I bought the contractor's bags of fittings, as a bag of twenty cost about
what three of them individually cost.

Some of the bins only had single fittings, left from people breaking open
bags and not taking the whole bag.

When I got to the register, I had about $500 worth of goods. The individual
items would not ring up.

"Look, a bag of twenty is $5, so they're twenty five cents apiece and there
are seven of them."

"Oh, I can't do that, I'll be fired."

"MANAGER, REGISTER 6." goes out over the Intercom.

Wait.

Wait.

Wait.

"Oh, set them aside and ring these other items."

"Oh, I can't do that do that, I've already entered that item."

"Well, void it."

"That takes a manager."

"MANAGER, REGISTER 6" goes out over the intercom.

Stand.

Wait.

Stand.

Watch the line grow.

"Just start over, and we'll forget the single items."

"I can't do that without a manager or I'll be fired."

Making eye contact with people in line and shrugging like, "What? I'm
trying here."

"MANAGER, REGISTER 6."

Manager is apparently in back giving new hire a physical.

I start to walk out.

"Where you going?", she asks.

"Home."

Left about $500 worth of goods sitting there.

Felt good about it, too.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2010 3:09 PM, Steve B wrote:
> Warning: sad tale of check out line follows:
>
> I went to Home Depot to buy a lot of "stuff".
>
> Evening close to closing time.
>
> Some of said "stuff" was copper fittings.
>
> I bought the contractor's bags of fittings, as a bag of twenty cost about
> what three of them individually cost.
>
> Some of the bins only had single fittings, left from people breaking open
> bags and not taking the whole bag.
>
> When I got to the register, I had about $500 worth of goods. The individual
> items would not ring up.
>
> "Look, a bag of twenty is $5, so they're twenty five cents apiece and there
> are seven of them."
>
> "Oh, I can't do that, I'll be fired."
>
> "MANAGER, REGISTER 6." goes out over the Intercom.
>
> Wait.
>
> Wait.
>
> Wait.
>
> "Oh, set them aside and ring these other items."
>
> "Oh, I can't do that do that, I've already entered that item."
>
> "Well, void it."
>
> "That takes a manager."
>
> "MANAGER, REGISTER 6" goes out over the intercom.
>
> Stand.
>
> Wait.
>
> Stand.
>
> Watch the line grow.
>
> "Just start over, and we'll forget the single items."
>
> "I can't do that without a manager or I'll be fired."
>
> Making eye contact with people in line and shrugging like, "What? I'm
> trying here."
>
> "MANAGER, REGISTER 6."
>
> Manager is apparently in back giving new hire a physical.
>
> I start to walk out.
>
> "Where you going?", she asks.
>
> "Home."
>
> Left about $500 worth of goods sitting there.
>
> Felt good about it, too.
>
> Steve

Ah, so you're the checkout line idiot! I know what's gonna happen to you
when you die and get sent to hell. You're going to be stuck behind a
million guys like yourself in the express checkout line. Repent before
it's too late! :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve B wrote:

> I COULD have been mistaken, but the true story is that most people cannot
> tell you what they are actually paying on their debit/credit cards.
>
> Steve

Perhaps that is because they don't routinely pay *any* fees associated
with them.
Where'd do you get this idea?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 20:56:30 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 12/10/2010 7:34 PM, BlueBrooke wrote:
>
> > Nice looking, well-dressed people don't have issues or problems?
> > Seriously?
> >
> > So because she had nice clothes on and didn't drool, she was, what,
> > doing this on purpose? To irritate you?
> >
> > People have to be really old or obviously mentally challenged to
> > deserve your patience? The fact that she was obviously having trouble
> > counting wasn't enough for you?
> >
> > I only hope you hold yourself to the same high standards. Oh, wait --
> > you've already shown that you don't.

> And hope that you get stuck behind this slow witted and/or
> inconsiderate or spaced out twits one each and every shopping venture.

Honestly, Dave... this just isn't you.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"BlueBrooke" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 20:31:07 -0400, "Dora" > wrote:
>
>>Nancy is a kind person. I can't say the same for some of your
>>remarks. However, you have been posting here just since the end of
>>September, so I'm trying to keep an open mind.

> I've been here for years. Didn't realize there was a posting quota to
> meet before one could express opinions.
>
> Funny, lots of "kind" people saying some very unkind things in this
> thread. Wonder what that means.

LOL, people really have no idea how long others have been here just because
they don't post often.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 17:59:20 -0700, "Steve B"
> wrote:

> If you don't know all these hundreds of rules, you
> are a rank newbie, and cannot be taken seriously.

How do you know this newbie isn't an oldbie in disguise?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 16:02:43 -0700, "Steve B"
> wrote:

> >>Happiness is a debit card. I run it through while they're checking my
> >>groceries then hit the OK when the unit gives me the total. Joy to
> >>the world.

> And the oblivious bliss of the fees associated with such transactions. I'll
> bet you have no clue as to how much in fees you have paid in the last year.
> Am I correct? How much?

The business also pays a transaction fee. Depending on the vendor,
I've heard it can be as high at 10%.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 19:00:59 -0500, Andy > wrote:

> My bank's free checking account has a $2.00 penalty charge if I don't
> write one paper check a month.
>
> I pay my electric bill by paper check.

Eff that. Switch to Wells Fargo.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 18:09:41 -0700, "Steve B"
> wrote:

> I start to walk out.
>
> "Where you going?", she asks.
>
> "Home."

Whatta system.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 23:47:53 -0500, Andy > wrote:

> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 19:00:59 -0500, Andy > wrote:
> >
> >> My bank's free checking account has a $2.00 penalty charge if I don't
> >> write one paper check a month.
> >>
> >> I pay my electric bill by paper check.

> > Eff that. Switch to Wells Fargo.

> sf,
>
> I didn't have to. They bought out my Wachovia bank.
>
> I haven't reviewed the fine print terms they have for my account, out of
> my own laziness.
>
> What could possibly go wrong?... go wrong?... go wrong?...

Don't worry. They're okay. We've been with them for decades and no
problems yet.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"BlueBrooke" > wrote
> Dave has mentioned several times that this incident wasted at least,
> and probably more than, five minutes of his time. But he's spent much
> more time than that just in this thread alone.

There is a difference. He chose to use time when and how he saw fit without
impeding anyone else. If you feel it is wasted time, you can skip his, or
anyone else's, postings.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 19:50:16 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"BlueBrooke" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 20:31:07 -0400, "Dora" > wrote:
>>
>>>Nancy is a kind person. I can't say the same for some of your
>>>remarks. However, you have been posting here just since the end of
>>>September, so I'm trying to keep an open mind.

>> I've been here for years. Didn't realize there was a posting quota to
>> meet before one could express opinions.
>>
>> Funny, lots of "kind" people saying some very unkind things in this
>> thread. Wonder what that means.

>LOL, people really have no idea how long others have been here just because
>they don't post often.

They most certainly do know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 12, 8:39*pm, Goomba > wrote:
> Steve B wrote:
> > I COULD have been mistaken, but the true story is that most people cannot
> > tell you what they are actually paying on their debit/credit cards.

> > Steve

> Perhaps that is because they don't routinely pay *any* fees associated
> with them.
> Where'd do you get this idea?

Mine don't cost me anything....with one, I have to use it as a credit
card, (but it's a debit card) but the other one has no restrictions.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 12, 10:06*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 19:00:59 -0500, Andy > wrote:
> > My bank's free checking account has a $2.00 penalty charge if I don't
> > write one paper check a month.

> > I pay my electric bill by paper check.

> Eff that. *Switch to Wells Fargo. *
>
> --
>
> Never trust a dog to watch your food.

I pay my phone bill by a mailed paper check because the company
decided to charge $1 to pay online. Where's the cost in paying
online? It's all automatic. I was disgusted, so now I pay by paper
check - it saves me 56 cents. So, I'm cheap, it's the principle of
the thing.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/10/2010 9:05 PM, BlueBrooke wrote:

> You know, I suspect that if kind ol' Dave had posted anything about
> the stupid black guy who was taking too much time paying for his
> groceries, or the fat guy who couldn't fit through the check out line,
> or the Mexican or Italian or Chinese who didn't understand the money
> -- if he had made fun of these people I think -- I hope -- he would
> have been blasted for it.
>
> But, because his target was well-dressed and didn't appear to have
> anything wrong with her, except she couldn't seem to count the money

It was more than her inability to count money. It was the way she did
it..... reaching into and fumbling around in her purse and bringing out
small handfuls of changing and dropping them on the counter, making no
effort at all to sort them. The cashier had sorted and counted what she
had been given up to one point and then the woman slapped more coins
down on top of what had already been sorted and counted, so the cashier
had to sort and count all over.

> -- which would have been a red flag to some of us, but not to him or a
> bunch of people, apparently -- in this case, it's okay. And it's even
> more okay to pile on even more examples of how there is a significant
> percentage of the population who should just remove themselves and get
> out of the way.

What is odd is that you seem to think this sort of behaviour is okay.

> Dave has mentioned several times that this incident wasted at least,
> and probably more than, five minutes of his time. But he's spent much
> more time than that just in this thread alone.

It's my time to do as I wish. and just because I have time to go and
post later on does not mean that there was no hurry at the time, or that
she gets to waste ANY of my time with her odd behaviour.

As I said before, I can only hope that you end up behind people like
this on all your shopping ventures.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Eff that. Switch to Wells Fargo.

Wells Fargo was a bank that was good to me for years. In the last year,
they have gone to hell, and lost my business. Between all the accounts, we
have $100k in there at any given time. They were making me jump through
hoops to cash $100 checks, charging fees for the smallest things, and
generally acting like tyrants.

One time, they asked for two forms of pictured ID. I gave them my driver's
license and concealed firearm permit. They wouldn't take the CCF permit.
You have to go through an FBI check, and an international fingerprint
identification check to get one of those. When a manager was called, and I
explained what it took to get a CCF, he accepted it, but only grudgingly. I
said, "I have a COSTCO card with my picture on it." "Oh, that's
acceptable." How much background does it take to get a COSTCO card?

So, adios. Perhaps the Wells Fargo in your town is better than the one in
ours.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 07:09:49 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> So, I'm cheap, it's the principle of the thing.

When principle enters, cheapness (I say "thrifty") takes a back seat.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 08:53:39 -0700, "Steve B"
> wrote:

> So, adios. Perhaps the Wells Fargo in your town is better than the one in
> ours.

Wow, what a story! Apparently Wells Fargo employees are better
trained here.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"BlueBrooke" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 19:50:16 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>>LOL, people really have no idea how long others have been here just
>>because
>>they don't post often.
>>
>>Cheri

> Hey, Cheri. :-)

Hi BB. :-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"BlueBrooke" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 04:03:13 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

>>It doesn't really matter how long you've been posting here. You still
>>don't have to be so crass and insulting.

> I haven't done either of those things. I've seen quite a bit of it
> tonight, though. Maybe you're confusing me with all the important
> people. :-)

No, you haven't.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 19:50:16 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>>"BlueBrooke" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> I've been here for years. Didn't realize there was a posting quota to
>>> meet before one could express opinions.
>>>
>>> Funny, lots of "kind" people saying some very unkind things in this
>>> thread. Wonder what that means.

>>LOL, people really have no idea how long others have been here just
>>because
>>they don't post often.

> They most certainly do know.

No, they don't.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 19:50:16 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>LOL, people really have no idea how long others have been here just
>>>because
>>>they don't post often.

>> They most certainly do know.

> No, they don't.
>
> Cheri

Do too, do too, do too.

Neener, neener, neener ...............

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 16:02:43 -0700, Steve B wrote:

>>>Happiness is a debit card. I run it through while they're checking my
>>>groceries then hit the OK when the unit gives me the total. Joy to
>>>the world.

> And the oblivious bliss of the fees associated with such transactions. I'll
> bet you have no clue as to how much in fees you have paid in the last year.
> Am I correct? How much?
>
> Steve

zero.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 18:09:41 -0700, Steve B wrote:

> Warning: sad tale of check out line follows:
>
> I went to Home Depot to buy a lot of "stuff".
>
> Evening close to closing time.
>
> Some of said "stuff" was copper fittings.
>
> I bought the contractor's bags of fittings, as a bag of twenty cost about
> what three of them individually cost.
>
> Some of the bins only had single fittings, left from people breaking open
> bags and not taking the whole bag.
>
> When I got to the register, I had about $500 worth of goods. The individual
> items would not ring up.
>
> "Look, a bag of twenty is $5, so they're twenty five cents apiece and there
> are seven of them."
>
> "Oh, I can't do that, I'll be fired."
>
> "MANAGER, REGISTER 6." goes out over the Intercom.
>
> Wait.
>
> Wait.
>
> Wait.
>
> "Oh, set them aside and ring these other items."
>
> "Oh, I can't do that do that, I've already entered that item."
>
> "Well, void it."
>
> "That takes a manager."
>
> "MANAGER, REGISTER 6" goes out over the intercom.
>
> Stand.
>
> Wait.
>
> Stand.
>
> Watch the line grow.
>
> "Just start over, and we'll forget the single items."
>
> "I can't do that without a manager or I'll be fired."
>
> Making eye contact with people in line and shrugging like, "What? I'm
> trying here."
>
> "MANAGER, REGISTER 6."
>
> Manager is apparently in back giving new hire a physical.
>
> I start to walk out.
>
> "Where you going?", she asks.
>
> "Home."
>
> Left about $500 worth of goods sitting there.
>
> Felt good about it, too.
>
> Steve

this seems to be a major hobby for you.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 17:12:34 -0700, Steve B wrote:

> "itsjoannotjoann" > wrote in message

>>> And the oblivious bliss of the fees associated with such
>>> transactions. I'll bet you have no clue as to how much in fees you
>>> have paid in the last year. Am I correct? How much?

>>> Steve

>> In direct fees - nothing. In hidden fees if any - probably reflected
>> in the entire store sales.

> Same here. I know my bank charges a store less if I run my card
> through as a debit card than as a credit card. But any fees showing
> up on my statement monthly?? None. I haven't paid bank fees for a
> checking account since Adam was a lad and have never paid fees for ATM
> card or online bill pay either.
>
> I COULD have been mistaken, but the true story is that most people cannot
> tell you what they are actually paying on their debit/credit cards.
>
> Steve

maybe it's because they pay nothing and have no reason to think about it.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 13:03:35 -0500, BlueBrooke wrote:

> Lots of generally kind and patient people reach their limit at
> different times and for different reasons. I'm certainly no saint
> myself. I do try to remember, though, when in situations like this,
> that if this is the worst thing that happens to me today? Things are
> going pretty well. Which probably can't be said for the person in
> front of me that is having some kind of problem.
>
> I guess everyone needs to vent sometimes about all the "crazy" people
> or the "old men" or the "old women" or the ones who insist on using
> their checkbooks or the ones who insist on using cash or the ones who
> think "eight items or less" means "eight items or so."
>
> It might seem like you've been in line for an hour, but if you
> actually look at your watch, it's maybe five extra minutes. Why is
> your five minutes so much more important than her's?
>
> It does burn me up when I see all this self-righteous indignation
> about wasted time in a grocery store! Do they all *really* believe
> *they* have never been in the way?
>
> I've got news for all the perfect people out there, though. There
> are a lot more of "us" and there are of "you."

bring something to read if you expect to be in a line. end of problem.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 11:43:21 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 14:13:29 -0400, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>> meanwhile, the rest of us forget why we went into the living room and fret
>> that it's the beginning of the end.

> You too?

we ain't the only ones.

your pal,