Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The checkout line idiot

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 15:00:10 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>

> I once went to an express checkout with more than the maximum items and
> the cashier put up a stink. There was no one in front of or behind me in
> line and the other registers has long lines. What if someone shows up
> with 8 items? If she stopped arguing I would have been done. I see no
> reason for me to stand in line at a regular checkout while the express
> cashier stands around filing her nails waiting for someone who is
> spending a lot less money than I was.

Has that store had a policy written in stone line that from the gitgo?
Stores around here try to get their customers in and out quickly. I
don't bully myself into an express line when I know I'm significantly
over the limit, but I don't make a point of counting every single item
either (especially when the store is quiet). if I'm over 15 they
don't turn me away and if the express lane is looking for business,
I've been called over. Around here, checkers stock shelves when they
aren't checking groceries and I think most of them would rather be
checking than stocking.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 17:38:27 -0700, "Steve B"
> wrote:

> A lot of times I say, "Is that six pack considered one item or six?"

It's one.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 14:49:25 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

> nancy (skipped tolls a couple times, don't tell)

LOL! Mum's the word!

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 15:18:40 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On Wednesday nights after we finish our volunteer gig a bunch of us go
> to a local bar for wings and beer. One night one of the guys paid his
> $10 and change tab with a $20 bill. The waitress brought his change nd
> he left it sitting on the table. We lingered there for another 15-20
> minutes and the waitress had come to clear off the table. She asked him
> if that change was for her and he said yes..... forgetting that it was
> almost $10, close to 100% tip. He kicked himself later. He knew that
> she asked and he knew that he said yes.

Hopefully you have her regularly as a waitress and she gives you extra
good service... or maybe she will from now on.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 11:42:09 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

> I shop at night, usually after 11:00pm. Usually I can escape relatively
> unscathed.

I did that once on the mistaken belief that I would get out of there
fast, but I was stuck in the checkout line for 45 minutes. It was
midnight or after, it was a huge store, every single lane was open and
lines were longer than they would have been at noon on a Saturday. It
was the worst shopping experience of my entire life! No thank you, I
will never shop that late at night again. It may work for you, but it
didn't work for me.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 14:44:41 -0500, "Peaches" >
wrote:

> Oh, yeah, we do that ( older people like me) just to get under your skin. We
> have all the time in the world, now that we have no usefullness in society.

LOL, you go girl!

> Oh and to top it off, I use the dreaded COUPONS!! How dare I???!!

Gaaak.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 13:57:21 -0700, Meh > wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 11:05:24 -0400, Dave Smith >
> wrote:
>

> >First she got a Toonie and a Loonie,

> Well, THAT explains it all (you're in Canada).

I knew what they were, but "Loonie Toonies" was in my mind.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/2010 2:38 PM, Steve B wrote:
> "Dave > wrote in message
> om...

>>> How odd! Usually express line checkers pull people like you over to
>>> their register when they aren't busy. Being a checker is hard work
>>> and diplomacy - she wasn't cut out for the job - for sure.

>> I once went to an express checkout with more than the maximum items and
>> the cashier put up a stink. There was no one in front of or behind me in
>> line and the other registers has long lines. What if someone shows up with
>> 8 items? If she stopped arguing I would have been done. I see no reason
>> for me to stand in line at a regular checkout while the express cashier
>> stands around filing her nails waiting for someone who is spending a lot
>> less money than I was.

> A lot of times I say, "Is that six pack considered one item or six?"

Multiple numbers of the same items are considered a single item - unless
it's being bought by the idiot in front of you in the checkout line.

> Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 11:42:09 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>
>> I shop at night, usually after 11:00pm. Usually I can escape relatively
>> unscathed.

> I did that once on the mistaken belief that I would get out of there
> fast, but I was stuck in the checkout line for 45 minutes. It was
> midnight or after, it was a huge store, every single lane was open and
> lines were longer than they would have been at noon on a Saturday. It
> was the worst shopping experience of my entire life! No thank you, I
> will never shop that late at night again. It may work for you, but it
> didn't work for me.

My Vons is good that way, they keep more than one checker on for the evening
shift. Lines have never been a problem unless I get behind the college
crowd in for a late night alcohol binge.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> Yep. I never get behind an older person. They always

That's pretty grandiose.

> want to talk endlessly to the cashier. They will wait until
> everything is bagged up before they even begin to reach for their
> checkbooks.

Sure - they're likely watching to see that the correct price rings up.

> Then they take forever to write the check and just
> before writing the dollar amount they ask for something to be put
> back. Then they say "I changed my mind, I want the low fat milk
> instead" and then there is always something else.

Always? Jeepers.

> ---->>> It can take a long time to get one of them through. It's all for attention
> I am sure.

That's pretty presumptuous of you.

> I also never shop during the first few days of the month during the day as
> all the welfare recipients are their cashing their checks and fumbling with
> food stamps that seem to require 2 clerks and a manager to process.
>
> I shop at night, usually after 11:00pm. Usually I can escape relatively
> unscathed.

That's what the stores want ‹ a happy customer. So you'll keep coming
back for more entertainment. :-)

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/2010 5:58 PM, gloria.p wrote:

>> It was one of the most bizarre things I had ever seen. One might
>> reasonably expect that someone expecting to pay for something in that
>> price range with change should get her change organized ahead of time.
>> This was too bizarre because she reached in and pulled out a handful
>> of large coins, $1 and $2 coins and quarters, but obviously nowhere
>> near enough, and then she stood there waiting for the cashier to count
>> it out. Then she kept reaching in and rummaging around for more coins
>> and putting a bunch more down without any effort to count it, doing it
>> batches of about a dozen coins at a time. She was absolutely clueless.
>>
>> Maybe I should have been looking around for a hidden camera.

> Could she have been a foreigner, unfamiliar with the currency?

She had the $11.86 in Canadian money, so she must have been here long
enough to collect that much change and figure it out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:
> the cashier. Such is case with far too many older ppl. Be grateful
> it's not you.
>
> nb

And pray for compassionate others when it is.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
A few pics from the Fair are he
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller#100254
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2010-10-10, Mark Thorson > wrote:
>
> > The afflicted are largely oblivious to their state.

> You have no idea! :\
>
> nb

Not always true, though, nb. My 83-year-old sister has Alzheimer's and
she is fully aware of her deficiencies and it pains her greatly. :-(

OB Food: Leek and potato soup for supper, garnished with crispy bacon
bits; toasted ciabatta on the side.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
A few pics from the Fair are he
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller#100254
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> "spamtrap1888" > wrote in message
> On Oct 10, 11:42 am, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> > "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> >
> > om...
> >

> > >I picked up to items at the grocery store and went to one of the three
> > >express checkout lines, and chose this one because there was only one
> > >person at it, and she was all rung up and in the process of paying. Five
> > >minutes later I was wondering if I should change lanes or stay there and
> > >witness the spectacle. I opted to stay because of the entertainment
> > >value.

> > > The woman's bill was $11.86, which I remember because I heard it so many
> > > times as she counted out her change. Her purse wasn't that big and
> > > didn't seem to have that many compartments, but it was stuffed with
> > > crap,
> > > and, it seems, there was a lot of change in it.

> > > First she got a Toonie and a Loonie, a few quarters,some nickels, dimes
> > > and pennies. She gives up counting it and asks the cashier to do it, but
> > > she's only up to about four and a half bucks. So she rummaged around and
> > > puled out another handful of small coins, and the cashier had to start
> > > all
> > > over. Then the woman rummaged around and pulled out another handful of
> > > mixed coins. This went on and on, with this woman pulling out 50-60
> > > cents
> > > at a time until she finally had enough.

> > > I was tempted to say something but, despite her normal appearance, this
> > > woman was obviously not quite right. When the woman finally left I
> > > congratulated the cashier for keeping her cool and told her that I
> > > figured
> > > that my total would be under $10 and I had $20 bill ready to pay.

> > Yep. I never get behind an older person. They always want to talk
> > endlessly to the cashier.

> Use the self-service checkout if human interaction disturbs you so.
>
> > They will wait until everything is bagged up
> > before they even begin to reach for their checkbooks. Then they take
> > forever to write the check

> Are you that sure you're never going to get muscle tremors or
> arthritis?
>
> > and just before writing the dollar amount they
> > ask for something to be put back.

> In the olden days when the price of every food item was marked, it was
> easy to keep a running total of one's purchases. Now you must rely on
> your memory of an often-missing shelf sticker.

Actually most grocery stores around here have a little hand held widget
that you can use to keep a running tally, and when you get to the
checkout the checker can just read the gadget rather than making you
unload the cart so she can scan every item. If you bring you own bags
you can put them in the cart and bag as you go and this saves time and
labor for both you and the store.

> > Then they say "I changed my mind, I want
> > the low fat milk instead" and then there is always something else.

> When 1% milk comes in a pink carton, 2% in a rose carton, and whole
> milk in a red carton, it's easy to grab the wrong one.

If I grab the wrong one I just man up and make do with it. A single
carton of whole milk isn't going to kill anybody.

> > It can
> > take a long time to get one of them through. It's all for attention I am
> > sure.

> Right, because humans never get frail or make mistakes.
>

> > I also never shop during the first few days of the month during the day as
> > all the welfare recipients are their cashing their checks and fumbling
> > with
> > food stamps that seem to require 2 clerks and a manager to process.

> Customers are not responsible for the training of store staff. "Food
> stamps" are a card nowadays, too, dearie.

And praise the Lord for that. But it's not the elderly who are a
problem with food stamps, it's the young single mothers who think that
the law doesn't apply to them.

> > I shop at night, usually after 11:00pm. Usually I can escape relatively
> > unscathed.

> I suggest in future safeway.com or Schwan's.
>
> Hmmmm ... nope. Not wortking. I'll keep on avoiding both.

Shoprite and Stop&Shop also do online purchasing and will deliver.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >,
> notbob > wrote:
>
> > On 2010-10-10, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> >
> > > The afflicted are largely oblivious to their state.

> > You have no idea! :\
> >
> > nb

> Not always true, though, nb. My 83-year-old sister has Alzheimer's and
> she is fully aware of her deficiencies and it pains her greatly. :-(

My father is 94 and has senile dementia. The hardest part is that he
often realizes that he has it, but can do nothing about it. What's
*really* hard is that the thing he was the most proud of, throughout his
life, was his photographic memory. Now he can barely remember what he
is trying to say by the time he gets to the end of the sentence. He
remembers everything perfectly clearly from long ago, it's only short
term things he can't remember.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> "sf" > wrote in message

>>> I shop at night, usually after 11:00pm. Usually I can escape relatively
>>> unscathed.

>> I did that once on the mistaken belief that I would get out of there
>> fast, but I was stuck in the checkout line for 45 minutes. It was
>> midnight or after, it was a huge store, every single lane was open and
>> lines were longer than they would have been at noon on a Saturday. It
>> was the worst shopping experience of my entire life! No thank you, I
>> will never shop that late at night again. It may work for you, but it
>> didn't work for me.

Could it have been the last day of the month? A couple of news articles
recently talked about the people on food stamps shopping late at nigh on the
last day of the month. At midnight, they can cash out with the new
allotment posted to their account.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Steve B" > wrote:

> A lot of times I say, "Is that six pack considered one item or six?"

When I was a checkout chick my asshole father would come through my
express lane with half a trolley full of groceries, but fewer than 13
_types_ of things.

He would insist that six loaves of bread was one item, "bread" being the
item, etc.

I found it incredibly embarrassing, but didn't dare say anything.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"J. Clarke" > wrote in message
in.local...
> In article >,
> says...
>>
>> "spamtrap1888" > wrote in message
>> On Oct 10, 11:42 am, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>> > "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > om...

>> > Yep. I never get behind an older person. They always want to talk
>> > endlessly to the cashier.

>> Use the self-service checkout if human interaction disturbs you so.
>>
>> > They will wait until everything is bagged up
>> > before they even begin to reach for their checkbooks. Then they take
>> > forever to write the check

>> Are you that sure you're never going to get muscle tremors or
>> arthritis?
>>
>> > and just before writing the dollar amount they
>> > ask for something to be put back.

>> In the olden days when the price of every food item was marked, it was
>> easy to keep a running total of one's purchases. Now you must rely on
>> your memory of an often-missing shelf sticker.

> Actually most grocery stores around here have a little hand held widget
> that you can use to keep a running tally, and when you get to the
> checkout the checker can just read the gadget rather than making you
> unload the cart so she can scan every item. If you bring you own bags
> you can put them in the cart and bag as you go and this saves time and
> labor for both you and the store.
>
>> > Then they say "I changed my mind, I want
>> > the low fat milk instead" and then there is always something else.

>> When 1% milk comes in a pink carton, 2% in a rose carton, and whole
>> milk in a red carton, it's easy to grab the wrong one.

> If I grab the wrong one I just man up and make do with it. A single
> carton of whole milk isn't going to kill anybody.

Indeed. I am not so self-centered that I will tie up a whole checkout line
while I make lowly staff serve my every whim and fancy and kiss my ass while
dancing a jig because they have to or lose their jobs. If I buy the wrong
milk it won't kill me.

>> > It can
>> > take a long time to get one of them through. It's all for attention I
>> > am
>> > sure.

>> Right, because humans never get frail or make mistakes.
>>

>> > I also never shop during the first few days of the month during the day
>> > as
>> > all the welfare recipients are their cashing their checks and fumbling
>> > with
>> > food stamps that seem to require 2 clerks and a manager to process.

>> Customers are not responsible for the training of store staff. "Food
>> stamps" are a card nowadays, too, dearie.

> And praise the Lord for that. But it's not the elderly who are a
> problem with food stamps, it's the young single mothers who think that
> the law doesn't apply to them.

I have no problem with the welfare moms and the food stamps. I only stated
to the previous poster that I avoid stores during certain times so I do not
have to stand in line for literally 20 minutes while one welfare mom tries
to get her welfare check cashed and her food stamps authorized and we still
use coupon books where I live and it taks forever to process them. Somehow
just avoiding the source of frustration makes me some kind of inhuman
monster. I may be one after all but not for that reason.

>> > I shop at night, usually after 11:00pm. Usually I can escape relatively
>> > unscathed.

>> I suggest in future safeway.com or Schwan's.
>>
>> Hmmmm ... nope. Not wortking. I'll keep on avoiding both.

> Shoprite and Stop&Shop also do online purchasing and will deliver.

The price is just too high. And they never have all their store items
online. Usually quite a lot fewer and those are what I buy.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 10, 12:42*pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>
> om...
>

> >I picked up to items at the grocery store and went to one of the three
> >express checkout lines, and chose this one because there was only one
> >person at it, and she was all rung up and in the process of paying. Five
> >minutes later I was wondering if I should change lanes or stay there and
> >witness the spectacle. I opted to stay because of the entertainment value.

> > The woman's bill was $11.86, which I remember because I heard it so many
> > times as she counted out her change. * Her purse wasn't that big and
> > didn't seem to have that many compartments, but it was stuffed with crap,
> > and, it seems, there was a lot of change in it.

> > First she got a Toonie and a Loonie, a few quarters,some nickels, dimes
> > and pennies. *She gives up counting it and asks the cashier to do it, but
> > she's only up to about four and a half bucks. *So she rummaged around and
> > puled out another handful of small coins, and the cashier had to start all
> > over. *Then the woman rummaged around and pulled out another handful of
> > mixed coins. This went on and on, with this woman pulling out 50-60 cents
> > at a time until she finally had enough.

> > I was tempted to say something but, despite her normal appearance, this
> > woman was obviously not quite right. *When the woman finally left I
> > congratulated the cashier for keeping her cool and told her that I figured
> > that my total would be under $10 and I had $20 bill ready to pay.

> Yep. *I never get behind an older person. *They always want to talk
> endlessly to the cashier. *They will wait until everything is bagged up
> before they even begin to reach for their checkbooks. *Then they take
> forever to write the check and just before writing the dollar amount they
> ask for something to be put back. *Then they say "I changed my mind, I want
> the low fat milk instead" and then there is always something else. *It can
> take a long time to get one of them through. *It's all for attention I am
> sure.
>
> I also never shop during the first few days of the month during the day as
> all the welfare recipients are their cashing their checks and fumbling with
> food stamps that seem to require 2 clerks and a manager to process.
>
> I shop at night, usually after 11:00pm. *Usually I can escape relatively
> unscathed.
>
> Paul

==
Turkeyneck, don't judge all old people the same way. I have my check
ready for the cashier ALWAYS and they appreciate it.
==
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 20:42:29 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

> My father is 94 and has senile dementia. The hardest part is that he
> often realizes that he has it, but can do nothing about it. What's
> *really* hard is that the thing he was the most proud of, throughout his
> life, was his photographic memory. Now he can barely remember what he
> is trying to say by the time he gets to the end of the sentence. He
> remembers everything perfectly clearly from long ago, it's only short
> term things he can't remember.

Do you reduce groups of words to the first letter because you're
forgetting what you wanted to say too quickly?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 23:18:11 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> wrote:

> Actually most grocery stores around here have a little hand held widget
> that you can use to keep a running tally, and when you get to the
> checkout the checker can just read the gadget rather than making you
> unload the cart so she can scan every item.

No store around here does that. If that widget not only scans the
price, but shows it as well - I wish it would move West.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
On Oct 10, 12:42 pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>
> om...
>

> >I picked up to items at the grocery store and went to one of the three
> >express checkout lines, and chose this one because there was only one
> >person at it, and she was all rung up and in the process of paying. Five
> >minutes later I was wondering if I should change lanes or stay there and
> >witness the spectacle. I opted to stay because of the entertainment
> >value.

> > The woman's bill was $11.86, which I remember because I heard it so many
> > times as she counted out her change. Her purse wasn't that big and
> > didn't seem to have that many compartments, but it was stuffed with
> > crap,
> > and, it seems, there was a lot of change in it.

> > First she got a Toonie and a Loonie, a few quarters,some nickels, dimes
> > and pennies. She gives up counting it and asks the cashier to do it, but
> > she's only up to about four and a half bucks. So she rummaged around and
> > puled out another handful of small coins, and the cashier had to start
> > all
> > over. Then the woman rummaged around and pulled out another handful of
> > mixed coins. This went on and on, with this woman pulling out 50-60
> > cents
> > at a time until she finally had enough.

> > I was tempted to say something but, despite her normal appearance, this
> > woman was obviously not quite right. When the woman finally left I
> > congratulated the cashier for keeping her cool and told her that I
> > figured
> > that my total would be under $10 and I had $20 bill ready to pay.

> Yep. I never get behind an older person. They always want to talk
> endlessly to the cashier. They will wait until everything is bagged up
> before they even begin to reach for their checkbooks. Then they take
> forever to write the check and just before writing the dollar amount they
> ask for something to be put back. Then they say "I changed my mind, I want
> the low fat milk instead" and then there is always something else. It can
> take a long time to get one of them through. It's all for attention I am
> sure.
>
> I also never shop during the first few days of the month during the day as
> all the welfare recipients are their cashing their checks and fumbling
> with
> food stamps that seem to require 2 clerks and a manager to process.
>
> I shop at night, usually after 11:00pm. Usually I can escape relatively
> unscathed.
>
> Paul

==
Turkeyneck, don't judge all old people the same way. I have my check
ready for the cashier ALWAYS and they appreciate it.
==

And yet I'll never get in line behind you. Nothing personal, dude. See if
I said it annoyed me but I kept on doing it, I'd be chided for not doing
something about it - like say not getting in line behind them in the first
place.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 23:56:47 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
> wrote:

> Could it have been the last day of the month? A couple of news articles
> recently talked about the people on food stamps shopping late at nigh on the
> last day of the month. At midnight, they can cash out with the new
> allotment posted to their account.

Not a chance.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> "J. Clarke" > wrote in message
> in.local...
> > In article >,

> > says...

> >> Use the self-service checkout if human interaction disturbs you so.

> >> Are you that sure you're never going to get muscle tremors or
> >> arthritis?

> >> In the olden days when the price of every food item was marked, it was
> >> easy to keep a running total of one's purchases. Now you must rely on
> >> your memory of an often-missing shelf sticker.

> > Actually most grocery stores around here have a little hand held widget
> > that you can use to keep a running tally, and when you get to the
> > checkout the checker can just read the gadget rather than making you
> > unload the cart so she can scan every item. If you bring you own bags
> > you can put them in the cart and bag as you go and this saves time and
> > labor for both you and the store.

> >> When 1% milk comes in a pink carton, 2% in a rose carton, and whole
> >> milk in a red carton, it's easy to grab the wrong one.

> > If I grab the wrong one I just man up and make do with it. A single
> > carton of whole milk isn't going to kill anybody.

> Indeed. I am not so self-centered that I will tie up a whole checkout line
> while I make lowly staff serve my every whim and fancy and kiss my ass while
> dancing a jig because they have to or lose their jobs. If I buy the wrong
> milk it won't kill me.

> >> Right, because humans never get frail or make mistakes.

> >> Customers are not responsible for the training of store staff. "Food
> >> stamps" are a card nowadays, too, dearie.

> > And praise the Lord for that. But it's not the elderly who are a
> > problem with food stamps, it's the young single mothers who think that
> > the law doesn't apply to them.

> I have no problem with the welfare moms and the food stamps.

Depends on the moms. The worst holdup I ever recall in a checkout line
was a well dressed white woman, maybe 25 or so, who didn't tell the
clerk that she had food stamps until the clerk had already rung up the
order (this was before computerized checkout had reached the level where
the machine could sort out food stamp eligibility and there was a big
sign--present food stamps and coupons before checkout) and didn't have
the book, just the stamps. So there was a big row--the clerk would have
to run the whole two-basket order through again to segregate the food-
stamp eligible and non-food-stamp eligible items and determine the
proper charge, and the law said that without the book the food stamps
were not to be taken anyway. Of course the woman with the food stamps
wanted the clerk fired. The manager, after listening to the woman
bitch, and talking to the clerk, and to me, and to the person behind me
in the line, told the stupid bitch that he was going to call the cops
and let them decide whether to arrest her for food-stamp fraud. She
shut up and paid.

> I only stated
> to the previous poster that I avoid stores during certain times so I do not
> have to stand in line for literally 20 minutes while one welfare mom tries
> to get her welfare check cashed and her food stamps authorized and we still
> use coupon books where I live and it taks forever to process them. Somehow
> just avoiding the source of frustration makes me some kind of inhuman
> monster. I may be one after all but not for that reason.

> >> I suggest in future safeway.com or Schwan's.
> >>
> >> Hmmmm ... nope. Not wortking. I'll keep on avoiding both.

> > Shoprite and Stop&Shop also do online purchasing and will deliver.

> The price is just too high. And they never have all their store items
> online. Usually quite a lot fewer and those are what I buy.
>
> Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 10, 11:01*pm, Roy > wrote:

> Turkeyneck, don't judge all old people the same way. I have my check
> ready for the cashier ALWAYS and they appreciate it.

It's not always the elderly who wait until every item is rung up and
bagged before they even begin to dig out their checkbooks. I see
plenty of 30 and 40 somethings do this. They *know* they are going to
pay by check why not at least have the date and store name already
written on the check??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 10, 11:09*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 23:18:11 -0400, "J. Clarke"
>
> > wrote:
> > Actually most grocery stores around here have a little hand held widget
> > that you can use to keep a running tally, and when you get to the
> > checkout the checker can just read the gadget rather than making you
> > unload the cart so she can scan every item.

> No store around here does that. *If that widget not only scans the
> price, but shows it as well - I wish it would move West.

None of the stores around here either have it but I have heard of it.
No telling when it will get here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"itsjoannotjoann" > wrote in message
> On Oct 10, 11:01 pm, Roy > wrote:
>>

>> Turkeyneck, don't judge all old people the same way. I have my check
>> ready for the cashier ALWAYS and they appreciate it.
>>

> It's not always the elderly who wait until every item is rung up and
> bagged before they even begin to dig out their checkbooks. I see
> plenty of 30 and 40 somethings do this. They *know* they are going to
> pay by check why not at least have the date and store name already
> written on the check??

Our supermarkets don't take cheques any more, but some people seem to take a
long time finding their debit card or cash

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"itsjoannotjoann" > wrote in message
> On Oct 10, 11:09 pm, sf > wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 23:18:11 -0400, "J. Clarke"
>>
>> > wrote:
>> > Actually most grocery stores around here have a little hand held widget
>> > that you can use to keep a running tally, and when you get to the
>> > checkout the checker can just read the gadget rather than making you
>> > unload the cart so she can scan every item.

>> No store around here does that. If that widget not only scans the
>> price, but shows it as well - I wish it would move West.
>>

> None of the stores around here either have it but I have heard of it.
> No telling when it will get here.

Some of ours have those.
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
: On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 17:37:05 -0700, "Steve B"
: > wrote:
:
::
:: "Hollywood®Boy" <"manny or > wrote in message
:: ...
::: sf wrote:
:::: On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 08:19:46 -0700, "Steve B"
:::: > wrote:
::::
::::: My favorite experience was when I had ten or fifteen small items,
::::: and went to the 8 or less line. Or something along that line.
::::: All the other lines were a mile long, and t wasn't like I had 50
::::: or 60 items. The cashier made some snippy remark, so I just
::::: said, "I'll just go over to the other line, and walked over there
::::: leaving my items. I could see the manager go over to the express
::::: line, and talk to the cashier. He came over to me, and asked
::::: would I like to return to the express line. I said yes, and
::::: apologized for being a few precious items over the sacred limit,
::::: and that all the other lines had a huge waiting queue, so it was
::::: go there, or just leave my basket and go home. I told him that
::::: the clerk was just plain rude. She silently rang me up, and
::::: within a month, I noticed she was no longer there.
::::
:::: How odd! Usually express line checkers pull people like you over
:::: to their register when they aren't busy. Being a checker is hard
:::: work and diplomacy - she wasn't cut out for the job - for sure.
:::
::: How odd, that you would back up some fool trying to get past polite
::: suggestions at a place of business. Customers are not god,
::: including myself. We should speak up when guarantee's are not met,
::: or products are not whole. This fool just happened to serendipity
::: draw his own straw, and that is rude. If this is a larger chain,
::: this checker just could have gone
::: to another store. I don't think hilarity in believing one lost
::: their job is
::: evidence of the truth in a reenactment.
::
:: Say what? She said I should be in the other line, so I went there.
:: I do not know the reason she was not there a month later. With the
:: Clerks Union, I surely know it was not from anything she did on the
:: job.
::
:
: Hollywood boy needs to improve his English skills before he trolls
: again (or stop trolling while under the influence), because there was
: no common sense to his reply. His use of the word "hilarity" as if
: you or I were laughing about someone losing their job was completely
: off base and "serendipity" or "drawing your own straw" is not an act
: of rudeness.

wow, yer jealous, and just like a troll.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"itsjoannotjoann" > wrote in message
> On Oct 10, 11:01 pm, Roy > wrote:
>>

>> Turkeyneck, don't judge all old people the same way. I have my check
>> ready for the cashier ALWAYS and they appreciate it.
>>

> It's not always the elderly who wait until every item is rung up and
> bagged before they even begin to dig out their checkbooks. I see
> plenty of 30 and 40 somethings do this. They *know* they are going to
> pay by check why not at least have the date and store name already
> written on the check??

Many stores will even do that for you in the printer. All you have to do is
sign

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/2010 10:17 PM, sf wrote:

>> minutes and the waitress had come to clear off the table. She asked him
>> if that change was for her and he said yes..... forgetting that it was
>> almost $10, close to 100% tip. He kicked himself later. He knew that
>> she asked and he knew that he said yes.

> Hopefully you have her regularly as a waitress and she gives you extra
> good service... or maybe she will from now on.

She will probably be wondering what she is doing wrong that she is not
getting the 100% tips anymore.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/10/2010 1:18 AM, itsjoannotjoann wrote:

> It's not always the elderly who wait until every item is rung up and
> bagged before they even begin to dig out their checkbooks. I see
> plenty of 30 and 40 somethings do this. They *know* they are going to
> pay by check why not at least have the date and store name already
> written on the check??

True. It is not only the elderly. Most of them do it. If the store is
busy and there are lines at every cashier I do a quick scan to see how
many people there are in each line, how full their carts are, and all
factors equal go for the one with men. They are more likely to have
their money out and ready to pay before the total is rung up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 1:18*am, itsjoannotjoann > wrote:
> On Oct 10, 11:01*pm, Roy > wrote:
>
> > Turkeyneck, don't judge all old people the same way. I have my check
> > ready for the cashier ALWAYS and they appreciate it.

> It's not always the elderly who wait until every item is rung up and
> bagged before they even begin to dig out their checkbooks. *I see
> plenty of 30 and 40 somethings do this. *They *know* they are going to
> pay by check why not at least have the date and store name already
> written on the check??

Do people still use checks at the supermarket? I have one friend, god
bless him, who refuses to embrace technology and writes checks at the
supermarket (his wife uses the Visa check card attached to the
account). It limits his shopping options, as he can only go to markets
where he has been pre-approved to write checks.

I recall when I was in college in the 1980's, you needed a check-
cashing card for the supermarket. There were 2 chains in NY that also
had stores in CT. You needed to set it up with an "in-state" checking
account. Mom, in her infinite wisdom, advised me to set them up in CT.
That way, she could make deposits to my checking account at home and I
could cash the checks at the supermarket near school in NY state. She
was, in effect, buying my groceries. Which was less expensive than the
crappy meal plan. Once you had the check cashing card, they didn't
bother to look whether it was an "in-state" or "out of state" check.
You were in the "club" and pre-approved to write checks. This was
nearly 30 years ago, before "interstate" banking. It was just the
beginning of ATM's and not all banks were linked together. There was
"NYCE" (New York Cash Exchange) and the PLUS network. My bank at home
wasn't on the NYCE, but it was on the Plus network. Only one bank in
Metro NYC was PLUS. So having check cashing privileges at the
supermarkets was a boon.

Anyway, most people I know just use their ATM card for purchases at
supermarkets and drug stores. It comes right out of their checking
account, same as if you wrote a check, but it's much faster at the
checkout line. Nowadays, I only use my checkbook for copays at the
doctor's office, and to pay my landlady. Most other bills are paid
online.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Yep. *I never get behind an older person. *They always want to talk
> endlessly to the cashier. *They will wait until everything is bagged up
> before they even begin to reach for their checkbooks. *Then they take
> forever to write the check and just before writing the dollar amount they
>
> Paul- Hide quoted text -

Don't tar all of us with the same brush. Many of us seniors are much
faster (and not as addled, distracted, or iPoded-out) than the young
adults.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/10/2010 12:14 PM, Nancy2 wrote:

>> Yep. I never get behind an older person. They always want to talk
>> endlessly to the cashier. They will wait until everything is bagged up
>> before they even begin to reach for their checkbooks. Then they take
>> forever to write the check and just before writing the dollar amount they
>>
>> Paul- Hide quoted text -

> Don't tar all of us with the same brush. Many of us seniors are much
> faster (and not as addled, distracted, or iPoded-out) than the young
> adults.

You're right. It isn't fair to tar all seniors with the same brush.
Never the less, some of us find it frustrating to have our tie wasted.
It is not always old ladies who do it, but it most often is. The stand
there idly while their purchases are being rung up. They must know that
they are going to have to pay when it is totalled. You would think that
they had some idea of how much it was going to cost and to be ready to
pay. But no. They wait until the cashier tells them the total. Then
they start looking through their purse for their wallet. Then they have
to look through their wallet for the cash. Then they dig through their
change purse to try to get the exact cash.

The fact that there are people behind to get frustrated should indicate
that there is a line. These people are already waiting because stores
prefer to save money by cutting back on cashiers. Now they have to wait
even longer because these old girls never have their money ready to pay
and then take so long to get it out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 11:23*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 11/10/2010 12:14 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
>

> >> Yep. *I never get behind an older person. *They always want to talk
> >> endlessly to the cashier. *They will wait until everything is bagged up
> >> before they even begin to reach for their checkbooks. *Then they take
> >> forever to write the check and just before writing the dollar amount they

> >> Paul- Hide quoted text -

> > Don't tar all of us with the same brush. *Many of us seniors are much
> > faster (and not as addled, distracted, or iPoded-out) than the young
> > adults.

> You're right. It isn't fair to tar all seniors with the same brush.
> Never the less, some of us find it frustrating to have our tie wasted.
> It is not always old ladies who do it, but it most often is. The stand
> there idly while their purchases are being rung up. They must know that
> they are going to have to pay when it is totalled. *You would think that
> they had some idea of how much it was going to cost and to be ready to
> pay. But no. They wait until the cashier tells them the total. Then
> they start looking through their purse for their wallet. Then they have
> to look through their wallet for the cash. *Then they dig through their
> change purse to try to get the exact cash.
>
> The fact that there are people behind to get frustrated should indicate
> that there is a line. These people are already waiting because stores
> prefer to save money by cutting back on cashiers. Now they have to wait
> even longer because these old girls *

....in your sweeping condemnation, don't forget "....and old men!"

I find it incredibly annoying that the men on my bus-to-work-to-home
route - always the same - NEVER have their bus passes out until after
they get on the bus. The women - no problem, they always have it in
hand or in a handy pocket. The men stand up front (while the bus
stops and waits), fumble around in a briefcase or wallet, retrieve the
card (finally) and put it in the slot. Then they stand there again to
put it away, making the driver wait (he can't move the bus while they
are standing). It is always the men, never the women. Always.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 19:03:08 -0700, sf > arranged
random neurons and said:

>Hollywood boy needs to improve his English skills before he trolls
>again (or stop trolling while under the influence), because there was
>no common sense to his reply. His use of the word "hilarity" as if
>you or I were laughing about someone losing their job was completely
>off base and "serendipity" or "drawing your own straw" is not an act
>of rudeness.

He also used a reflexive pronoun and a possessive apostrophe
incorrectly, a comma thrown in for no good reason and that last
sentence just confounds me. Persuasive argument is not helped by
mangling the English language.

OB: The Coeurs A La Creme With Raspberry Sauce were lovely and light,
but the raspberry sauce was a little weak. I think next time, I'll
include some raspberry jam to "muscle" it up a bit.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 11:48:37 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> arranged random neurons and said:

>Christopher Helms wrote:

>> I have a freakish talent for getting behind people like that. It seems
>> to happen way more than simple chance or normal bad luck should allow.

>Same here. I'm leary of lines that are suspiciously shorter than
>they should be, why isn't anyone getting in that line?

<snip>

Not necessarily, Nancy. Bill was a bank teller for BofA when he was
working his was through undergrad school. This was back when there
wasn't one general line and you went to the first available teller,
but each teller had a line form in front of him/her. There could be 10
people in the bank and no one in front of Bill's teller counter. He
looks a bit like Richard Burton (the explorer, not the actor) and his
resting expression isn't exactly fierce, but it's been known to induce
the lawyer on the other side to settle <g> Bill's moustache isn't as
big, but go here for a photo of Richard Burton and you'll see why:

http://www.roadjunky.com/article/723...reat-travelers

OB: Made French toast for Bill and #1 granddaughter this morning.
Since I started homeschooling her in August, she says she's gained 5
pounds (which she can use - skinny little thing). She has breakfast
and lunch here everyday which is fun for both of us.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,
and if the turkey had had a breast like the maid,
it would have been a swell dinner." Duncan Hines

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> > Not always true, though, nb. My 83-year-old sister has Alzheimer's and
> > she is fully aware of her deficiencies and it pains her greatly. :-(

> My father is 94 and has senile dementia. The hardest part is that he
> often realizes that he has it, but can do nothing about it. What's
> *really* hard is that the thing he was the most proud of, throughout his
> life, was his photographic memory. Now he can barely remember what he
> is trying to say by the time he gets to the end of the sentence. He
> remembers everything perfectly clearly from long ago, it's only short
> term things he can't remember.

Sure. I experienced similar after the birth of my kids. It was
attributed to lingering effects of anesthesia. <shrug> We're getting
forgetful of things around here, too. I've told HWSRN that he should
just go out and buy 5 pair of reading glasses and leave them in the
three places he most uses them. Me, I use my calendar a lot for
reminders of various things.

OB Food: mediocre fare at a birthday open house yesterday.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
A few pics from the Fair are he
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller#100254
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 10/10/2010 5:58 PM, gloria.p wrote:
>>

>> Could she have been a foreigner, unfamiliar with the currency?
>>

> She had the $11.86 in Canadian money, so she must have been here long
> enough to collect that much change and figure it out.

IME when you are in a foreign country the bills with the numbers on them
are easy to calculate. The coins, which are all different sizes and
relative proportions from your own country's coins, are a PITA to
remember when you are flustered.

gloria p