Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The checkout line idiot

I picked up to items at the grocery store and went to one of the three
express checkout lines, and chose this one because there was only one
person at it, and she was all rung up and in the process of paying. Five
minutes later I was wondering if I should change lanes or stay there and
witness the spectacle. I opted to stay because of the entertainment value.

The woman's bill was $11.86, which I remember because I heard it so many
times as she counted out her change. Her purse wasn't that big and
didn't seem to have that many compartments, but it was stuffed with
crap, and, it seems, there was a lot of change in it.

First she got a Toonie and a Loonie, a few quarters,some nickels, dimes
and pennies. She gives up counting it and asks the cashier to do it,
but she's only up to about four and a half bucks. So she rummaged
around and puled out another handful of small coins, and the cashier had
to start all over. Then the woman rummaged around and pulled out
another handful of mixed coins. This went on and on, with this woman
pulling out 50-60 cents at a time until she finally had enough.

I was tempted to say something but, despite her normal appearance, this
woman was obviously not quite right. When the woman finally left I
congratulated the cashier for keeping her cool and told her that I
figured that my total would be under $10 and I had $20 bill ready to pay.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
om...
>I picked up to items at the grocery store and went to one of the three
>express checkout lines, and chose this one because there was only one
>person at it, and she was all rung up and in the process of paying. Five
>minutes later I was wondering if I should change lanes or stay there and
>witness the spectacle. I opted to stay because of the entertainment value.
>
> The woman's bill was $11.86, which I remember because I heard it so many
> times as she counted out her change. Her purse wasn't that big and
> didn't seem to have that many compartments, but it was stuffed with crap,
> and, it seems, there was a lot of change in it.
>
> First she got a Toonie and a Loonie, a few quarters,some nickels, dimes
> and pennies. She gives up counting it and asks the cashier to do it, but
> she's only up to about four and a half bucks. So she rummaged around and
> puled out another handful of small coins, and the cashier had to start all
> over. Then the woman rummaged around and pulled out another handful of
> mixed coins. This went on and on, with this woman pulling out 50-60 cents
> at a time until she finally had enough.
>
> I was tempted to say something but, despite her normal appearance, this
> woman was obviously not quite right. When the woman finally left I
> congratulated the cashier for keeping her cool and told her that I figured
> that my total would be under $10 and I had $20 bill ready to pay.

My favorite experience was when I had ten or fifteen small items, and went
to the 8 or less line. Or something along that line. All the other lines
were a mile long, and t wasn't like I had 50 or 60 items. The cashier made
some snippy remark, so I just said, "I'll just go over to the other line,
and walked over there leaving my items. I could see the manager go over to
the express line, and talk to the cashier. He came over to me, and asked
would I like to return to the express line. I said yes, and apologized for
being a few precious items over the sacred limit, and that all the other
lines had a huge waiting queue, so it was go there, or just leave my basket
and go home. I told him that the clerk was just plain rude. She silently
rang me up, and within a month, I noticed she was no longer there.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 10, 10:05*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> I picked up to items at the grocery store and went to one of the three
> express checkout lines, and chose this one because there was only one
> person at it, and she was all rung up and in the process of paying. Five
> minutes later I was wondering if I should change lanes or stay there and
> witness the spectacle. I opted to stay because of the entertainment value..
>
> The woman's bill was $11.86, which I remember because I heard it so many
> times as she counted out her change. * Her purse wasn't that big and
> didn't seem to have that many compartments, but it was stuffed with
> crap, and, it seems, there was a lot of change in it.
>
> First she got a Toonie and a Loonie, a few quarters,some nickels, dimes
> and pennies. *She gives up counting it and asks the cashier to do it,
> but she's only up to about four and a half bucks. *So she rummaged
> around and puled out another handful of small coins, and the cashier had
> to start all over. *Then the woman rummaged around and pulled out
> another handful of mixed coins. This went on and on, with this woman
> pulling out 50-60 cents at a time until she finally had enough.
>
> I was tempted to say something but, despite her normal appearance, this
> woman was obviously not quite right. *When the woman finally left I
> congratulated the cashier for keeping her cool and told her that I
> figured that my total would be under $10 and I had $20 bill ready to pay.

I have a freakish talent for getting behind people like that. It seems
to happen way more than simple chance or normal bad luck should allow.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-10-10, Dave Smith > wrote:

> I was tempted to say something but, despite her normal appearance, this
> woman was obviously not quite right.

Sounds if she's suffering some sort of senile dementia, like
alzheimers. My mom is at this level. She can shop for 2 hrs, then
takes an hour to pay. I keep an eye on her when she gets in line to
check out, but only help if the check lady (we know them all) begins
experiencing problems. Otherwise my mom will jes argue with me,
rather than deal with the business at hand. She did the change on the
belt routine once, but I stepped in and took over, finding her check
book for her and picking up all the change while the others in line
either backed out or resigned themselves and mom made out a check to
the cashier. Such is case with far too many older ppl. Be grateful
it's not you.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christopher Helms wrote:
> On Oct 10, 10:05 am, Dave Smith > wrote:

>> First she got a Toonie and a Loonie, a few quarters,some nickels,
>> dimes and pennies. She gives up counting it and asks the cashier to
>> do it,
>> but she's only up to about four and a half bucks. So she rummaged
>> around and puled out another handful of small coins, and the cashier
>> had to start all over. Then the woman rummaged around and pulled out
>> another handful of mixed coins. This went on and on, with this woman
>> pulling out 50-60 cents at a time until she finally had enough.
>>
>> I was tempted to say something but, despite her normal appearance,
>> this woman was obviously not quite right. When the woman finally
>> left I congratulated the cashier for keeping her cool and told her
>> that I figured that my total would be under $10 and I had $20 bill
>> ready to pay.

> I have a freakish talent for getting behind people like that. It seems
> to happen way more than simple chance or normal bad luck should allow.

Same here. I'm leary of lines that are suspiciously shorter than
they should be, why isn't anyone getting in that line? Sometimes
it's this one cashier who is really slow and pretty kooky too.
Other times it's as if all the other customers know this customer
is trouble.

A couple of weeks ago it was in Costco. Just one guy with two
items in line. What's the catch? I got to find out when I got into
that line and it took forever to check him out, all the time he took
to coughing all over everything without covering his mouth. Sigh.
Wasn't worth the short line.

Works in toll booths for me (before EZPass). I will get that one
person who doesn't have the money in hand or even in reach, for
that matter.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/2010 11:42 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2010-10-10, Dave > wrote:
>
>> I was tempted to say something but, despite her normal appearance, this
>> woman was obviously not quite right.

> Sounds if she's suffering some sort of senile dementia, like
> alzheimers. My mom is at this level. She can shop for 2 hrs, then
> takes an hour to pay. I keep an eye on her when she gets in line to
> check out, but only help if the check lady (we know them all) begins
> experiencing problems. Otherwise my mom will jes argue with me,
> rather than deal with the business at hand. She did the change on the
> belt routine once, but I stepped in and took over, finding her check
> book for her and picking up all the change while the others in line
> either backed out or resigned themselves and mom made out a check to
> the cashier. Such is case with far too many older ppl. Be grateful
> it's not you.

Sorry to hear about your mom. This was a young woman, maybe 30-35. She
was well dressed and well groomed.

It was one of the most bizarre things I had ever seen. One might
reasonably expect that someone expecting to pay for something in that
price range with change should get her change organized ahead of time.
This was too bizarre because she reached in and pulled out a handful of
large coins, $1 and $2 coins and quarters, but obviously nowhere near
enough, and then she stood there waiting for the cashier to count it
out. Then she kept reaching in and rummaging around for more coins and
putting a bunch more down without any effort to count it, doing it
batches of about a dozen coins at a time. She was absolutely clueless.

Maybe I should have been looking around for a hidden camera.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve B wrote:
: "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
: om...
:: I picked up to items at the grocery store and went to one of the
:: three express checkout lines, and chose this one because there was
:: only one person at it, and she was all rung up and in the process of
:: paying. Five minutes later I was wondering if I should change lanes
:: or stay there and witness the spectacle. I opted to stay because of
:: the entertainment value.
::
:
: My favorite experience was when I had ten or fifteen small items, and
: went to the 8 or less line. Or something along that line. All the
: other lines were a mile long, and t wasn't like I had 50 or 60 items.
: The cashier made some snippy remark, so I just said, "I'll just go
: over to the other line, and walked over there leaving my items. I
: could see the manager go over to the express line, and talk to the
: cashier. He came over to me, and asked would I like to return to the
: express line. I said yes, and apologized for being a few precious
: items over the sacred limit, and that all the other lines had a huge
: waiting queue, so it was go there, or just leave my basket and go
: home. I told him that the clerk was just plain rude. She silently
: rang me up, and within a month, I noticed she was no longer there.
:

if you **** as bad as you park, are you still going to get what you deserve?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/2010 11:35 AM, Christopher Helms wrote:

>> I was tempted to say something but, despite her normal appearance, this
>> woman was obviously not quite right. When the woman finally left I
>> congratulated the cashier for keeping her cool and told her that I
>> figured that my total would be under $10 and I had $20 bill ready to pay.

> I have a freakish talent for getting behind people like that. It seems
> to happen way more than simple chance or normal bad luck should allow.

I can't imagine anyone else getting stuck behind someone like this
woman. I have had my share of dullards who stand around like a deer in
the headlights when the cashier announces the total, and then the search
through the purse to find the wallet, then searching through the wallet
for exact change. I have had people behind me loading their stuff onto
the conveyor belt before I have my stuff on. I have had the old babes
ramming me repeatedly with their carts. This one was so bizarre that it
became amusing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 11:05:24 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> I was tempted to say something but, despite her normal appearance, this
> woman was obviously not quite right.

She could have some sort of mental illness and hadn't taken her meds
that day or maybe is in the early stages of Alzheimer's. You just
never know. She was definitely disorganized.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 08:19:46 -0700, "Steve B"
> wrote:

> My favorite experience was when I had ten or fifteen small items, and went
> to the 8 or less line. Or something along that line. All the other lines
> were a mile long, and t wasn't like I had 50 or 60 items. The cashier made
> some snippy remark, so I just said, "I'll just go over to the other line,
> and walked over there leaving my items. I could see the manager go over to
> the express line, and talk to the cashier. He came over to me, and asked
> would I like to return to the express line. I said yes, and apologized for
> being a few precious items over the sacred limit, and that all the other
> lines had a huge waiting queue, so it was go there, or just leave my basket
> and go home. I told him that the clerk was just plain rude. She silently
> rang me up, and within a month, I noticed she was no longer there.

How odd! Usually express line checkers pull people like you over to
their register when they aren't busy. Being a checker is hard work
and diplomacy - she wasn't cut out for the job - for sure.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 11:48:37 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

> Same here. I'm leary of lines that are suspiciously shorter than
> they should be, why isn't anyone getting in that line? Sometimes
> it's this one cashier who is really slow and pretty kooky too.
> Other times it's as if all the other customers know this customer
> is trouble.
>
> A couple of weeks ago it was in Costco. Just one guy with two
> items in line. What's the catch? I got to find out when I got into
> that line and it took forever to check him out, all the time he took
> to coughing all over everything without covering his mouth. Sigh.
> Wasn't worth the short line.

I always seem to reach the cashier when they have to change their roll
of adding machine paper or another checker comes over to buy a roll of
quarters.

> Works in toll booths for me (before EZPass). I will get that one
> person who doesn't have the money in hand or even in reach, for
> that matter.

It's shift changes/relief for me. Someone comes in with a new till.
It's quick, but it's slow - if you know what I mean. Thank god for
FasTrack.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 11:50:58 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> Sorry to hear about your mom. This was a young woman, maybe 30-35. She
> was well dressed and well groomed.
>
> It was one of the most bizarre things I had ever seen. One might
> reasonably expect that someone expecting to pay for something in that
> price range with change should get her change organized ahead of time.
> This was too bizarre because she reached in and pulled out a handful of
> large coins, $1 and $2 coins and quarters, but obviously nowhere near
> enough, and then she stood there waiting for the cashier to count it
> out. Then she kept reaching in and rummaging around for more coins and
> putting a bunch more down without any effort to count it, doing it
> batches of about a dozen coins at a time. She was absolutely clueless.
>
> Maybe I should have been looking around for a hidden camera.

Don't discount early onset Alzheimer's. It's rare, but it happens.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> First she got a Toonie and a Loonie,

For those of you who may be puzzled by these terms,
they are nicknames for Canadian coins.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> First she got a Toonie and a Loonie,

> For those of you who may be puzzled by these terms,
> they are nicknames for Canadian coins.

Thank you!

O, no longer puzzled!

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Don't discount early onset Alzheimer's. It's rare, but it happens.

I once talked to a nurse who worked with Alzheimer's
patients. She said when it occurs to people in their
30's or 40's, it goes really fast. Like within months
from the first signs to institutionalization, and
shortly thereafter, death.

I'm sure glad there's no history of Alzheimer's
in my family. What a terrible way to die, though
she told me it's mostly terrible on everybody else.
The afflicted are largely oblivious to their state.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-10-10, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> First she got a Toonie and a Loonie,

> For those of you who may be puzzled by these terms,
> they are nicknames for Canadian coins.

Thnx! I thought they might be old pogs, or whatever those things
were called.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-10-10, Mark Thorson > wrote:

> she told me it's mostly terrible on everybody else.
> The afflicted are largely oblivious to their state.

You have no idea! :\

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 10, 10:02*am, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> sf wrote:
>
> > Don't discount early onset Alzheimer's. *It's rare, but it happens.

> I once talked to a nurse who worked with Alzheimer's
> patients. *She said when it occurs to people in their
> 30's or 40's, it goes really fast. *Like within months
> from the first signs to institutionalization, and
> shortly thereafter, death.
>
> I'm sure glad there's no history of Alzheimer's
> in my family. *What a terrible way to die, though
> she told me it's mostly terrible on everybody else.
> The afflicted are largely oblivious to their state.

The mother of an acquaintance of mine was diagnosed with some sort of
dementia at age 45, and passed away at 49.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 10, 11:50*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 10/10/2010 11:42 AM, notbob wrote:
>

> > On 2010-10-10, Dave > *wrote:

> >> I was tempted to say something but, despite her normal appearance, this
> >> woman was obviously not quite right.

> > Sounds if she's suffering some sort of senile dementia, like
> > alzheimers. *My mom is at this level. *She can shop for 2 hrs, then
> > takes an hour to pay. *I keep an eye on her when she gets in line to
> > check out, but only help if the check lady (we know them all) begins
> > experiencing problems. *Otherwise my mom will jes argue with me,
> > rather than deal with the business at hand. *She did the change on the
> > belt routine once, but I stepped in and took over, finding her check
> > book for her and picking up all the change while the others in line
> > either backed out or resigned themselves and mom made out a check to
> > the cashier. *Such is case with far too many older ppl. *Be grateful
> > it's not you.

> Sorry to hear about your mom. This was a young woman, maybe 30-35. *She
> was well dressed and well groomed.
>
> It was one of the most bizarre things I had ever seen. *One might
> reasonably expect that someone expecting to pay for something in that
> price range with change should get her change organized ahead of time.
> This was too bizarre because she reached in and pulled out a handful of
> large coins, $1 and $2 coins and quarters, but obviously nowhere near
> enough, and then she stood there waiting for the cashier to count it
> out. Then she kept reaching in and rummaging around for more coins and
> putting a bunch more down without any effort to count it, doing it
> batches of about a dozen coins at a time. *She was absolutely clueless.
>
> Maybe I should have been looking around for a hidden camera.

I recall when I moved 7 years ago, I had accumulated an extraordinary
amount of change during the packing, finding little stashes of coins
here and there and putting them all in one central jar. I had quit
counting when I got to $10. I probably had at least twice that much.
Brought it to the market and was going to use the coinstar machine but
the fee was something like 9%. Mortgage rates were half that!!! I
picked up a few items for the new place: new litter box and scoop,
litter, trash bags, a new dishpan, who can remember what at this
point; but I went to the self-checkout lane. And stood there
inserting coins to pay for my purchase. FIne to use coins to pay for
your purchase, but at least, don't be rude about it and expect the
cashier to count it. I just rapidly fed the coin slot--the cash
register kept track of how much it was. I did warn anyone who got
behind me that I might be there a while... it's only fair.

My friend had a jug in which she had accumulated over $200 worth of
coins. I brought it to my bank, TD Bank. They have a coin machine that
is free for anyone to use, you do not even need to be bank customer.
It's right in the lobby. The machine counts out the coins and issues a
receipt. You bring the receipt to the teller and you are given cash.
They are a very good bank and I think they are nation wide??? I know
they are in New England, NY, NJ and the Toronto area.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

: > wrote:
:
[...]

How odd, that you would back up some fool trying to get past polite
suggestions at a place of business. Customers are not god, including
myself. We should speak up when guarantee's are not met, or products are
not whole. This fool just happened to serendipity draw his own straw, and
that is rude. If this is a larger chain, this checker just could have gone
to another store. I don't think hilarity in believing one lost their job is
evidence of the truth in a reenactment.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 15:42:51 +0000, notbob wrote:

> On 2010-10-10, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> I was tempted to say something but, despite her normal appearance, this
>> woman was obviously not quite right.

> Sounds if she's suffering some sort of senile dementia, like alzheimers.
> My mom is at this level. She can shop for 2 hrs, then takes an hour to
> pay. I keep an eye on her when she gets in line to check out, but only
> help if the check lady (we know them all) begins experiencing problems.
> Otherwise my mom will jes argue with me, rather than deal with the
> business at hand. She did the change on the belt routine once, but I
> stepped in and took over, finding her check book for her and picking up
> all the change while the others in line either backed out or resigned
> themselves and mom made out a check to the cashier. Such is case with
> far too many older ppl. Be grateful it's not you.
>
> nb

Wouldn't an ATM card, check or credit card solve that problem?

-Thufir
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
om...
>I picked up to items at the grocery store and went to one of the three
>express checkout lines, and chose this one because there was only one
>person at it, and she was all rung up and in the process of paying. Five
>minutes later I was wondering if I should change lanes or stay there and
>witness the spectacle. I opted to stay because of the entertainment value.
>
> The woman's bill was $11.86, which I remember because I heard it so many
> times as she counted out her change. Her purse wasn't that big and
> didn't seem to have that many compartments, but it was stuffed with crap,
> and, it seems, there was a lot of change in it.
>
> First she got a Toonie and a Loonie, a few quarters,some nickels, dimes
> and pennies. She gives up counting it and asks the cashier to do it, but
> she's only up to about four and a half bucks. So she rummaged around and
> puled out another handful of small coins, and the cashier had to start all
> over. Then the woman rummaged around and pulled out another handful of
> mixed coins. This went on and on, with this woman pulling out 50-60 cents
> at a time until she finally had enough.
>
> I was tempted to say something but, despite her normal appearance, this
> woman was obviously not quite right. When the woman finally left I
> congratulated the cashier for keeping her cool and told her that I figured
> that my total would be under $10 and I had $20 bill ready to pay.

Yep. I never get behind an older person. They always want to talk
endlessly to the cashier. They will wait until everything is bagged up
before they even begin to reach for their checkbooks. Then they take
forever to write the check and just before writing the dollar amount they
ask for something to be put back. Then they say "I changed my mind, I want
the low fat milk instead" and then there is always something else. It can
take a long time to get one of them through. It's all for attention I am
sure.

I also never shop during the first few days of the month during the day as
all the welfare recipients are their cashing their checks and fumbling with
food stamps that seem to require 2 clerks and a manager to process.

I shop at night, usually after 11:00pm. Usually I can escape relatively
unscathed.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Catmandy (Sheryl) wrote:

> My friend had a jug in which she had accumulated over $200 worth of
> coins. I brought it to my bank, TD Bank. They have a coin machine that
> is free for anyone to use, you do not even need to be bank customer.

Cool. Back when they were Commerce Bank, I thought you had to
be a customer to use their machine.

I put my coins in the Coinstar machine and get a receipt to use on
Amazon.com, I'm always buying from that website and this way
I'm not charged a fee to use the machine.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 11:48:37 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:

> I always seem to reach the cashier when they have to change their roll
> of adding machine paper or another checker comes over to buy a roll of
> quarters.

What is up with that timing, it happened to me again just a couple
of days go when I was buying my pumpkins and mums.

>> Works in toll booths for me (before EZPass). I will get that one
>> person who doesn't have the money in hand or even in reach, for
>> that matter.

> It's shift changes/relief for me. Someone comes in with a new till.
> It's quick, but it's slow - if you know what I mean. Thank god for
> FasTrack.

You kidding, it's the best. Where was that all my life. Commuting
wasn't bad enough, I had to wait in lines to pay for the privilege.
Never mind always making sure I had change, or any money at all,
for that matter.

nancy (skipped tolls a couple times, don't tell)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 10, 11:29*am, Thufir Hawat > wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 15:42:51 +0000, notbob wrote:
> > On 2010-10-10, Dave Smith > wrote:

> >> I was tempted to say something but, despite her normal appearance, this
> >> woman was obviously not quite right.

> > Sounds if she's suffering some sort of senile dementia, like alzheimers..
> > *My mom is at this level. *She can shop for 2 hrs, then takes an hour to
> > pay. *I keep an eye on her when she gets in line to check out, but only
> > help if the check lady (we know them all) begins experiencing problems.
> > Otherwise my mom will jes argue with me, rather than deal with the
> > business at hand. *She did the change on the belt routine once, but I
> > stepped in and took over, finding her check book for her and picking up
> > all the change while the others in line either backed out or resigned
> > themselves and mom made out a check to the cashier. *Such is case with
> > far too many older ppl. *Be grateful it's not you.

> > nb

> Wouldn't an ATM card, check or credit card solve that problem?

Do you think someone that disorganized with cash could magically know
how much money was in her bank account?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/2010 12:23 PM, sf wrote:

>> would I like to return to the express line. I said yes, and apologized for
>> being a few precious items over the sacred limit, and that all the other
>> lines had a huge waiting queue, so it was go there, or just leave my basket
>> and go home. I told him that the clerk was just plain rude. She silently
>> rang me up, and within a month, I noticed she was no longer there.

> How odd! Usually express line checkers pull people like you over to
> their register when they aren't busy. Being a checker is hard work
> and diplomacy - she wasn't cut out for the job - for sure.

I once went to an express checkout with more than the maximum items and
the cashier put up a stink. There was no one in front of or behind me in
line and the other registers has long lines. What if someone shows up
with 8 items? If she stopped arguing I would have been done. I see no
reason for me to stand in line at a regular checkout while the express
cashier stands around filing her nails waiting for someone who is
spending a lot less money than I was.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 10, 11:42*am, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>
> om...
>

> >I picked up to items at the grocery store and went to one of the three
> >express checkout lines, and chose this one because there was only one
> >person at it, and she was all rung up and in the process of paying. Five
> >minutes later I was wondering if I should change lanes or stay there and
> >witness the spectacle. I opted to stay because of the entertainment value.

> > The woman's bill was $11.86, which I remember because I heard it so many
> > times as she counted out her change. * Her purse wasn't that big and
> > didn't seem to have that many compartments, but it was stuffed with crap,
> > and, it seems, there was a lot of change in it.

> > First she got a Toonie and a Loonie, a few quarters,some nickels, dimes
> > and pennies. *She gives up counting it and asks the cashier to do it, but
> > she's only up to about four and a half bucks. *So she rummaged around and
> > puled out another handful of small coins, and the cashier had to start all
> > over. *Then the woman rummaged around and pulled out another handful of
> > mixed coins. This went on and on, with this woman pulling out 50-60 cents
> > at a time until she finally had enough.

> > I was tempted to say something but, despite her normal appearance, this
> > woman was obviously not quite right. *When the woman finally left I
> > congratulated the cashier for keeping her cool and told her that I figured
> > that my total would be under $10 and I had $20 bill ready to pay.

> Yep. *I never get behind an older person. *They always want to talk
> endlessly to the cashier.

Use the self-service checkout if human interaction disturbs you so.

>*They will wait until everything is bagged up
> before they even begin to reach for their checkbooks. *Then they take
> forever to write the check

Are you that sure you're never going to get muscle tremors or
arthritis?

> and just before writing the dollar amount they
> ask for something to be put back. *

In the olden days when the price of every food item was marked, it was
easy to keep a running total of one's purchases. Now you must rely on
your memory of an often-missing shelf sticker.

> Then they say "I changed my mind, I want
> the low fat milk instead" and then there is always something else.

When 1% milk comes in a pink carton, 2% in a rose carton, and whole
milk in a red carton, it's easy to grab the wrong one.

> *It can
> take a long time to get one of them through. *It's all for attention I am
> sure.

Right, because humans never get frail or make mistakes.

> I also never shop during the first few days of the month during the day as
> all the welfare recipients are their cashing their checks and fumbling with
> food stamps that seem to require 2 clerks and a manager to process.

Customers are not responsible for the training of store staff. "Food
stamps" are a card nowadays, too, dearie.

> I shop at night, usually after 11:00pm. *Usually I can escape relatively
> unscathed.

I suggest in future safeway.com or Schwan's.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 10, 2:08*pm, "Catmandy (Sheryl)" >
wrote:

> I recall when I moved 7 years ago, I had accumulated an extraordinary
> amount of change during the packing, finding little stashes of coins
> here and there and putting them all in one central jar. *I had quit
> counting when I got to $10. I probably had at least twice that much.
> Brought it to the market and was going to use the coinstar machine but
> the fee was something like 9%. Mortgage rates were half that!!! I
> picked up a few items for the new place: new litter box and scoop,
> litter, trash bags, a new dishpan, who can remember what at this
> point; but I went to the self-checkout lane. *And stood there
> inserting coins to pay for my purchase. FIne to use coins to pay for
> your purchase, but at least, don't be rude about it and expect the
> cashier to count it. *I just rapidly fed the coin slot--the cash
> register kept track of how much it was. I did warn anyone who got
> behind me that I might be there a while... it's only fair.

Last week I went to my local SuperStore for one item - Cristco. The
bill was $7 something, so I put my $20 in the self check out. My
change came tumbling out with a reminder not to forget 'your
change' . I thought, "how stupid", I can hear the change. Damned if
I didn't walk out forgetting the $10 bill. Went back the next day to
see if anyone had turned it in. No. Still bugs me that I was the
stupid one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/2010 3:13 PM, lainie wrote:

> Last week I went to my local SuperStore for one item - Cristco. The
> bill was $7 something, so I put my $20 in the self check out. My
> change came tumbling out with a reminder not to forget 'your
> change' . I thought, "how stupid", I can hear the change. Damned if
> I didn't walk out forgetting the $10 bill. Went back the next day to
> see if anyone had turned it in. No. Still bugs me that I was the
> stupid one.

On Wednesday nights after we finish our volunteer gig a bunch of us go
to a local bar for wings and beer. One night one of the guys paid his
$10 and change tab with a $20 bill. The waitress brought his change nd
he left it sitting on the table. We lingered there for another 15-20
minutes and the waitress had come to clear off the table. She asked him
if that change was for her and he said yes..... forgetting that it was
almost $10, close to 100% tip. He kicked himself later. He knew that
she asked and he knew that he said yes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-10-10, Thufir Hawat > wrote:

> Wouldn't an ATM card, check or credit card solve that problem?

To the best of my knowledge, plastic has no curative value,
whatsoever.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Member

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> om...
>>I picked up to items at the grocery store and went to one of the three
>>express checkout lines, and chose this one because there was only one
>>person at it, and she was all rung up and in the process of paying. Five
>>minutes later I was wondering if I should change lanes or stay there and
>>witness the spectacle. I opted to stay because of the entertainment value.
>>
>> The woman's bill was $11.86, which I remember because I heard it so many
>> times as she counted out her change. Her purse wasn't that big and
>> didn't seem to have that many compartments, but it was stuffed with crap,
>> and, it seems, there was a lot of change in it.
>>
>> First she got a Toonie and a Loonie, a few quarters,some nickels, dimes
>> and pennies. She gives up counting it and asks the cashier to do it, but
>> she's only up to about four and a half bucks. So she rummaged around and
>> puled out another handful of small coins, and the cashier had to start
>> all over. Then the woman rummaged around and pulled out another handful
>> of mixed coins. This went on and on, with this woman pulling out 50-60
>> cents at a time until she finally had enough.
>>
>> I was tempted to say something but, despite her normal appearance, this
>> woman was obviously not quite right. When the woman finally left I
>> congratulated the cashier for keeping her cool and told her that I
>> figured that my total would be under $10 and I had $20 bill ready to pay.

> Yep. I never get behind an older person. They always want to talk
> endlessly to the cashier. They will wait until everything is bagged up
> before they even begin to reach for their checkbooks. Then they take
> forever to write the check and just before writing the dollar amount they
> ask for something to be put back. Then they say "I changed my mind, I
> want the low fat milk instead" and then there is always something else.
> It can take a long time to get one of them through. It's all for
> attention I am sure.

Oh, yeah, we do that ( older people like me) just to get under your skin. We
have all the time in the world, now that we have no usefullness in society.

Oh and to top it off, I use the dreaded COUPONS!! How dare I???!!

> I also never shop during the first few days of the month during the day as
> all the welfare recipients are their cashing their checks and fumbling
> with food stamps that seem to require 2 clerks and a manager to process.
>
> I shop at night, usually after 11:00pm. Usually I can escape relatively
> unscathed.
>
> Paul

Welcome to it, that way you don't have to put up with the riff raff that
seems to bother you enough to post it here...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 10, 11:05*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> I picked up to items at the grocery store and went to one of the three
> express checkout lines, and chose this one because there was only one
> person at it, and she was all rung up and in the process of paying. Five
> minutes later I was wondering if I should change lanes or stay there and
> witness the spectacle. I opted to stay because of the entertainment value..
>
> The woman's bill was $11.86, which I remember because I heard it so many
> times as she counted out her change. * Her purse wasn't that big and
> didn't seem to have that many compartments, but it was stuffed with
> crap, and, it seems, there was a lot of change in it.
>
> First she got a Toonie and a Loonie, a few quarters,some nickels, dimes
> and pennies. *She gives up counting it and asks the cashier to do it,
> but she's only up to about four and a half bucks. *So she rummaged
> around and puled out another handful of small coins, and the cashier had
> to start all over. *Then the woman rummaged around and pulled out
> another handful of mixed coins. This went on and on, with this woman
> pulling out 50-60 cents at a time until she finally had enough.
>
> I was tempted to say something but, despite her normal appearance, this
> woman was obviously not quite right. *When the woman finally left I
> congratulated the cashier for keeping her cool and told her that I
> figured that my total would be under $10 and I had $20 bill ready to pay.

thats rather harsh of you isn't it?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
: On 10/10/2010 12:23 PM, sf wrote:
:
[...]

you are making this stuff up, and I bet this is not the first time.
security was invented for you and others that think they have rights all
over the place. sheesh

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 10, 11:19*am, "Steve B" > wrote:
> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>
> om...
>

> >I picked up to items at the grocery store and went to one of the three
> >express checkout lines, and chose this one because there was only one
> >person at it, and she was all rung up and in the process of paying. Five
> >minutes later I was wondering if I should change lanes or stay there and
> >witness the spectacle. I opted to stay because of the entertainment value.

> > The woman's bill was $11.86, which I remember because I heard it so many
> > times as she counted out her change. * Her purse wasn't that big and
> > didn't seem to have that many compartments, but it was stuffed with crap,
> > and, it seems, there was a lot of change in it.

> > First she got a Toonie and a Loonie, a few quarters,some nickels, dimes
> > and pennies. *She gives up counting it and asks the cashier to do it, but
> > she's only up to about four and a half bucks. *So she rummaged around and
> > puled out another handful of small coins, and the cashier had to start all
> > over. *Then the woman rummaged around and pulled out another handful of
> > mixed coins. This went on and on, with this woman pulling out 50-60 cents
> > at a time until she finally had enough.

> > I was tempted to say something but, despite her normal appearance, this
> > woman was obviously not quite right. *When the woman finally left I
> > congratulated the cashier for keeping her cool and told her that I figured
> > that my total would be under $10 and I had $20 bill ready to pay.

> My favorite experience was when I had ten or fifteen small items, and went
> to the 8 or less line. *Or something along that line. *All the other lines
> were a mile long, and t wasn't like I had 50 or 60 items. *The cashier made
> some snippy remark, so I just said, "I'll just go over to the other line,
> and walked over there leaving my items. *I could see the manager go over to
> the express line, and talk to the cashier. *He came over to me, and asked
> would I like to return to the express line. *I said yes, and apologized for
> being a few precious items over the sacred limit, and that all the other
> lines had a huge waiting queue, so it was go there, or just leave my basket
> and go home. *I told him that the clerk was just plain rude. *She silently
> rang me up, and within a month, I noticed she was no longer there.
>
> Steve- Hide quoted text -

What is it about 8 items that you do not understand? If you have 9
items get in the other line or go home. The cashier probably got a
better job where she didn't have to deal with itemCrime.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> This was a young woman, maybe 30-35. She
> was well dressed and well groomed.
>
> It was one of the most bizarre things I had ever seen. One might
> reasonably expect that someone expecting to pay for something in that
> price range with change should get her change organized ahead of time.
> This was too bizarre because she reached in and pulled out a handful of
> large coins, $1 and $2 coins and quarters, but obviously nowhere near
> enough, and then she stood there waiting for the cashier to count it
> out. Then she kept reaching in and rummaging around for more coins and
> putting a bunch more down without any effort to count it, doing it
> batches of about a dozen coins at a time. She was absolutely clueless.
>
> Maybe I should have been looking around for a hidden camera.

Could she have been a foreigner, unfamiliar with the currency?

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"spamtrap1888" > wrote in message
> [...]

When 1% milk comes in a pink carton, 2% in a rose carton, and whole
milk in a red carton, it's easy to grab the wrong one.

> It can
> take a long time to get one of them through. It's all for attention I am
> sure.

Right, because humans never get frail or make mistakes.

> I also never shop during the first few days of the month during the day as
> all the welfare recipients are their cashing their checks and fumbling
> with
> food stamps that seem to require 2 clerks and a manager to process.

Customers are not responsible for the training of store staff. "Food
stamps" are a card nowadays, too, dearie.

> I shop at night, usually after 11:00pm. Usually I can escape relatively
> unscathed.

I suggest in future safeway.com or Schwan's.

Hmmmm ... nope. Not wortking. I'll keep on avoiding both.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Peaches" > wrote in message
> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> om...
>>>I picked up to items at the grocery store and went to one of the three
>>>express checkout lines, and chose this one because there was only one
>>>person at it, and she was all rung up and in the process of paying. Five
>>>minutes later I was wondering if I should change lanes or stay there and
>>>witness the spectacle. I opted to stay because of the entertainment
>>>value.
>>>
>>> The woman's bill was $11.86, which I remember because I heard it so many
>>> times as she counted out her change. Her purse wasn't that big and
>>> didn't seem to have that many compartments, but it was stuffed with
>>> crap, and, it seems, there was a lot of change in it.
>>>
>>> First she got a Toonie and a Loonie, a few quarters,some nickels, dimes
>>> and pennies. She gives up counting it and asks the cashier to do it,
>>> but she's only up to about four and a half bucks. So she rummaged
>>> around and puled out another handful of small coins, and the cashier had
>>> to start all over. Then the woman rummaged around and pulled out
>>> another handful of mixed coins. This went on and on, with this woman
>>> pulling out 50-60 cents at a time until she finally had enough.
>>>
>>> I was tempted to say something but, despite her normal appearance, this
>>> woman was obviously not quite right. When the woman finally left I
>>> congratulated the cashier for keeping her cool and told her that I
>>> figured that my total would be under $10 and I had $20 bill ready to
>>> pay.

>> Yep. I never get behind an older person. They always want to talk
>> endlessly to the cashier. They will wait until everything is bagged up
>> before they even begin to reach for their checkbooks. Then they take
>> forever to write the check and just before writing the dollar amount they
>> ask for something to be put back. Then they say "I changed my mind, I
>> want the low fat milk instead" and then there is always something else.
>> It can take a long time to get one of them through. It's all for
>> attention I am sure.
>>

> Oh, yeah, we do that ( older people like me) just to get under your skin.
> We have all the time in the world, now that we have no usefullness in
> society.
>
> Oh and to top it off, I use the dreaded COUPONS!! How dare I???!!

I was going to mention coupons but I figured everyone could relate to that..

>> I also never shop during the first few days of the month during the day
>> as all the welfare recipients are their cashing their checks and fumbling
>> with food stamps that seem to require 2 clerks and a manager to process.
>>
>> I shop at night, usually after 11:00pm. Usually I can escape relatively
>> unscathed.
>>
>> Paul
>>

> Welcome to it, that way you don't have to put up with the riff raff that
> seems to bother you enough to post it here...

Works for me.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Hollywood®Boy" <"manny or > wrote in message
> sf wrote:
> : On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 08:19:46 -0700, "Steve B"
> : > wrote:
> :
> :: My favorite experience was when I had ten or fifteen small items,
> :: and went to the 8 or less line. Or something along that line. All
> :: the other lines were a mile long, and t wasn't like I had 50 or 60
> :: items. The cashier made some snippy remark, so I just said, "I'll
> :: just go over to the other line, and walked over there leaving my
> :: items. I could see the manager go over to the express line, and
> :: talk to the cashier. He came over to me, and asked would I like to
> :: return to the express line. I said yes, and apologized for being a
> :: few precious items over the sacred limit, and that all the other
> :: lines had a huge waiting queue, so it was go there, or just leave my
> :: basket and go home. I told him that the clerk was just plain rude.
> :: She silently rang me up, and within a month, I noticed she was no
> :: longer there.
> :
> : How odd! Usually express line checkers pull people like you over to
> : their register when they aren't busy. Being a checker is hard work
> : and diplomacy - she wasn't cut out for the job - for sure.
>
> How odd, that you would back up some fool trying to get past polite
> suggestions at a place of business. Customers are not god, including
> myself. We should speak up when guarantee's are not met, or products are
> not whole. This fool just happened to serendipity draw his own straw, and
> that is rude. If this is a larger chain, this checker just could have
> gone
> to another store. I don't think hilarity in believing one lost their job
> is
> evidence of the truth in a reenactment.

Say what? She said I should be in the other line, so I went there. I do
not know the reason she was not there a month later. With the Clerks Union,
I surely know it was not from anything she did on the job.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
om...
> On 10/10/2010 12:23 PM, sf wrote:
>
>>> would I like to return to the express line. I said yes, and apologized
>>> for
>>> being a few precious items over the sacred limit, and that all the other
>>> lines had a huge waiting queue, so it was go there, or just leave my
>>> basket
>>> and go home. I told him that the clerk was just plain rude. She
>>> silently
>>> rang me up, and within a month, I noticed she was no longer there.

>> How odd! Usually express line checkers pull people like you over to
>> their register when they aren't busy. Being a checker is hard work
>> and diplomacy - she wasn't cut out for the job - for sure.

> I once went to an express checkout with more than the maximum items and
> the cashier put up a stink. There was no one in front of or behind me in
> line and the other registers has long lines. What if someone shows up with
> 8 items? If she stopped arguing I would have been done. I see no reason
> for me to stand in line at a regular checkout while the express cashier
> stands around filing her nails waiting for someone who is spending a lot
> less money than I was.

A lot of times I say, "Is that six pack considered one item or six?"

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 17:37:05 -0700, "Steve B"
> wrote:

> "Hollywood®Boy" <"manny or > wrote in message
> > sf wrote:
> > : On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 08:19:46 -0700, "Steve B"
> > : > wrote:
> > :
> > :: My favorite experience was when I had ten or fifteen small items,
> > :: and went to the 8 or less line. Or something along that line. All
> > :: the other lines were a mile long, and t wasn't like I had 50 or 60
> > :: items. The cashier made some snippy remark, so I just said, "I'll
> > :: just go over to the other line, and walked over there leaving my
> > :: items. I could see the manager go over to the express line, and
> > :: talk to the cashier. He came over to me, and asked would I like to
> > :: return to the express line. I said yes, and apologized for being a
> > :: few precious items over the sacred limit, and that all the other
> > :: lines had a huge waiting queue, so it was go there, or just leave my
> > :: basket and go home. I told him that the clerk was just plain rude.
> > :: She silently rang me up, and within a month, I noticed she was no
> > :: longer there.
> > :
> > : How odd! Usually express line checkers pull people like you over to
> > : their register when they aren't busy. Being a checker is hard work
> > : and diplomacy - she wasn't cut out for the job - for sure.
> >
> > How odd, that you would back up some fool trying to get past polite
> > suggestions at a place of business. Customers are not god, including
> > myself. We should speak up when guarantee's are not met, or products are
> > not whole. This fool just happened to serendipity draw his own straw, and
> > that is rude. If this is a larger chain, this checker just could have
> > gone
> > to another store. I don't think hilarity in believing one lost their job
> > is
> > evidence of the truth in a reenactment.

> Say what? She said I should be in the other line, so I went there. I do
> not know the reason she was not there a month later. With the Clerks Union,
> I surely know it was not from anything she did on the job.

Hollywood boy needs to improve his English skills before he trolls
again (or stop trolling while under the influence), because there was
no common sense to his reply. His use of the word "hilarity" as if
you or I were laughing about someone losing their job was completely
off base and "serendipity" or "drawing your own straw" is not an act
of rudeness.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.