Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The checkout line idiot

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 12:03:05 +1300, Miche > wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 10:58:19 +1300, Miche > wrote:
> >
> > > No, he was being an asshole. Trust me on this.

> > My friend put herself through college as a telephone operator and she
> > got her dad every now and then. She pretended he was a stranger
> > because he was so awful, being verbally abusive and swearing.

> It sucks. I hope she doesn't have to put up with that any more.

He was a real SOB, one of those people who wasn't mourned very long
after he passed.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 4:44*pm, "Steve B" > wrote:

> Same way with people who think I need to sit behind six carts of checkout
> goods for my seven over the limit purchase.
>
> Do the math. *From the store's standpoint, that is.
>
> Or maybe they just should be quietly taken to the little produce backroom
> and beaten with a belt. *After all, rules ARE rules.
>
> Steve

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA, oh hell I needed that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 18:17:21 -0700 (PDT), itsjoannotjoann
> wrote:

> 'Fraid so. I'm just now getting co-worker to use her ATM card. She's
> all the time whining she forgets to post that purchase in her check
> register. I keep telling her it's the same thing as posting a check
> except she has no check number. Her check book posting skills are
> somewhat lacking so she can't really blame it on her ATM card even
> though she tries.

Teach her how to bank online. They'll show her an image of the check
when it clears. They will even list all of her ATM transactions.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2010 7:53 AM, The Cook wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 14:41:39 -0700, "Steve B"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Dave > wrote in message
>> . ..

>>> I can buy his logic. If they are checking the stuff through they read
>>> the price tag or scan the code and times 6.
>>>
>>> To be perfectly honest, I like to be able to check out quickly when I have
>>> only one item, but it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense for a store
>>> to dedicate one or more cashiers and checkout counters to the customers
>>> buying the smallest amounts. Stores have to think about which customer
>>> deserves to have to wait longer, the one spending $2 or the one spending
>>> $200.

>> If I have five items, and they don't have an express register open, and I
>> have to wait behind three $200 purchases, I simply lay down my items and
>> walk. Apparently it makes sense that there are customers who are in a hurry
>> and want an express line, or there wouldn't be one. And if a store only had
>> regular lines and no express lines, they would find a lot of food sitting
>> around the front of the stores with no one in sight.
>>

> Depends on where you live. I live in a small town. The grocery store
> that we use the most has no express check out. If they are not busy
> and a checker is free, they will help bag at another line. If someone
> else shows up, they go back to their line. If the lines are getting
> long, there is a call for another checker. On really bad times, the
> manager is checking or bagging too. In other words, everyone works as
> a team to keep the things moving and the customers happy.
>
> Many of the stores in the general area have self check-out. If you
> only have a few items, it is quick.

Our supermarkets work mostly the same way Susan. I've seen managers and
assistant managers checking or sacking on many occasions. If I have only
a few items I go to the self check-our, the store I shop in has four of
those and it is seldom that all four are busy.

I hardly see anyone paying by check anymore or even with cash. Most are
using store issued credit cards or debit cards.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:

>I hardly see anyone paying by check anymore or even with cash. Most are
>using store issued credit cards or debit cards.

That's not even close to true, that's very misleading because about
half of US grocery shoppers pay with food stamps of one sort or
another.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 14:41:39 -0700, "Steve B"
> wrote:

>"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> On 11/10/2010 12:00 AM, Miche wrote:

>>> When I was a checkout chick my asshole father would come through my
>>> express lane with half a trolley full of groceries, but fewer than 13
>>> _types_ of things.
>>>
>>> He would insist that six loaves of bread was one item, "bread" being the
>>> item, etc.

>> I can buy his logic. If they are checking the stuff through they read
>> the price tag or scan the code and times 6.
>>
>> To be perfectly honest, I like to be able to check out quickly when I have
>> only one item, but it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense for a store
>> to dedicate one or more cashiers and checkout counters to the customers
>> buying the smallest amounts. Stores have to think about which customer
>> deserves to have to wait longer, the one spending $2 or the one spending
>> $200.

>If I have five items, and they don't have an express register open, and I
>have to wait behind three $200 purchases, I simply lay down my items and
>walk. Apparently it makes sense that there are customers who are in a hurry
>and want an express line, or there wouldn't be one. And if a store only had
>regular lines and no express lines, they would find a lot of food sitting
>around the front of the stores with no one in sight.

Depends on where you live. I live in a small town. The grocery store
that we use the most has no express check out. If they are not busy
and a checker is free, they will help bag at another line. If someone
else shows up, they go back to their line. If the lines are getting
long, there is a call for another checker. On really bad times, the
manager is checking or bagging too. In other words, everyone works as
a team to keep the things moving and the customers happy.

Many of the stores in the general area have self check-out. If you
only have a few items, it is quick.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-10-12, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> That's not even close to true, that's very misleading because about
> half of US grocery shoppers pay with food stamps of one sort or
> another.

Yes, it is true. CO has no such thing as "stamps". The state issues
a plastic card that looks and works jes like any credit card.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 13:05:59 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2010-10-12, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>> That's not even close to true, that's very misleading because about
>> half of US grocery shoppers pay with food stamps of one sort or
>> another.

>Yes, it is true. CO has no such thing as "stamps". The state issues
>a plastic card that looks and works jes like any credit card.

Not like any credit card, bet you can't use it to obtain a TV,n rent
an automobile, or book a cruise.

Monopoly money, plastic, whatever... still *stamp food*... and there
are dozens of programs, many are Federal, with all kinds of script.

http://www.educationmoney.com/nutrition.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
BlueBrooke > wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 13:13:40 -0700 (PDT), snoker wead
> > wrote:
>
> >On Oct 10, 11:05*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> >> I picked up to items at the grocery store and went to one of the three
> >> express checkout lines, and chose this one because there was only one
> >> person at it, and she was all rung up and in the process of paying. Five
> >> minutes later I was wondering if I should change lanes or stay there and
> >> witness the spectacle. I opted to stay because of the entertainment value.

[snip]

> >> I was tempted to say something but, despite her normal appearance, this
> >> woman was obviously not quite right. *When the woman finally left I
> >> congratulated the cashier for keeping her cool and told her that I
> >> figured that my total would be under $10 and I had $20 bill ready to pay.

> I guess you probably look "normal," too, and people have no idea what
> a jerk they're dealing with?
>
> >thats rather harsh of you isn't it?

> Considering the multitude of issues that could have been responsible
> for this situation, it is more than "harsh." This thread has been so
> hard to read.
>
> The admonition to treat others kindly, as you never know what they're
> dealing with, is good advice. Lots of people have come up with
> possible reasons why this lady was acting oddly. And there are even
> more possibilities than that.
>
> I guess if you're in that big a hurry to get out of a grocery store,
> and can't wait for someone ahead of you to deal with whatever it is
> they have to deal with, then it's only fitting that you take advantage
> of the incident and make fun of them as much as possible. And, while
> you're at it, it's probably a good idea to lump them in with anyone
> else who tends to get in your way as you go about your busy, important
> day.
>
> I don't think "harsh" quite describes it. Good start, though.

I think you are reading more into it than was there. Dave didn't say
anything at all while the woman was acting very oddly. He thanked (my
word, not his) the checker after the customer had left. He *did* tell
the story, which would be offensive to some. Dave does volunteer work,
and is generally a patient and kindly person, from what I can see from a
few thousand miles away.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 01:56:10 -0500, BlueBrooke
> wrote:

> I guess if you're in that big a hurry to get out of a grocery store,
> and can't wait for someone ahead of you to deal with whatever it is
> they have to deal with, then it's only fitting that you take advantage
> of the incident and make fun of them as much as possible. And, while
> you're at it, it's probably a good idea to lump them in with anyone
> else who tends to get in your way as you go about your busy, important
> day.
>
> I don't think "harsh" quite describes it. Good start, though.

Tagging on to your post to say my piece.

In threads like this, it always amazes me at how "precious" some
people consider their time. They seem to equate themselves with a
head of state or somebody equally important with the way they think
they should be sweeping in and out with store employees bowing and
scraping in their wake. Buy a clue the next time you're in any store.
Truly important people have employees to do their shopping - the rest
of us do it ourselves. If you were raised to think your time is so
important that you can't wait a minute or two while someone fumbles
with their money or checkbook and yet you're so poor that you can't
hire someone to shop for you, then you should be shopping online and
have your groceries delivered. Your blood pressure will thank you. I
will too.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 08:35:12 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

> I think you are reading more into it than was there. Dave didn't say
> anything at all while the woman was acting very oddly. He thanked (my
> word, not his) the checker after the customer had left. He *did* tell
> the story, which would be offensive to some. Dave does volunteer work,
> and is generally a patient and kindly person, from what I can see from a
> few thousand miles away.

I think BB was generalizing.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/10/2010 12:59 PM, sf wrote:

> In threads like this, it always amazes me at how "precious" some
> people consider their time. They seem to equate themselves with a
> head of state or somebody equally important with the way they think
> they should be sweeping in and out with store employees bowing and
> scraping in their wake. Buy a clue the next time you're in any store.
> Truly important people have employees to do their shopping - the rest
> of us do it ourselves. If you were raised to think your time is so
> important that you can't wait a minute or two while someone fumbles
> with their money or checkbook and yet you're so poor that you can't
> hire someone to shop for you, then you should be shopping online and
> have your groceries delivered. Your blood pressure will thank you. I
> will too.

Pay someone to do our shopping or accept that we are mere mortals and
deserve to be kept waiting by some moron who doesn't realize the they
are going to have to pay for their groceries just like they have had to
pay for them every other time? Baloney. I don't think that the person
who resents having their time wasted is any worse than the person who
figures that everyone else can wait for them while they bumble their way
through life.

Some people have a lot on their plate and they are truly pressed for
time, and it is not asking too much to have people prepared to deal with
simple domestic chores like paying for groceries. IMO The person
the issues of inflated sense of personal value is the one who figures
they can keep the rest of the world waiting.

And on a side not.... you have probably noticed that there are some
people who are always late. They are always keeping people waiting.
Some will actually defend themselves by asking "aren't i worth waiting
for?", to which I will answer "aren't I worth being on time for?".

BTW... I was the one who started this thread, and it was a30-40 year old
woman who took more than 5 minutes to dig out $11.86 worth of change
from her person 30-40 cents worth at a time. My blood pressure is under
control (now) and I had the option of going to another cashier, but I
was getting too much entertainment from it to leave.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/10/2010 2:56 AM, BlueBrooke wrote:

> Considering the multitude of issues that could have been responsible
> for this situation, it is more than "harsh." This thread has been so
> hard to read.
>
> The admonition to treat others kindly, as you never know what they're
> dealing with, is good advice. Lots of people have come up with
> possible reasons why this lady was acting oddly. And there are even
> more possibilities than that.
>
> I guess if you're in that big a hurry to get out of a grocery store,
> and can't wait for someone ahead of you to deal with whatever it is
> they have to deal with, then it's only fitting that you take advantage
> of the incident and make fun of them as much as possible. And, while
> you're at it, it's probably a good idea to lump them in with anyone
> else who tends to get in your way as you go about your busy, important
> day.
>
> I don't think "harsh" quite describes it. Good start, though.

Feeling a little defencive are we? Are you one of those people who
lives their life in a fog and just doesn't give a shit if there are a
bunch of people in line behind you that have better things to do that to
wait for you to learn how to cope with simple, everyday transactions?
People take time from the things they like to do or the things they need
to do for family and friends. Some of them may be taking time out from
work, school or something else that keeps them busy.

How do you defend someone who stands there and watches their groceries
being rung up and waits until the total is announced before they even
start to think about getting their money out.... and the long search
begins.

Screw that. They make themselves objects of ridicule.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> Feeling a little defencive are we? Are you one of those people who >
> lives their life in a fog and just doesn't give a shit if there are a >
> bunch of people in line behind you that have better things to do that to >
> wait for you to learn how to cope with simple, everyday transactions?
> People take time from the things they like to do or the things they need >
> to do for family and friends. Some of them may be taking time out from >
> work, school or something else that keeps them busy.
>
> How do you defend someone who stands there and watches their groceries >
> being rung up and waits until the total is announced before they even
> start to think about getting their money out.... and the long search >
> begins.
>
> Screw that. They make themselves objects of ridicule.

Word of advice: do not move to Europe. You would be said object.
You might throw yourseld on the ground and kick and scream when not only can
you usually not pay with a check but they don't sack your groceries, either.
That person who just bought euro 200 of groceries is now sacking them in
sacks brought from home and will pay in an intermission of sacking then
continue. Yjeu will be in your way and holding you up for a loooong time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 13:29:41 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 12/10/2010 12:59 PM, sf wrote:
>
> > In threads like this, it always amazes me at how "precious" some
> > people consider their time. They seem to equate themselves with a
> > head of state or somebody equally important with the way they think
> > they should be sweeping in and out with store employees bowing and
> > scraping in their wake. Buy a clue the next time you're in any store.
> > Truly important people have employees to do their shopping - the rest
> > of us do it ourselves. If you were raised to think your time is so
> > important that you can't wait a minute or two while someone fumbles
> > with their money or checkbook and yet you're so poor that you can't
> > hire someone to shop for you, then you should be shopping online and
> > have your groceries delivered. Your blood pressure will thank you. I
> > will too.

> Pay someone to do our shopping or accept that we are mere mortals and
> deserve to be kept waiting by some moron who doesn't realize the they
> are going to have to pay for their groceries just like they have had to
> pay for them every other time? Baloney. I don't think that the person
> who resents having their time wasted is any worse than the person who
> figures that everyone else can wait for them while they bumble their way
> through life.

*You* have the power to change *your* life. So if being behind
bumblers in the grocery store is such a bother, there are viable
options to shopping in the store.

> Some people have a lot on their plate and they are truly pressed for
> time, and it is not asking too much to have people prepared to deal with
> simple domestic chores like paying for groceries. IMO The person
> the issues of inflated sense of personal value is the one who figures
> they can keep the rest of the world waiting.

There are some people who are perpetually disorganized. Life goes on,
and it comes to a stop only if you allow it. Some people seem to get
a lot of enjoyment over kvetching about others. They should just get
on with whatever they planned to do or pencil the perpetually late out
of their social lives. It seems to me that those who complain the
most about those situations have nothing better to complain about, so
they continually put themselves into situations where they can spend
the next few days muttering about it.

> And on a side not.... you have probably noticed that there are some
> people who are always late. They are always keeping people waiting.
> Some will actually defend themselves by asking "aren't i worth waiting
> for?", to which I will answer "aren't I worth being on time for?".

You're only inconvenienced if you allow yourself to be. Why can't you
start doing whatever it was you wanted to do without the late person?
People who are habitually late usually don't want to be in whatever
that situation is anyway; so if you took off - it would be a great
opportunity for the late person to either go home or do something more
enjoyable. In the future, either the late person will learn to be on
time or learn to say no in the first place - which is probably what
they were wishing they'd said to begin with.

> BTW... I was the one who started this thread, and it was a 30-40 year old
> woman who took more than 5 minutes to dig out $11.86 worth of change
> from her person 30-40 cents worth at a time. My blood pressure is under
> control (now) and I had the option of going to another cashier, but I
> was getting too much entertainment from it to leave.

I know you were the OP and I thought you handled the situation
admirably.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 15:06:00 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 22:02:15 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> Not always true, though, nb. My 83-year-old sister has Alzheimer's
>>> and she is fully aware of her deficiencies and it pains her greatly.
>>> :-(

>> my impression is that the awareness of deficiencies is a factor only
>> in the early stages of alzheimer's.

> My fil had been doing the same story overandover thing for a few
> years at least before he finally admitted he needed a checkup from
> the neck up. He knew he was having trouble, obviously, and he'd
> been covering up as best he could. He'd make up stories why he
> got lost, things like that.
>
> nancy

it must be a horrible realization to come to.

meanwhile, the rest of us forget why we went into the living room and fret
that it's the beginning of the end.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 20:57:30 +0200, Giusi wrote:

> "blake murphy" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> And pray for compassionate others when it is.

>> it might be nice to be a 'compassionate other' now.

> I don't know that that can happen here. First we had hundreds of posts
> hating babies and now a thread hating old people, slow people, people with
> cognitive disorders and people who want to return faulty goods.

we run a tight ship.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 10:52:38 +1300, Miche wrote:

> In article >,
> Thufir Hawat > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 17:00:33 +1300, Miche wrote:
>>
>>> When I was a checkout chick my asshole father would come through my
>>> express lane with half a trolley full of groceries, but fewer than 13
>>> _types_ of things.
>>>
>>> He would insist that six loaves of bread was one item, "bread" being the
>>> item, etc.

>> It's from a movie, can't recall which one at the moment.

> No, it's from my life. This happened when I was a teenager and working
> in a supermarket.
>
> Miche

life imitates art once again!

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 14:41:39 -0700, Steve B wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> On 11/10/2010 12:00 AM, Miche wrote:

>>> When I was a checkout chick my asshole father would come through my
>>> express lane with half a trolley full of groceries, but fewer than 13
>>> _types_ of things.
>>>
>>> He would insist that six loaves of bread was one item, "bread" being the
>>> item, etc.

>> I can buy his logic. If they are checking the stuff through they read
>> the price tag or scan the code and times 6.
>>
>> To be perfectly honest, I like to be able to check out quickly when I have
>> only one item, but it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense for a store
>> to dedicate one or more cashiers and checkout counters to the customers
>> buying the smallest amounts. Stores have to think about which customer
>> deserves to have to wait longer, the one spending $2 or the one spending
>> $200.

> If I have five items, and they don't have an express register open, and I
> have to wait behind three $200 purchases, I simply lay down my items and
> walk. Apparently it makes sense that there are customers who are in a hurry
> and want an express line, or there wouldn't be one. And if a store only had
> regular lines and no express lines, they would find a lot of food sitting
> around the front of the stores with no one in sight.
>
> Steve

only if most of the customers are dicks like yourself.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 15:44:48 -0700, Steve B wrote:

> "Miche" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> Dave Smith > wrote:

>>> I can buy his logic. If they are checking the stuff through they read
>>> the price tag or scan the code and times 6.

>> No, he was being an asshole. Trust me on this.
>>
>> Miche

> Pardon me, but shouldn't that be MR. ASSHOLE, as he was helping pay the
> cashier's pay? What would she do if they decided to eliminate the express
> line?
>
> So, it's being an asshole to go into a business and leave some money, and
> expect them to be a little flexible on some of the "rules"?
>
> Color me asshole, then.

no prob.

blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 12:54:49 +1300, Miche wrote:

> In article >,
> "Steve B" > wrote:
>
>> "Miche" > wrote in message

>>> No, he was being an asshole. Trust me on this.

>> Pardon me, but shouldn't that be MR. ASSHOLE, as he was helping pay the
>> cashier's pay? What would she do if they decided to eliminate the express
>> line?

> I was the cashier.
>
> And I'd have been moved to another line, or given something else to do.
>
>> So, it's being an asshole to go into a business and leave some money, and
>> expect them to be a little flexible on some of the "rules"?
>>
>> Color me asshole, then. I think the old guy and I would have sat at the old
>> farts bench by the bathroom, and come up with lots of other ideas. I'd like
>> to meet the old gentleman.

> No you wouldn't. He really is an asshole.
>
> Miche

turds of a feather flock together.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 14:44:41 -0700, Steve B wrote:

> "nfw" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 15:00:10 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>>I once went to an express checkout with more than the maximum items and
>>>the cashier put up a stink. There was no one in front of or behind me in
>>>line and the other registers has long lines. What if someone shows up
>>>with 8 items? If she stopped arguing I would have been done. I see no
>>>reason for me to stand in line at a regular checkout while the express
>>>cashier stands around filing her nails waiting for someone who is
>>>spending a lot less money than I was.
>>>

>> People who take fiffteen items to a eight item express lane need to be
>> ushered back to elementary math, because they're obviously ignorant.

> Of course, unless it's YOU, and then it'd different, right?
>
> Same way with people who think I need to sit behind six carts of checkout
> goods for my seven over the limit purchase.
>
> Do the math. From the store's standpoint, that is.
>
> Or maybe they just should be quietly taken to the little produce backroom
> and beaten with a belt. After all, rules ARE rules.
>
> Steve

why is your time more valuable than anyone else's?

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 14:13:29 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

> meanwhile, the rest of us forget why we went into the living room and fret
> that it's the beginning of the end.

You too?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

BlueBrooke wrote:

> It seems to me that we've been programmed to believe that we're rushed
> and overscheduled. As I said in another post, what feels like an
> eternity is really only a few extra minutes, or even seconds. People
> can prove this to themselves by checking their watch next time they
> feel like tapping their feet. It really isn't that long, it just
> seems like it. This, too, will help with the blood pressure. :-)

I think that what irritates people the most is the perception that the
person at the head of the line is rather enjoying making the others
cool their jets. I've certainly seen my share of people who could
not care less what's going on in your life as they take their sweet
time getting their stuff done.

Me, I conduct my business as if the person behind me might need
to get where they are going. Or are feeling really awful and would
love to get home. Been there myself.

If that makes me a bad person, so be it.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> I think that what irritates people the most is the perception that the
> person at the head of the line is rather enjoying making the others
> cool their jets. I've certainly seen my share of people who could
> not care less what's going on in your life as they take their sweet
> time getting their stuff done.
> Me, I conduct my business as if the person behind me might need
> to get where they are going. Or are feeling really awful and would
> love to get home. Been there myself.
>
> If that makes me a bad person, so be it.

Well, I'm with you, Nancy!

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 15:03:37 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

> I think that what irritates people the most is the perception that the
> person at the head of the line is rather enjoying making the others
> cool their jets. I've certainly seen my share of people who could
> not care less what's going on in your life as they take their sweet
> time getting their stuff done.

I've never seen that attitude in a grocery store and I've been know to
shop in the "hood" from time to time. I see it a lot when people
"walk" across the street in front of your car. It's obvious what
they're doing, because it's a reeeealy slow pimp walk and they're
looking straight at you like they're daring you to go. They've sized
up the car and it reeks of paid up insurance. Be my guest, walk as
slow as you want. Nobody is dying... yet.

> Me, I conduct my business as if the person behind me might need
> to get where they are going. Or are feeling really awful and would
> love to get home. Been there myself.
>
> If that makes me a bad person, so be it.

May I call you St. Nancy?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 15:03:37 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:
>
>> I think that what irritates people the most is the perception that the
>> person at the head of the line is rather enjoying making the others
>> cool their jets. I've certainly seen my share of people who could
>> not care less what's going on in your life as they take their sweet
>> time getting their stuff done.

> I've never seen that attitude in a grocery store and I've been know to
> shop in the "hood" from time to time. I see it a lot when people
> "walk" across the street in front of your car. It's obvious what
> they're doing, because it's a reeeealy slow pimp walk and they're
> looking straight at you like they're daring you to go. They've sized
> up the car and it reeks of paid up insurance. Be my guest, walk as
> slow as you want. Nobody is dying... yet.
>>
>> Me, I conduct my business as if the person behind me might need
>> to get where they are going. Or are feeling really awful and would
>> love to get home. Been there myself.
>>
>> If that makes me a bad person, so be it.

> May I call you St. Nancy?

Why? It seems to me that your arguments are against her so why that?

If you are actually arguing against what she says.... you are not making
sense!

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/10/2010 1:56 PM, sf wrote:

>> Pay someone to do our shopping or accept that we are mere mortals and
>> deserve to be kept waiting by some moron who doesn't realize the they
>> are going to have to pay for their groceries just like they have had to
>> pay for them every other time? Baloney. I don't think that the person
>> who resents having their time wasted is any worse than the person who
>> figures that everyone else can wait for them while they bumble their way
>> through life.

> *You* have the power to change *your* life. So if being behind
> bumblers in the grocery store is such a bother, there are viable
> options to shopping in the store.

I use the power of scorn. Rather than pity myself for not being able to
afford to hire a personal assistant to do my shopping for me and thereby
insulate me from the idiocy of some of the general public, I opt to
endure my forays into the public and look down on such people with derision

>> And on a side not.... you have probably noticed that there are some
>> people who are always late. They are always keeping people waiting.
>> Some will actually defend themselves by asking "aren't i worth waiting
>> for?", to which I will answer "aren't I worth being on time for?".
>>

> You're only inconvenienced if you allow yourself to be. Why can't you
> start doing whatever it was you wanted to do without the late person?
> People who are habitually late usually don't want to be in whatever
> that situation is anyway; so if you took off - it would be a great
> opportunity for the late person to either go home or do something more
> enjoyable. In the future, either the late person will learn to be on
> time or learn to say no in the first place - which is probably what
> they were wishing they'd said to begin with.

I have had to deal with a couple of people who are always late and
holding up others and I can tell you from experience that if you go
ahead without them they get really angry.

One of those was a co-worker who came to work late every day. He put in
lots of extra time at the end of the day and more than made up for being
late, but sometimes we had to be places. We had to go to a meeting at
our head office in Toronto for an 8:30 meeting, and it was an 1 1/4
drive from the office in ideal circumstances, and 2/1/2 hours in rush
hour. We knew that we could leave our office at 5:45 am and beat the
rush hour and have time for breakfast when we got there. We told Andy
that we leaving at 5:45 if he wanted to come with us. He did. Knowing he
was always late we stressed that we were leaving at 5:45.

He wasn't there at 5:45. We left without him. We were in a restaurant
across the street having breakfast at 7:30. He showed up late for the
meeting and he was furious at us for not waiting. He told him we had
said 5:45 but he wasn't there. He insisted that we should have waited
for him. For how long? When pressed, he admitted that he showed up at
6:10. We had left early enough to beat the rush hour crunch and he left
in time to hit it. If we had waited for him we would all have been late
for an important meeting. As it turned out, the only one who was late
was the one who would have made us all late.

Another is a sister in law. I went on a trip to Europe with my brothers
and SiL was always late. On travel days she was never ready to go and we
ended up leaving late, getting to places late. On rest days she wanted
to sit around the hotel all morning and expected us to stay with her,
or perhaps go out for a while in the morning and then come back and
wait. She made us late for things and wasted a hell of a lot of our time.

One day we got fed up. He had already wasted a day in Paris because of
her. We changed hotels. We wanted to stash our bags in our rooms and go
for a walk. She asked us to give wait for an hour because she had to
have a bath.... after having stayed in her hotel room for the previous
24 hours). We agreed, actually gave her an hour and a quarter, agreeing
to meet in the lobby at 4 o'clock.

She didn't show up. We waited. Finally, at 4:45, we went out with out
her. As it turned out, she didn't just have a bath. She had had a nap
and a bath. I happened to run into her coming out of her room at 6:30
and she asked where the others were. When I told her they were probably
out for a walk she went ballistic. "They were supposed to wait for
me!!!!". Yeah... and she was supposed to meet them 2-1/2 hours earlier.
She was so angry she wouldn't go out for dinner with us.

After we got home I overheard her whining to someone about how we had
all left her behind at the hotel in Paris. We were supposed to go for a
walk together but when she went to the lobby we had already gone without
her. She was just an innocent victim and it was all our fault.

That's the kind of attitude that the chronically late have and that is
how they twist reality so that it is someone else's fault.

> I know you were the OP and I thought you handled the situation
> admirably.

TY.... and I admit that I found it hard not to laugh.
I would have been more patient if she had looked really old and
decrepit, or if she was obviously mentally challenged. She was actually
a very nice looking woman and well dressed. The behaviour was totally
out of place.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>> I think that what irritates people the most is the perception that
>> the person at the head of the line is rather enjoying making the
>> others cool their jets. I've certainly seen my share of people who
>> could not care less what's going on in your life as they take their
>> sweet time getting their stuff done.
>> Me, I conduct my business as if the person behind me might need
>> to get where they are going. Or are feeling really awful and would
>> love to get home. Been there myself.
>>
>> If that makes me a bad person, so be it.

> Well, I'm with you, Nancy!

Thank you, Ophelia!

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/10/2010 2:27 PM, BlueBrooke wrote:

>> How do you defend someone who stands there and watches their groceries
>> being rung up and waits until the total is announced before they even
>> start to think about getting their money out.... and the long search
>> begins.
>>
>> Screw that. They make themselves objects of ridicule.

> Wow. Ridicule? This is *that* important to you?
>
> I'd really hate to see how you handle actual potentially
> life-threatening situations if having to wait in line while someone
> pays for groceries gets you this worked up.

You'd like to see how I handle potentially life threatening situations?
You may not agree, but I bet that I would stand a better chance than
someone who watches their purchases being rung up at the checkout
counter and then stands there with a blank look on my face before
starting to think about where my money might be.

Believe it or not, I do have some faith in the human race and I prefer
to stand in a check out line with a bunch of guys who are standing there
with cash or bank cards in hand. It reinforces my belief that the
species will survive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 12/10/2010 2:56 AM, BlueBrooke wrote:
>
>> Considering the multitude of issues that could have been
>> responsible
>> for this situation, it is more than "harsh." This thread has been
>> so
>> hard to read.
>>
>> The admonition to treat others kindly, as you never know what
>> they're
>> dealing with, is good advice. Lots of people have come up with
>> possible reasons why this lady was acting oddly. And there are
>> even
>> more possibilities than that.
>>
>> I guess if you're in that big a hurry to get out of a grocery
>> store,
>> and can't wait for someone ahead of you to deal with whatever it is
>> they have to deal with, then it's only fitting that you take
>> advantage of the incident and make fun of them as much as possible.
>> And, while you're at it, it's probably a good idea to lump them in
>> with anyone else who tends to get in your way as you go about your
>> busy, important day.
>>
>> I don't think "harsh" quite describes it. Good start, though.

> Feeling a little defencive are we? Are you one of those people who
> lives their life in a fog and just doesn't give a shit if there are
> bunch of people in line behind you that have better things to do
> that
> to wait for you to learn how to cope with simple, everyday
> transactions? People take time from the things they like to do or
> the
> things they need to do for family and friends. Some of them may be
> taking time out from work, school or something else that keeps them
> busy.
> How do you defend someone who stands there and watches their
> groceries
> being rung up and waits until the total is announced before they
> even
> start to think about getting their money out.... and the long search
> begins.
>
> Screw that. They make themselves objects of ridicule.

Happiness is a debit card. I run it through while they're checking my
groceries then hit the OK when the unit gives me the total. Joy to
the world.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dora" > wrote in message
> Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 12/10/2010 2:56 AM, BlueBrooke wrote:
>>
>>> Considering the multitude of issues that could have been responsible
>>> for this situation, it is more than "harsh." This thread has been so
>>> hard to read.
>>>
>>> The admonition to treat others kindly, as you never know what they're
>>> dealing with, is good advice. Lots of people have come up with
>>> possible reasons why this lady was acting oddly. And there are even
>>> more possibilities than that.
>>>
>>> I guess if you're in that big a hurry to get out of a grocery store,
>>> and can't wait for someone ahead of you to deal with whatever it is
>>> they have to deal with, then it's only fitting that you take
>>> advantage of the incident and make fun of them as much as possible. And,
>>> while you're at it, it's probably a good idea to lump them in
>>> with anyone else who tends to get in your way as you go about your
>>> busy, important day.
>>>
>>> I don't think "harsh" quite describes it. Good start, though.

>> Feeling a little defencive are we? Are you one of those people who
>> lives their life in a fog and just doesn't give a shit if there are a
>> bunch of people in line behind you that have better things to do that
>> to wait for you to learn how to cope with simple, everyday
>> transactions? People take time from the things they like to do or the
>> things they need to do for family and friends. Some of them may be
>> taking time out from work, school or something else that keeps them
>> busy.
>> How do you defend someone who stands there and watches their groceries
>> being rung up and waits until the total is announced before they even
>> start to think about getting their money out.... and the long search
>> begins.
>>
>> Screw that. They make themselves objects of ridicule.

> Happiness is a debit card. I run it through while they're checking my
> groceries then hit the OK when the unit gives me the total. Joy to the
> world.

Joy to the world indeed My favourite Christmas song)

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> BlueBrooke wrote:
>
>> It seems to me that we've been programmed to believe that we're
>> rushed and overscheduled. As I said in another post, what feels
>> like an eternity is really only a few extra minutes, or even
>> seconds. People can prove this to themselves by checking their
>> watch next time they feel like tapping their feet. It really isn't
>> that long, it just seems like it. This, too, will help with the
>> blood pressure. :-)

> I think that what irritates people the most is the perception that
> the
> person at the head of the line is rather enjoying making the others
> cool their jets. I've certainly seen my share of people who could
> not care less what's going on in your life as they take their sweet
> time getting their stuff done.
>
> Me, I conduct my business as if the person behind me might need
> to get where they are going. Or are feeling really awful and would
> love to get home. Been there myself.
>
> If that makes me a bad person, so be it.
>
> nancy

I'm with you, Nancy. Plus, if I have a lot of groceries it doesn't
bother me in the least to let the person behind me go ahead of me if
he/she only has a few items. Easy to say, "Is that all you have?".
Been there myself.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dora" > wrote in message
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> BlueBrooke wrote:
>>
>>> It seems to me that we've been programmed to believe that we're
>>> rushed and overscheduled. As I said in another post, what feels
>>> like an eternity is really only a few extra minutes, or even
>>> seconds. People can prove this to themselves by checking their
>>> watch next time they feel like tapping their feet. It really isn't
>>> that long, it just seems like it. This, too, will help with the
>>> blood pressure. :-)

>> I think that what irritates people the most is the perception that the
>> person at the head of the line is rather enjoying making the others
>> cool their jets. I've certainly seen my share of people who could
>> not care less what's going on in your life as they take their sweet
>> time getting their stuff done.
>>
>> Me, I conduct my business as if the person behind me might need
>> to get where they are going. Or are feeling really awful and would
>> love to get home. Been there myself.
>>
>> If that makes me a bad person, so be it.
>>
>> nancy

> I'm with you, Nancy. Plus, if I have a lot of groceries it doesn't bother
> me in the least to let the person behind me go ahead of me if he/she only
> has a few items. Easy to say, "Is that all you have?". Been there myself.

As do I, Dora

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 16:09:12 -0400, "Dora" >
arranged random neurons and said:

>Happiness is a debit card. I run it through while they're checking my
>groceries then hit the OK when the unit gives me the total. Joy to
>the world.

This cautions about using debit cards for things such as groceries,
but wouldn't a credit/debit card reader make credit cards just as
vulnerable?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmLftggmf94

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 15:59:44 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> That's the kind of attitude that the chronically late have and that is
> how they twist reality so that it is someone else's fault.

I think all of those people have been catered to far too long and you
did what was right.

> > I know you were the OP and I thought you handled the situation
> > admirably.

> TY.... and I admit that I found it hard not to laugh.
> I would have been more patient if she had looked really old and
> decrepit, or if she was obviously mentally challenged. She was actually
> a very nice looking woman and well dressed. The behaviour was totally
> out of place.

So you could deduct there was a problem and you tolerated the
situation for two extra minutes... unlike many posters here or in a
certain local ng where there are equally entitled people who think
they are perfect and the rest of the world should run as they decree.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dora wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:

>> Me, I conduct my business as if the person behind me might need
>> to get where they are going. Or are feeling really awful and would
>> love to get home. Been there myself.
>>
>> If that makes me a bad person, so be it.

> I'm with you, Nancy. Plus, if I have a lot of groceries it doesn't
> bother me in the least to let the person behind me go ahead of me if
> he/she only has a few items. Easy to say, "Is that all you have?".
> Been there myself.

Definitely, and people have done the same for me many times.
Despite bitching about the occasional person who thinks the
world evolves around them, or just are otherwise annoying, the
vast majority of people I share the store lines with are just fine
and we all get along swimmingly.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/10/2010 4:45 PM, sf wrote:

>> TY.... and I admit that I found it hard not to laugh.
>> I would have been more patient if she had looked really old and
>> decrepit, or if she was obviously mentally challenged. She was actually
>> a very nice looking woman and well dressed. The behaviour was totally
>> out of place.

> So you could deduct there was a problem and you tolerated the
> situation for two extra minutes..

No no. This went on for about 5 minutes. She would reach into her purse
and fumble around and pull out a dozen or so coins and put them on the
counter. Then the cashier would have to sort them out, count them, tell
her again that it is not enoug, how much more she needs. Then she would
rech in and rummage around for more change and pull out another bunch of
small change. It was more than just two minutes. It was going on and on
and on. And the whole situation was just too bizarre.

> unlike many posters here or in a
> certain local ng where there are equally entitled people who think
> they are perfect and the rest of the world should run as they decree.

Actually, I agree with some of them. I don't have much patience for
people who wander around in public without a clue. If you are buying
groceries you are going to have to pay for them at some point. Have you
money at hand and be ready to pay. Don't stand around day dreaming and
wait until the cashier comes up with a total and then start a long slow
process of looking for your money. The people have better things to do
that to stand around waiting while you sort through your confusion.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> First thing for me 7:00AM in and out. You'd be surprised just how many
> are there at that time.

But I digress ................

I grew up in Las Vegas. On Convention Center Drive, a block off the Strip,
there was Mayfair Market. It was open 24 hours. From midnight to 6 AM, it
was amazing to walk the aisles. Showgirls, some in costume because they had
to rush back to another show. Celebrities. Girls from the shows in pancake
makeup, LOOOOOOOONG eyelashes, big hair.

All in there doing the common denominator, getting some shopping done. And
maybe max six or eight people in the whole store at any one time.

Ah, I love my old memories of Old Las Vegas.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>Happiness is a debit card. I run it through while they're checking my
>>groceries then hit the OK when the unit gives me the total. Joy to
>>the world.

And the oblivious bliss of the fees associated with such transactions. I'll
bet you have no clue as to how much in fees you have paid in the last year.
Am I correct? How much?

Steve