Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The checkout line idiot

dsi1 wrote:

> Multiple numbers of the same items are considered a single item - unless
> it's being bought by the idiot in front of you in the checkout line.

BINGO! It's one of the mysteries of the Universe, solved.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 11:48:37 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > arranged random neurons and said:

>> Same here. I'm leary of lines that are suspiciously shorter than
>> they should be, why isn't anyone getting in that line?

> <snip>
>
> Not necessarily, Nancy. Bill was a bank teller for BofA when he was
> working his was through undergrad school. This was back when there
> wasn't one general line and you went to the first available teller,
> but each teller had a line form in front of him/her. There could be 10
> people in the bank and no one in front of Bill's teller counter. He
> looks a bit like Richard Burton (the explorer, not the actor) and his
> resting expression isn't exactly fierce, but it's been known to induce
> the lawyer on the other side to settle <g> Bill's moustache isn't as
> big, but go here for a photo of Richard Burton and you'll see why:
>
> http://www.roadjunky.com/article/723...reat-travelers

(laugh) Don't go to him, he'll yell at me about my deposit slip.
Or worse. It's probably because of the hat.

Just kidding, but it's kind of funny to watch how people act in
situations like that.

> OB: Made French toast for Bill and #1 granddaughter this morning.
> Since I started homeschooling her in August, she says she's gained 5
> pounds (which she can use - skinny little thing). She has breakfast
> and lunch here everyday which is fun for both of us.

I somehow missed the homeschooling situation but I hope you're
having fun with it.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> OB: The Coeurs A La Creme With Raspberry Sauce were lovely and light,
> but the raspberry sauce was a little weak. I think next time, I'll
> include some raspberry jam to "muscle" it up a bit.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

Do you have Penzey's "Raspberry Enlightment" (I think thats what it's
called.)

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 9:23*am, Dave Smith > wrote:

> You're right. It isn't fair to tar all seniors with the same brush.
> Never the less, some of us find it frustrating to have our tie wasted.
> It is not always old ladies who do it, but it most often is. The stand
> there idly while their purchases are being rung up. They must know that
> they are going to have to pay when it is totalled. *You would think that
> they had some idea of how much it was going to cost and to be ready to
> pay. But no. They wait until the cashier tells them the total. Then
> they start looking through their purse for their wallet. Then they have
> to look through their wallet for the cash. *Then they dig through their
> change purse to try to get the exact cash.

There are good safety reasons for not digging out one's wallet till
the bill has been rung up. My father once had to go to Brooklyn on
business. Hungry, he stopped at a nearby McDonalds. A guy in front of
him already had a $20 out, because, obviously, he knew he would have
to pay and he knew a $20 would be sufficient.

Then, a Disaffected Urban Youth (DUY) ran into the restaurant, grabbed
the $20 out of the guy's hand, and ran back out, leaving the patrons
with a slackjawed "what just happened here?" look.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 8:18*am, "Catmandy (Sheryl)" >
wrote:
> On Oct 11, 1:18*am, itsjoannotjoann > wrote:
>
> > On Oct 10, 11:01*pm, Roy > wrote:

> > > Turkeyneck, don't judge all old people the same way. I have my check
> > > ready for the cashier ALWAYS and they appreciate it.

> > It's not always the elderly who wait until every item is rung up and
> > bagged before they even begin to dig out their checkbooks. *I see
> > plenty of 30 and 40 somethings do this. *They *know* they are going to
> > pay by check why not at least have the date and store name already
> > written on the check??

> Do people still use checks at the supermarket? *I have one friend, god
> bless him, who refuses to embrace technology and writes checks at the
> supermarket (his wife uses the Visa check card attached to the
> account). It limits his shopping options, as he can only go to markets
> where he has been pre-approved to write checks.

Preapproval? I can still write checks for the exact amount of purchase
anywhere I go. I don't have to make a detour to the ATM, and I don't
have to pay any debit card fees. Further, I can keep a running
estimate of my bank balance so I know approximately how much I have
before I write a check.

Reminds me that I was standing behind a 20-something chick whose bank
account couldn't cover the $37.60 that her purchases cost, and she was
simultaneously arguing the bank had made a mistake, and trying to
figure out what items to leave behind.

A manager had to be summoned and we all just groaned.

> Anyway, most people I know just use their ATM card for purchases at
> supermarkets and drug stores. It comes right out of their checking
> account, same as if you wrote a check, but it's much faster at the
> checkout line. Nowadays, I only use my checkbook for copays at the
> doctor's office, and to pay my landlady. Most other bills are paid
> online.

Debit card users are often assessed fees, and ATM card scanners away
from banks are subject to a variety of scams, such as cameras
recording your entering your PIN number. The computer you use to pay
bills online may be infected with a keylogger. Checkwriting is far
more secure.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/10/2010 1:20 PM, gloria.p wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 10/10/2010 5:58 PM, gloria.p wrote:
>>>

>>> Could she have been a foreigner, unfamiliar with the currency?
>>>

>> She had the $11.86 in Canadian money, so she must have been here long
>> enough to collect that much change and figure it out.

> IME when you are in a foreign country the bills with the numbers on them
> are easy to calculate. The coins, which are all different sizes and
> relative proportions from your own country's coins, are a PITA to
> remember when you are flustered.

Good luck making excuses for her. This is not a tourist town. That is a
hell of a lot of coins. She just kept reaching into different sections
of her purse and pulling out a dozen or so coins at a time and dumping
them next to or on top of the coins that the cashier has already sorted
out and counted.

Having been a tourist in a countries that use coins different from ours,
I am used to the idea of holding out a handful of coins and having the
cashier pick out the appropriate number of coins, but that's usually for
small items.

My vote is that she was just plain nuts, which is why I didn't dare say
anything. I could have switched lines, but this was one weird episode
that had some comedic value.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/10/2010 2:00 PM, spamtrap1888 wrote:

>> they are going to have to pay when it is totalled. You would think that
>> they had some idea of how much it was going to cost and to be ready to
>> pay. But no. They wait until the cashier tells them the total. Then
>> they start looking through their purse for their wallet. Then they have
>> to look through their wallet for the cash. Then they dig through their
>> change purse to try to get the exact cash.
>>

> There are good safety reasons for not digging out one's wallet till
> the bill has been rung up. My father once had to go to Brooklyn on
> business. Hungry, he stopped at a nearby McDonalds. A guy in front of
> him already had a $20 out, because, obviously, he knew he would have
> to pay and he knew a $20 would be sufficient.
>
> Then, a Disaffected Urban Youth (DUY) ran into the restaurant, grabbed
> the $20 out of the guy's hand, and ran back out, leaving the patrons
> with a slackjawed "what just happened here?" look.

Okay. If you say so. But that doesn't explain the deer in the headlights
look when the cashier announces the total. If they are so paranoid about
not wanting their money out in the fresh air and ready to pay, they
could at least have some idea of where in their purse the wallet is.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 08:19:46 -0700, Steve B wrote:

> My favorite experience was when I had ten or fifteen small items, and went
> to the 8 or less line. Or something along that line. All the other lines
> were a mile long, and t wasn't like I had 50 or 60 items. The cashier made
> some snippy remark, so I just said, "I'll just go over to the other line,
> and walked over there leaving my items. I could see the manager go over to
> the express line, and talk to the cashier. He came over to me, and asked
> would I like to return to the express line. I said yes, and apologized for
> being a few precious items over the sacred limit, and that all the other
> lines had a huge waiting queue, so it was go there, or just leave my basket
> and go home. I told him that the clerk was just plain rude. She silently
> rang me up, and within a month, I noticed she was no longer there.
>
> Steve

ah, another glorious story about steve being a prick.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 17:37:05 -0700, Steve B wrote:

> "Hollywood®Boy" <"manny or > wrote in message
>> sf wrote:
>>: On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 08:19:46 -0700, "Steve B"
>>: > wrote:
>>:
>>:: My favorite experience was when I had ten or fifteen small items,
>>:: and went to the 8 or less line. Or something along that line. All
>>:: the other lines were a mile long, and t wasn't like I had 50 or 60
>>:: items. The cashier made some snippy remark, so I just said, "I'll
>>:: just go over to the other line, and walked over there leaving my
>>:: items. I could see the manager go over to the express line, and
>>:: talk to the cashier. He came over to me, and asked would I like to
>>:: return to the express line. I said yes, and apologized for being a
>>:: few precious items over the sacred limit, and that all the other
>>:: lines had a huge waiting queue, so it was go there, or just leave my
>>:: basket and go home. I told him that the clerk was just plain rude.
>>:: She silently rang me up, and within a month, I noticed she was no
>>:: longer there.
>>:
>>: How odd! Usually express line checkers pull people like you over to
>>: their register when they aren't busy. Being a checker is hard work
>>: and diplomacy - she wasn't cut out for the job - for sure.
>>
>> How odd, that you would back up some fool trying to get past polite
>> suggestions at a place of business. Customers are not god, including
>> myself. We should speak up when guarantee's are not met, or products are
>> not whole. This fool just happened to serendipity draw his own straw, and
>> that is rude. If this is a larger chain, this checker just could have
>> gone
>> to another store. I don't think hilarity in believing one lost their job
>> is
>> evidence of the truth in a reenactment.

> Say what? She said I should be in the other line, so I went there. I do
> not know the reason she was not there a month later. With the Clerks Union,
> I surely know it was not from anything she did on the job.
>
> Steve

she should have slapped your face.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 11:48:37 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > arranged random neurons and said:

> >Same here. I'm leary of lines that are suspiciously shorter than
> >they should be, why isn't anyone getting in that line?

Yeah, short lines are an indication of trouble. At the drugstore I shop
at, I also watch for customers clutching a receipt. They often have a
return. No fault of the customer or checker, but there are TWO forms
the checker has to fill out, then they have to ring it up, and then
summon a manager (who is always not available right away) to bless it.
Then, almost nobody just returns stuff, they either are buying a
replacement, or they have waited until they need something there. So
that has to be rung up also.

> Not necessarily, Nancy. Bill was a bank teller for BofA when he was
> working his was through undergrad school. This was back when there
> wasn't one general line and you went to the first available teller,
> but each teller had a line form in front of him/her. There could be 10
> people in the bank and no one in front of Bill's teller counter.

I don't think Bill is that old, but I took a class in banking from a
real old guy. He started as a teller at a very large branch (Bank of
America). The customers were divided by alphabet, and he had customers
whose last names started with A or B. He actually had the customer's
ledger card at his station. He, and only he, knew what the customer's
actual balance was at that moment in time.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 22:02:15 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> notbob > wrote:
>
>> On 2010-10-10, Mark Thorson > wrote:
>>
>>> The afflicted are largely oblivious to their state.

>> You have no idea! :\
>>
>> nb

> Not always true, though, nb. My 83-year-old sister has Alzheimer's and
> she is fully aware of her deficiencies and it pains her greatly. :-(

my impression is that the awareness of deficiencies is a factor only in the
early stages of alzheimer's.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 21:57:41 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> notbob > wrote:
>> the cashier. Such is case with far too many older ppl. Be grateful
>> it's not you.
>>
>> nb

> And pray for compassionate others when it is.

it might be nice to be a 'compassionate other' now.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 14:44:41 -0500, Peaches wrote:

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>>

>> Yep. I never get behind an older person. They always want to talk
>> endlessly to the cashier. They will wait until everything is bagged up
>> before they even begin to reach for their checkbooks. Then they take
>> forever to write the check and just before writing the dollar amount they
>> ask for something to be put back. Then they say "I changed my mind, I
>> want the low fat milk instead" and then there is always something else.
>> It can take a long time to get one of them through. It's all for
>> attention I am sure.
>>

> Oh, yeah, we do that ( older people like me) just to get under your skin. We
> have all the time in the world, now that we have no usefullness in society.
>
> Oh and to top it off, I use the dreaded COUPONS!! How dare I???!!
>
>> I also never shop during the first few days of the month during the day as
>> all the welfare recipients are their cashing their checks and fumbling
>> with food stamps that seem to require 2 clerks and a manager to process.
>>
>> I shop at night, usually after 11:00pm. Usually I can escape relatively
>> unscathed.
>>
>> Paul
>>

> Welcome to it, that way you don't have to put up with the riff raff that
> seems to bother you enough to post it here...

you tell him, granny.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > ha scritto nel messaggio
Melba's Jammin' wrote:

notbob > wrote:
>>> the cashier. Such is case with far too many older ppl. Be grateful
>>> it's not you.
>>>
>>> nb

>> And pray for compassionate others when it is.

> it might be nice to be a 'compassionate other' now.

I don't know that that can happen here. First we had hundreds of posts
hating babies and now a thread hating old people, slow people, people with
cognitive disorders and people who want to return faulty goods.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 22:02:15 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>> Not always true, though, nb. My 83-year-old sister has Alzheimer's
>> and she is fully aware of her deficiencies and it pains her greatly.
>> :-(

> my impression is that the awareness of deficiencies is a factor only
> in the early stages of alzheimer's.

My fil had been doing the same story overandover thing for a few
years at least before he finally admitted he needed a checkup from
the neck up. He knew he was having trouble, obviously, and he'd
been covering up as best he could. He'd make up stories why he
got lost, things like that.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 09:54:41 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

> OB: The Coeurs A La Creme With Raspberry Sauce were lovely and light,
> but the raspberry sauce was a little weak. I think next time, I'll
> include some raspberry jam to "muscle" it up a bit.

How did you eat it, with a spoon or spread on something?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
: On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 19:03:08 -0700, sf > arranged
: random neurons and said:
:
:: Hollywood boy needs to improve his English skills before he trolls
:: again (or stop trolling while under the influence), because there was
:: no common sense to his reply. His use of the word "hilarity" as if
:: you or I were laughing about someone losing their job was completely
:: off base and "serendipity" or "drawing your own straw" is not an act
:: of rudeness.
:
: He also used a reflexive pronoun and a possessive apostrophe
: incorrectly, a comma thrown in for no good reason and that last
: sentence just confounds me. Persuasive argument is not helped by
: mangling the English language.

<BWAHAHA> It is best to shut the **** up, fool. Apparently you can not
read conversational "English". Oh, oh. Wait, wait. Let me help you pull
that stick out of your ass.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
: On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 17:37:05 -0700, Steve B wrote:
:
:: "Hollywood®Boy" <"manny or > wrote in message
:: ...
::: sf wrote:
:::: On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 08:19:46 -0700, "Steve B"
:::: > wrote:
::::
[...]
:::
::: How odd, that you would back up some fool trying to get past polite
::: suggestions at a place of business. Customers are not god,
::: including myself. We should speak up when guarantee's are not met,
::: or products are not whole. This fool just happened to serendipity
::: draw his own straw, and that is rude. If this is a larger chain,
::: this checker just could have gone
::: to another store. I don't think hilarity in believing one lost
::: their job is
::: evidence of the truth in a reenactment.
::
:: Say what? She said I should be in the other line, so I went there.
:: I do not know the reason she was not there a month later. With the
:: Clerks Union, I surely know it was not from anything she did on the
:: job.
::
:: Steve
:
: she should have slapped your face.
:
: blake

Ding!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 20:57:30 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> I don't know that that can happen here. First we had hundreds of posts
> hating babies and now a thread hating old people, slow people, people with
> cognitive disorders and people who want to return faulty goods.

There's no shortage of people to bash because everyone is perfect
here... didn't you get the memo?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 22:19:21 -0700 (PDT), itsjoannotjoann
> wrote:

> On Oct 10, 11:09*pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 23:18:11 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> >
> > > wrote:
> > > Actually most grocery stores around here have a little hand held widget
> > > that you can use to keep a running tally, and when you get to the
> > > checkout the checker can just read the gadget rather than making you
> > > unload the cart so she can scan every item.

> > No store around here does that. *If that widget not only scans the
> > price, but shows it as well - I wish it would move West.
> >

> None of the stores around here either have it but I have heard of it.
> No telling when it will get here.

Don't know about you, but I've only heard about it here in rfc.
Haven't read about it in the newspaper, seen it on the 6 o'clock news
or heard about it from a friend. I'm beginning to think it's a myth
perpetrated by those who are into one upmanship on the net.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 22:18:14 -0700 (PDT), itsjoannotjoann
> wrote:

> It's not always the elderly who wait until every item is rung up and
> bagged before they even begin to dig out their checkbooks. I see
> plenty of 30 and 40 somethings do this. They *know* they are going to
> pay by check why not at least have the date and store name already
> written on the check??

Because they're used to the stores that print all the information on
the check and all they need to do is sign it?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 17:00:33 +1300, Miche wrote:

> When I was a checkout chick my asshole father would come through my
> express lane with half a trolley full of groceries, but fewer than 13
> _types_ of things.
>
> He would insist that six loaves of bread was one item, "bread" being the
> item, etc.

It's from a movie, can't recall which one at the moment.

-Thufir

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-10-11, sf > wrote:

> There's no shortage of people to bash because everyone is perfect
> here... didn't you get the memo?

Didn't need one. I'm perfect!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/10/2010 12:00 AM, Miche wrote:
> In >,
> "Steve > wrote:
>
>> A lot of times I say, "Is that six pack considered one item or six?"

> When I was a checkout chick my asshole father would come through my
> express lane with half a trolley full of groceries, but fewer than 13
> _types_ of things.
>
> He would insist that six loaves of bread was one item, "bread" being the
> item, etc.

I can buy his logic. If they are checking the stuff through they read
the price tag or scan the code and times 6.

To be perfectly honest, I like to be able to check out quickly when I
have only one item, but it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense for
a store to dedicate one or more cashiers and checkout counters to the
customers buying the smallest amounts. Stores have to think about which
customer deserves to have to wait longer, the one spending $2 or the one
spending $200.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
nfw nfw is offline

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 15:00:10 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 10/10/2010 12:23 PM, sf wrote:
>
>>> would I like to return to the express line. I said yes, and apologized for
>>> being a few precious items over the sacred limit, and that all the other
>>> lines had a huge waiting queue, so it was go there, or just leave my basket
>>> and go home. I told him that the clerk was just plain rude. She silently
>>> rang me up, and within a month, I noticed she was no longer there.

>> How odd! Usually express line checkers pull people like you over to
>> their register when they aren't busy. Being a checker is hard work
>> and diplomacy - she wasn't cut out for the job - for sure.

>I once went to an express checkout with more than the maximum items and
>the cashier put up a stink. There was no one in front of or behind me in
>line and the other registers has long lines. What if someone shows up
>with 8 items? If she stopped arguing I would have been done. I see no
>reason for me to stand in line at a regular checkout while the express
>cashier stands around filing her nails waiting for someone who is
>spending a lot less money than I was.

People who take fiffteen items to a eight item express lane need to be
ushered back to elementary math, because they're obviously ignorant.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> > Not always true, though, nb. My 83-year-old sister has Alzheimer's and
> > she is fully aware of her deficiencies and it pains her greatly. :-(

> my impression is that the awareness of deficiencies is a factor only in the
> early stages of alzheimer's.
>
> your pal,
> blake

I'd believe that. She's still in her own home, still functioning
(mostly). :-(

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 16:25:26 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

> In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>
> > > Not always true, though, nb. My 83-year-old sister has Alzheimer's and
> > > she is fully aware of her deficiencies and it pains her greatly. :-(

> > my impression is that the awareness of deficiencies is a factor only in the
> > early stages of alzheimer's.
> >
> > your pal,
> > blake

> I'd believe that. She's still in her own home, still functioning
> (mostly). :-(

Does she have a plan B so her kids won't feel guilty when they have to
put her into a care facility?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
. ..
> On 11/10/2010 12:00 AM, Miche wrote:
>> In >,
>> "Steve > wrote:
>>
>>> A lot of times I say, "Is that six pack considered one item or six?"

>> When I was a checkout chick my asshole father would come through my
>> express lane with half a trolley full of groceries, but fewer than 13
>> _types_ of things.
>>
>> He would insist that six loaves of bread was one item, "bread" being the
>> item, etc.

> I can buy his logic. If they are checking the stuff through they read
> the price tag or scan the code and times 6.
>
> To be perfectly honest, I like to be able to check out quickly when I have
> only one item, but it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense for a store
> to dedicate one or more cashiers and checkout counters to the customers
> buying the smallest amounts. Stores have to think about which customer
> deserves to have to wait longer, the one spending $2 or the one spending
> $200.

If I have five items, and they don't have an express register open, and I
have to wait behind three $200 purchases, I simply lay down my items and
walk. Apparently it makes sense that there are customers who are in a hurry
and want an express line, or there wouldn't be one. And if a store only had
regular lines and no express lines, they would find a lot of food sitting
around the front of the stores with no one in sight.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"nfw" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 15:00:10 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> How odd! Usually express line checkers pull people like you over to
>>> their register when they aren't busy. Being a checker is hard work
>>> and diplomacy - she wasn't cut out for the job - for sure.

>>I once went to an express checkout with more than the maximum items and
>>the cashier put up a stink. There was no one in front of or behind me in
>>line and the other registers has long lines. What if someone shows up
>>with 8 items? If she stopped arguing I would have been done. I see no
>>reason for me to stand in line at a regular checkout while the express
>>cashier stands around filing her nails waiting for someone who is
>>spending a lot less money than I was.
>>

> People who take fiffteen items to a eight item express lane need to be
> ushered back to elementary math, because they're obviously ignorant.

Of course, unless it's YOU, and then it'd different, right?

Same way with people who think I need to sit behind six carts of checkout
goods for my seven over the limit purchase.

Do the math. From the store's standpoint, that is.

Or maybe they just should be quietly taken to the little produce backroom
and beaten with a belt. After all, rules ARE rules.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Thufir Hawat > wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 17:00:33 +1300, Miche wrote:
>
> > When I was a checkout chick my asshole father would come through my
> > express lane with half a trolley full of groceries, but fewer than 13
> > _types_ of things.
> >
> > He would insist that six loaves of bread was one item, "bread" being the
> > item, etc.

> It's from a movie, can't recall which one at the moment.

No, it's from my life. This happened when I was a teenager and working
in a supermarket.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> On 11/10/2010 12:00 AM, Miche wrote:
> > In >,
> > "Steve > wrote:
> >
> >> A lot of times I say, "Is that six pack considered one item or six?"

> > When I was a checkout chick my asshole father would come through my
> > express lane with half a trolley full of groceries, but fewer than 13
> > _types_ of things.
> >
> > He would insist that six loaves of bread was one item, "bread" being the
> > item, etc.

> I can buy his logic. If they are checking the stuff through they read
> the price tag or scan the code and times 6.

No, he was being an asshole. Trust me on this.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 10:58:19 +1300, Miche > wrote:

> No, he was being an asshole. Trust me on this.

My friend put herself through college as a telephone operator and she
got her dad every now and then. She pretended he was a stranger
because he was so awful, being verbally abusive and swearing.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Miche" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> On 11/10/2010 12:00 AM, Miche wrote:

>> > When I was a checkout chick my asshole father would come through my
>> > express lane with half a trolley full of groceries, but fewer than 13
>> > _types_ of things.
>> >
>> > He would insist that six loaves of bread was one item, "bread" being
>> > the
>> > item, etc.

>> I can buy his logic. If they are checking the stuff through they read
>> the price tag or scan the code and times 6.

> No, he was being an asshole. Trust me on this.
>
> Miche

Pardon me, but shouldn't that be MR. ASSHOLE, as he was helping pay the
cashier's pay? What would she do if they decided to eliminate the express
line?

So, it's being an asshole to go into a business and leave some money, and
expect them to be a little flexible on some of the "rules"?

Color me asshole, then. I think the old guy and I would have sat at the old
farts bench by the bathroom, and come up with lots of other ideas. I'd like
to meet the old gentleman.

Like spilling a bottle of tomato juice down the whole length of the feminine
hygiene aisle ............ things like that...........................

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 10:58:19 +1300, Miche > wrote:
>
> > No, he was being an asshole. Trust me on this.

> My friend put herself through college as a telephone operator and she
> got her dad every now and then. She pretended he was a stranger
> because he was so awful, being verbally abusive and swearing.

It sucks. I hope she doesn't have to put up with that any more.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> "blake murphy" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> And pray for compassionate others when it is.

>> it might be nice to be a 'compassionate other' now.

> I don't know that that can happen here. First we had hundreds of posts
> hating babies and now a thread hating old people, slow people, people with
> cognitive disorders and people who want to return faulty goods.

We seem to be too many people with too much time on our hands.
Too much free time seems to make people grouchy.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Steve B" > wrote:

> "Miche" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > Dave Smith > wrote:

> >> I can buy his logic. If they are checking the stuff through they read
> >> the price tag or scan the code and times 6.

> > No, he was being an asshole. Trust me on this.

> Pardon me, but shouldn't that be MR. ASSHOLE, as he was helping pay the
> cashier's pay? What would she do if they decided to eliminate the express
> line?

I was the cashier.

And I'd have been moved to another line, or given something else to do.

> So, it's being an asshole to go into a business and leave some money, and
> expect them to be a little flexible on some of the "rules"?
>
> Color me asshole, then. I think the old guy and I would have sat at the old
> farts bench by the bathroom, and come up with lots of other ideas. I'd like
> to meet the old gentleman.

No you wouldn't. He really is an asshole.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 12:28:21 -0700, sf > arranged
random neurons and said:

>On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 09:54:41 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:
>
>> OB: The Coeurs A La Creme With Raspberry Sauce were lovely and light,
>> but the raspberry sauce was a little weak. I think next time, I'll
>> include some raspberry jam to "muscle" it up a bit.

>How did you eat it, with a spoon or spread on something?

I drizzled it *most* artistically. I've even thought about pureeing
some raspberries, watering it down slightly with some juice, and
incorporating it into the body of the Coeurs, while reducing the cream
very slightly. I can't see adding more Chambord, as it would overwhelm
the Coeurs, IMHO. It was very good, very light, but needed a big more
raspberry kick.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 10:18*am, "Catmandy (Sheryl)" >
wrote:
> On Oct 11, 1:18*am, itsjoannotjoann > wrote:
>
> > On Oct 10, 11:01*pm, Roy > wrote:

> > > Turkeyneck, don't judge all old people the same way. I have my check
> > > ready for the cashier ALWAYS and they appreciate it.

> > It's not always the elderly who wait until every item is rung up and
> > bagged before they even begin to dig out their checkbooks. *I see
> > plenty of 30 and 40 somethings do this. *They *know* they are going to
> > pay by check why not at least have the date and store name already
> > written on the check??

> Do people still use checks at the supermarket?

'Fraid so. I'm just now getting co-worker to use her ATM card. She's
all the time whining she forgets to post that purchase in her check
register. I keep telling her it's the same thing as posting a check
except she has no check number. Her check book posting skills are
somewhat lacking so she can't really blame it on her ATM card even
though she tries.

> Anyway, most people I know just use their ATM card for purchases at
> supermarkets and drug stores. It comes right out of their checking
> account, same as if you wrote a check, but it's much faster at the
> checkout line. Nowadays, I only use my checkbook for copays at the
> doctor's office, and to pay my landlady. Most other bills are paid
> online.

I write about 5-7 checks per year. Everthing is paid with the check
card and thankfully I'm diligent about posting purchases. The doctors
office doesn't accept check cards, doesn't want to pay that fee, so
he, along with the property accessor, gets checks. Property accessors
office will accept ATM/credit cards but their fee is a percentage of
your property taxes and I'm not willing to pay them another penny. So
I spring for the stamp and mail my property tax bill each year.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 17:53:41 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 12:28:21 -0700, sf > arranged
> random neurons and said:
>
> >On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 09:54:41 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> > wrote:
> >
> >> OB: The Coeurs A La Creme With Raspberry Sauce were lovely and light,
> >> but the raspberry sauce was a little weak. I think next time, I'll
> >> include some raspberry jam to "muscle" it up a bit.

> >How did you eat it, with a spoon or spread on something?

> I drizzled it *most* artistically. I've even thought about pureeing
> some raspberries, watering it down slightly with some juice, and
> incorporating it into the body of the Coeurs, while reducing the cream
> very slightly. I can't see adding more Chambord, as it would overwhelm
> the Coeurs, IMHO. It was very good, very light, but needed a big more
> raspberry kick.

<laugh> I'm sure you made real pretty, Hon. I was wondering how you
got the coueurs up to your mouth.

Go Giants!

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.