Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I had never eaten this treat.....

Recently wandering thru the back roads of South Carolina, happened
upon an ice cream shop where they made they own waffle cones - gal had
two waffle irons going, showed me how she makes them on a conical form
etc. The ice cream was good, but the cone was an even better treat -
like a nice cookie. AND, no extra charge. I've seen some ice cream
shops where they charge an extra 50-60 cents for a waffle cone NOT
made on prem.

Also was introduced to scuppernongs, for those of you who appreciate
em. Jill? Mr. Bill?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14/09/2010 3:08 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> Recently wandering thru the back roads of South Carolina, happened
> upon an ice cream shop where they made they own waffle cones - gal had
> two waffle irons going, showed me how she makes them on a conical form
> etc. The ice cream was good, but the cone was an even better treat -
> like a nice cookie. AND, no extra charge. I've seen some ice cream
> shops where they charge an extra 50-60 cents for a waffle cone NOT
> made on prem.
>
> Also was introduced to scuppernongs, for those of you who appreciate
> em. Jill? Mr. Bill?

I bought an ice cream cone this summer, the first time in years. I was
surprised to see how expensive ice cream cones are now. I was even more
surprised to see how much extra they charge for a sugar cone. They used
to cost an extra 5 cents and now it is 50 cents. Nuts to that. The next
time I went shopping I picked up a box of sugar cones. A box of 20 was
50 cents more than a box of 20 regular cones. They charge as much extra
for each sugar as they would pay for a box of 20 and that is the retail
price.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sep 14, 12:08*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> Recently wandering thru the back roads of South Carolina, happened
> upon an ice cream shop where they made they own waffle cones - gal had
> two waffle irons going, showed me how she makes them on a conical form
> etc. * The ice cream was good, but the cone was an even better treat -
> like a nice cookie. *AND, no extra charge. *I've seen some ice cream
> shops where they charge an extra 50-60 cents for a waffle cone NOT
> made on prem.
>
> Also was introduced to scuppernongs, for those of you who appreciate
> em. *Jill? *Mr. Bill?

Scuppernogs and Muscadines are big fat wild grapes that are now being
cultivated in vineyards in the Southern climes.
I've been a fan of Muscadines for many years.

My sister, who lives in Florida, sends me her special 'muscadine
sauce'
every year as a Christmas present. I guard it with my life. I
finally weaseled the recipe out of her. I've made it with
regular black grapes and even with purple plumbs. It's got mace and
other spices in it and it has an indescribably delicious
flavor. I use it straight as a 'jam' on toast or as an ingredient
in a sauce I make with roasted pork loin or lamb chops, etc.

If you can get your hands on muscadines and/or scuppernogs you are
lucky.

I've even made muscadine wine. Turned out really good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 14, 4:54*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 14/09/2010 3:08 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>
> > Recently wandering thru the back roads of South Carolina, happened
> > upon an ice cream shop where they made they own waffle cones - gal had
> > two waffle irons going, showed me how she makes them on a conical form
> > etc. * The ice cream was good, but the cone was an even better treat -
> > like a nice cookie. *AND, no extra charge. *I've seen some ice cream
> > shops where they charge an extra 50-60 cents for a waffle cone NOT
> > made on prem.

> > Also was introduced to scuppernongs, for those of you who appreciate
> > em. *Jill? *Mr. Bill?

> I bought an ice cream cone this summer, the first time in years. I was
> surprised to see how expensive ice cream cones are now. I was even more
> surprised to see how much extra they charge for a sugar cone. They used
> to cost an extra 5 cents and now it is 50 cents. Nuts to that. The next
> time I went shopping I picked up a box of sugar cones. A box of 20 was
> 50 cents more than a box of 20 regular cones. *They charge as much extra
> for each sugar as they would pay for a box of 20 and that is the retail
> price.

I can remember as a kid - one scoop 8 cents, two scoops - 15cents.
Sugar cone - 3 cents extra.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> Recently wandering thru the back roads of South Carolina, happened
> upon an ice cream shop where they made they own waffle cones - gal had
> two waffle irons going, showed me how she makes them on a conical form
> etc. The ice cream was good, but the cone was an even better treat -
> like a nice cookie. AND, no extra charge. I've seen some ice cream
> shops where they charge an extra 50-60 cents for a waffle cone NOT
> made on prem.
>
> Also was introduced to scuppernongs, for those of you who appreciate
> em. Jill? Mr. Bill?

South Carolina has a lot of back roads. LOL I don't know where you were but
I know about a place on Lady's Island that serves homemade ice cream and
their own waffle cones. It's the Berry Island Cafe:

http://www.berryislandcafe.com/menuL.html

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> My sister, who lives in Florida, sends me her special 'muscadine
>> sauce'
>> every year as a Christmas present. I guard it with my life. I
>> finally weaseled the recipe out of her. I've made it with
>> regular black grapes and even with purple plumbs. It's got mace and
>> other spices in it and it has an indescribably delicious
>> flavor. I use it straight as a 'jam' on toast or as an ingredient
>> in a sauce I make with roasted pork loin or lamb chops, etc.
>>

>Would you care to share the recipe??

I've got some scuppernong jelly I bought in Asheville, delicious.
Not quite as good as the honeysuckle jelly I also bought.

Doug
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com