Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Have you ever eaten.......

Gorton, sometimes known as creton? This is a home made sandwich/cracker
spread made with ground pork. Those of you who may have grown up in New
England or are of French Canadian ancestry probably have at least tried
it. It's one of my favorite childhood memories and I still make it quite
often.

I mention this because I was standing in line at the grocer's the other
day and the two 25 year olds in front of me were discussing gorton and
how much they hated it.

Everyone I've ever had try it loves it. It sort of tastes like pork
pie, but it's served cold, like a spread for a sandwich (yum with
mustard).

It's made with ground pork, onions, cinnamon, allspice, ginger and
water. If anyone is interested in the recipe, let me know.

Denise

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Denise in NH" wrote:

> Gorton, sometimes known as creton?

Creton? Don't you mean cretin?

Do you have a web site for your Gorton?

The Gorton in New England I know is a purveyer of excellent seafood.

http://www.gortonsfreshseafood.com

> This is a home made sandwich/cracker
> spread made with ground pork. Those of you who may have grown up in New
> England or are of French Canadian ancestry probably have at least tried
> it. It's one of my favorite childhood memories and I still make it quite
> often.
>
> I mention this because I was standing in line at the grocer's the other
> day and the two 25 year olds in front of me were discussing gorton and
> how much they hated it.
>
> Everyone I've ever had try it loves it. It sort of tastes like pork
> pie, but it's served cold, like a spread for a sandwich (yum with
> mustard).
>
> It's made with ground pork, onions, cinnamon, allspice, ginger and
> water. If anyone is interested in the recipe, let me know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Denise in NH" > wrote in message
> Gorton, sometimes known as creton? This is a home made sandwich/cracker
> spread made with ground pork. Those of you who may have grown up in New
> England or are of French Canadian ancestry probably have at least tried
> it. It's one of my favorite childhood memories and I still make it quite
> often.
>
> I mention this because I was standing in line at the grocer's the other
> day and the two 25 year olds in front of me were discussing gorton and
> how much they hated it.
>
> Everyone I've ever had try it loves it. It sort of tastes like pork
> pie, but it's served cold, like a spread for a sandwich (yum with
> mustard).
>
> It's made with ground pork, onions, cinnamon, allspice, ginger and
> water. If anyone is interested in the recipe, let me know.
>
> Denise

Sounds like a New England version of Scrapple. I would like the recipe.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Denise in NH" > wrote in message
> Gorton, sometimes known as creton? This is a home made sandwich/cracker
> spread made with ground pork.

Is it like Underwood Deviled Ham?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 17:56:42 -0400, "dejablues"
> wrote:

>Is it like Underwood Deviled Ham?

That is ok...but nothing beats a potted meat on Wonder white w/
mustard sandwich!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Have you ever eaten..Gorton recipe

Denise in NH wrote about gorton, sometimes known as creton

Sheldon said:

Creton? Don't you mean cretin?
Do you have a web site for your Gorton?
The Gorton in New England I know is a purveyor of excellent seafood.
http://www.gortonsfreshseafood.com
No, Sheldon, it's creton, not cretin, and nothing at all to do with the
Gorton fish people, or scrapple, or ham spread. No web site, although I
know the recipe is on some internet lists.

It's a French Canadian thing, I guess. To pronounce "gorton" or
"creton" you'll need to channel your inner Maurice Chevalier.

Here's my recipe:

all amounts are approx. Everyone does it slightly differently

1 to 1 1/2 lbs ground pork
3 cups of water
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon onion salt
1 finely minced small onion
pepper to taste

Lightly fry up the pork, don't make it crispy, just lose the pink. Add
all other ingredients.

The old Canadian memeres used to use freshly ground pork butts, which
definitely added a little more fat, but increased the flavor. I just use
packaged ground pork.

Simmer for 3 to 4 hours on low, keep adding small amounts of water to
keep it from sticking. Taste it during the process and add more spices
if you want. When it tastes good and most of the water is evaporated,
it's done.

When done, whip it up with a stick immersion blender to make it creamy
(sort of like a pate), then pour it into a container and refrigerate.
It will firm up in a few hours.

In some of the French Canadian restaurants up here it's served either
as an appetizer with crackers or as a sandwich. It's good on toast with
mustard.
These restaurants also serve Canadian pork pie, salmon pie and poutine
(french fries with gravy and melted curd cheese)

Emeril's gorton recipe is slightly different:

1 1/4 lbs ground pork
3/4 C chopped onion
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 C milk
1/4 C breadcrumbs

In large pot, cover ingredients with water. Cook slowly till no water
remains
Mash with immersion blender

I hope someone tries to make gorton sometimes. Your mouth will be
watering the whole time it's cooking, I promise. It has a very mild
savory/sweet flavor.

Denise

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Denise wrote on Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:48:54 -0400:

> Sheldon said:

> Creton? Don't you mean cretin?
> Do you have a web site for your Gorton?
> The Gorton in New England I know is a purveyor of excellent
> seafood. http://www.gortonsfreshseafood.com

I believe Gortons is Japanese owned.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Denise in NH wrote:
> Gorton, sometimes known as creton? This is a home made sandwich/cracker
> spread made with ground pork. Those of you who may have grown up in New
> England or are of French Canadian ancestry probably have at least tried
> it. It's one of my favorite childhood memories and I still make it quite
> often.
>
> I mention this because I was standing in line at the grocer's the other
> day and the two 25 year olds in front of me were discussing gorton and
> how much they hated it.
>
> Everyone I've ever had try it loves it. It sort of tastes like pork
> pie, but it's served cold, like a spread for a sandwich (yum with
> mustard).
>
> It's made with ground pork, onions, cinnamon, allspice, ginger and
> water. If anyone is interested in the recipe, let me know.
>
> Denise

I haven't tried it get but I have several recipes for it.
One of these days . . . .

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Denise in NH" > wrote in message
> Denise in NH wrote about gorton, sometimes known as creton
>
> Sheldon said:
>
> Creton? Don't you mean cretin?
> Do you have a web site for your Gorton?
> The Gorton in New England I know is a purveyor of excellent seafood.
> http://www.gortonsfreshseafood.com
> No, Sheldon, it's creton, not cretin, and nothing at all to do with the
> Gorton fish people, or scrapple, or ham spread. No web site, although I
> know the recipe is on some internet lists.
>
> It's a French Canadian thing, I guess. To pronounce "gorton" or
> "creton" you'll need to channel your inner Maurice Chevalier.

My Frog sucks, with my Brooklynese I'll just have to whisper Loo-wheeze!

I studied those recipes... ya know, they're darn close to a precooked
version of Spam... the spices match those in Boar's Head Spiced Ham. I
guess it's a form of force meat.... might be good for stuffing wonton skins:
Canadian Ravioli a la Gorton... cut in the shape of a maple leaf and served
on a bed of poutine!

> Here's my recipe:
>
> all amounts are approx. Everyone does it slightly differently
>
> 1 to 1 1/2 lbs ground pork
> 3 cups of water
> 1 teaspoon cinnamon
> 1 teaspoon allspice
> 1 teaspoon ground cloves
> 1 teaspoon onion salt
> 1 finely minced small onion
> pepper to taste
>
> Lightly fry up the pork, don't make it crispy, just lose the pink. Add
> all other ingredients.
>
> The old Canadian memeres used to use freshly ground pork butts, which
> definitely added a little more fat, but increased the flavor. I just use
> packaged ground pork.
>
> Simmer for 3 to 4 hours on low, keep adding small amounts of water to
> keep it from sticking. Taste it during the process and add more spices
> if you want. When it tastes good and most of the water is evaporated,
> it's done.
>
> When done, whip it up with a stick immersion blender to make it creamy
> (sort of like a pate), then pour it into a container and refrigerate.
> It will firm up in a few hours.
>
> In some of the French Canadian restaurants up here it's served either
> as an appetizer with crackers or as a sandwich. It's good on toast with
> mustard.
> These restaurants also serve Canadian pork pie, salmon pie and poutine
> (french fries with gravy and melted curd cheese)
>
> Emeril's gorton recipe is slightly different:
>
> 1 1/4 lbs ground pork
> 3/4 C chopped onion
> 1 tsp minced garlic
> 1 tsp salt
> 3/4 tsp black pepper
> 1/2 tsp cloves
> 1/4 tsp cinnamon
> 1/4 tsp ginger
> 1/4 tsp nutmeg
> 3/4 C milk
> 1/4 C breadcrumbs
>
> In large pot, cover ingredients with water. Cook slowly till no water
> remains
> Mash with immersion blender
>
> I hope someone tries to make gorton sometimes. Your mouth will be
> watering the whole time it's cooking, I promise. It has a very mild
> savory/sweet flavor.
>
> Denise

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Denise in NH" > wrote in message
| Denise in NH wrote about gorton, sometimes known as creton

Thank you for the interesting recipes, the variation in
seasonings is very similar to the differences we find
in tourtiere recipes, which remind me very much of the
gorton. Perhaps a tourtiere for the pastry-impaired? Does
any culture use the gorton as a filling for pastry pies of any
sort?

pavane