Default What would the Hittites have eaten?

What kinds of foods would the Hittites have eaten? So far I've found
that they probably ate mutton, grapes, figs and used olive oil and
honey.

Opinicus

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> What kinds of foods would the Hittites have eaten? So far
> I've found
> that they probably ate mutton, grapes, figs and used olive
> oil and
> honey.

Wheat and barley too.
http://www.allaboutturkey.com/hitit.htm

Do a Google search on "Hittites" and then refine your search
with "diet".

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hittites
Nothing about diet there specifically but many good links
worth exploring.

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to rec.food.historic
Mark Zanger

Being wild conquerors from the North, they would, in their later years, have
fallen to feasting on the delicacies of their conquered Babylonian chefs.
What they ate was early Iraqi food. See:

http://www.iraqicookbook.com/

Have heard the author speak and tasted some of her reconstructions of
recipes from cuneiform tablets. Quite yummy. The Hittites doubtless gave up
their shepherd's stews and Barley-cake K rations and lived the good life.

--
-Mark H. Zanger
author, The American History Cookbook, The American Ethnic Cookbook for

oups.com...