Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Anyone eaten Fox ?

Just been chatting to a neighbour in the village bar here in the
Beaujolais and he had just dropped off 3 dead foxes that he shot this
afternoon to a gypsy family that live on a site down the road who relish
fox meat ! He says there is no way that he will the meat but if someone
else is happy to, why let it go to waste . I agree with both sentiments

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Y > wrote:

> Just been chatting to a neighbour in the village bar here in the
> Beaujolais and he had just dropped off 3 dead foxes that he shot this
> afternoon to a gypsy family that live on a site down the road who relish
> fox meat ! He says there is no way that he will the meat but if someone
> else is happy to, why let it go to waste . I agree with both sentiments
>
> Steve

Actually, yes... Many years ago back when I was in high school.
My best friend's mom hit a fox when she was bringing me home from her
house one night.

She left it lay but it was less than one mile away.

My dad, being one to not waste anything, went back to recover it. We did
salvage the beautiful winter hide....

and dad decided to make stew from the carcass.

It was RANK!

So, they added chili spices. Still inedible.

Made dog food from it.

The dog would not eat it.

He finally tied it into a trash bag and tossed it.

Predator meat, as a general rule, is not edible.

Gods knows _I'd_ never try it again! I was about 14 (30 years ago) and
I've not forgotten how disgusting it was.

Your mileage may vary... ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Steve Y > wrote:
>
>> Just been chatting to a neighbour in the village bar here in the
>> Beaujolais and he had just dropped off 3 dead foxes that he shot this
>> afternoon to a gypsy family that live on a site down the road who relish
>> fox meat ! He says there is no way that he will the meat but if someone
>> else is happy to, why let it go to waste . I agree with both sentiments
>>
>> Steve

> Actually, yes... Many years ago back when I was in high school.
> My best friend's mom hit a fox when she was bringing me home from her
> house one night.
>
> She left it lay but it was less than one mile away.
>
> My dad, being one to not waste anything, went back to recover it. We did
> salvage the beautiful winter hide....
>
> and dad decided to make stew from the carcass.
>
> It was RANK!
>
> So, they added chili spices. Still inedible.
>
> Made dog food from it.
>
> The dog would not eat it.

Might be some scent glands you need to remove when you butcher fox for
it to be edible. (not that I'd want to eat it)

I bet the chickens would have eaten it.

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hello, zxcvbob!
You wrote on Thu, 25 Jan 2007 13:47:08 -0600:

z> Omelet wrote:
??>> In article >,
??>> Steve Y > wrote:
??>>
??>>> Just been chatting to a neighbour in the village bar here
??>>> in the Beaujolais and he had just dropped off 3 dead
??>>> foxes that he shot this afternoon to a gypsy family that
??>>> live on a site down the road who relish fox meat ! He
??>>> says there is no way that he will the meat but if someone
??>>> else is happy to, why let it go to waste . I agree with
??>>> both sentiments

z> Might be some scent glands you need to remove when you
z> butcher fox for it to be edible. (not that I'd want to eat
z> it)

z> I bet the chickens would have eaten it.

Not that I've knowingly tried, but I believe humans usually
find carnivores distasteful even if some Orientals do eat dog.
Come to think of it, I may have eaten in an Indian restaurant in
Oxford, England that was later closed when it was proved to have
used cat!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Y wrote:
> Just been chatting to a neighbour in the village bar here in the
> Beaujolais and he had just dropped off 3 dead foxes that he shot this
> afternoon to a gypsy family that live on a site down the road who relish
> fox meat ! He says there is no way that he will the meat but if someone
> else is happy to, why let it go to waste . I agree with both sentiments
>
> Steve

Ugh. Wouldn't that be like eating a dog?

Why did the guy shoot them if he didn't want to eat them?
They are beautiful animals and they eat mice and rats, don't
they? He's upsetting the ecosystem.

Yeah, I know, they* eat chickens too. (*Both foxes and gypsies.)

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> > The dog would not eat it.

> Might be some scent glands you need to remove when you butcher fox for
> it to be edible. (not that I'd want to eat it)
>
> I bet the chickens would have eaten it.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Knowing chickens, most likely. <G>

I'll pass on predator meat, thanks.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Y said...

> Just been chatting to a neighbour in the village bar here in the
> Beaujolais and he had just dropped off 3 dead foxes that he shot this
> afternoon to a gypsy family that live on a site down the road who relish
> fox meat ! He says there is no way that he will the meat but if someone
> else is happy to, why let it go to waste . I agree with both sentiments
>
> Steve

I would never eat fox unless it was them or me.

They're my backyard and frontyard scouts! I don't wish them any harm.

A mutual appreciation we've had for ages!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Steve Y said...
>
> > Just been chatting to a neighbour in the village bar here in the
> > Beaujolais and he had just dropped off 3 dead foxes that he shot this
> > afternoon to a gypsy family that live on a site down the road who relish
> > fox meat ! He says there is no way that he will the meat but if someone
> > else is happy to, why let it go to waste . I agree with both sentiments
> >
> > Steve

> I would never eat fox unless it was them or me.
>
> They're my backyard and frontyard scouts! I don't wish them any harm.
>
> A mutual appreciation we've had for ages!
>
> Andy

You've never owned poultry. ;-)

I'm guessing too that if you have pet cats, you keep them indoors.

I like foxes, (they are cute) but not in my back yard........
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet said...

> In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> Steve Y said...
>>
>> > Just been chatting to a neighbour in the village bar here in the
>> > Beaujolais and he had just dropped off 3 dead foxes that he shot this
>> > afternoon to a gypsy family that live on a site down the road who
>> > relish fox meat ! He says there is no way that he will the meat but
>> > if someone else is happy to, why let it go to waste . I agree with
>> > both sentiments
>> >
>> > Steve

>> I would never eat fox unless it was them or me.
>>
>> They're my backyard and frontyard scouts! I don't wish them any harm.
>>
>> A mutual appreciation we've had for ages!
>>
>> Andy

> You've never owned poultry. ;-)
>
> I'm guessing too that if you have pet cats, you keep them indoors.
>
> I like foxes, (they are cute) but not in my back yard........

Yabbut... I HAVE been caught red-handed in the hen house that is
(sometimes) recfoodcooking chat!

Andy
"I love hens!!!"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> > I like foxes, (they are cute) but not in my back yard........

> Yabbut... I HAVE been caught red-handed in the hen house that is
> (sometimes) recfoodcooking chat!
>
> Andy
> "I love hens!!!"

So thou art a fox in the henhouse...

Figures. <lol>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote:
> > They're my backyard and frontyard scouts! I don't wish them any harm.

> You've never owned poultry. ;-)
> I'm guessing too that if you have pet cats, you keep them indoors.

How big are the foxes in your area? Most red foxes I've seen are
about 10 pounds, although the puffy fur makes them look quite a bit
larger. I can't imagine a red fox trying to take on an adult cat.
I have seen a cat that stalked and attempted to take a fox. Foxes
can run _fast_.

Jnospam

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Jnospam >
wrote:

> Omelet > wrote:
> > > They're my backyard and frontyard scouts! I don't wish them any harm.

> > You've never owned poultry. ;-)
> > I'm guessing too that if you have pet cats, you keep them indoors.

> How big are the foxes in your area? Most red foxes I've seen are
> about 10 pounds, although the puffy fur makes them look quite a bit
> larger. I can't imagine a red fox trying to take on an adult cat.
> I have seen a cat that stalked and attempted to take a fox. Foxes
> can run _fast_.
>
> Jnospam

We have gray foxes in our area, not red.
Only slightly smaller than a coyote.

They'd have no problem handling a house cat, or even small dogs for that
matter.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jnospam wrote:
> Omelet > wrote:
>>> They're my backyard and frontyard scouts! I don't wish them any harm.

>> You've never owned poultry. ;-)
>> I'm guessing too that if you have pet cats, you keep them indoors.

> How big are the foxes in your area? Most red foxes I've seen are
> about 10 pounds, although the puffy fur makes them look quite a bit
> larger. I can't imagine a red fox trying to take on an adult cat.
> I have seen a cat that stalked and attempted to take a fox. Foxes
> can run _fast_.
>
> Jnospam

In our neighborhood they go to the pond and eat duck.

It's interesting to see the flock of ducks gather in a tight circle
at the very center of the pond and quack loudly when one of the foxes is
seen lurking in the shrubs nearby. It's in vain, because we do see
piles of feathers on the shore occasionally.

We have ducks, geese, foxes, raccoons (who live in the storm sewers),
skunks, and even an occasional coyote skulking around. (I've discovered
that when neighbors claim we have a "scruffy white fox", they have seen
a coyote.)

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Y > wrote:

> Just been chatting to a neighbour in the village bar here in the
> Beaujolais and he had just dropped off 3 dead foxes that he shot this
> afternoon to a gypsy family that live on a site down the road who relish
> fox meat ! He says there is no way that he will the meat but if someone
> else is happy to, why let it go to waste . I agree with both sentiments

See <http://www.tomatom.com/2006/02/foxy-meal-i-want-you/>, and
<http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/magazine/alaska_hunting_drop_camp.htm>
(scroll to Day 6), but see also
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=342607 7&dopt=Abstract>.