Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Electric Stove with FRONT mounted controls?

When I was a kid, my parents had a GE Electric range, brown colored,
with push-button controls mounted on the front panel. We bought the
house in 1965 and that stove worked like a dream until 1990 or so!
When we replaced it, the stove had rear panel mounted controls. And
the stove I have now in my apartment has rear-mounted controls. I have
always hated rear-mounted control panels on stoves!!

I'm short. Not even 5 ft tall. When I have a tall pot going, I
frequently get steam burns (or contact burns if I brush up against the
lid) reaching over it to adjust the temperature or turn off the
burner. I did it again today. Complicating this is that the only large
diameter burner is located on the same side as the stove controls.
Small burners on the right side have the oven controls behind them. Of
course, the large diameter burner is the most used, since it
accomodates the stock pot, the pasta pot, the pressure cooker, etc.

I would love for my next stove to have front mounted controls, like my
gas range did in my former home. I'm renting, so converting from
electric to gas is not an option. All of the standard size stand-alone
electric ranges I've seen have rear mounted control panels. WHY IS
THAT?

Why is it, gas ranges have front mounted controls but electric are on
the back? I know it would be dangerous for homes with kids, but I
don't have kids, never will. There should be options available for
child-free homes which have a need for front mounted controls. At
least 1 or 2 models, any way.

What do people who are limited to a wheel chair do? I imagine the
elderly have trouble with rear-mounted controls, too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 12:20:12 -0700 (PDT), "Catmandy (Sheryl)"
> wrote:

>When I was a kid, my parents had a GE Electric range, brown colored,
>with push-button controls mounted on the front panel. We bought the
>house in 1965 and that stove worked like a dream until 1990 or so!
>When we replaced it, the stove had rear panel mounted controls. And
>the stove I have now in my apartment has rear-mounted controls. I have
>always hated rear-mounted control panels on stoves!!
>
>I'm short. Not even 5 ft tall. When I have a tall pot going, I
>frequently get steam burns (or contact burns if I brush up against the
>lid) reaching over it to adjust the temperature or turn off the
>burner. I did it again today. Complicating this is that the only large
>diameter burner is located on the same side as the stove controls.
>Small burners on the right side have the oven controls behind them. Of
>course, the large diameter burner is the most used, since it
>accomodates the stock pot, the pasta pot, the pressure cooker, etc.
>
>I would love for my next stove to have front mounted controls, like my
>gas range did in my former home. I'm renting, so converting from
>electric to gas is not an option. All of the standard size stand-alone
>electric ranges I've seen have rear mounted control panels. WHY IS
>THAT?
>
>Why is it, gas ranges have front mounted controls but electric are on
>the back? I know it would be dangerous for homes with kids, but I
>don't have kids, never will. There should be options available for
>child-free homes which have a need for front mounted controls. At
>least 1 or 2 models, any way.
>
>What do people who are limited to a wheel chair do? I imagine the
>elderly have trouble with rear-mounted controls, too.

Google "ada compliant appliances." There's one here about half way
down.

http://www.bizrate.com/ada-compliant-appliances/

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I would love for my next stove to have front mounted controls, like my
> gas range did in my former home. I'm renting, so converting from
> electric to gas is not an option. All of the standard size stand-alone
> electric ranges I've seen *have rear mounted control panels. WHY IS
> THAT?

I think it started with child safety concerns, along with the
possibility of an adult brushing up against or leaning against a front-
mounted control and accidentally turning it on - have no clue why gas
are different.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 9, 3:33*pm, Nancy2 > wrote:
> > I would love for my next stove to have front mounted controls, like my
> > gas range did in my former home. I'm renting, so converting from
> > electric to gas is not an option. All of the standard size stand-alone
> > electric ranges I've seen *have rear mounted control panels. WHY IS
> > THAT?

> I think it started with child safety concerns, along with the
> possibility of an adult brushing up against or leaning against a front-
> mounted control and accidentally turning it on - have no clue why gas
> are different.
>
> N.

But you can control whether you turn something on or not. It's much
harder to control burning yourself when you have to hold your arm over
a tall, steaming pot to get at the controls behind it. It just seems
like the manufacturers put the controls on the back b/c it's easier
and safer for THEM, from a liability perspective.

Thanks for the link on the ADA compliant ranges. That's exactly what
I'm looking for.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sep 9, 12:20*pm, "Catmandy (Sheryl)" >
wrote:
> When I was a kid, my parents had a GE Electric range, brown colored,
> with push-button controls mounted on the front panel. We bought the
> house in 1965 and that stove worked like a dream until 1990 or so!
> When we replaced it, the stove had rear panel mounted controls. And
> the stove I have now in my apartment has rear-mounted controls. I have
> always hated rear-mounted control panels on stoves!!
>
> I'm short. Not even 5 ft tall. When I have a tall pot going, I
> frequently get steam burns (or contact burns if I brush up against the
> lid) reaching over it to adjust the temperature or turn off the
> burner. I did it again today. Complicating this is that the only large
> diameter burner is located on the same side as the stove controls.
> Small burners on the right side have the oven controls behind them. Of
> course, the large diameter burner is the most used, since it
> accomodates the stock pot, the pasta pot, the pressure cooker, etc.
>
> I would love for my next stove to have front mounted controls, like my
> gas range did in my former home. I'm renting, so converting from
> electric to gas is not an option. All of the standard size stand-alone
> electric ranges I've seen *have rear mounted control panels. WHY IS
> THAT?
>
> Why is it, gas ranges have front mounted controls but electric are on
> the back? I know it would be dangerous for homes with kids, but I
> don't have kids, never will. There should be options available for
> child-free homes which have a need for front mounted controls. At
> least 1 or 2 models, any way.
>
> What do people who are limited to a wheel chair do? I imagine the
> elderly have trouble with rear-mounted controls, too.

Check these out

http://www.geappliances.com/products...ic_slide_drop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 12:33:27 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> > I would love for my next stove to have front mounted controls, like my
> > gas range did in my former home. I'm renting, so converting from
> > electric to gas is not an option. All of the standard size stand-alone
> > electric ranges I've seen *have rear mounted control panels. WHY IS
> > THAT?
> >

> I think it started with child safety concerns, along with the
> possibility of an adult brushing up against or leaning against a front-
> mounted control and accidentally turning it on - have no clue why gas
> are different.

That makes sense. Rear mounted "control panels" are
electronic/digital, aren't they? I guess I will have to take the
front mounted knobs off my newish cooktop when I have future toddlers
in the house.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/9/2010 2:20 PM, Catmandy (Sheryl) wrote:
> When I was a kid, my parents had a GE Electric range, brown colored,
> with push-button controls mounted on the front panel. We bought the
> house in 1965 and that stove worked like a dream until 1990 or so!
> When we replaced it, the stove had rear panel mounted controls. And
> the stove I have now in my apartment has rear-mounted controls. I have
> always hated rear-mounted control panels on stoves!!
>
> I'm short. Not even 5 ft tall. When I have a tall pot going, I
> frequently get steam burns (or contact burns if I brush up against the
> lid) reaching over it to adjust the temperature or turn off the
> burner. I did it again today. Complicating this is that the only large
> diameter burner is located on the same side as the stove controls.
> Small burners on the right side have the oven controls behind them. Of
> course, the large diameter burner is the most used, since it
> accomodates the stock pot, the pasta pot, the pressure cooker, etc.
>
> I would love for my next stove to have front mounted controls, like my
> gas range did in my former home. I'm renting, so converting from
> electric to gas is not an option. All of the standard size stand-alone
> electric ranges I've seen have rear mounted control panels. WHY IS
> THAT?
>
> Why is it, gas ranges have front mounted controls but electric are on
> the back? I know it would be dangerous for homes with kids, but I
> don't have kids, never will. There should be options available for
> child-free homes which have a need for front mounted controls. At
> least 1 or 2 models, any way.
>
> What do people who are limited to a wheel chair do? I imagine the
> elderly have trouble with rear-mounted controls, too.

Lots of free standing electric ranges have front mounted controls.
Go here and look at some of them:
http://www.lowes.com/pl_Freestanding...s_4294858007__

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 9, 4:22*pm, George Shirley > wrote:
> On 9/9/2010 2:20 PM, Catmandy (Sheryl) wrote:
>

> > When I was a kid, my parents had a GE Electric range, brown colored,
> > with push-button controls mounted on the front panel. We bought the
> > house in 1965 and that stove worked like a dream until 1990 or so!
> > When we replaced it, the stove had rear panel mounted controls. And
> > the stove I have now in my apartment has rear-mounted controls. I have
> > always hated rear-mounted control panels on stoves!!

> > I'm short. Not even 5 ft tall. When I have a tall pot going, I
> > frequently get steam burns (or contact burns if I brush up against the
> > lid) reaching over it to adjust the temperature or turn off the
> > burner. I did it again today. Complicating this is that the only large
> > diameter burner is located on the same side as the stove controls.
> > Small burners on the right side have the oven controls behind them. Of
> > course, the large diameter burner is the most used, since it
> > accomodates the stock pot, the pasta pot, the pressure cooker, etc.

> > I would love for my next stove to have front mounted controls, like my
> > gas range did in my former home. I'm renting, so converting from
> > electric to gas is not an option. All of the standard size stand-alone
> > electric ranges I've seen *have rear mounted control panels. WHY IS
> > THAT?

> > Why is it, gas ranges have front mounted controls but electric are on
> > the back? I know it would be dangerous for homes with kids, but I
> > don't have kids, never will. There should be options available for
> > child-free homes which have a need for front mounted controls. At
> > least 1 or 2 models, any way.

> > What do people who are limited to a wheel chair do? I imagine the
> > elderly have trouble with rear-mounted controls, too.

> Lots of free standing electric ranges have front mounted controls.
> Go here and look at some of them:http://www.lowes.com/pl_Freestanding...s_4294858007__

The link you provided was for gas ranges. I didn't see any electric
ranges at Lowes with front mounted controls.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sep 9, 1:34*pm, "Catmandy (Sheryl)" > wrote:
> On Sep 9, 4:22*pm, George Shirley > wrote:
>

> > On 9/9/2010 2:20 PM, Catmandy (Sheryl) wrote:

> > > When I was a kid, my parents had a GE Electric range, brown colored,
> > > with push-button controls mounted on the front panel. We bought the
> > > house in 1965 and that stove worked like a dream until 1990 or so!
> > > When we replaced it, the stove had rear panel mounted controls. And
> > > the stove I have now in my apartment has rear-mounted controls. I have
> > > always hated rear-mounted control panels on stoves!!

> > > I'm short. Not even 5 ft tall. When I have a tall pot going, I
> > > frequently get steam burns (or contact burns if I brush up against the
> > > lid) reaching over it to adjust the temperature or turn off the
> > > burner. I did it again today. Complicating this is that the only large
> > > diameter burner is located on the same side as the stove controls.
> > > Small burners on the right side have the oven controls behind them. Of
> > > course, the large diameter burner is the most used, since it
> > > accomodates the stock pot, the pasta pot, the pressure cooker, etc.

> > > I would love for my next stove to have front mounted controls, like my
> > > gas range did in my former home. I'm renting, so converting from
> > > electric to gas is not an option. All of the standard size stand-alone
> > > electric ranges I've seen *have rear mounted control panels. WHY IS
> > > THAT?

> > > Why is it, gas ranges have front mounted controls but electric are on
> > > the back? I know it would be dangerous for homes with kids, but I
> > > don't have kids, never will. There should be options available for
> > > child-free homes which have a need for front mounted controls. At
> > > least 1 or 2 models, any way.

> > > What do people who are limited to a wheel chair do? I imagine the
> > > elderly have trouble with rear-mounted controls, too.

> > Lots of free standing electric ranges have front mounted controls.
> > Go here and look at some of them:http://www.lowes.com/pl_Freestanding...s_4294858007__

> The link you provided was for gas ranges. I didn't see any electric
> ranges at Lowes with front mounted controls.- Hide quoted text -

these do http://www.geappliances.com/products...ic_slide_drop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/9/2010 2:20 PM, Catmandy (Sheryl) wrote:

> I'm short. Not even 5 ft tall. When I have a tall pot going, I
> frequently get steam burns (or contact burns if I brush up against the
> lid) reaching over it to adjust the temperature or turn off the
> burner. I did it again today. Complicating this is that the only large
> diameter burner is located on the same side as the stove controls.
> Small burners on the right side have the oven controls behind them. Of
> course, the large diameter burner is the most used, since it
> accomodates the stock pot, the pasta pot, the pressure cooker, etc.

When I bought my range there were several burner considerations for the
same stove. Knowing I'm a shortie (5'2"), I got one with the small
burners in the back and the big ones in the front.

It's easier to reach the controls.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 9, 4:19*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 12:33:27 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
>
> > wrote:
>
> > > I would love for my next stove to have front mounted controls, like my
> > > gas range did in my former home. I'm renting, so converting from
> > > electric to gas is not an option. All of the standard size stand-alone
> > > electric ranges I've seen *have rear mounted control panels. WHY IS
> > > THAT?

> > I think it started with child safety concerns, along with the
> > possibility of an adult brushing up against or leaning against a front-
> > mounted control and accidentally turning it on - have no clue why gas
> > are different.

> That makes sense. *Rear mounted "control panels" are
> electronic/digital, aren't they? *I guess I will have to take the
> front mounted knobs off my newish cooktop when I have future toddlers
> in the house.
>
> --
>
> Never trust a dog to watch your food.

They have a gadget you can install on the front mounted knobs to keep
little fingers from touching what they shouldn't.
www.totshield.com
Knowing this is available, you'd think it would be easier for all
concerned to mount the knobs on the front of most of the electric
ranges, woudn't you? Who would prefer to reach over hot pots to turn a
knob??

I understand it's important to keep kids safe, but isn't that the
parents' job?
I dunno. My cat likes to shred toilet paper and splash around in the
toilet and get into other stuff that for her own safety, as well as
for the safety of the "stuff", I don't want her getting into. Since I
can't watch her 24/7, I just shut the door so she can't be in there
unattended. I don't want her falling out of an open window, so I keep
the screens in place. I don't want her to get hurt by possibly jumping
off the ledge of the porch chasing a bird in flight: guess what, she's
not permitted on the porch. I don't want her to be tempted to play
with electrical wires, so I tuck them out of her sight in plastic
tubes. I don't want her to poison herself by licking household
cleaners: she's not permitted in the cabinet they are stored in. A
cat has the same intellectual capacity as a 2 year old. I want her to
be safe, so I keep an eye on her so I can protect her. I just think
it's ridiculous that appliance engineers can't leave the
responsibility of keeping kids safe to their families and build things
that are easy to use for the most people.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 9, 4:35*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Sep 9, 1:34*pm, "Catmandy (Sheryl)" > wrote:

> > > Lots of free standing electric ranges have front mounted controls.
> > > Go here and look at some of them:http://www.lowes.com/pl_Freestanding...s_4294858007__

> > The link you provided was for gas ranges. I didn't see any electric
> > ranges at Lowes with front mounted controls.- Hide quoted text -

> these do * *http://www.geappliances.com/products...ic_slide_drop/

Thank you. I saw those. Unfortunately, my space requires a free-
standing range. They are lovely though. I think I'm going to have to
with a GE ADA compliant range. They are basic bare bones models but
they will serve my purpose.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
k k is offline

Catmandy (Sheryl) wrote:
> When I was a kid, my parents had a GE Electric range, brown colored,
> with push-button controls mounted on the front panel. We bought the
> house in 1965 and that stove worked like a dream until 1990 or so!
> When we replaced it, the stove had rear panel mounted controls. And
> the stove I have now in my apartment has rear-mounted controls. I have
> always hated rear-mounted control panels on stoves!!
>
> I'm short. Not even 5 ft tall. When I have a tall pot going, I
> frequently get steam burns (or contact burns if I brush up against the
> lid) reaching over it to adjust the temperature or turn off the
> burner. I did it again today. Complicating this is that the only large
> diameter burner is located on the same side as the stove controls.
> Small burners on the right side have the oven controls behind them. Of
> course, the large diameter burner is the most used, since it
> accomodates the stock pot, the pasta pot, the pressure cooker, etc.
>
> I would love for my next stove to have front mounted controls, like my
> gas range did in my former home. I'm renting, so converting from
> electric to gas is not an option. All of the standard size stand-alone
> electric ranges I've seen have rear mounted control panels. WHY IS
> THAT?
>
> Why is it, gas ranges have front mounted controls but electric are on
> the back? I know it would be dangerous for homes with kids, but I
> don't have kids, never will. There should be options available for
> child-free homes which have a need for front mounted controls. At
> least 1 or 2 models, any way.
>
> What do people who are limited to a wheel chair do? I imagine the
> elderly have trouble with rear-mounted controls, too.

Your old range was probably a drop-in or a slide-in model where
front-controls are the norm. I think I probably have the same model you
grew up with - it's was made in 1965. I've replaced all the elements except
for the broiler at least once, and every time I see one by the road for
pickup I pirate a few of the pushbutton burner controllers. They are hard
to find as replacement parts and are dearly priced.

If your current range is between two cabinets, then you can use a slide-in
model-all they are missing are the finish panels on the sides.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 9, 4:52*pm, "K" > wrote:
> Catmandy (Sheryl) wrote:
> > When I was a kid, my parents had a GE Electric range, brown colored,
> > with push-button controls mounted on the front panel. We bought the
> > house in 1965 and that stove worked like a dream until 1990 or so!
> > When we replaced it, the stove had rear panel mounted controls. And
> > the stove I have now in my apartment has rear-mounted controls. I have
> > always hated rear-mounted control panels on stoves!!

> > I'm short. Not even 5 ft tall. When I have a tall pot going, I
> > frequently get steam burns (or contact burns if I brush up against the
> > lid) reaching over it to adjust the temperature or turn off the
> > burner. I did it again today. Complicating this is that the only large
> > diameter burner is located on the same side as the stove controls.
> > Small burners on the right side have the oven controls behind them. Of
> > course, the large diameter burner is the most used, since it
> > accomodates the stock pot, the pasta pot, the pressure cooker, etc.

> > I would love for my next stove to have front mounted controls, like my
> > gas range did in my former home. I'm renting, so converting from
> > electric to gas is not an option. All of the standard size stand-alone
> > electric ranges I've seen *have rear mounted control panels. WHY IS
> > THAT?

> > Why is it, gas ranges have front mounted controls but electric are on
> > the back? I know it would be dangerous for homes with kids, but I
> > don't have kids, never will. There should be options available for
> > child-free homes which have a need for front mounted controls. At
> > least 1 or 2 models, any way.

> > What do people who are limited to a wheel chair do? I imagine the
> > elderly have trouble with rear-mounted controls, too.

> Your old range was probably a drop-in or a slide-in model where
> front-controls are the norm. *I think I probably have the same model you
> grew up with - it's was made in 1965. *I've replaced all the elements except
> for the broiler at least once, and every time I see one by the road for
> pickup I pirate a few of the pushbutton burner controllers. *They are hard
> to find as replacement parts and are dearly priced.
>
> If your current range is between two cabinets, then you can use a slide-in
> model-all they are missing are the finish panels on the sides.
>
> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

The old one may have been a drop in. I don't recall a drawer under the
oven. Our next door neighbor had the same stove. Houses were built in
1961. That notwithstanding, I haven't lived in that house in almost 15
years.

My current range is freestanding with one cabinet on the left side. It
needs to be finished on the right side to work in the kitchen I'm in
now. So I'm looking for a free-standing electric range.
Thanks for your thoughts though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 9, 2:43*pm, "Catmandy (Sheryl)" > wrote:
> On Sep 9, 3:33*pm, Nancy2 > wrote:
>
> > > I would love for my next stove to have front mounted controls, like my
> > > gas range did in my former home. I'm renting, so converting from
> > > electric to gas is not an option. All of the standard size stand-alone
> > > electric ranges I've seen *have rear mounted control panels. WHY IS
> > > THAT?

> > I think it started with child safety concerns, along with the
> > possibility of an adult brushing up against or leaning against a front-
> > mounted control and accidentally turning it on - have no clue why gas
> > are different.

> > N.

> But you can control whether you turn something on or not. It's much
> harder to control burning yourself when you have to hold your arm over
> a tall, steaming pot to get at the controls behind it. *It just seems
> like the manufacturers put the controls on the back b/c it's easier
> and safer for THEM, from a liability perspective.

Hey, I didn't make the change, don't blame me! ;-) Yer preachin' to
the choir.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 9, 3:19*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 12:33:27 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
>
> > wrote:
>
> > > I would love for my next stove to have front mounted controls, like my
> > > gas range did in my former home. I'm renting, so converting from
> > > electric to gas is not an option. All of the standard size stand-alone
> > > electric ranges I've seen *have rear mounted control panels. WHY IS
> > > THAT?

> > I think it started with child safety concerns, along with the
> > possibility of an adult brushing up against or leaning against a front-
> > mounted control and accidentally turning it on - have no clue why gas
> > are different.

> That makes sense. *Rear mounted "control panels" are
> electronic/digital, aren't they? *I guess I will have to take the
> front mounted knobs off my newish cooktop when I have future toddlers
> in the house.
>
> --
>
> Never trust a dog to watch your food.

My pre-electronic control electric stove had regular dial controls on
the back panel....

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I understand it's important to keep kids safe, but isn't that the
> parents' job?
> I dunno. My cat likes to shred toilet paper and splash around in the
> toilet and get into other stuff that for her own safety, as well as
> for the safety of the "stuff", I don't want her getting into. Since I
> can't watch her 24/7, I just shut the door so she can't be in there
> unattended. I don't want her falling out of an open window, so I keep
> the screens in place. I don't want her to get hurt by possibly jumping
> off the ledge of the porch chasing a bird in flight: guess what, she's
> not permitted on the porch. I don't want her to be tempted to play
> with electrical wires, so I tuck them out of her sight in plastic
> tubes. I don't want her to poison herself by licking household
> cleaners: she's not permitted in the cabinet they are stored in. *A
> cat has the same intellectual capacity as a 2 year old. I want her to
> be safe, so I keep an eye on her so I can protect her. *I just think
> it's ridiculous that appliance engineers can't leave the
> responsibility of keeping kids safe to their families and build things
> that are easy to use for the most people.- Hide quoted text -

You could make the same argument for nearly everything in our
litigious society. Lots of changes over the years have lawsuits
behind them.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 14:13:01 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> My pre-electronic control electric stove had regular dial controls on
> the back panel....

The one I replaced last year had top mounted dials at the front.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Catmandy (Sheryl) > wrote:

> I would love for my next stove to have front mounted controls, like my
> gas range did in my former home. I'm renting, so converting from
> electric to gas is not an option. All of the standard size stand-alone
> electric ranges I've seen have rear mounted control panels. WHY IS
> THAT?

It looks like it depends on your location. In Germany, you would have
hard time finding anything in the way of stoves or ranges, gas or
electric, with the controls anywhere *but* in the front. The very idea
of controls in the back is ridiculous in the extreme - and I've seen and
used such stoves in England. Ugh.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking
k k is offline

Nancy2 wrote:

>>> I think it started with child safety concerns, along with the
>>> possibility of an adult brushing up against or leaning against a
>>> front- mounted control and accidentally turning it on - have no
>>> clue why gas are different.

>>> N.

>> But you can control whether you turn something on or not. It's much
>> harder to control burning yourself when you have to hold your arm
>> over a tall, steaming pot to get at the controls behind it. It just
>> seems like the manufacturers put the controls on the back b/c it's
>> easier and safer for THEM, from a liability perspective.

> Hey, I didn't make the change, don't blame me! ;-) Yer preachin' to
> the choir.
>
> N.

Google turned up a few, and there are several at the high-end ($1500 to
$5000+)

http://www.number1direct.com/product...code=Shopzilla
http://www.number1direct.com/product.jhtm?id=51373
http://www.number1direct.com/product.jhtm?id=51416

Keith

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:

> Catmandy (Sheryl) > wrote:
>
> > I would love for my next stove to have front mounted controls, like my
> > gas range did in my former home. I'm renting, so converting from
> > electric to gas is not an option. All of the standard size stand-alone
> > electric ranges I've seen have rear mounted control panels. WHY IS
> > THAT?

> It looks like it depends on your location. In Germany, you would have
> hard time finding anything in the way of stoves or ranges, gas or
> electric, with the controls anywhere *but* in the front. The very idea
> of controls in the back is ridiculous in the extreme - and I've seen and
> used such stoves in England. Ugh.
>
> Victor

My last electric cooker in London had back controls. Fortunately, there
was one open side without a counter next to it, so shorty me could reach
around without burning myself. To be fair it was rather old.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Catmandy (Sheryl)" > wrote in message

> They have a gadget you can install on the front mounted knobs to keep
> little fingers from touching what they shouldn't.
> www.totshield.com
> Knowing this is available, you'd think it would be easier for all
> concerned to mount the knobs on the front of most of the electric
> ranges, woudn't you? Who would prefer to reach over hot pots to turn a
> knob??

Not being short I wouldn't have thought it wasn't safe to reach across the
stove to get to the controls, but you have a good point.

> I understand it's important to keep kids safe, but isn't that the
> parents' job?
> I dunno. My cat likes to shred toilet paper and splash around in the
> toilet and get into other stuff that for her own safety, as well as
> for the safety of the "stuff", I don't want her getting into. Since I
> can't watch her 24/7, I just shut the door so she can't be in there
> unattended. I don't want her falling out of an open window, so I keep
> the screens in place. I don't want her to get hurt by possibly jumping
> off the ledge of the porch chasing a bird in flight: guess what, she's
> not permitted on the porch. I don't want her to be tempted to play
> with electrical wires, so I tuck them out of her sight in plastic
> tubes. I don't want her to poison herself by licking household
> cleaners: she's not permitted in the cabinet they are stored in. A
> cat has the same intellectual capacity as a 2 year old. I want her to
> be safe, so I keep an eye on her so I can protect her. I just think
> it's ridiculous that appliance engineers can't leave the
> responsibility of keeping kids safe to their families and build things
> that are easy to use for the most people.

There are so many things you wouldn't think about when it comes to safety.
I was pet sitting for a friend who had way too many cats in my opinion, so
they got into everything. She already had her garbage disposal burned out
because one of the cats turned on the switch on the wall while she was out.
So she had to put tape over the switch to keep it in place. The first day I
went to check on her cats they had turned the water on in the kitchen sink.
Who knows how long it was running.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 9/9/2010 2:20 PM, Catmandy (Sheryl) wrote:
> When I was a kid, my parents had a GE Electric range, brown colored,
> with push-button controls mounted on the front panel. We bought the
> house in 1965 and that stove worked like a dream until 1990 or so!
> When we replaced it, the stove had rear panel mounted controls. And
> the stove I have now in my apartment has rear-mounted controls. I have
> always hated rear-mounted control panels on stoves!!
>
> I'm short. Not even 5 ft tall. When I have a tall pot going, I
> frequently get steam burns (or contact burns if I brush up against the
> lid) reaching over it to adjust the temperature or turn off the
> burner. I did it again today. Complicating this is that the only large
> diameter burner is located on the same side as the stove controls.
> Small burners on the right side have the oven controls behind them. Of
> course, the large diameter burner is the most used, since it
> accomodates the stock pot, the pasta pot, the pressure cooker, etc.
>
> I would love for my next stove to have front mounted controls, like my
> gas range did in my former home. I'm renting, so converting from
> electric to gas is not an option. All of the standard size stand-alone
> electric ranges I've seen have rear mounted control panels. WHY IS
> THAT?
>
> Why is it, gas ranges have front mounted controls but electric are on
> the back? I know it would be dangerous for homes with kids, but I
> don't have kids, never will. There should be options available for
> child-free homes which have a need for front mounted controls. At
> least 1 or 2 models, any way.
>
> What do people who are limited to a wheel chair do? I imagine the
> elderly have trouble with rear-mounted controls, too.

Those push-button ranges haven't been around for a long time, but I do
remember them ;> As mentioned already, they were most likely
discontinued for safety reasons! Hey, what toddler or young child
doesn't like to push button, eh!

As you pointed out, the controls for most gas ranges are in front (I
don't know why either) - but I'd almost prefer them to be in the back,
though. I'm rather short also and often when reaching to the back of
the stove top, I sometimes inadvertently push in one of the control
knobs as if it were to be turned on. Thankfully, the it doesn't get
twisted to turn on the gas and actually activate the electronic ignition
(whew!!!).

The gas range at my folks house has the control knobs on the right-hand
side of the burners from front to back (or would that be back to front?
VBG). Seems that's good compromise. It wouldn't be surprising if there
are models that have the controls on the left-hand side of the burners,
too, depending on the kitchen layout.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message

> This is the one in the apartment he
> http://products.geappliances.com/App...&Sku=JMP31WCWW

As much as I'd like to have a smooth top, I think I'll end up with something
like this. I want stainless steel though. That does look a lot nicer than
what I have.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> "Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
>

>> This is the one in the apartment he
>> http://products.geappliances.com/App...&Sku=JMP31WCWW

> As much as I'd like to have a smooth top, I think I'll end up with
> something like this. I want stainless steel though. That does look a lot
> nicer than what I have.

Oh, but that is a drop in rather than a stand-alone. I know what Sheryl
means about the stand-alone having the controls at the back of it. I don't
think a drop-in will work for me. It would have to stand on the kitchen
floor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/9/2010 5:20 PM, Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 13:35:12 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sep 9, 1:34 pm, "Catmandy > wrote:

>>> The link you provided was for gas ranges. I didn't see any electric
>>> ranges at Lowes with front mounted controls.- Hide quoted text -

>> these do http://www.geappliances.com/products...ic_slide_drop/

> This is the one in the apartment he
> http://products.geappliances.com/App...&Sku=JMP31WCWW
>
> Christine

If one goes to the GE Appliances site, finds "ranges", and clicks on
"ADA Compliant" one will find several with front controls. Scrolling
through the Sears site reveals a few models from Kitchenaid and Kenmore.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 12:33:27 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> > wrote:
>

>> > I would love for my next stove to have front mounted controls, like my
>> > gas range did in my former home. I'm renting, so converting from
>> > electric to gas is not an option. All of the standard size stand-alone
>> > electric ranges I've seen have rear mounted control panels. WHY IS
>> > THAT?
>> >

>> I think it started with child safety concerns, along with the
>> possibility of an adult brushing up against or leaning against a front-
>> mounted control and accidentally turning it on - have no clue why gas
>> are different.
>>

> That makes sense. Rear mounted "control panels" are
> electronic/digital, aren't they? I guess I will have to take the
> front mounted knobs off my newish cooktop when I have future toddlers
> in the house.
>
> --

Or you could do like most parents and grandparents of yesteryear did: keep
toddlers out of the kitchen and away from the stove

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 01:12:38 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> Or you could do like most parents and grandparents of yesteryear did: keep
> toddlers out of the kitchen and away from the stove

When you're the only person in the house? I don't think so.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 01:12:38 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> Or you could do like most parents and grandparents of yesteryear did:
>> keep
>> toddlers out of the kitchen and away from the stove

> When you're the only person in the house? I don't think so.

Barbara, you know perfectly well my father was deployed to other countries
for most of my childhood. (Hell, he was in Okinawa when I was born and I
didn't see him until I was a year old.) My mother was the only adult in the
house and she had to deal not only with me but also my two older brothers.
She didn't seem to have a problem saying "NO" or "Stay away from that" or
"Don't touch that". And we listened. None of us ever messed with the
stove, or stuck metal objects into light sockets, or drank bleach...

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 9, 11:03*pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>
> ...> "Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> .. .

> >> This is the one in the apartment he
> >>http://products.geappliances.com/App...r?REQUEST=Spec....

> > As much as I'd like to have a smooth top, I think I'll end up with
> > something like this. *I want stainless steel though. *That does look a lot
> > nicer than what I have.

> Oh, but that is a drop in rather than a stand-alone. *I know what Sheryl
> means about the stand-alone having the controls at the back of it. *I don't
> think a drop-in will work for me. *It would have to stand on the kitchen
> floor.

Take a look at slide-in ranges. (Do you have cabinets on both sides
of the
range?) You might need to fiddle with some sort of filler piece at
the back.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 9, 8:55*pm, Sky > wrote:
> On 9/9/2010 2:20 PM, Catmandy (Sheryl) wrote:
>

> > When I was a kid, my parents had a GE Electric range, brown colored,
> > with push-button controls mounted on the front panel. We bought the
> > house in 1965 and that stove worked like a dream until 1990 or so!
> > When we replaced it, the stove had rear panel mounted controls. And
> > the stove I have now in my apartment has rear-mounted controls. I have
> > always hated rear-mounted control panels on stoves!!

> > I'm short. Not even 5 ft tall. When I have a tall pot going, I
> > frequently get steam burns (or contact burns if I brush up against the
> > lid) reaching over it to adjust the temperature or turn off the
> > burner. I did it again today. Complicating this is that the only large
> > diameter burner is located on the same side as the stove controls.
> > Small burners on the right side have the oven controls behind them. Of
> > course, the large diameter burner is the most used, since it
> > accomodates the stock pot, the pasta pot, the pressure cooker, etc.

> > I would love for my next stove to have front mounted controls, like my
> > gas range did in my former home. I'm renting, so converting from
> > electric to gas is not an option. All of the standard size stand-alone
> > electric ranges I've seen *have rear mounted control panels. WHY IS
> > THAT?

> > Why is it, gas ranges have front mounted controls but electric are on
> > the back? I know it would be dangerous for homes with kids, but I
> > don't have kids, never will. There should be options available for
> > child-free homes which have a need for front mounted controls. At
> > least 1 or 2 models, any way.

> > What do people who are limited to a wheel chair do? I imagine the
> > elderly have trouble with rear-mounted controls, too.

> Those push-button ranges haven't been around for a long time, but I do
> remember them ;> *As mentioned already, they were most likely
> discontinued for safety reasons! *Hey, what toddler or young child
> doesn't like to push button, eh!
>
> As you pointed out, the controls for most gas ranges are in front (I
> don't know why either) - but I'd almost prefer them to be in the back,
> though. *I'm rather short also and often when reaching to the back of
> the stove top, I sometimes inadvertently push in one of the control
> knobs as if it were to be turned on. *Thankfully, the it *doesn't get
> twisted to turn on the gas and actually activate the electronic ignition
> (whew!!!).

A couple times a year, I turn on the gas with my gut (or my husband
does). It doesn't take long to discover.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 00:56:01 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> Nancy2 wrote:

> It must be a US thing. In the UK stand-alone stoves almost all
>have controls at the front nowadays. The exceptions have them at one
>side of the cooker top. I haven't seen one with controls at the back
>since the 1960's.
>
> Janet

Yes it must. Italy, Switzerland, France - never saw rear mounted
control panels either.

Nathalie in Switzerland
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 07:49:25 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 01:12:38 -0400, "jmcquown" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Or you could do like most parents and grandparents of yesteryear did:
>>> keep
>>> toddlers out of the kitchen and away from the stove

>> When you're the only person in the house? I don't think so.
>>

>Barbara, you know perfectly well my father was deployed to other countries
>for most of my childhood. (Hell, he was in Okinawa when I was born and I
>didn't see him until I was a year old.) My mother was the only adult in the
>house and she had to deal not only with me but also my two older brothers.
>She didn't seem to have a problem saying "NO" or "Stay away from that" or
>"Don't touch that". And we listened. None of us ever messed with the
>stove, or stuck metal objects into light sockets, or drank bleach...
>
>Jill

Exactly. That's what we did with our kids, same results. We really
didn't change much in our home when we had children - to some people's
great amazement - well, there's one such thing called watching your
kids (when they're very small) and another one called education, and
whoa, they work!!!

Nathalie in Switzerland
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2010 12:12 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> Or you could do like most parents and grandparents of yesteryear did:
> keep toddlers out of the kitchen and away from the stove

I had front burners on a drop-in countertop range when I bought my first
house. Could not afford to replace it. It was a no brainer to take the
knobs off and put them where the little ones couldn't reach them. Anyone
who wanted to turn on the stove, got a knob from the back of the counter
and turned on the gas.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 10, 10:34*am, Nathalie Chiva
<Nathaliedotchivaatgmail.remove.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 07:49:25 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>

> >"sf" > wrote in message
> .. .

> >> When you're the only person in the house? *I don't think so.

> >Barbara, you know perfectly well my father was deployed to other countries
> >for most of my childhood. *(Hell, he was in Okinawa when I was born and I
> >didn't see him until I was a year old.) *My mother was the only adult in the
> >house and she had to deal not only with me but also my two older brothers.
> >She didn't seem to have a problem saying "NO" or "Stay away from that" or
> >"Don't touch that". *And we listened. *None of us ever messed with the
> >stove, or stuck metal objects into light sockets, or drank bleach...

> >Jill

> Exactly. That's what we did with our kids, same results. We really
> didn't change much in our home when we had children - to some people's
> great amazement - well, there's one such thing called watching your
> kids (when they're very small) and another one called education, and
> whoa, they work!!!
>
> Nathalie in Switzerland

Yea, exactly. I never played with the buttons on the stove because my
mother told me never to touch the stove. WHen I was old enough to
learn how to cook, I was taught how to properly use the stove and also
that it wasn't a toy, never to touch the stove unless you're cooking
something. I also had a "toy" stove to use when I wanted to play. I
wasn't permitted to use my mother's pots and pans as playthings,
either. I had toys for that. Mom's stuff was Mom's, Dad's stuff was
Dad's, and my stuff was mine. I was taught they didn't mess with my
stuff, I shouldn't mess with theirs. I was taught to respect other
people's stuff.

Do parents not teach their kids any longer?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 09:51:41 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:

> On 9/10/2010 12:12 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Or you could do like most parents and grandparents of yesteryear did:
>> keep toddlers out of the kitchen and away from the stove
>>

> I had front burners on a drop-in countertop range when I bought my first
> house. Could not afford to replace it. It was a no brainer to take the
> knobs off and put them where the little ones couldn't reach them. Anyone
> who wanted to turn on the stove, got a knob from the back of the counter
> and turned on the gas.

a clever solution.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Catmandy (Sheryl) wrote:

> Do parents not teach their kids any longer?

A lot of teaching (which includes the word "no") has been eliminated
in the attempt to foster creativity, self esteem, and friendship between
parents and kids.

It is leading to a generation of undisciplined kids with no impulse
control. I wonder how long it will take these parents to realize
it has been a Big Mistake.

Sorry, I am feeling very cynical today.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 05:54:45 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 01:12:38 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Or you could do like most parents and grandparents of yesteryear did: keep
> > > toddlers out of the kitchen and away from the stove

> > When you're the only person in the house? I don't think so.

> My sister used baby gates and baby panels (child fencing) to good
> advantage when her husband was at school or work...

I'd be using baby gates to keep the toddlers *IN* the kitchen, not out
when I'm alone. I want them in sight.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 01:12:38 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Or you could do like most parents and grandparents of yesteryear did:
> >> keep
> >> toddlers out of the kitchen and away from the stove

> > When you're the only person in the house? I don't think so.
> >

> Barbara, you know perfectly well my father was deployed to other countries
> for most of my childhood. (Hell, he was in Okinawa when I was born and I
> didn't see him until I was a year old.) My mother was the only adult in the
> house and she had to deal not only with me but also my two older brothers.
> She didn't seem to have a problem saying "NO" or "Stay away from that" or
> "Don't touch that". And we listened. None of us ever messed with the
> stove, or stuck metal objects into light sockets, or drank bleach...

There are kids who do mess with dials anyway. We took the knobs off
of all our electric wall heaters for that reason. I am not worried
about really little ones turning on the stove because of built in
safety features, but I am concerned about them "adjusting" the flame
after it has been turned on.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:54:04 +0100, Janet > wrote:

> I used a babygate between the
> kitchen and next room;we could all easily see/hear each other. It's
> perfectly possible to cook and safely supervise tiny children.

It's not possible to supervise anywhere but the kitchen in my house.
There is no line of sight anywhere and sound is deceptive.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.